Tomokazu Sugita (杉田 智和, Sugita Tomokazu) is a Japanese voice actor who voices Joseph Joestar in the first season of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The Animation. He also voices old Joseph in Episode 26 and All-Star Battle.
Sugita voices numerous characters from other media such as Kyon in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Gintoki Sakata in Gintama, Ragna the Bloodedge in BlazBlue, Gundam Tanaka in Danganronpa, Escanor in The Seven Deadly Sins, Charlotte Katakuri in One Piece, and Gyomei Himejima in Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba.
Sugita entered Mullers talent agency during high school after receiving an award sponsored by the Japan Narration Acting Institute. He subsequently made his debut as a voice actor at age 17 as an announcement narrator for Kamen Rider on SKY PerfecTV!. After Muller's closure in 2001, Sugita transferred to Atomic Monkey after a brief period as a freelancing voice actor.
In 2002, he eventually got his first TV anime role as the character Hideki Motosuwa in the series, Chobits. Sugita won the award for "Best Supporting Actor" in the 2009 Seiyu Awards. As of April 2020, Sugita left Atomic Monkey and is now the representative director at his own company, AGRS.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Roles
- When asked who his favorite season one character was, Sugita replied "Atsushi Imaruoka", Rudol von Stroheim's voice actor. His favorite line to voice was Joseph shouting Caesar Anthonio Zeppeli's name after the latter died in Episode 20.
- Sugita was a fan of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure before getting his role as Joseph. He read the manga and played the game.
- Sugita was asked to audition for both Jonathan Joestar and Joseph. After an awkward silence with his Jonathan audition, they moved onto the Joseph audition.
- After getting the offer to be Joseph, Sugita didn't know if he should accept because he didn't think he would fit the part.
- The Stardust Crusaders anime wasn't green-lit at the time he recorded the last episode, so Sugita was forced to voice act as Old Joseph even though he didn't want to. He thought someone older like Unsho Ishizuka would be better, and was really happy when Ishizuka got cast to be Joseph later on.
- Sugita loved Diamond is Unbreakable when he read it in Weekly Shonen Jump, especially since it was set in Japan and the setting of Morioh was easy to understand. When Part 5 started, he couldn't accept the change and that Josuke's story had ended so he refused to read it at first. However, he read it all later and loved it. He thought Fugo was crazy and would have liked to see more spotlight on Prosciutto and other great characters.