Jack the Ripper
Jack the Ripper (切り裂きジャック Kirisaki Jakku) is a tertiary antagonist featured in the first part of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, Phantom Blood.
Jack is a serial killer who meets Dio Brando and is transformed into a zombie sent to fight the Jonathan and the others. He was inspired by the historical figure of the same name.
Jack the Ripper was an adult man of average height and muscular build. He possesses a regular haircut and a full short beard.
First seen with a full suit, he would go bare-chested when transformed into a zombie and hide a number of daggers in his body.
Jack the Ripper is shown to have a gentlemanly facade, able to convince a woman to walk with him on a dark night. When he reveals his true colors, he does not hesitate to stab the unarmed woman to death. This trait becomes even worse when he's turned into a zombie as he becomes even more cruel and insane. Jack is shown to have a desire only to cut things and cause pain.
After being turned into a zombie, Jack becomes even more brutal than he was as a human. The zombified Jack is not only unable to feel pain, but also has incredible speed: he is shown to be able to kill a man, decapitate two horses, and hide inside the body of one horse in a matter of seconds.
After killing his final victim as a human, Jack was approached by a then-incapacitated Dio Brando who saw the evil in the man's heart and decides to make him one of his zombie minions. Refusing at first, Jack accepted after a failed attempt to kill Dio. (In the anime, Dio instead hypnotizes Jack to come forward so that the former could suck his blood to turn him into a loyal zombie servant.)
Later, he corners Jonathan Joestar, Robert E. O. Speedwagon and Will Anthonio Zeppeli in a tunnel on their way to Windknight's, decapitating their coachman along with the horses as he hid in one of them. Once revealing himself, Jack proceeded to throw the coach wagon into the mouth of the tunnel to prevent Jonathan and his companions from escaping. Zeppeli, fighting Jack to prove a point about Ripple energy and courage, manages to wound the zombie as he escapes into a labyrinth hidden in the tunnel, intending to attack from the darkness. Zeppeli gives Jonathan the task to finish off Jack as his final test, giving the youth a wine glass to pinpoint Jack's location on the other side of a wall. In the dark tunnels, Jack acquires a giant pincer with which he intends to cut Jonathan. His first attack failed and Jonathan is forced to abandon his torch. JoJo finally understands that the glass of wine acts as a detector and eliminates Jack with a huge Overdrive, surging through the brick wall and melting Jack.
Chapters / Episodes
- Chapter 6: A Letter from the Past, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 18: Jack the Ripper and Zeppeli the Strange, Part 1
- Chapter 21: Jack the Ripper and Zeppeli the Strange, Part 4
- Chapter 22: Jack the Ripper and Zeppeli the Strange, Part 5
- Chapter 23: Ripple Overdrive, Part 1 (Death)
- Chapter 24: Ripple Overdrive, Part 2 (Corpse only)
- Chapter 25: Ripple Overdrive, Part 3 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 26: Tarkus and the Dark Knight Bruford, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Episode 2: A Letter from the Past (Flashback)
- Episode 4: Overdrive (Death)
- “You've been playing too late, dirty harlot! (この夜遅くまで遊んでる堕落した女ガァーッ！！Kono yoru osokumade asonderu daraku shita on'na ga!!)”
- “You are like mice trapped underwater... I will warm my pale flesh with your fresh blood! Prepare to despair, insects! (罠とともに水に沈められるネズミのように…青ざめた面にしてからおまえらの鮮血のあたたかさを あぁぁ味わってやる！絶望ォーに身をよじねィ虫けちどもォオオーッ！！Wana to tomoni mizu ni shizume rareru nezumi no yō ni... Aozameta men ni shite kara omae-ra no senketsu no atataka-sa o aaaajiwatte yaru! Zetsubō ni mi o yoji nei-chū kechi-domoooo!!)”
Phantom Blood (PS2)
Jack appears as the enemy faced in Chapters 09 and 10. His special move allows him to launch all the scalpels in his body at the opponent. In Chapter 10, Jack acquires a medieval torture device, which he uses to perform surprise attacks on the player. Jack is playable during some battles in Extra Battle Mode, and can be selected in 77 Rings Knights Mode, albeit without his torture device in either instance.
- 77 Rings Knights Mode: Living Corpses
Stardust Shooters (Android/iOS)
Jack appears as one of several Part 1 characters to have a Medal Striker. His FINISH Move sees him using the torture device on the defeated opponent. If defeated, Jack's Medal Striker will drop a knife; if any other Medal Striker gets near it, they'll lose some health points.
- Jack's Japanese voice actor for the TV anime, Naomi Kusumi, would later go on to also voice Father Nijimura in the Diamond is Unbreakable TV anime. Also, Jack's English dub voice actor, Paul St. Peter, would later go on to also voice Wamuu in the Battle Tendency anime adaptation.