Enya the Hag
Enya the Hag (エンヤ婆 Enya-bā), also known as Enya Geil (エンヤ・ガイル Enya Gairu), is a primary antagonist featured in the third part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Stardust Crusaders, specifically the "Justice" story arc. She is also mentioned several times in the fourth part, Diamond is Unbreakable, and the fifth part, Vento Aureo.
Enya holds a high station among DIO's confidantes. She is the mother of J. Geil; and after her son's death, ambushes Jotaro's group herself with the help of her fog Stand, Justice.
In Diamond is Unbreakable, it is revealed that she had a key role in developing the Stand population when she acquired the Bow and Arrow, and in Vento Aureo it is revealed that she bought said Stand arrows from Diavolo.
Enya is a small elderly woman with large, puffy light hair and two pigtails. Her wrinkled face is dominated by her large eyes and toothless mouth. She wears large baggy robes. She is seldom if ever shown with teeth; and like her son, she bears two right hands. Enya uses a long wooden club (longer than she is tall) as a cane.
When she masks herself as an innkeeper, she wraps a set of bandages around the hand on her left to prevent it from being seen as a right hand.
Enya is an evil hag dedicated to DIO's cause.
As a servant of DIO, Enya is quite malevolent. Her first act is to send seven Stand users to assassinate the Joestar Group. When she uses Justice, Enya also takes pleasure in humiliating her victims, perhaps out of a will to get revenge, and has, for instance, forced Hol Horse to swallow his hand and then shoot himself with his own Stand, but also wanted to make Polnareff lick her toilets clean. Enya has a materialistic approach to life, stating that humans live to obtain what they want, be it money, sex or power. She also gratuitously strikes a cat with a cane on her way out.
Enya is one of DIO's most devout followers. She notably thinks the world of him, believing that with his Stand The World, he is invincible and the Joestars cannot hope to defeat him; on another note, she worshiped DIO so much that she refused to believe that he ordered her execution. Fascinated by the Vampire, her ambition was to stay by his side and witness his life.
As a mother, Enya deeply loves her son J. Geil to a twisted degree. Because he served DIO, Enya thinks of him as a noble man and assumes that the heroes only defeated him because of a dirty trick. At the same time, she seemed to either ignore or think nothing of the crimes he's committed. She shares a link with her son which makes her receive the same damage he does, and it is through this link that she learns how her son was killed by Polnareff. Horrified by the fate of her son, Enya briefly cries over her offspring's death before succumbing to rage and vowing to kill the Joestar Group herself. She also wanted Hol Horse dead as soon as she knew he didn't help J.Geil against Polnareff, claiming he had as much of a part in his death as the Crusaders.
- Main article: Justice
Enya's Stand is Justice; a ghostly humanoid mass enabling her both to create illusions and to control her targets' movements by entering wounds in their bodies. Justice is a Stand that represents the Tarot Card "Justice", which serves as a reminder that every action has its consequences and responsibilities. Enya represents this by her desire to kill everyone involved in her son's death in order to uphold justice for him against his killers, showing that the decision to kill him held serious consequences for them.
Though elderly, Enya is shown to be insanely fast and can even keep up with a younger adult; even approaching an equal fight with Polnareff's Silver Chariot using only a pair of scissors. Enya possesses esoteric knowledge relating to Stands and other seemingly unprecedented phenomena.
Enya is mentioned to have bought five Stand-creating Arrows from a nineteen-year-old Diavolo and used one of them on DIO to produce his Stand. Other Arrows were later passed down to individuals such as Father Nijimura and Yoshihiro Kira.
In the spin-off Crazy Diamond's Demonic Heartbreak, Enya is mentioned to have assigned Tarot Cards to each of the seven assassins she sent to kill the Joestar Group. She wanted to grant J. Geil the 'Emperor' card but she saw that Fate had decided for Hol Horse to have the card.
Stardust Crusaders (1988)
Enya is introduced as DIO's confidante and confidently states the seven Stand users she has sent to Asia, among them her son J. Geil, will finish off the Joestar Group.
However, all seven Stand users fail and her son is killed, causing her to cry angrily and swear revenge on the group while stating that serving DIO is the only purpose she has left. She then uses her Stand to change the desert graveyard into a large town in Multan, Pakistan, using the people as puppets.
When the Joestar group enter the town, Enya greets them and invites them to her hotel. However, she almost gives herself away when she calls Joseph Joestar by his last name on impulse and is suspected by Jotaro Kujo. Hol Horse also arrives to greet her about the Joestar group but Enya, believing Horse to have betrayed her son, stabs him in the right arm to control it and Horse ends up shooting himself with Emperor.
Enya, upon hearing Jean Pierre Polnareff come downstairs, crouches over and pretends to have collapsed. Polnareff helps her get up and starts a conversation, wondering where her family could be. In doing so, Polnareff unwittingly enrages Enya as he keeps reminding her he killed her son. Enya has trouble not attacking Polnareff on the spot. However, Hol Horse reveals that he was actually alive and warns Polnareff about Enya's attack, forcing her to attempt to stab Polnareff with scissors and chase after him with her crowd of corpse puppets in a rage. Polnareff locks himself in the toilets. She does, however, finally have one of her puppets stab his tongue and forces him to lick the toilet in the restroom where he barricaded himself.
When Jotaro kicks the door in, Enya directs Jotaro to Polnareff's location in the bathroom but makes the mistake of calling Jotaro by name, exposing her identity as another one of DIO's Stand users (her excuse of Jotaro having signed his name on the checkbook becomes flimsy once he reveals he signed his name as "Qtaro" rather than "Jotaro"). She then assaults Jotaro with her puppets, but Jotaro blasts them all away, only failing to prevent a baby's corpse from injuring his leg. Enya gloats over defeating Jotaro due to her Stand's amorphism, but Jotaro threatens her to breathe in. Enya does this but realizes too late that Star Platinum has inhaled her Stand, causing her to faint from asphyxiation.
Enya is later brought along to Karachi so that the heroes can interrogate her about DIO's ability. When she wakes up, she recognizes Steely Dan and tries to explain that she hasn't revealed anything. Still, Steely Dan says that DIO ordered her execution anyway because she knows too much and activates DIO's flesh bud that he secretly planted within her brain. Agonizing from the flesh bud inside of her, Enya is asked what is DIO's ability by Joseph. However, she refuses to believe DIO wouldn't trust her and keeps silent about DIO; subsequently dying in Joseph's arms.
In the OVA, her fight is different. She uses Justice to change her appearance to that of a young woman (which might've been a reference to Nena). Later she changes back to her old appearance and accompanies the group acting like an innocent old woman, but is discovered when Jotaro uses the cigarette trick he used on the Captain Tennille impostor to discover her identity as a Stand user. When defeated, the spore on her kills Enya on its own, as Steely Dan doesn't appear.
Chapters / Episodes
- Chapter 130: Strength, Part 1
- Chapter 139: Yellow Temperance, Part 4 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 147: Empress, Part 2
- Chapter 154: Justice, Part 1
- Chapter 155: Justice, Part 2
- Chapter 156: Justice, Part 3
- Chapter 157: Justice, Part 4
- Chapter 158: Justice, Part 5
- Chapter 159: Justice, Part 6
- Chapter 160: Lovers, Part 1
- Chapter 161: Lovers, Part 2 (Death)
- Chapter 162: Lovers, Part 3 (Corpse only)
- Chapter 165: Lovers, Part 6 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 257: DIO's World, Part 11 (Flashback)
- Chapter 258: DIO's World, Part 12 (Flashback)
- Chapter 276: The Nijimura Brothers, Part 3 (Photo only)
- Chapter 282: The Nijimura Brothers, Part 9 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 369: Atom Heart Father, Part 5 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 371: Rock-Paper-Scissors Kid Is Coming!, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 569: A Little Story From the Past (Flashback)
- JJL Chapter 99: The Wonder of You, Part 16 (Flashback)
- CDDH Chapter 6: Crazy Diamond's Demonic Heartbreak #6 (Flashback)
- CDDH Chapter 14: Crazy Diamond's Demonic Heartbreak #14 (Flashback)
- CDDH Chapter 15: Crazy Diamond's Demonic Heartbreak #15 (Flashback)
- SC Episode 2: Who Will Be the Judge?!
- SC Episode 3: DIO's Curse
- SC Episode 4: Tower of Gray
- SC Episode 7: Strength
- SC Episode 11: Emperor and Hanged Man, Part 2 (Flashback)
- SC Episode 12: Empress
- SC Episode 13: Wheel of Fortune
- SC Episode 14: Justice, Part 1
- SC Episode 15: Justice, Part 2
- SC Episode 16: Lovers, Part 1 (Death)
- SC Episode 24: High Priestess, Part 2 (Flashback)
- SC Episode 26: "The Fool" Iggy and "Geb" N'Doul, Part 2 (Flashback)
- SC Episode 47: DIO's World, Part 3 (Flashback)
- DU Episode 3: The Nijimura Brothers, Part 1 (Photo only)
- DU Episode 5: The Nijimura Brothers, Part 3 (Mentioned only)
- DU Episode 25: Atom Heart Father (Flashback)
- DU Episode 26: Rock-Paper-Scissors Kid Is Coming! (Mentioned only)
- GW Episode 1: Gold Experience (Flashback)
- GW Episode 33: His Name Is Diavolo (Flashback)
- Episode 1 (OVA): The Evil Spirit (Disguised)
- Episode 2 (OVA): Hierophant Green (Disguised)
- Episode 3 (OVA): Silver Chariot and Strength (Disguised)
- Episode 5 (OVA): The Judgement (Disguised)
- Episode 6 (OVA): The Mist of Vengeance (1st full appearance)
- Episode 7 (OVA): Justice (Death)
- “[To survive is] to get what you want. That's the goal everyone is striving for. People want money, fame, lovers... heeheehee...”
- “This time, I, Enya Geil, am going to take care of you all by myself! With my own Stand... the "Justice" card!!”
- “Looks like Justice wants to dance with you!”
- “"Justice" always wins!”
- “Just one little wound is all I need... then Justice will do the rest!”
- “Can you punch fog with your fists?! Can you cut fog with your sword?! Can you shoot fog with your gun?! It's all useless! Useless!! Kyakyakekekeke!!”
- “Lord DIO! One day, you will rule over time! Each day your power will grow! You must believe you can move while time is standing still! It must be second nature, the way a person inhales and exhales! It must be easy to do, like snapping a pencil! What's important is to believe you can do it! You must have the willpower to do the impossible! Only then... will you truly control your Stand! You are the chosen ruler of the world! It only makes sense that you will rule over time as well! Geekekekkekeke!”
Creation and Development
Enya was created as an answer to the question as to who taught DIO about the existence of Stands. Hirohiko Araki had a vague idea to make a witch-like fortuneteller, and also wanted to have a scary old woman as an enemy. He compares the series to horror films, considering them to be his teachers and textbooks, and says that "you can't have a horror film without a scary old lady". He tried including all the usual tropes of scary old ladies in horror films; Enya hiding in waiting for the main characters to show up, having a hidden knife, and the likes.
Araki says that he had a fantastic time drawing Enya, as she is chock-full of all his favorite aspects of horror. However, he's still not sure if she is an appropriate villain for a shonen manga. He says that it's pretty "adventurous" to have an old woman as an antagonist, and the ratings didn't necessarily go up during the time either. He also says that there's no mistaking that the ability to convey her strength and horror as a character despite the fact that she's an old woman is something unique to the series due to Stand battles.
As Enya is the "cover girl" for JoJonium Volume 11, Araki put a lot of detail into the drawing, and also made her eyes look more friendly than usual.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (SFC)
Enya appears as one of the villains in the game; however, her role and battle terms were changed, as she is the one responsible for putting the Stand Lovers inside Joseph's head (since Steely Dan was removed from the game).
Cult Jump (GB)
Enya appears as one of the ten characters from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure who appears in the game.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (PS1)
Enya the Hag or N-Yah Gail in the English localization, appears as a battle in Super Story Mode. Her fight consists of fending off a number of zombies until Enya fights you directly with Justice. Enya's special battle can be unlocked in Book Mode, but the player can only play as one of the eight heroes (including Young Joseph and New Kakyoin).
Eyes of Heaven (PS3/PS4)
Enya appears as an NPC in story mode working for Heaven Ascension DIO. She summons her corpses to attack the heroes in a zombie fighting minigame, in an attempt to steal their Corpse Parts.
Diamond Records (Android/iOS)
JoJo's Pitter-Patter Pop! (Android/iOS)
All-Star Battle R (Various)
A major antagonist from Part 3: Stardust Crusaders. She is the mother of J. Geil, and her Stand is Justice. She taught DIO how to use his Stand, but goes insane upon losing her son. She goes after the Joestar Group, but DIO kills her. Still, she remains loyal to her master to the end.
Enya the Hag, localized as "Enyaba" in international releases of the game, is featured in All-Star Battle R with a list of Tag Lines (プレイヤーカード名言 Pureiyā Kādo Meigen). They are unlocked by completing 110 Secret Missions in All-Star Battle Mode.
- “Justice will prevail!”
- “It's just like a pencil lead snapping in two! Of course it's going to happen!”
- “I want to see how you live. That's all it is.”
- “Oh my sorrow! I'm going to kill you for this! Gyahahahahaha!”
Enya's introduction in the 2000 OVA's, as a curvaceous young woman which is caused by her illusive stand ability (Ep. 1)
With her grown tired of Hol Horse after him failing to accompany J. Geil, she stabs him to create a entry wound for Justice (Ep. 6)
- Although she appears in the PlayStation version of the game, unfinished sprites for Enya and her zombies exist in JoJo's Venture.
- Unused text for Enya can also be found in Heritage for the Future, along with Justice's tarot card.
- ↑ Justice - Vol.3 "Shueisha Jump Remix Stardust Crusaders Edition" P70-71 The Secret of JOJO Characters
- Chapter 146: Empress, Part 1, pg. 16. J. Geil is killed on December 13
- JoJo 6251 timeline. Midler is defeated on December 28. Enya dies sometime in between those two fights.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Chapter 130: Strength, Part 1, p.7
- ↑ Chapter 156: Justice, Part 3, p.17-19
- ↑ Chapter 158: Justice, Part 5, p.16
- ↑ Chapter 130: Strength, Part 1, p.2
- ↑ Chapter 147: Empress, Part 2, p.5
- ↑ Chapter 130: Strength, Part 1, p.4
- ↑ Chapter 161: Lovers, Part 2, p.6
- ↑ Chapter 147: Empress, Part 2, p.3
- ↑ Chapter 156: Justice, Part 3, p.13
- ↑ JOJO A-GO!GO!: STANDS, p.104
- ↑ JoJonium Volume 11 (Enya the Hag) - Special Interview
- ↑ Lovers (story arc)
- ↑ The Cutting Room Floor
- ↑ The Cutting Room Floor