Tonio Trussardi (トニオ・トラサルディー Tonio Torasarudī) is a tertiary ally featured in the fourth part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Diamond is Unbreakable, introduced in the "Let's Go Eat Some Italian" story arc. He also appears in the sixth episode of Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan.
Tonio is a professional chef of Italian origins working in an Italian restaurant named Trattoria Trussardi, at the edge of the town of Morioh. He is also a Stand User who uses his 'Pearl Jam' to enhance his cooking.
Tonio is a man of average to above-average height and medium build. He keeps short, light, neat hair; and he often wears a genial expression.
Tonio is only shown in his chef's uniform, comprising a light or white double-breasted jacket, a loose tie, an apron, and a tall, cylindrical hat. He wears the small, metallic emblem of a "T" at the upper corners of the chest his jacket and apron, and at the frontal fold of his hat.
In Poaching Seashore, Tonio's seen wearing a sleeveless wetsuit with two of his "T" emblems on the chest going downwards and a set of waterproof shoes. Despite the swimming attire, Tonio still wears his chef's hat
- What greater joy is there for a chef but to do just that? This is what I live for. This is what I want.
Tonio Trussardi is a benevolent chef whose goal is to make people happy with his cooking.
As a chef, Tonio is very dedicated to his craft and his ambition is to serve and cure people of their ailments, showing a benevolent and caring personality. In Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan, Tonio also confesses that he came to Morioh to cure his girlfriend Virginia. Although he was trained as a chef, he made extensive work to research the human body, studied alternative medicine, and looked for rare ingredients that are especially healthy. As a result, he can easily diagnose his clients and creates the best dishes to cure them of their ailments.
Tonio expresses great pride in his country's national cooking, thinking that Italian cooking is so healthy people here live long lives thanks to it and that Italians are the best when it comes to cooking tomatoes. Secondly, Tonio has a preference for simple, home-made style cooking; he wishes to make dishes that mothers can pass down to their children and is opposed to pleasing "snobby critics". To establish himself, Tonio didn't hesitate to work overseas and create his restaurant in the small coastal town of Morioh, in great part because Morioh's closeness to the sea and farmlands allows him to acquire especially fresh and high-quality products.
Tonio also works as his restaurant's waiter and displays a charismatic and courteous personality. It allows him to convince even reluctant clients to try out his dishes. As a chef, Tonio is rightfully furious when a client intrudes upon his kitchen as they bring bacteria from outside. His usual smile turns into a raging grin and while he doesn't turn violent, he still forces the intruder to clean up his kitchen as a punishment.
- Main article: Pearl Jam
Tonio's Stand is Pearl Jam, a swarm of vegetable-like creatures that infuse themselves into Tonio's dishes, and increase the healing potency of the dishes to supernatural levels.
Tonio is a preeminent chef specialized in Italian cuisine. He is able to create delicious dishes using the highest grade ingredients. Tonio also mentions having studied several undisclosed foreign gastronomy.
Esoteric Knowledge: Tonio Trussardi has studied many miscellaneous esoteric healing techniques such as palm-reading to diagnose ailments. He also mentions having studied Chinese medicinal art, Amazonian medicine, and researched various African healing herbs. It helps him select obscure ingredients for his dishes.
Tonio's full name is Antonio Volpe, the older brother of villain Massimo Volpe. He originally came from a well-known bureaucratic family. As the eldest son, he was supposed to gain the family inheritance when he came of age - but when he voiced his desire to become a chef, he was disowned by his father who was trapped by antiquated ideals of class. Antonio then left his inheritance to his brother Massimo, and he relinquished his surname for his mother's maiden name, Trussardi. Antonio then travels the world, looking for a place where he can establish himself in the world of culinary arts, ultimately settling in Japan.
Tonio did extensive studies in cuisines all around the world and is extremely proud and confident in the skills he accumulated. Some of these studies include Chinese medicinal arts, Amazonian medicine, and African herbs. During his travels around the world he developed his Stand Pearl Jam, allowing for a much better cooking ability, but no one in his country, Italy, recognized his new ability. Due to being too young he couldn't open his own restaurant there, so he traveled to Morioh where the competition between restaurants is more intense and his chances were bigger.
Diamond is Unbreakable
Okuyasu Nijimura and Josuke Higashikata find Tonio's restaurant in Morioh and decided to visit it. Tonio presents himself to be different from other chefs, as he doesn't have a menu and the food he prepares is decided by himself after examining his customer's hands to determine what their ailments are. He examines Okuyasu, determining that Okuyasu had constipation, stiff shoulders, had only 4 hours of sleep and athlete's foot, and serves him food to make him feel better, but Josuke grows suspicious of him after several weird incidents with Okuyasu after eating the food. Okuyasu's eyes water uncontrollably after drinking African mineral water but afterwards, Okuyasu feels re-energized, as if he had just had a full 10 hours sleep. His shoulder begins to ache and Okuyasu ends up rubbing enough dirt and dead skin off of his shoulder to make a softball out of them after eating a cheese and tomato dish but afterwards, his arms feel much better and he can stretch in a far more agile fashion. After eating a spicy pasta dish named "Spaghetti Alla Puttanesca", two of Okuyasu's teeth cavities are violently ejected and new teeth grow in their place. Josuke becomes incredibly suspicious and discovers miniature organisms in the food, determining them to be Tonio's Stand, Pearl Jam.
Josuke investigates the kitchen and finds the main dish, lamb and applesauce, on a nearby countertop, as well as Tonio himself feeding the same dish to a small dog. Said dog's intestines are violently expelled from its body and the same fate befalls Okuyasu when he runs into the kitchen and eats the dish hungrily, his intestines bursting from his stomach. Tonio notices Josuke and becomes incredibly violent and angry, throwing a knife at Josuke and thrusting a bar of soap into Josuke's face, demanding he follow proper kitchen hygiene and berating him for entering the kitchen without permission.
Amazingly, Okuyasu's stomach feels far better, his constipation cured, and the dog who also ate the same dish is also fully healed, much to Tonio's joy. Tonio clears up the misunderstanding by stating that his only goal was to make good food that could make everyone feel better. He discovered his Stand whilst training in his culinary style, but since his hometown of Naples did not accept his style and he was too young to legally be allowed to start his own restaurant by Italian law, he moved to Japan, to the town of Morioh where, while competition was harsh, the opportunities were rife.
Though the misunderstanding is cleared up and Tonio is revealed to ultimately be a good person with an unorthodox Stand, Tonio still forces Josuke to clean the kitchen from top to bottom whilst he prepares Okuyasu's pudding dessert to cure his athlete's foot.
He later appears among the Stand users warned by Josuke about Yoshikage Kira after Shigekiyo Yangu's death. He promises to keep an eye on his customers. His final appearance is at the end of Part 4 where he, along with the other heroes, bid farewell to the spirit of Reimi Sugimoto.
Several years later, Rohan Kishibe goes to Tonio's restaurant and is cured of his sleepy eyes. In return, Tonio asks Rohan to assist him in seeking out "Disk Abalone", a Morioh-exclusive fish located in the "Leopard Spotted Rocks" coastline. Though uneasy of the legality of this at first, Rohan agrees to join him out of self-interest. Later that night, Rohan and Tonio travel to the outer rocks and discover a swarm of abalone in the water. Rohan notes that the property belonged to the Higashikata's, which is why fishermen cannot legally sell the fish. Tonio reveals that his true intent for obtaining the abalones was to cure his lover's tumor, an illness that even his Pearl Jam was unable to fix. The two swim into the water and begin collecting a few by hand, though after awhile Tonio suddenly disappears, much to Rohan's surprise. He discovers that the Abalones had the tendency to cling onto objects and were slowly drowning both him and Tonio. Rohan eventually saves them by using Heaven's Door to make a nearby octopus attack the swarm. Later, Rohan, Koichi, Okuyasu, and Josuke are seen dining on octopus in Trattoria Trussardi. Tonio is seen in the kitchen with his lover, Virginia, who is fully recovered thanks to Tonio's new abalone dish.
Chapters / Episodes
- “Si, Signore, I am Italian. My name is Tonio Trussardi. Call me Tonio. (シ...シニョール ワタシ「イタリア人でス トニオ・トラサルディーといいます トニオと呼んでくださいShi... Shinyōru, watashi「Itaria-jin」desu. Tonio Torasarudī to īmasu. Tonio to yonde kudasai)”
- “The people of Southern Italy, the people of the coast, have been known for living live lives with virtually no illnesses. That it due to the fact that they eat healthy Italian food. I will prepare you a meal that will make you feel much better.”
- “Now! Let us continue the meal!”
- “I will never make food that will appeal only to a few snobby food critics. What I aim for is to make food that will be passed down from mother to daughter, food that respects its ingredients, food that will go on as time passes.”
- “That is simply fantastic! My greatest joy is... to have my customers enjoy my food, and to feel better afterwards.”
- “In the world of Italian cuisine, someone as young as I am is not permitted to start his own restaurant... but in Japan, there are many different kinds of cuisine. And though the competition is harsh, there are also many opportunities. That is why I came here.”
- “In a kitchen... bacteria is our worst enemy! (調理場という所は... バイキンが一番の敵デスッ！Chōriba to iu tokoro wa... baikin ga ichiban no teki desu~!)”
- “We'll poach them. (「密漁」をします'Mitsuryou' o shimasu.)”
- “Bene. (
- “I need them, no matter the cost. The black abalones of Morioh... I was finally able to bring her to Japan... She's my lover whom I left back in my hometown of Amalfi. Her name is Virgina. She has a tumour.... the size of a grapefruit in her head. She's sick... She can no longer stand or walk around... To my disgrace... my Pearl Jam cannot make her healthy. So I must give her those black abalones to eat. It's the food of the gods... My hope is that it may help her recover, if even a little... If I can use it to make a new dish... So... So I left my hometown to come here to Morioh.”
- In JoJolion, Tonio's restaurant is referenced by Jobin Higashikata when he mentions a Trussardi Italian restaurant.
- Tonio Trussardi is referenced in the TV drama adaptation of Kushagara, where the character Jugo Shishi brings a pizza box labeled "Tonio pizza" to Rohan Kishibe's home.