Yugo Kanno (菅野 祐悟 Kan'no Yūgo) is a Japanese composer and musician known for his work on various anime, TV series, and movies. He has composed the soundtracks for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The Animation, from Stardust Crusaders to Stone Ocean.
Kanno was offered the position of JoJo's composer by the series sound director, Yoshikazu Iwanami, during their time working together on Psycho-Pass. Other animated series he has composed for include Birdy the Mighty, Gundam Reconguista in G, and Ajin: Demi-Human.
Kanno was born in Saitama, Japan in 1977. Due to his father being a music enthusiast, he grew up listening to jazz and classical music from his childhood. He began to learn piano at the age of four and became passionate about soccer and piano at elementary school. He attended middle school in Kawagoe and spent a memorable childhood period such as taking charge of percussion instruments in a brass band. After entering high school, he started to teach composing lessons before later moving to Takanezawa for university.
In 1997, he entered the Tokyo Department of Music Composition. After graduating from the Tokyo College of Music, department of composition, film scoring course, he started offering music to artists.
In 2004, he made his debut at the age of 27 in a Fuji TV drama called Last Christmas. After that, he became active in a wide range of music production including movies, TV dramas, animation, and documentaries.
On December 14, 2007 he held his first orchestral concert which has since become an annual event. In 2012, he began work as a painter after casually painting a portrait of a friend who came by while he was in the studio.
Other Notable Works
- Psycho-Pass (2012) - Composer
- Gundam Reconguista in G (2014) - Composer
- Psycho-Pass 2 (2014) - Composer
- Ajin: Demi-Human (2016) - Composer
- Psycho-Pass 3 (2019) - Composer
- Levius (2019) - Composer
- The Millionaire Detective Balance: Unlimited (2020) - Composer
- Cells at Work! Code Black (2021) - Composer
- 2.43: Seiin High School Boys Volleyball Team (2021) - Composer
- March Comes in like a Lion (2017) - Composer
- Blame! (2017) - Composer
- Batman Ninja (2018) - Composer
- Psycho-Pass: Sinners of the System (2019) - Composer
- Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness (2021) - Composer
The jingle of "Morioh town RADIO" that plays throughout the series. It has a really happy and easygoing feel to it, doesn't it? I also composed a Western music-style song in English like one of those often played on FM radio stations, and it's one of my favorites. It's not often that the chance to write a song like that comes along. Speaking of Western music, the ending song is also a favorite of mine, although it's not my own song. I found out later that it was a request from Mr. Araki and was quite impressed by that. It's a bit strange to say this myself, but he has a great sense of style.
[Translated by MetallicKaiser (JoJo's Bizarre Encyclopedia)]
- Kanno had read JoJo as a kid during Part 4's publication in Weekly Shonen Jump, however, he notes that he didn't really notice how much depth the series had until he reread it as an adult.
- While working on the Part 4 soundtrack, Kanno had the hardest time figuring out the character themes for Shigekiyo Yangu and Ken Oyanagi.
- Yugo Kanno's favorite ending theme is Last Train Home.
- Yugo Kanno's favorite track during Part 4's productions was FAITH.