JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The Animation
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The Animation (ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 JoJo no Kimyō na Bōken) is a 2012 TV anime produced by David Production, adaptating Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency, the first and second parts of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series.
The first episode of Season 1 was broadcast in Japan on October 5, 2012, ending after 26 episodes on April 5, 2013. Season 1 covers the entirety of Parts 1 and 2, encompassing 113 manga chapters. A second season, covering Stardust Crusaders, aired in Japan from 2014 to 2015. A third season, covering Diamond is Unbreakable, aired in Japan in 2016. A fourth season, covering Vento Aureo, aired in Japan from 2018 to 2019. A fifth season covering Stone Ocean was announced on April 4, 2021.
The media distribution service Crunchyroll has obtained the streaming licenses for all seasons of the anime. On July 21, 2016, it was revealed that the English dub had been scheduled to air on Adult Swim's Toonami block in October. The season premiered on October 15, 2016 and ended its run on April 15, 2017.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Re-Edited (ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 総集編 JoJo no Kimyō na Bōken Sōshūhen) is a highlight compilation of the first season that condenses all 26 episodes into three movie-like features. The first volume (approx. 105 minutes) highlights the events of Phantom Blood, while the last two contain Battle Tendency.
This re-telling of the TV anime omits several scenes but includes newly-recorded narration to help piece together the story. Several sound effects have also been replaced or updated. The collection also includes multiple discs containing all 35 interviews of JoJo raDIO, a web radio program hosted by Yōji Ueda.
|Tokyo MX||(Oct 5, 2012) Fridays at 24:30|
|MBS||(Oct 6, 2012) Saturdays at 25:58|
|CBC||(Oct 10, 2012) Wednesdays at 26:30|
|TBC||(Oct 9, 2012) Tuesdays at 25:30|
|RKB||(Oct 8, 2012) Mondays at 26:00|
|BS11||(Oct 12, 2012) Fridays at 24:00|
|Animax||(Jan 29, 2013) Tuesdays at 19:30 |
(repeats 22:30 - 27:30)
|au Hikari||Fridays at 24:00|
|J:COM||Fridays at 24:00|
|Tsutaya TV||Tuesdays at 24:00|
|Nico Nico TV||Thursdays at 12:00|
|Nico Nico Live||Thursdays at 23:00|
|Bandai Channel||Thursdays at 12:00|
|Hikari TV||Fridays at 24:00|
|Video Unlimited||Fridays at 12:00|
|Toonami||(Oct 15, 2016) Saturdays at 12:30|
- The key art used for the first part of the anime, featuring Jonathan Joestar and Dio Brando, is based on the cover used for the first volume of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure manga. The cover was also used for the series debut in Weekly Shonen Jump magazine.
- The anime was announced on July 5, 2012 in celebration of the 25th Anniversary of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and unveiled during the Hirohiko Araki JoJo Exhibition 2012 press conference alongside JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle. The teaser presented a countdown video, starting with 8 to 1, each number appearing on their respective JoJo protagonist's star birthmark.
- Compared to future seasons, the Blu-Ray Disc versions of only this season are streamed on Crunchyroll. This is likely due to the website obtaining the license well after the anime finished airing, contrasting with the hour-delay upload schedules of succeeding parts.
- Producer Hisataka Kasama appointed two directors for the series: Naokatsu Tsuda and Kenichi Suzuki, which is unusual for an anime. It is because Kasama felt that it would be difficult for one person to adapt Hirohiko Araki's work and so he chose Tsuda because he was "a good comedic director" and Suzuki was a "good action director". Naokatsu Tsuda says that if he had been asked to direct the anime by himself, then he might have refused, but he felt reassured to have a partner for this role.
- Official Site http://jojo-animation.com/fb_bt/
- Blu-Ray/DVD Releases
- Anime Gallery
- Genga Archive
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: TV Anime Key Frame Collection AAA
- Model Sheet Archive
- Storyboard Archive