Ghiaccio is a man of below-average height and slim to medium build.
His light hair clings to his head in a low number of large spirals, and he wears a pair of thick-rimmed glasses that are distinct to look at while in his full-body Stand suit. Ghiaccio also keeps a blouse buttoned at the side of the chest and a band patterned trousers. In the manga, he wears brown leather fingerless gloves, while the anime attaches them to his suit and makes them white.
Ghiaccio wears his Stand, a light-colored, full-body suit, for the majority of his feature.
Ghiaccio is a confident and short-tempered assassin who, despite his quirks, is rather level-headed.
Wielding the dangerously powerful ice-based Stand, White Album, Ghiaccio is understandably confident in his abilities and disdains most of the enemy's actions, which he deems as futile. Unlike the rest of his teammates, Ghiaccio openly confronts Giorno and Mista alone (having assumed the rest of the team was nearby too) and even openly monologues his plans out loud. Conversely, when the two of them attempt anything against him, Ghiaccio doesn't hesitate to taunt them or ridicule their futile attempts, such as when he tells Mista to jump into the water to see whether he can really outpace White Album's freezing ability, also demonstrating his power by freezing a sizeable stretch of water in an instant. His pride is expanded upon in the anime by showing him claiming that La Squadra Esecuzioni is "the best" out of all the teams in Passione. However, Ghiaccio demonstrates that he isn't simply arrogant and commends Mista for giving him a hard fight despite his weaker Stand.
Although he is extremely prideful, Ghiaccio is conscious about his weaknesses and has devised plans to alleviate his need to have an air hole on White Album. If the need presents itself, Ghiaccio is able to freeze the air to counter against projectiles and cover the air hole. Moreover, on the rare occasion where he is at a disadvantage, Ghiaccio also shows he can think quickly to reverse the situation. For instance, when he is nearly impaled on a spike, Ghiaccio uses his own flowing blood to create pillars and support himself.
He has a fixation with language, expressing annoyance at the confusing wording of various metaphors as well as how foreign languages do not respect Italian words, such as spelling "Venice" in English instead of "Venezia". During these fits of anger, Ghiaccio becomes so unnerved he begins to sweat out of wrath and vents his frustration through breaking nearby objects or dramatic arm-waving. His choleric side is expanded upon in the anime as he is seen complaining the loudest about his team's comparatively meager revenues.
- Main article: White Album
Ghiaccio's Stand is White Album. It acts as an almost impenetrable full-body suit with ice skate-like blades on its feet. It also has the power to almost instantly freeze objects and the air around him.
Ghiaccio is able to activate the second phase of his Stand, known as White Album Gently Weeps. During Gently Weeps' duration, Ghiaccio produces temperatures around roughly -210 degrees Celsius, impressively close to the point of absolute zero.
Ghiaccio was a member of La Squadra Esecuzioni, a team of nine assassins working within Passione. However, the team was frustrated they only received compensation for each kill while the rest of the gang was getting rich from the drug trade. One day their teammates Sorbet and Gelato disappeared while they were trying to investigate the Boss' past. They found Gelato choked on a gag in his house, with a piece of paper on which was written the word "punishment". Later, the team received the sectioned body parts of Sorbet encased in formaldehyde, showing the team the power of the Boss. They despaired of ever finding about the Boss. However, they then heard about Trish Una, and thought that she would be the key to discovering the Boss' Stand ability. The team rebelled and began searching for her. Just after Trish was taken in by Pericolo, La Squadra Esecuzioni ransacked Donatella and Trish's apartment in search for clues, missing a crucial picture of Donatella that was taken by the Boss himself.
The anime adaptation expands a bit on Ghiacchio's past. Two years prior to the events of Vento Aureo, Ghiacchio was already part of La Squadra Esecuzioni. He tells Melone that he considers them to be the best group in Passione, and thinks the group should be paid more.
Contacted by Melone, who reveals that Team Bucciarati is on a parking lot south of Rome, Ghiaccio drives over to their supposed location and discovers he is too late to confront the group. Swearing to find the group no matter what, he briefly gets angrily at the nonsensical expression used to say this. At the same time, he hears Melone being killed on the phone. Regardless, Risotto Nero later runs some computer analysis on Pericolo's items and discovers that Bucciarati's group is headed toward Venice.
Ghiacchio finds Giorno and Mista manages to sneakily jump on their car's roof, hiding for a while. Using White Album, he surrounds himself in a thick, bulletproof layer of ice and begins to lower the temperature of the car. By the time Giorno and Mista notice, Mista's face is stuck to the window because of the cold. Ghiacchio makes himself known and Mista shoots, but Ghiaccio is protected by his ice. He even manages to trap some of Sex Pistols. Ghiaccio then goes on a rant, demanding that foreigners call Venice by its proper Italian name, "Venezia". Ghiaccio remains confident but then Giorno and Mista combine their abilities. Mista shoots bullets touched by Gold Experience and the bullets turn into roots, breaking through the ice and making Ghiaccio fall onto the road.
However, Ghiaccio then summons White Album as a suit around him and begins to skate to catch up to the car. Ghiaccio's armor is also bulletproof but then Sex Pistols slip bullets into his skate blade, making him trip. Ghiaccio freezes the trail of humidity left by the car and pulls himself towards it. When Mista prepares to unload his gun again, Ghiaccio opens the trunk, crawls through it and grabs Mista to freeze his firing hand and break it. Interrupted by a pummeling from Gold Experience, Ghiaccio's armour is merely cracked. Desperate, Giorno drives into the sea, telling Mista to escape to their objective. However, Ghiaccio creates a long stretch of ice in an instant, taunting Mista and daring him to swim. As Ghiaccio freezes the car again, Mista has Giorno create tundra grass and makes a board out of it, sliding on the ice to reach his objective. Ghiaccio is forced to cancel his ice for the moment and swims towards Mista.
Ghiaccio punches the water and traps Mista in ice, but Giorno and Mista work together again. They manage to drive a great screw into Ghiaccio's helmet and Mista shoots further into it, making the hitman sink for a moment. When Ghiaccio resurfaces, Mista mysteriously shoots some fishes, making Ghiaccio turn his head; Mista then shoots a bullet into the airhole on the back of his neck. However, Ghiaccio reveals his technique: White Album Gently Weeps. He freezes part of the air solid and makes the bullet bounces back at Mista.
Ghiaccio reaches the ground and searches the area. He eventually finds an OA disc inside of the lion statue near Santa Luca station. Ghiaccio approaches Mista to fight him but then Giorno sprays some of his blood in their direction, making the weaknesses in Gently Weep's barrier appear. Mista uses rebounds and hits inside of Ghiaccio's neck again, but Ghiaccio reveals another layer of protection. He has sealed his airhole and stored frozen air inside of his suit, allowing him to breathe. The bullets bounces back at Mista, but the gunman covers his helmet with blood. Mista unloads his gun in Ghiaccio's face. Ghiaccio trips on a spike created when Mista's bullet hit a metal lamppost, and Ghiaccio understands the danger. Mista repeatedly shoots Ghiaccio in the face, pushing him further into the spike but then Ghiaccio freezes his blood solid, reinforcing the support. Sure of his victory, Ghiaccio makes a last bullet rebound into Mista's forehead.
However, the bullet wound heals. Giorno appears and finishes off Ghiaccio by having Gold Experience repeatedly kick him into the spike. Ghiaccio's throat is impaled and the hitman dies.
Chapters / Episodes
- “I've gotta find them, come hell or high water... That phrase, "hell or high water"... I get the "high water" part. I totally get it, 'cause maybe a flood could happen or something... but what the fuck does the "come hell" part mean?! Who thinks hell can just move around!? What a stupid fucking phrase! It seriously pisses me off! You think Hell's gonna grow arms and legs and crawl out of the ground, huh?! Fuck no, you dumb shit! Hell stays right underground where it belongs!!”
- “In English, they say it like "Pairiss"... but the rest of the world says "Paree" like the French do. So how come everyone calls Venezia by its English name, "Venice"?! The Merchant of Venice and Death in Venice...”
- “Why isn't the title "Death in Venezia"!? (なんで『ヴェネツィアに死す』ってタイトルじゃあねえーんだよォォォォォォォーーッNande "Venetsia ni shisu" tte taitoru jā nendayoooooo)”
- “Are you happy with that!? I'm not happy at all! Is this your idea of a fucking joke!? It's Italian, you goddman bastards! Speak fucking Italian!”
- “Goddammiiiiiit! How irritating! Get it right! Idiots! (チクショオーーー、ムカつくんだよ！コケにしやがって！ボケがッ！Chikushōoooo, mukatsuku nda! Koke ni shi gate! Boke ga!)”
- “You won't escape... whatever is at the station is coming home with me, Ghiaccio.”
- “You're wasting your ammo. My ability White Album uses cryogenic temperature to freeze the moisture in the air into a suit of armor. I can use it to skate around, and it's strong enough to stop bullets!”
- “Once you hit cryogenic temperatures, you enter a world of stillness. There is nothing that can move in the cryogenic world. I can freeze anything in the universe! That's what makes White Album so perfect! Even roaring train engines, even the raging seas will come to a grinding halt at my command! None can defy my whims!”
- “White Album Gently Weeps! I've already set up a wall of frozen air!”
- “Is that all the resolve you got!? This is it, Mista!!”
Ghiaccio appears as an explanatory character in the JoJo Dictionary menu. He guides the player through the Trivia, Story, and Character Profiles tabs, notably becoming irrationally upset when the player attempts to leave.
In the light novel JORGE JOESTAR, an iteration of Ghiaccio lives in the 37th universe, appearing similarly to his original universe counterpart. He is not actually mentioned in the novel by name but he is drawn in an illustration.
Nero Nero Island, where the base of Passione is located, suddenly grows legs and starts moving through the ocean headed toward Morioh. Some ordinary citizens panic and attempt to escape at the island's harbor. Ghiaccio, Cioccolata, Secco, Prosciutto, Pesci, and Melone ambush and murder them. Secco's Evil Dead conceals the harbor, making their actions invisible to those within the island, such as Bruno Bucciarati. One man manages to escape and tries waving desperately toward Morioh for help before he is killed as well.
The Mafia members move the bodies out of sight by dropping the bodies in the water between the boats, or by tossing them into the tall grass by the side of the road to the harbor. Nero Nero Island suddenly crashes into the barrier surrounding Morioh and flips upward. Its propulsion causes it to tear through the barrier and lands into Morioh Harbor. Cioccolata and the others start firing bullets and rocket launchers at random civilians and houses in Morioh, attempting to shoot Jorge Joestar as well when he runs by underneath them. The mafia members then jump off the island and head to Budogaoka gymnasium with several weapons.
- One of Ghiaccio's rants includes his annoyance at the Japanese phrase, nehorihahori (根掘り葉掘り), meaning "thoroughly". The phrase is defined by its first half, nehori (根掘り), which translates literally to "root digging", the implication being that something is not done "thoroughly" until the roots are pulled out. The nonsensical second half of the phrase, hahori (葉掘り), meaning "leaf digging," is added to create a euphonious Japanese wordplay (i.e. "digging up the roots and leaves") and is generally not taken literally like Ghiaccio is doing.
- In Crunchyroll's official subtitles for the anime, Ghiacchio's rant is instead directed towards the phrase "taking a leaf out of someone's book", in which "leaf" refers to a sheet of paper, rather than an actual plant leaf. Similarly to the Japanese version of his rant, Ghiacchio's anger still stems from him taking a piece of figurative language literally, while preserving the reference to leaves. Finally, in the English dub of Golden Wind, Ghiaccio instead rants about the expression "think outside of the box".
- His voice actor in All Star Battle, Tatsuhisa Suzuki, later voiced Prosciutto, another member of La Squadra Esecuzioni in the TV anime.