Magician's Red (マジシャンズレッド（魔術師の赤） Majishanzu Reddo) is the Stand of Muhammad Avdol, featured in the third part of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, Stardust Crusaders.
Magician's Red is a humanoid Stand whose appearance is that of a bird-human hybrid, with the ability to produce and manipulate fire in various ways.
Magician's Red appears as a humanoid figure with an avian head modeled after a phoenix. It has a heavily muscular upper body and its feathered legs are sometimes covered in burning flames. Its arms have claws instead of nails and it wears dark bracelets on both of its wrists. The Stand was originally barefooted, but after Avdol's return, it wears Arabian shoes.
In the OVA, Magician's Red sports thick patches of feathers around its wrists instead of bracelets. The feathers on its head also sprout further down its neck and it has a shorter beak.
Its design was inspired by the renegade god Horus, from Enki Bilal's Nikopol Trilogy. Magician's Red was given a bird-like head so that the heroes' silhouettes wouldn't look too similar to one another when they're side by side.
It does not show any personality, having a constant aggressive demeanor while listening without fail to its user. However, Avdol claims that his Stand does not forgive anyone, even enemy Stand users.
Magician's Red is based on the first card in the Major Arcana tarot deck, The Magician, which represents new beginnings and the unification of the physical and spiritual worlds.
Magician's Red is a Close-Range with the ability to freely manipulate fire. It is also physically powerful as a single kick from it was able to shatter Judgement's armor, whereas Silver Chariot couldn't. Avdol prefers open spaces in order to bring out the true power of Magician's Red.
Magician's Red's signature ability is to freely generate and control fire. Avdol utilizes several techniques with his ability.
Magician's Red's signature ability is to freely generate and control fire. The resulting flames are intense enough to evaporate metal projectiles mid-air and slice railroad tracks. Moreover, Magician's Red's flames are not ordinary flames, but flames that can be freely manipulated by Avdol. With a thought, the fortuneteller can redirect his flames mid-air, give them any shape, control how intense their destructive power is, and even remotely detonate his flames, instantly incinerating any burning targets.
As the flames are the product of a Stand, they are invisible to non-Stand users despite still having the same properties as normal fire; non-Stand users merely feel the heat and see the generated heat waves. Additionally, Magician's Red's fire does not appear to produce smoke, as long as the flame's haven't landed on a target and set the target itself on fire.
Despite their supernatural properties, it was also shown that Magician's Red flames are vulnerable to water and can be extinguished when doused with it.
Chapters / Episodes
- Chapter 115: Jotaro Kujo, Part 2
- Chapter 116: Jotaro Kujo, Part 3
- Chapter 121: The Power Called a "Stand"
- Chapter 123: Tower of Gray
- Chapter 124: Silver Chariot, Part 1
- Chapter 125: Silver Chariot, Part 2
- Chapter 126: Silver Chariot, Part 3
- Chapter 127: Dark Blue Moon, Part 1 (Cover only)
- Chapter 129: Dark Blue Moon, Part 3
- Chapter 142: Emperor and Hanged Man, Part 3
- Chapter 177: Judgement, Part 4
- Chapter 178: Judgement, Part 5
- Chapter 182: High Priestess, Part 4
- Chapter 186: "The Fool" Iggy and "Geb" N'Doul, Part 4
- Chapter 202: "Bastet" Mariah, Part 4
- Chapter 203: "Bastet" Mariah, Part 5
- Chapter 204: "Bastet" Mariah, Part 6
- Chapter 239: The Miasma of the Void, Vanilla Ice, Part 2 (Death)
- SC Episode 1: A Man Possessed by an Evil Spirit
- SC Episode 2: Who Will Be the Judge?! (Flashback)
- SC Episode 3: DIO's Curse
- SC Episode 4: Tower of Gray
- SC Episode 5: Silver Chariot
- SC Episode 6: Dark Blue Moon
- SC Episode 10: Emperor and Hanged Man, Part 1
- SC Episode 22: Judgement, Part 2
- SC Episode 23: High Priestess, Part 1
- SC Episode 24: High Priestess, Part 2
- SC Episode 26: "The Fool" Iggy and "Geb" N'Doul, Part 2
- SC Episode 31: "Bastet" Mariah, Part 2
- SC Episode 32: "Sethan" Alessi, Part 1
- SC Episode 42: The Miasma of the Void, Vanilla Ice, Part 1 (Death)
- GW Episode 29: Destination: Rome! The Colosseum (Silhouette/Photo only)
- Episode 1 (OVA): The Evil Spirit
- Episode 2 (OVA): Hierophant Green
- Episode 3 (OVA): Silver Chariot and Strength
- Episode 7 (OVA): Justice
- Episode 8 (OVA): Iggy the Fool and N'Doul the GEB (Pt. I)
- Episode 9 (OVA): Iggy the Fool and N'Doul the GEB (Pt. II)
- Episode 11 (OVA): DIO's World: The Warrior of the Void: Vanilla Ice
Creation and Development
Magician's Red was a difficult Stand for Araki to depict due to its perpetual manipulation of fire. He notes that while fire is a common power in other manga and movies, it's only capable of destruction and can "break the balance" when used too loosely. As a result, fire and poison are two abilities that he'd like to avoid using again.
- The name of Magician's Red's attack, Crossfire Hurricane, comes from the opening line of the Rolling Stones' song "Jumpin' Jack Flash", which is also the name of Lang Rangler's Stand in Stone Ocean.
- ↑ JOJOVELLER: Araki's Stand Commentaries - Magician's Red
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 JOJO A-GO!GO!: STANDS, p.14
- ↑ Chapter 178: Judgement, Part 5
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Chapter 116: Jotaro Kujo, Part 3
- ↑ Chapter 125: Silver Chariot, Part 2
- ↑ Chapter 126: Silver Chariot, Part 3
- ↑ Chapter 239: The Miasma of the Void, Vanilla Ice, Part 2
- ↑ JoJonium Volume 13 - Special Interview