Earth Wind and Fire
Earth Wind and Fire (アース・ウィンド・アンド・ファイヤー Āsu Uindo Ando Faiyā) is the mysterious power possessed by Mikitaka Hazekura, featured in the fourth part of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series Diamond is Unbreakable. It grants him the ability to shapeshift.
Due to the mysterious circumstances surrounding its user, it is unknown whether Earth Wind and Fire is an actual Stand or an inherent extraterrestrial alien ability.
Like all abilities directly conferring supernatural powers to their users, Earth Wind and Fire does not actually possess a physical form. Instead, it is bound to its user's body.
Mikitaka's Earth Wind and Fire is a harmless shapeshifting power whose usefulness is mitigated by Mikitaka's eccentricity. As a result of Mikitaka's self-proclaimed alien identity, there is speculation regarding the true nature of Earth Wind and Fire and its origin. Due to the circumstances surrounding Mikitaka and the author's own intentional ambiguity, it is unknown if it is an alien ability or a Stand.
Earth Wind and Fire allows Mikitaka to transform into any object. When transforming, Mikitaka decomposes himself into a cluster of strips of an unidentified substance before recomposing himself into one or several objects of his choosing, replicating their appearance, weight, and texture.
When transformed into an object, he also takes on the properties of the object. Thus morphing a hand into an ice cream cone will make it cold or morphing himself into a pair of binoculars enables him to also observe things from afar. He can also partially undo the transformation.
Although he can theoretically perfectly replicate objects, Mikitaka is subjected to several limitations.
- He cannot reproduce complex items like machines or something that requires more strength than his own to operate.
- He considers all humans to look the same and cannot be subtle enough to copy someone's appearance.
- He must have a precise idea of what he's transforming into lest his replication ends up largely inaccurate (ex. Morphing into an inconsistent die).
- He is still subject to his bodily weaknesses; being thrown around as a pair of dice makes him sick and he will throw up, ruining the masquerade.
- He requires some amount of concentration to operate; if he panics when hearing a siren, he loses control over his power and the shapeshifting becomes random, eventually forcing Mikitaka into his human form.
More importantly, Mikitaka's own ignorance about Earth and human society signifies that he has no idea how he is supposed to act, and when transformed can easily act suspicious.
Earth Wind and Fire seems able to combine its strength with those of other people; when Mikitaka turned into sneakers for Josuke to wear, he notes that their strength combined is what made them able to move so fast.
Chapters / Episodes
- Hirohiko Araki mistakenly used the name "Earth Wind and Fire" again in Stone Ocean for the name of Viviano Westwood's Stand when Part 6's sixty-sixth chapter was published in Weekly Shonen Jump. The name was written slightly different in Japanese, written as "Āsu Windo Ando Faiyā" (アース・ウィンド・アンド・ファイヤー) as opposed to the original Stand?'s name spelling "Āsu Uindo Ando Faiyā" (アース・ウインド・アンド・ファイヤー). For the tankōbon release, the other Stand was renamed to "Planet Waves".