Yugo Kanno (菅野 祐悟 Kan'no Yūgo) is a Japanese composer and musician known for his work on various anime, TV series, and movies. He composed the soundtracks for the TV Anime adaptation of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, from Stardust Crusaders to Stone Ocean.
Kanno was offered the position of JoJo's composer by the series sound director, Yoshikazu Iwanami, during their time working together on Psycho-Pass. Other animated series he has composed for include Birdy the Mighty, Gundam Reconguista in G, and Ajin: Demi-Human.
Kanno was born in Saitama, Japan in 1977. Due to his father being a music enthusiast, he grew up listening to jazz and classical music from his childhood. He began to learn piano at the age of four and became passionate about soccer and piano at elementary school. He attended middle school in Kawagoe and spent a memorable childhood period such as taking charge of percussion instruments in a brass band. After entering high school, he started to teach composing lessons before later moving to Takanezawa for university.
In 1997, he entered the Tokyo Department of Music Composition. After graduating from the Tokyo College of Music, department of composition, film scoring course, he started offering music to artists.
In 2004, he made his debut at the age of 27 in a Fuji TV drama called Last Christmas. After that, he became active in a wide range of music production including movies, TV dramas, animation, and documentaries.
On December 14, 2007 he held his first orchestral concert which has since become an annual event. In 2012, he began work as a painter after casually painting a portrait of a friend who came by while he was in the studio.
|Cover||Name||Composer||# of Tracks||Release Date|
|1||Stardust Crusaders 「Departure」
|Yugo Kanno||23||July 30, 2014|
|2||Stardust Crusaders 「Journey」
|Yugo Kanno||13||August 27, 2014|
|3||Stardust Crusaders 「World」
|Yugo Kanno||20||April 22, 2015|
|4||Stardust Crusaders 「Destination」
|Yugo Kanno||27||May 27, 2015|
|5||JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:
Theme Song Best「Generation」
|Various Artists||8||August 23, 2017|
|6||Diamond is Unbreakable
~Good Morning Morioh Cho~
|Yugo Kanno||23||July 27, 2016|
|7||Diamond is Unbreakable
|Yugo Kanno||9||July 27, 2016|
|8||Diamond is Unbreakable
|Yugo Kanno||10||December 21, 2016|
|9||Diamond is Unbreakable
~Good Night Morioh Cho~
|Yugo Kanno||25||December 21, 2016|
|10||Golden Wind: Overture||Yugo Kanno||26||December 19, 2018|
|11||Golden Wind: Intermezzo||Yugo Kanno||26||March 27, 2019|
|12||Golden Wind: Finale||Yugo Kanno||28||August 14, 2019|
Other Notable Works
- Psycho-Pass(2012) - Composer
- Gundam Reconguista in G(2014) - Composer
- Psycho-Pass 2 (2014) - Composer
- Ajin: Demi-Human(2016) - Composer
- Blame!(2017) - Composer
- Psycho-Pass 3(2019) - Composer
- Levius(2019) - Composer
- The Millionaire Detective Balance: Unlimited(2020) - Composer
- Cells at Work! Code Black(2021) - Composer
- March Comes in like a Lion(2017) - Composer
- Batman Ninja(2018) - Composer
- Psycho-Pass: Sinners of the System(2019) - Composer
- Kanno had read JoJo as a kid during Part 4's publication in Weekly Shonen Jump, however, he notes that he didn't really notice how much depth the series had until he reread it as an adult.
- While working on the Part 4 soundtrack, Kanno had the hardest time figuring out the character themes for Shigekiyo Yangu and Ken Oyanagi.