- For a similarly named character, see Anakiss
Narciso Anasui (ナルシソ・アナスイ Narushiso Anasui) is a primary ally featured in the sixth part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Stone Ocean.
A convicted murderer who serves his prison sentence in Green Dolphin Street Prison, Anasui falls in love with Jolyne Cujoh and decides to help her with defeating Enrico Pucci. He is a Stand user who wields the restructuring Diver Down in battle.
Anasui is a man of above-average height and medium to athletic build, bearing an androgynous appearance in most of his depictions. He is always seen with a slim, flat hat on his head, and he wears a form-fitting mesh over his upper body and lower legs, exposing most of his chest. The mesh is comprised of diagonal stripes that resemble a fishnet pattern with extremely large gaps between the clothing lines. One of the most prominent features of his shirt (or lack thereof) in the presence of footprint designs leading from his waist skirt and up onto his chest. This perhaps reflects one of the uses of his Stand, as Diver Down displays the ability to extend its arms and feet from within another person's body.
In his first appearance, Anasui was first depicted with far more androngynous, feminine features, along with short hair and bangles around the neck. In the anime, this was not the case, and he appeared consistently throughout the part.
Anasui's most significant character trait is his obsessive love for Jolyne. Having fell in love with her at first sight, he explains that it's her focus and determination that inspires and gives him hope for his future. More specifically, he believes that he could be "purified" through his feelings for her.
As a self-declared beacon of Jolyne's affection, Anasui's main goal is to act as her protector, hoping to make himself indispensable enough so that Jolyne loves and relies on him even more than Jotaro Kujo or Weather Report. He publicly declares that he's going to protect Jolyne with all his strength and is willing to sacrifice himself for her sake, such as when he tells Foo Fighters to take his dying body to save Jotaro's DISC. To this end, Anasui will take any opportunity to absorb damage inflicted on Jolyne through his Stand ability, demonstrated when he absorbs C-MOON's gravity reversal into his arm to buy time for Jolyne to attack. He extends the courtesy to Jotaro, being willing to put his life on the line and absorb an attack to give Jotaro an opportunity to defeat Pucci. His desire to become Jolyne's protector can become excessive and he once ordered F.F. to make Jolyne trip just so he could catch her.
On the surface, Anasui appears confident and bold when he tries to seduce Jolyne. He confesses his love for her immediately upon meeting her for the first time and even tries to stealthily slip an expensive ring on her finger as an indirect declaration of love. He is also shown invading Jolyne's personal space by nibbling on a flower growing on her face, and seems to act as if she is already in love with him as he mistakes her warnings from Yo-Yo Ma as a strange attempt to kiss. However, Anasui still feels the need to seek Jotaro's permission to marry Jolyne and remains silent when Jotaro tacitly refuses by pulling her to his side. Despite his boldness, Anasui is actually aware that Jolyne won't easily fall in love with him and is even perhaps insecure about her returning his feelings but it doesn't stop him from trying.
Anasui is introduced as an unapologetic murderer who agrees with the newspapers that describe him as such. Upon discovering his girlfriend with another man, he disassembles them to pieces so that they wouldn't be together again. Moreover, Emporio tells F.F. that 'if Weather Report wasn't there to keep him calm, there is no knowing what Anasui would do'. While Anasui is not shown to be as violent as he is stated to be, he can be extremely brutal and has no qualms heavily modifying his opponents in horrible ways. He notably modified Kenzou's legs to act as springs and Guccio's torso to become a stringtrap with his ribs. He also easily tries to kill anything that he considers an enemy, demonstrated when he smashes Yo-Yo Ma's head with Diver Down, expresses intent to kill The Green Baby as he sensed evil in it despite Jolyne's protestations and even destroyed Pinocchio although he wasn't an enemy and was merely suspicious. Emporio says that as a child, Anasui already had a compulsion to take anything apart, although he stuck to inanimate objects.
Outside Jolyne, Anasui rarely outwardly shows any affection for his allies. He acts apathetic to their fate, stating that he is only there to protect Jolyne and even in general, he is described by Emporio as 'the type of person that doesn't help other people'. For instance, he was ready to stand aside and let F.F. die and told Emporio as such against C-MOON, only sparing the time to hurry him onto a handrail. Anasui also says that he has no love for his family and wouldn't protect them because he didn't love them like he does with Jolyne. He's mildly jealous of Weather Report because Jolyne seems close to him, and also insulted F.F. by saying she was 'just plankton'. He considered his promise with F.F. to be binding and pressured her on several occasions into helping Jolyne fall for him regardless of the situation although it never really worked. He even tells Weather Report that he only accompanied him outside in the hopes that Weather would lead him to Jolyne. Nonetheless, Anasui is loyal to the promises he makes as he mentions to Weather that he'll help fight against Pucci since he has to repay F.F. for saving him. Anasui also cares about his allies on some level, mostly because it would distress Jolyne otherwise. He is somewhat close to Weather Report; for instance, he shows concern when Weather gets his memories back and assaults a doctor; after Weather's death, Anasui takes the time to make a eulogy to him and shows that he had empathized with Weather, stating how the latter had felt out of prison.
Despite never showing any signs of mental illness in his psychiatric tests, Anasui alludes several times to some deep-seated psychological issues. For starters, he seeks a form of purification through his love for Jolyne, saying that he "used to be dead" before meeting Jolyne and that "his heart could collapse at any moment". These confessions allude to some form of depression, hinting that he clings to Jolyne as the only positive thing in his life that could keep him alive.
Anasui is observant, analytical, and strategic. During the fight against Kenzou, he closely examines Kenzou's fighting style and advises Jolyne to do the same to assert the old man's strengths. He also manages to work out the power of Green, Green Grass of Home through simple experimentation. In the fight against the Green Baby, he deliberately rolls a bottle near the baby not just to gauge its behavior, but to also set up a potential trap for its Stand. In the final battle against Pucci, he reacts quickly by jumping onto the space shuttle in an attempt to stop Pucci's Stand from transforming. He also advises Emporio on where to shoot and creates a self-sacrificial plan by having Diver Down protect all of his allies so that he can give a signal to Jotaro of when to attack Pucci.
- Main article: Diver Down
Diver Down is a close-range stand with the main ability to imprint an attack on any surface and release it. It also is able to phase through solid materials and change the materials that make them up.
Born with a condition that makes him want to disassemble anything he sees, Anasui had a troubled childhood growing up. He painstakingly dissected pocket watches, toys, and whatever else he could get his hands on. At the age of ten, he was institutionalized for six months for disassembling his neighbor's Porsche. One time, he even disassembled a high-voltage telephone pole.
When Anasui was 21, he went over to his girlfriend's apartment early from work and found her in bed with another man. In response, he methodically disassembled both of their bodies on the spot, so that they could never be together again. Despite this, the psychiatric analysis conducted after his arrest showed that he was perfectly sane. And so, he was sent to Green Dolphin Street Prison, where he would face a twelve-year sentence for first-degree murder.
At some point, he would also eventually meet Weather Report and Emporio Alnino and discover his natural Stand ability, Diver Down.
Stone Ocean (2011-2012)
Anasui first appears in the ghost music room looking at Emporio Alnino and Ermes Costello's conversation about investigating Whitesnake alongside Weather Report, but doesn't intervene.
At one point, he meets Jolyne and falls in love with her.
In the anime, Anasui first appears inside the music room next to Weather. He is introduced to Jolyne by Emporio and walks out the room.
His Name Is Anasui
Although he was briefly seen next to Weather Report by Ermes Costello, Anasui doesn't get involved with Jolyne until F.F. comes to Emporio for help. Seemingly entranced by Jolyne's courage as she went to the punishment ward for her father, Anasui agrees to become Jolyne's bodyguard out of his burning love for her and exits Emporio's ghost room. Using Diver Down, he opens a door by storing energy into it and releasing the energy as a kick upon two incoming guards.
Ultra Security House Unit
Anasui then appears coming up the stairs of the Ultra-Security Punishment Ward just as Foo Fighters and Jolyne are about to face Kenzou. At first, he doesn't engage in the battle, instead expounding on Kenzou's history and confesses his love to Jolyne. He then explains the concept of 'feng shui', which Kenzou's stand Dragon's Dream relies on. When Jolyne presses him to go and protect Foo Fighters, he replies saying that his promise was to only protect Jolyne, Foo Fighters not being included, as well as the fact that Foo Fighters specifically told him not to help her. As Foo Fighters is flung into the electric chair through Kenzou's attacks and Jolyne drops down the stairs, Anasui springs into action in order to protect Jolyne from being the next target of Kenzou's 'feng shui assassination'. He phases Diver Down into Jolyne's body and upon Kenzou's kick coming into contact with her body, he changes the structure of Kenzou's legs to resemble that of a spring. This causes him to be put out of commission, crumpled up in a bucket. Upon finding her and connecting with her, Anasui keeps true to his word and protects Jolyne to the point of self-sacrifice at times.
After the fight with Kenzou, Anasui attempts to convince Foo Fighters to make Jolyne trip down the stairs in order for him to stop her from falling and have her fall in love with him. Foo Fighters, still preoccupied by the remaining enemies, refuses at first, but caves and trips Jolyne. She uses Stone Free to grab onto the arm of the small prisoner holding DIO's bone, leaving Anasui in favor of her goal. He then notices the strange effects of the Green Baby's birth on the prisoner, shocked at the metamorphosis. Anasui warns Jolyne to stop, noticing the plants on her face and inspecting her before concluding that the roots and plant-like things appearing in the Ultra-Security Punishment Ward are the cause of DIO's bone. Anasui then uses Diver Down to remove most of the flowers that grew out of Jolyne's body after she went to give chase to the bone. He lightly nibbles on one of the flowers to confirm that they are living things, while also warning Jolyne to stay out of the sunlight in order to prevent further growth. However, he is unable to stop her from taking the Green Baby.
Anasui hurries and leads Jolyne and Foo Fighters out of the Ultra-Security Punishment Ward, but is informed of the actual direction of the exit by Foo Fighters. It's here that they meet Guccio, who is cowering and whimpering in a corner. Anasui approaches him casually and asks his name and if he's an enemy, Guccio responding without really understanding and pleading for his life. Anasui gestures for him to come closer, and uses Diver Down to transform Guccio into a walking, mindless trap that mutilates D an G's left arm using his ribs. Anasui ultimately decides to use Diver Down to climb up a wall and out a window, escaping to the eastern side of the building.
While escaping, the three are accosted by Yo-Yo Ma, who swallows the Green Baby's egg. While they try to kill him, Yo-Yo Ma reacts to the group's attacks (including Anasui's phasing of Diver Down's fist into his stomach) with pleasure. Anasui notes the awful stench of his body, making it impossible to focus and retrieve the Green Baby out from Yo-Yo Ma. While Jolyne and Foo Fighters figure out the situation, Anasui reminds them that Jolyne is still in danger in the sunlight and states that they need to be further east, opposite of the setting sun. Following Foo Fighters being unknowingly taken out by Yo-Yo Ma, Jolyne and Anasui steal an anti-wetland use boat. Anasui is taught how to drive it by Yo-Yo Ma, and he tells Jolyne to get on.
After a short while, Anasui hides the boat in a mass of leaves and grass to hide from patrolling guards. Yo-Yo Ma then comes up with a plan to camouflage the two of them and their boat, Anasui and Jolyne being covered in roots and leaves. The guards' propellers, however, reveal them. Anasui lets the guards sink their ship, telling Yo-Yo Ma to fetch another boat. He sends Yo-Yo Ma flying into one of the boats and then neutralizes the second boat's guards with Diver Down. They steal one boat. He then leaves piloting the boat to Yo-Yo Ma.
Anasui takes notice of Jolyne's whistling, and then notices her stressed movements trying to tell him that there are holes in her tongue. He, however, interprets it as her confessing her love to him and almost kisses her before being punched by Jolyne. She attempts to get him to understand what she is saying, but he continues thinking that she wants to kiss him. However, he eventually realizes that something is wrong when Jolyne's face starts melting from Yo-Yo Ma's acidic spit. He notices her message, reading 'BE ALL EYES', and immediately attacks Yo-Yo Ma, ignoring the holes in his body and ordering Yo-Yo Ma to empty his pockets. Anasui gains more holes in his body while obtaining more information about the stand, including about its 'target sensor', by attacking it. In the process, he connects one of Yo-Yo Ma's frog's brains to its 'target sensor', making it have the wants and impulses of a frog and neutralizing it as a threat. Anasui picks up Jolyne and the two wait for Foo Fighters to kill D an G.
Birth of the Green Baby
Following Yo-Yo Ma's disappearance, Anasui and Jolyne find the empty shell of the Green Baby on the deck of the boat. As the Green Baby starts to fall into the water, Anasui goes to catch it and obtains a hand-shaped burn on his hand. The Green Baby ends up falling into the water and Anasui panics before Jolyne repairs her tongue and points out its next location. As Jolyne goes to run for the baby, Anasui stops and shows her the anomalous effects around the Green Baby, such as a rock getting bigger the farther away it rolls, or Anasui growing larger as he is father away from the baby. Anasui and Jolyne experiment somewhat with the effects before Anasui explains how the Green Baby's powers work by drawing in the sand with a stick, hypothesizing that they'd never be able to reach the Green Baby.
The two notice guard dogs barking in the distance, and after Jolyne rushes in, Anasui ruminates on her attitude and follows after her. He prevents her from fully unraveling herself, but is unable to stop her from jumping down onto the Green Baby and shrinking exponentially. He arrives near her just in time to save her from the Green Baby's stand, Green, Green Grass Of Home's grasp. The two cling onto a microscopic cliff, but soon they are attacked by falling pebbles and make a run for it. The two start to slide off of the cliff, their fingers being bloodied from the friction, but Anasui reveals that he was leading the stand into a glass bottle that he had rolled when Jolyne first jumped down onto the Green Baby, trapping the stand and by extension, the user.
Anasui plans to kill the Green Baby, and phases the entrance of the bottle over to him and Jolyne so that they are able to escape while trapping Green, Green Grass Of Home by putting the cap back on the bottle. However, the stand starts to roll the bottle towards the two of them and almost crushes Anasui before the Green Baby calls off the attack, intrigued by Jolyne's birthmark.
The guard dogs, however, are still prowling the wetlands, as Anasui comments in addition to the fog rolling in. Anasui once again confesses his love for Jolyne after she questions his motivations, mentioning how someone was able to get married in prison. Meanwhile, the Green Baby starts eating his hair. Anasui notices people coming and orders the two of them to get down. The two people coming are revealed to be Weather Report and Foo Fighters, and as Weather Report and Jolyne hug, Anasui reacts negatively and orders Foo Fighters to tear them apart, claiming that Weather Report is getting his scent on Jolyne. He goes as far as to say that Foo Fighters is nothing more than plankton. Anasui announces his plan to kill the Green Baby, which is met with backlash, especially from Foo Fighters. Anasui insults Foo Fighters again and asks Weather Report for his opinion, who then punches a hole through Anasui's chest and chops Foo Fighters' head in half.
Weather Report is revealed to be nothing more than one of Whitesnake's illusions as Anasui lays dying on the ground. During a tense fight between Jolyne and Whitesnake's user, Enrico Pucci, Pucci throws Jotaro Kujo's memory disc into Anasui's dying body as he starts to fade away. Jolyne is unable to pull it out of Anasui before he starts to have his final thoughts. He thinks about how Jolyne looks sad, and asks Foo Fighters to use his body as a vessel in order to retrieve the disc. Foo Fighters uses the last of her strength to keep Anasui alive and heal his wounds, ejecting the disc but sacrificing herself in the process.
Anasui is then taken back to the men's ward of Green Dolphin Street Prison with Weather Report.
In the men's ward of the prison, Weather Report states that Jolyne has left the prison, able to sense her due to the Joestar birthmark. Anasui forces Weather to take him to her.
Following their off panel escape, Anasui admonishes Weather Report for helping up an old man, fearing it would make them stand out. He asks Weather about his history, and Weather responds that he simply wants to kill Pucci, forgetting the reason due to having his memory disc stolen. They hide in the bathroom as they figure out a way to avoid the cops. Weather uses his stand to aid the old man enough for him to give them a ride past the cops.
Battle Against Bohemian Rhapsody
As Anasui thumbs through the magazines in the back of the old man's car, he bemoans the lack of Disney characters on the Disney amusement park guidebook. Then, he notices something scurrying past and uses Diver Down to grab it, pulling out a twisted version of Pinocchio. He threatens Pinocchio with violence, and when Pinocchio lies about working alone, his nose stabs Anasui in the cheek. He interrogates the puppet further before being interrupted by the Seven Dwarves, who emerge after Anasui picks up an apple from the floor. Anasui becomes confused, recognizing the characters, and becomes angry when he notices Weather eating the apple and reading a book. However, when Weather starts asking where Anasui is, he realizes that what he is is nothing but his 'soul': his body has fallen under the truck and is being run over.
He tries to use Diver Down to pull his body up, but is unable to. The truck crashes, but Anasui and Weather land safely with the help of Weather's stand ability. Anasui interrogates Pinocchio further, ultimately destroying him. He wakes up back in his own body, but notices that the old man driver is acting strangely. He questions the driver's bloody mouth, chipped nail, tail, and Glasgow smile. The driver attacks him as a wolf, and Anasui is unable to summon Diver Down, unknowingly having separated once more. Anasui, from a passing bus, uses Diver Down to cut off the wolf's head, and sees himself once again.
Anasui's soul runs through Orlando looking for its body, being accused by a chocolate shop owner of trashing the store. In truth, his body had ran past just earlier, and despite Anasui's bribe (that he stole from the cash register), he is forced to change his appearance using Diver Down to avoid the police by phasing chocolates into his face. However, when he spits them out, they turn into small goats that tell the story of a wolf who ate many baby goats and subsequently had his stomach cut open and filled with rocks by the mother before drowning him. Anasui then finds himself turning into a wolf.
He goes to punch the goat reading the story, but attracts the attention of the mother unintentionally via the pleas of the goats inside his stomach. He tries to punch it into the ground, but the mother unfolds itself, being made of paper. Anasui runs down the alleyway and slams a heavy iron door, using Diver Down to change the inner workings so that it wouldn't open. The goats, however, simply open it as if it was paper. He attempts again, but fails, the mother goat cutting open his side. In order to escape, he has Diver Down phase into the wall and pull himself along to the door, momentarily escaping and hijacking a cop car. However, the car door opens to the alleyway from before, the goats jumping out and cutting open his stomach with rocks at the ready.
Anasui, stuck in a wildly veering cop car, falls out on top of Weather Report, in the middle of re-enacting Vincent Van Gogh's suicide. Anasui starts to melt, his own flesh drowning him. However, Weather's 'Put-Back Hero' returns things to the way they were before, the enemy stand's effect ceasing afterwards.
Heavy Weather Unleashed
Anasui and Weather Report end up outside the hospital where Jolyne and Ermes fight against Donatello Versus' stand, Under World.
After Versus uses Under World to deliver Weather Report's memory disc to Weather Report inside the hospital, he regains his memories and activates Heavy Weather. Anasui is shocked by Weather's new attitude, but follows him nevertheless in order to find Jolyne.
Following the subliminal effect spreading across the city, Anasui confronts Weather Report, who asks Anasui to kill him. Anasui is more upset about Weather not taking him to Jolyne than anything, but quickly gets serious when Weather informs him that Pucci is nearby. Anasui checks for him in the sewers, but only sees snails. Anasui suggests the car as a possible hiding spot before Weather gets his right leg chopped off by Pucci. He deflects a batch of snails coming towards him using Diver Down, and starts turning into a snail. However, he uses Diver Down on Weather to give him a makeshift leg and allow him to attack Pucci. Pucci reflects the sunlight on Anasui to make him turn into a snail faster, making him unable to focus enough to use his stand. He tries to attack once more, but is beaten into the asphalt by Whitesnake. As Whitesnake prepares the killing blow, Weather Report creates blood spikes on the ground that Pucci must use Anasui's vision to see due to his own blindness. He lists off the blood spikes and tells Pucci the way out, but fails to tell him about the spike forming on his shoulder. Anasui watches as Weather Report almost kills Pucci, but a car crashes into the one they were by, carrying Jolyne, Emporio, Ermes, and Versus. Jolyne is about to attack what she believes to be the priest, but Anasui uses Diver Down to reveal it as Donatello Versus' corpse.
As the others notice Weather's dead body, Anasui talks about his own callousness and lack of feeling, stating that the time Weather had with Jolyne and the others were the happiest times in his life. Anasui then reveals that he left behind the stand disc for Weather Report.
Countdown to Heaven
Battle Against Pucci and C-MOON
On the car ride to Cape Canaveral Space Station, Anasui notices Jolyne asleep on his chest and comments on how cute she is. He takes out a jeweled ring that he bought from the prison merchant, softly placing it on her finger. However, Ermes startles her by pointing out a large alligator and she unknowingly throws it at the alligator. Anasui repeatedly asks her to open her hands when he notices, weeping.
Anasui resolves to find Pucci as soon as possible and not wait for Jotaro to arrive, and as gravity turns 90 degrees away, he uses Diver Down on the road to hold on to everyone and keep them from falling. He motions that if they continue climbing a rail, they could get to the space station, and Jolyne makes up her mind to kill Pucci. Anasui thinks to himself about how in love he is with Jolyne. As they are on the sideways space station, Anasui watches as Jolyne is attacked by C-MOON, Pucci's new stand, shouting warnings for her and eventually using Diver Down to attack C-MOON. He is pelted with inside-out tiles and starts to fall, but Jolyne uses Stone Free to hold onto him and wrap around C-MOON's neck at the same time. Anasui warns her not to be reckless, and when C-MOON puts Jolyne's string in danger of turning inside-out, he phases Diver Down into it to have his own arm turn inside-out.
When Jolyne herself turns inside-out due to a direct attack, her strings dissolve and he uses Diver Down to anchor himself to the floor. He springs off towards Pucci after Emporio tells him that Jolyne is still alive in order to protect her. When he meets Pucci, he creates a decoy version of himself out of a civilian's corpse using Diver Down and tries to attack him. However, Pucci turns himself inside out and avoids the attack, countering and just barely missing Anasui, who floats off and grabs a pole to keep himself from falling.
Battle Against Pucci and Made In Heaven
As Jotaro and Ermes return, so does Anasui, the group surrounding Pucci. However, as Pucci floats into the air and starts to attain 'heaven', Anasui climbs onto the space shuttle and attacks Pucci with Diver Down. Pucci's new stand, Made in Heaven, emerges out of his arm. As Anasui tries to attack Pucci, a bright light fills the area and the group wakes up in Cape Canaveral with normal gravity. Anasui is touched by Jolyne worrying about him, but is soon confused by the effects of Made In Heaven when he accidentally drops a heavy rock on Ermes. Suddenly, Pucci begins to attack the group using the abilities he gained after attaining heaven.
Anasui takes this moment to ask Jotaro for Jolyne's hand in marriage, and gets frustrated without his permission. Jolyne inadvertently clings to Anasui explaining their plan, but is grabbed by Jotaro right afterward protectively. Despite this, Anasui still takes a blow that would have been fatal for Jotaro by phasing Diver Down into Jotaro's body. He gets wounded again shortly after on the hand by Pucci. As the group flies through the air through Kiss' ability, Anasui celebrates the possibility of marrying Jolyne to Emporio, prompting Jolyne to motivate him by telling him he could ask for her hand in marriage, finding his plan as their hope. Anasui posits that there is one way they could kill Pucci as he directs Emporio towards the marshes.
He tells Jotaro that since Pucci has no choice but to pick them off one by one, when Pucci goes in to kill him, he'll give Jotaro a signal for him to stop time and kill Pucci. He states that he is able to phase into anyone when they're as close together as they are, allowing him to take fatal blows. He states he will take the first blow, and the signal will be transferred through his stand, specifically mentioning for Jotaro to stop time after Pucci's blow to finish Anasui off, sacrificing himself.
As they land in the marshes and Anasui prepares himself, he is punched through the chest by a Stand. He gives the signal, but it is revealed that Pucci used his Stand to take Jolyne's Stone Free and used Stone Free to pierce through Anasui's chest. Anasui falls into the water, dead.
He is seen amongst the rest of the Stone Ocean protagonists in the clouds in the final panel.
In the alternate universe, Anasui has a counterpart by the name of Anakiss. When Emporio approaches his car, his girlfriend and Jolyne's counterpart, Irene, tells the boy that they will be going to her father so that she can ask him if she can marry Anakiss. They also offer a ride to their car to a distressed stranger, Ermes Costello's counterpart, in exchange for her money for gas. The group later picks up another stranger by the road, who seems to be Weather Report's counterpart.
Chapters / Episodes
- SO Chapter 24: Ermes's Sticker, Part 4
- SO Chapter 27: There's Six of Us!, Part 2 (Cover only)
- SO Chapter 58: Ultra Security House Unit
- SO Chapter 59: His Name Is Anasui
- SO Chapter 62: The Secret of Guard Westwood, Part 3
- SO Chapter 67: Enter the Dragon's Dream, Part 1
- SO Chapter 68: Enter the Dragon's Dream, Part 2
- SO Chapter 69: Enter the Dragon's Dream, Part 3
- SO Chapter 70: Enter the Dragon's Dream, Part 4
- SO Chapter 71: Enter the Dragon's Dream, Part 5
- SO Chapter 72: Enter the Foo Fighters
- SO Chapter 73: Enter the Dragon's Dream, Part 6
- SO Chapter 74: Enter the Dragon's Dream, Part 7
- SO Chapter 75: Father: Jotaro Kujo, Daughter: Jolyne Cujoh
- SO Chapter 76: Birth of the "Green", Part 1
- SO Chapter 77: Birth of the "Green", Part 2
- SO Chapter 78: Yo-Yo Ma Is Coming!, Part 1
- SO Chapter 79: Yo-Yo Ma Is Coming!, Part 2
- SO Chapter 80: Yo-Yo Ma Is Coming!, Part 3
- SO Chapter 81: Yo-Yo Ma Is Coming!, Part 4
- SO Chapter 82: Yo-Yo Ma Is Coming!, Part 5
- SO Chapter 83: F.F. - The Witness, Part 1
- SO Chapter 85: AWAKEN, Part 1
- SO Chapter 86: AWAKEN, Part 2
- SO Chapter 87: AWAKEN, Part 3
- SO Chapter 88: AWAKEN, Part 4
- SO Chapter 89: Whitesnake - The Pursuer, Part 1
- SO Chapter 90: Whitesnake - The Pursuer, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 92: Whitesnake - The Pursuer, Part 4
- SO Chapter 93: Whitesnake - The Pursuer, Part 5
- SO Chapter 94: Time for Heaven
- SO Chapter 95: New Moon! New Priest
- SO Chapter 96: Jail House Lock!, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 97: Jail House Lock!, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 101: Jail House Lock!, Part 6 (Cover only)
- SO Chapter 103: Three Men in the Hospital
- SO Chapter 104: Bohemian Rhapsody, Part 1
- SO Chapter 105: Bohemian Rhapsody, Part 2
- SO Chapter 106: Bohemian Rhapsody, Part 3
- SO Chapter 107: Bohemian Rhapsody, Part 4
- SO Chapter 108: Bohemian Rhapsody, Part 5
- SO Chapter 109: Bohemian Rhapsody, Part 6
- SO Chapter 110: Bohemian Rhapsody, Part 7
- SO Chapter 111: Long Time No See, Romeo (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 118: Time for Heaven: Three Days Until the New Moon
- SO Chapter 124: Under World, Part 6
- SO Chapter 125: Heavy Weather, Part 1
- SO Chapter 126: Heavy Weather, Part 2
- SO Chapter 127: Heavy Weather, Part 3 (Cover only)
- SO Chapter 131: Heavy Weather, Part 7 (Cover only)
- SO Chapter 133: Heavy Weather, Part 9
- SO Chapter 134: Heavy Weather, Part 10
- SO Chapter 135: Heavy Weather, Part 11
- SO Chapter 136: Heavy Weather, Part 12
- SO Chapter 137: Heavy Weather, Part 13
- SO Chapter 138: At Cape Canaveral
- SO Chapter 139: Gravity of the New Moon, Part 1
- SO Chapter 140: Gravity of the New Moon, Part 2
- SO Chapter 141: C-MOON, Part 1
- SO Chapter 142: C-MOON, Part 2
- SO Chapter 143: C-MOON, Part 3
- SO Chapter 144: C-MOON, Part 4
- SO Chapter 145: C-MOON, Part 5
- SO Chapter 146: C-MOON, Part 6
- SO Chapter 147: C-MOON, Part 7
- SO Chapter 148: C-MOON, Part 8
- SO Chapter 149: Made in Heaven, Part 1
- SO Chapter 150: Made in Heaven, Part 2
- SO Chapter 151: Made in Heaven, Part 3
- SO Chapter 152: Made in Heaven, Part 4
- SO Chapter 153: Made in Heaven, Part 5
- SO Chapter 154: Made in Heaven, Part 6 (Death)
- SO Chapter 155: Made in Heaven, Part 7 (Corpse only)
- SO Chapter 156: Made in Heaven, Part 8 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 158: What a Wonderful World (Mentioned only)
- SO Episode 10: Operation Savage Garden (Head to the Courtyard!), Part 1
- SO Episode 15: Ultra Security House Unit (1st full appearance)
- SO Episode 16: The Secret of Guard Westwood
- SO Episode 17: Enter the Dragon's Dream
- SO Episode 18: Enter the Foo Fighters
- SO Episode 19: Birth of the "Green"
- SO Episode 20: F.F. - The Witness
- SO Episode 21: AWAKEN
- SO Episode 22: Time for Heaven! New Moon! New Priest!
- SO Episode 23: Jail House Lock! (Mentioned only)
- SO Episode 25: Bohemian Rhapsody, Part 1
- SO Episode 26: Bohemian Rhapsody, Part 2
- SO Episode 28: Time For Heaven: Three Days Until the New Moon
- SO Episode 29: Under World
- SO Episode 30: Heavy Weather, Part 1
- SO Episode 31: Heavy Weather, Part 2
- SO Episode 32: Heavy Weather, Part 3
- SO Episode 33: Gravity of the New Moon
- SO Episode 34: C-MOON, Part 1
- SO Episode 35: C-MOON, Part 2
- SO Episode 36: Made in Heaven, Part 1
- SO Episode 37: Made in Heaven, Part 2 (Death)
- SO Episode 38: What a Wonderful World (Mentioned only)
- “Celebrate us. (祝福しろShukufuku shiro)”
- “I've fallen for her. From the first time I saw her, completely. And now, to go to the punishment ward for her father... her determination completely won me over. If I can protect her until the end... I'm going to marry her. (気に入ったんだよ。彼女を初めて見た時から何もかもな。父親のためにわざわざ「懲罰房」まで今回のその覚悟がさらに気に入った。彼女を守りきったなら…オレは彼女と結婚する。Kiniitta nda yo. Kanojo o hajimete mita toki kara nanimokamo na. Chichioya no tameni wazuwazu choubatsu bou made kankai no sono kakugo ga sarani kiniitta. Kanojo o mamorikitta nara... Ore wa kanojo to kekkon suru.)”
- “Diver Down. I stored it inside her body. If the attack towards Jolyne has already been decided... all I had to do was protect her, right when he delivered his kick!”
- “That's how I like it. I want you to look at me more... those eyes... just keep looking at me...”
- “I suggest that you get ready... get ready to regret that you were ever created!”
- “You're constantly giving me hope... I can see hope for myself through you, and I've never felt this way... not in a prison, not in the outside world. That's why I'm here.”
- “If there's no Mickey, this shit ain't Disney!!”
- “Listen, Jolyne. People have called me a murderer. The papers called me that, and I can't say I disagree with them. When people asked me if I would sacrifice myself for the sake of my family, I answered "no". I'd probably answer that way now. My heart was never moved by them. But I know I'd be willing to risk my life for something that was able to revive me. I used to be dead. Weather was that way, too. Weather came back to life when he left that prison. I can tell. So don't think too deeply about what happened to him. These past few days, Weather was happy. Weather was already saved.”
- “In order to protect Jolyne... I gotta kill that priest!”
- “Jolyne's strong will and pure heart, that she inherited from you her father, is the light that shines on the darkness of my heart... my heart, which could collapse at any moment!”
- “Now! Stop time!”
Creation and Development
At Lucca Comics and Games 2019, Araki revealed that the reason behind Anasui's sex seemingly changing after his first appearance was that he wanted to portray a character with an androgynous image that went beyond the standard definition of genders.
Masanori Shino, the character designer for Stone Ocean's anime adaptation, designed Anasui to draw out his androgynous appeal but also initially considered his original female look in the manga. Though the design is later omitted, Araki has later stated that it would have been fine for Anasui to be depicted as a woman.
- Anasui's voice actor in the Bandai Namco video games, Yuichi Nakamura, also voices Bruno Bucciarati in the Part 5 TV Anime. Similarly, his voice actor in the TV anime, Daisuke Namikawa, previously voiced Giorno Giovanna in the Bandai Namco video games.
- His English voice actor for the English dub of Stone Ocean, Howard Wang, also voiced Minoru Kaigamori in the dub for episode 2 of the Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan OVA series.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 SO Chapter 59: His Name Is Anasui, p.18
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 SO Chapter 60: The Secret of Guard Westwood, Part 1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 SO Chapter 60: The Secret of Guard Westwood, Part 1, p.18
- ↑ SO Chapter 154: Made in Heaven, Part 6
- ↑ JOJOVELLER: STANDS
- ↑ Stone Ocean Model Sheet No.CR206-81
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 SO Chapter 59: His Name Is Anasui
- ↑ SO Chapter 87: AWAKEN, Part 3
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 SO Chapter 140: Gravity of the New Moon, Part 2
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 SO Chapter 92: Whitesnake - The Pursuer, Part 4
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 SO Chapter 151: Made in Heaven, Part 3
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 SO Chapter 152: Made in Heaven, Part 4
- ↑ SO Chapter 95: New Moon! New Priest
- ↑ SO Chapter 143: C-MOON, Part 3
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 SO Chapter 153: Made in Heaven, Part 5
- ↑ SO Chapter 76: Birth of the "Green", Part 1
- ↑ SO Chapter 68: Enter the Dragon's Dream, Part 2
- ↑ SO Chapter 138: At Cape Canaveral
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 SO Chapter 77: Birth of the "Green", Part 2
- ↑ SO Chapter 81: Yo-Yo Ma Is Coming!, Part 4
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 21.2 21.3 SO Chapter 137: Heavy Weather, Part 13
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 SO Chapter 59: His Name Is Anasui, p.8
- ↑ SO Chapter 74: Enter the Dragon's Dream, Part 7
- ↑ SO Chapter 78: Yo-Yo Ma Is Coming!, Part 1
- ↑ Yo-Yo Ma Is Coming! story arc
- ↑ SO Chapter 89: Whitesnake - The Pursuer, Part 1
- ↑ SO Chapter 106: Bohemian Rhapsody, Part 3
- ↑ SO Chapter 59: His Name Is Anasui, p.6
- ↑ SO Chapter 71: Enter the Dragon's Dream, Part 5
- ↑ SO Chapter 142: C-MOON, Part 2
- ↑ SO Chapter 133: Heavy Weather, Part 9
- ↑ SO Chapter 125: Heavy Weather, Part 1
- ↑ SO Chapter 86: AWAKEN, Part 2
- ↑ SO Chapter 88: AWAKEN, Part 4
- ↑ SO Chapter 148: C-MOON, Part 8
- ↑ SO Episode 15: Ultra Security House Unit
- ↑ SO Chapter 24: Ermes's Sticker, Part 4
- ↑ SO Episode 10: Operation Savage Garden (Head to the Courtyard!), Part 1
- ↑ Lucca Comics (October 2019) | https://twitter.com/jojo_wiki/status/1195888073273303041
- ↑ Ultra Jump: Interview with Masanori Shino