Pearl Jam (パール・ジャム Pāru Jamu) is the Stand of Tonio Trussardi, featured in the fourth part of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, Diamond is Unbreakable.
When mixed with other ingredients, it is capable of healing a person's ailments.
Pearl Jam is a Stand possessing multiple bodies; each appearing as a cross between a tomato and a pearl onion, with arms and a face. The bodies are extremely small (as they need to be ingested to do anything); as well as seemingly invisible whilst bound to Tonio's dishes. Its design is based on a tomato and various Italian vegetables.
When uncovered by Josuke with his stand Crazy Diamond, they appear to express surprise, along with vocalizations like "meshaa!"/"meshii!" and "gii!".
Although shocking to witness, Pearl Jam is an entirely beneficial Stand centered around cooking and curing illnesses and is exclusively used as part of Tonio's restaurant service.
Pearl Jam has the ability to cure ailments through the ingestion of a specific dish. The limits of this ability are unknown, though it can heal incurable illnesses provided the right ingredients are involved.
After Tonio diagnoses specific ailments through palm reading, he prepares a high-class dish and in the process infuses Pearl Jam in it.
It is ambiguous whether Pearl Jam influences the eater's perception of the dish or not between Okuyasu Nijimura's overenthusiastic reactions to each dish and Tonio's inherent skill as cook. However anyone who has tasted a dish of his acknowledged that it was delicious.
Once inside the body, Pearl Jam uses the nutrient contained in the meal and the curative properties of the ingredients to cure whatever ailment is targeted by triggering physiological processes such as tear excretion or tooth growth of unnatural intensity or speed, or forcibly ejecting whatever organ is ill while replacing them. In a more extreme case, Pearl Jam opened Okuyasu's belly up in order to eject his intestines affected by diarrhea. The customer's body then comes back to normal as if nothing had happened, but with the ailment now completely cured. It is notable that a specific dish is compatible with a specific ailment, meaning the eater may be served a dish they are unwilling to eat (for instance Okuyasu detests spicy food but is given pasta made with peppers) and inversely an incompatible eater won't be cured (Josuke doesn't react to the still water of the restaurant).
The quality of the food and ingredients also affects how quickly and how strong the healing ability of his Stand is: the greater the ailment, the more expensive and high quality the ingredients have to be. In a spin-off, Tonio illegally harvests particularly high-class abalones in the hopes that the ingredient cures his lover, Virginia's cancer, something he couldn't cure with ordinary ingredients. However, once he fed her a dish made with the expensive rare abalone with Pearl Jam's abilities, she was fully healed.
Chapters / Episodes
- Chapter 303: Let's Go Eat Some Italian Food, Part 1
- Chapter 304: Let's Go Eat Some Italian Food, Part 2
- Chapter 305: Let's Go Eat Some Italian Food, Part 3
- Chapter 306: Let's Go Eat Some Italian Food, Part 4
- Chapter 412: Cheap Trick, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- DU Episode 10: Let's Go Eat Some Italian Food
- DU Episode 39: Goodbye, Morioh - The Golden Heart
All-Star Battle R (Various)
An ally in Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable. He is the user of the Stand Pearl Jam, and the proprietor of the Italian restaurant Trattoria Trussardi. He lives to cook, and to cook well. Although kind, he has an obsession with hygiene, which drives him into a rage if anyone sullies his kitchen.
Pearl Jam appears in All-Star Battle R as a Support Effect (サポート効果 Sapōto Kōka) titled Get Comfy With Pearl Jam (パール・ジャムで快適に Pāru Jamu de Kaiteki ni) (localized as "Get Comfy with Pole Jam"), costing 2000G to automatically regenerate the health overtime of the player who applies it.
The Stand also has a single Tag Line (プレイヤーカード名言 Pureiyā Kādo Meigen) wich can be unlocked by completing 190 Secret Missions in All-Star Battle Mode.
- “Aw yeah!”
- Araki was inspired to create Pearl Jam by challenging himself to somehow create a suspenseful story using cooking as the theme.
- ↑ Heaven's Door - Vol.16 "Shueisha Jump Remix Diamond is Unbreakable Edition" P90 The Origin of STAND! part.3
- ↑ JOJO A-GO!GO!: STANDS, p.104
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 JOJOVELLER: Araki's Stand Commentaries - Pearl Jam
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Chapter 303: Let's Go Eat Some Italian Food, Part 1
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Chapter 305: Let's Go Eat Some Italian Food, Part 3
- ↑ Chapter 306: Let's Go Eat Some Italian Food, Part 4
- ↑ Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe - Episode 6: Poaching Seashore