Akira Otoishi (音石 明 Otoishi Akira) is a primary antagonist featured in the fourth part of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, Diamond is Unbreakable, specifically in the "Red Hot Chili Pepper" story arc.
After becoming a Stand user due to Keicho Nijimura, Otoishi steals the Arrow from him and attempts to eliminate the Joestar Group so that he could commit his crimes in Morioh undisturbed. His Stand is the electricity-based Red Hot Chili Pepper.
Otoishi is a 19-year-old man with long, wavy, purple hair. A lightning-bolt-shaped scar (or tattoo considering its color) crosses the left of his face vertically, from his forehead over his left eye to his jaw.
He wears a dark jacket; the right sleeve having the words "AC" and left sleeve "DC" on them, along with a vest, tight pants, and boots. He also frequently wears an electric guitar with the designs varying between the Fender Telecaster and the Fender Stratocaster.
Otoishi is highly self-centered, using his newfound power to steal from various people and wreak havoc among the town, and even killing whoever gets in his way without hesitation. He is dedicated to his craft as a musician; wishing also for recognition or fame as a Rock star. After he is released from prison, he continues to pursue this goal. Otoishi expresses himself through his guitar, such as channeling his anger at Josuke for breaking his pinky.
Josuke describes him as an intelligent coward that goes into hiding until he knows that he can beat or kill someone. While he is cautious, there are times when he slips up or becomes overconfident. For example, when he called Jotaro to try and get him to leave, he inadvertently mentioned he was a student. When confronting Josuke for the first time, Otoishi underestimated Josuke's power, later making the exact same mistake when he confronts Josuke a second time at the pier in person. Despite this, he has the capacity to learn from his mistakes, as proclaimed by himself.
Due to the nature of his Stand, he is confident but also intelligent enough to utilize its abilities to the maximum and is somewhat proficient at manipulation, evident through his battle with Okuyasu. However, while intelligent, he often fails to notice smaller details that could lead to his downfall as shown in his fight with Josuke. After being sent to prison, he seems to have reformed and is no longer causing trouble as shown in Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan.
- Main article: Red Hot Chili Pepper
Red Hot Chili Pepper is a small humanoid Stand which can travel through electrical currents and absorb electricity to empower itself. When powered up, it is a physically powerful Stand able to trade blows with the likes of Crazy Diamond but exhausts its energy quickly.
Guitar: Otoishi is a competent guitar player, and is notably able to compose a solo on the spot and use right-hand tapping. His ability to perform a solo is such that he can forcibly reset a broken pinky in the middle of playing.
Otoishi was one of the many people Keicho Nijimura shot with the Bow and Arrow while trying to find a Stand user capable of killing his mutated father, being fortunate enough to develop a Stand, naming it Red Hot Chili Pepper. Keicho then left him alone, but Akira developed his Stand to its full potential. At the same time, he used Red Hot Chili Pepper's ability to infiltrate any place connected to Morioh's power grid and steal objects as he pleased.
Diamond is Unbreakable
To further his rather self-centered goal, Otoishi uses his Stand to murder Keicho and forcefully wrest the Bow and Arrow from him.
From there on, he watched and tormented several people, among them Josuke Higashikata, while trying to improve in the use of his guitar skills.
Otoishi phones Jotaro at his hotel, warning him to leave Morioh, adding that he killed Keicho, has the Bow and Arrow, and that he won't bother them if they don't bother him. Lashing out at Jotaro for deducing that he's a student, Otoishi has his Stand destroy the phone.
The theft of the Bow and Arrow causes Jotaro Kujo to mark him as a threat and search for a way to find the location of his person, as his Stand allows him to interact with others from a distance via electricity. At one point, Akira shoots two rats in the fields.
In order to help discover Otoishi's whereabouts, Jotaro calls on Joseph Joestar in order to again make use of his Stand, Hermit Purple. However, Akira has hidden Red Hot Chili Pepper in Okuyasu Nijimura's motorcycle, allowing him to eavesdrop on Jotaro's revelation even if they meet in the middle of an empty field. Red Hot Chili Pepper appears and drives away, but Okuyasu teleports himself on the motorcycle. Red Hot Chili Pepper can easily evade The Hand's swipes, but Okuyasu was aiming at the motorcycle and destroys it, isolating Red Hot Chili Pepper in the middle of a field. A fight ensues between Red Hot Chili Pepper and Okuyasu as the rest of the heroes run to him. Eventually, Red Hot Chili Pepper runs out of juice and is depowered. However, Akira manages to goad Okuyasu into swiping at his Stand, opening the ground and uncovering a power line. This allows Chili Pepper to reabsorb enough energy to defeat Okuyasu and nearly kill him if not for Josuke's intervention.
Akira then heads to the port with a toy plane so that Red Hot Chili Pepper can fly to the boat. He hides when Jotaro is present but as soon as the man leaves to join Joseph, Akira makes himself know to Josuke and Koichi who are standing guard at the port. Expressing his utter confidence by declaring he only needs his pinky to defeat Josuke, Akira is interrupted when Josuke breaks said pinky. Furious, Akira performs a guitar solo. Josuke attacks but Red Hot Chili Pepper exploits the drains under the pavement to attack Josuke from all angles. However, Josuke turns the concrete back into tar, and Red Hot Chili Pepper's presence causes bubble that allow the student to strike Red Hot Chili Pepper once. Otoishi decides to empower Chili Pepper with the entire city of Morioh's electrical supply, resulting in it receiving a massive boost in strength and speed and allowing it to overtake Crazy Diamond with little trouble. Josuke manages to trap the Stand in a rubber tire, but Chili Pepper punctures a hole. Otoishi's overconfidence is the reason for his defeat, as the tire's air pushed it into the ocean along with Chili Pepper, dismantling the Stand and bringing him to near-death.
Even seemingly losing consciousness while standing up, Otoishi used a last-ditch effort to get himself onto the boat that Joseph is on, disguising himself as a Speedwagon Foundation crew member. He manages to enter Joseph's room, guarded by Okuyasu, but his plan is complicated when another Speedwagon Foundation staffer comes to warn Okuyasu and Joseph. Okuyasu doesn't understand the situation immediately, and Akira tries to accuse the other member of being the enemy. However, Okuyasu attacks and luckily hits Akira, taking him out.
Otoishi was later put on trial with a sentence of three years behind bars with no bail or parole for the things he had stolen. It was there that Jotaro confronted him, saying that if he tried to escape, he and Josuke would hunt him down to the ends of the earth and put an end to him. Akira was intimidated and didn't cause any more trouble afterwards.
Otoishi asks for Rohan's autograph along with Tamami Kobayashi, claiming to be a big fan of his. Both are harshly rebuked by Rohan's editor Minoru Kagamari, who tells them that Rohan is busy at the moment, but Rohan, in turn, scolds his editor for treating him like a "slow mangaka who can't sign autographs" before signing autographs for the two of them with coffee using a special dripping technique.
Chapters / Episodes
- “I have a good 3 minutes to finish you two off and beat Jotaro and the others to the boat!”
- “The name's Akira Otoishi, 19 years old! Oh! Don't mind this guitar I have right here. My dream is to be like Jimi Hendrix or Jeff Beck. To be an ultra super guitarist and live life hard and fast! That's why I'm keeping this baby with me at all times. In the near future, with this baby right here, I'm gonna blow the world away!”
- “See this? The city's energy! It's all mine! My power! Oh and the electricity bill? I'll send it straight to your place, hehe...”
- “Keicho, Stands are the strength of the mind! I've grown so much! You mustn't have realized that "Red Hot Chili Pepper" held this potential!”
- “I'll show you how slow your Stand really is!”
Otoishi is first featured and debuts as a playable character in All Star Battle.
As one of the mass majority of playable characters in the game with the "Stand" Style, Otoishi can turn Red Hot Chili Pepper on/off, changing movesets, as well as having access to the Stand Rush ability returning from the Capcom game, being able to attack in conjunction with his Stand. Akira has 950 HP.
In the Morioh City stage, when the stage hazard activates and puddles around the area are shocked by electricity from the Pepsi sign, Otoishi is the only one who suffers no negative effects when caught; He takes no damage and instead, his Power Gauge is instantly set to the first level. However, this has the unintended negative effect of depleting any amount of Power in the second level of the gauge, undoing Level MAX.
If Otoishi is Retired via any attack that does not result in a hard knockdown or blow-back, he remains standing but will hunch over, mirroring his defeat and fake death by Josuke.
Otoishi was confirmed for the game along with Yoshikage Kira. Otoishi is of the Stand User Style, but more specifically is he a Mode User. The player can switch control between Otoishi and Red Hot Chili Pepper to alter the character's abilities, with Stand Mode being the more powerful. The Power Gauge, redubbed the Electric Gauge, makes a return as well.
- Style Action - Red Hot Chili Pepper: Control is switched between Otoishi (Host Mode) and Red Hot Chili Pepper (Stand Mode). While in Stand Mode, Chili Pepper has access to all of its skills. Damage dealt to the Stand is reflected in Otoishi, and any attack that delivers a knockdown will automatically and forcibly disable Stand Mode. Chili Pepper can interact with certain stage objects to transfer itself to specific points represented by anchor icons. This allows for quick escapes and inversely can be used to get closer to the opponent just as quickly. The stage objects themselves don't need to be electrical by nature, as Chili Pepper can travel between objects such as suits of armor and even flame lanterns. Unlike other Stand Mode Users, Otoishi's stamina gauge does not deplete while in Stand Mode; this is due to the fact that use of Chili Pepper is already tied to the Electric Gauge. However, this also means that Otoishi can theoretically remain in Stand Mode indefinitely so long as Chili Pepper has an external source of power always available.
- Rule - Electric Gauge: On the right side of Otoishi's health gauge shows a two-meter gauge as well as a Level indicator (LV), its power constantly draining while in Stand Mode and being consumed in amounts whenever he uses skills. The Electric Gauge has five levels, ranging from Level 0 to Level MAX; each third of the first gauge raises Chili Pepper to the next level, enhancing the Stand's overall performance. Depending on the amount in the Electric Gauge, Chili Pepper's movement speed, attack speed, and attack strength will be enhanced, among other effects. If it is completely empty (Level 0), Otoishi is unable to use any skills or moves involving Chili Pepper, leaving him with choice few skills and his aerial Powerful Attack (a diving knee); If the Electric Gauge is filled past its first meter, Otoishi enters "Level MAX", further increasing the damage and speed of his skills, with Chili Pepper visually becoming brighter as more sparks and electric crackles come off of it.
- Charge: Only available in Host Mode. Otoishi pulls out a small amp, allowing Chili Pepper to siphon off it and replenish the Electric Gauge.
- I feel great, thanks to you.: When either Otoishi or Chili Pepper stand near an electricity-based stage object (e.g. lampposts and other light fixtures, Yukako Yamagishi's electric chair at Boing-Boing Cape, etc), the Stand can instantly fill the Electric Gauge by a whole meter by interacting with it. In the case of the electric chair, simply coming into contact with it while it's live will do so.
- Right Hand Rockout: Only available in Host Mode. Otoishi plays a guitar solo as multi-colored spotlights appear above him out of nowhere. This consumes Otoishi's stamina to slowly fill the Dual Heat Gauge up to roughly 2/5ths of a stock if it completes without him stopping or an opponent interrupting, with full stamina allowing a complete solo. It is also a skill that Otoishi can still perform at Level 0, since it does not involve Chili Pepper.
- Spitfire: Only available in Stand Mode. While airborne, Chili Pepper can take out and rides a small RC airplane, quickly carrying it through the air with a slow descent at the cost of draining the Electric Gauge faster. The higher the Electric Gauge level, the faster the Stand will fly and the sharper it can turn. The skill can be canceled with a Normal Attack.
- You're the one who moved!: Chili Pepper delivers a fast punch that forcibly faces opponents away from it, forcibly disabling their lock-on and easily allowing for a Backstab to follow. The higher the Electric Gauge level, the faster the skill executes and the faster Chili Pepper can take action afterward, the skill will also receive damage boosts and Guard Break power accordingly; At Level 2 or higher, Otoishi himself is invincible on activation, and the duration of said invincibility is determined by the Electric Gauge level. At Level 3 or higher, Chili Pepper can seamlessly combo from the skill.
- This Stand Power... It's as explosive as a jet engine...: Chili Pepper rushes forward in a flurry of 13 flashy punches, with the final hit sending opponents flying. The higher the Electric Gauge level, the faster the skill executes, the more hits and therefore damage is dealt, and the faster Chili Pepper can take action afterward; At Level MAX, Chili Pepper adds 15 extra punches, is capable of teleporting a moderate distance forward before performing the attack which increases the skill's effective range, and Otoishi himself is invincible on activation.
- Time to get electric, baby!: Only available in Stand Mode. Chili Pepper covers itself in electricity and charges forward. If it connects, it turns the opponent into electricity and drags them into the ground, coming out of any specific locations around the stage to send them high into the air, randomly-selected. The higher the Electric Gauge level, the faster the skill executes and the faster Chili Pepper can take action afterward, the skill will also receive damage boosts and Guard Break power accordingly; At Level 3 or higher, Chili Pepper's charging attack gains some homing capabilities, and Otoishi himself is invincible on activation.
- EX - This Stand Power... It's as explosive as a jet engine...: The skill does not consume Electric Gauge power, performs the Level MAX version by default, and can even be used at Level 0. The final hit knocks opponents to the ground hard enough for them to bounce.
- EX - Time to get electric, baby!: The skill does not consume Electric Gauge power and performs the Level MAX version by default.
- Dual Heat Attack - You wanna get nuts?! Let's get nuts!: Identical to its performance in All Star Battle, though executes faster for the sake of brevity.
- You wanna get nuts?! Let's get nuts!: Otoishi must fill the Electric Gauge to Level MAX. (200 Points)
- I'll kill your mom, too!: Otoishi must use Right Hand Rockout 5 times. (200 Points)
- I won! Wa ha ha ha ha!!: Otoishi must connect "Time to get electric, baby!" 3 times. (300 Points)
- I'm gonna put all the electricity I've used on your meter. Hee hee!: Otoishi must connect 5 skills while at Level MAX. (500 Points)
- I demand thunderous applause from the foolish masses!: Otoishi must Retire an opponent with a Dual Heat Attack. (800 Points)
In Story Mode, Otoishi instead is an ally character, similar to his current status in canon spin-off of Rohan Kishibe series, first seen brainwashed by black aura created from Heaven Ascension DIO.
He is partnered with a revived Shigekiyo Yangu, until they are defeated and saved from DIO's control by Jotaro with a Saint Corpse Part during the second encounter. Once recovered from the brainwashed state, Okuyasu asks a surprised Otoishi how it feels to be one of the good guys now, while Otoishi is still frightened of Okuyasu's presence, thinking he wanted to get revenge for murdering his brother Keicho. However, he was relieved to have conversation changed to seeing Shigechi well again, but Otoishi is interrupted by the presence of the brainwashed Weather Report (who also died and was revived like Shigechi and most of the other deceased allies), whom was later defeated by Jolyne and Anasui, and saved using the corpse part.
As DIO (in his Heaven Ascension form) sends the Joestars (except for Jolyne and Jotaro who fight DIO in Cairo) into his traps, creating illusionary doubles of their brainwashed allies several times until succumbing to the control of the dark aura and giving the corpse to DIO. The Joestars and their allies' souls are absorbed into DIO to increase his power tenfold. Among the souls absorbed is Otoishi.
Otoishi's current status in a new timeline remains unknown, as he may be a reformed criminal, or may have reverted to his past ways. It is also unknown if it altered his murder of Keicho Nijimura or his giving of a Stand to Bug-Eaten and the unnamed rat.
JoJo's Pitter-Patter Pop! (Android/iOS)
- Otoishi was modeled after young Kenji Ohtsuki, a Japanese rock musician and award-winning writer, considering their similar wavy hair and scar on the left side of the face. Araki probably chose him as a base after he interviewed Ohtsuki about his love of Horror movies, which the two bonded over.
- His surname "Otoishi (音石)" means "sound of rock" which could reference his love of Rock music.
- The "AC" and "DC" emblems on the cuffs of his coat are a reference not only to the band of the same name, but also the band's namesake, "alternating current / direct current," which refers to types of electric currents.
- In Eyes of Heaven, Otoishi's walk animations resemble the way the bass guitarist of the Red Hot Chili Peppers runs in their Music Video For Give It Away.