Tadashi Harada (原田 忠, Harada Tadashi) is a Japanese professional hair and makeup artist for Shiseido. He is most known for his 3D visualizations of various anime and manga, including JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Terra Formars, Gundam, Gurren Lagann, Gin Tama, Lupin the Third, and Pokémon.
Born in 1971, Harada grew up with his mother who ran a beauty salon. After graduating from high school in Numata, Gunma, Harada joined the Air Self-Defense Force with the hopes of becoming a pilot. However, stuck working as an air traffic controller, Harada decided to pursue a job in a different career. Harada wanted to work someplace closer to where he grew up, and so turned to the beauty industry.
At the age of 22, Harada quit the Air Self-Defense Force and entered the Yamano College of Aesthetics. After graduating, he worked in a salon for five years. In March 2000, he graduated from the SABFA (Shiseido Academy of Beauty and Fashion), and joined Shiseido in April 2000. Harada was employed as part of the company's Beauty Creation Research Center and had been involved in hair and makeup related actives in New York, Paris, and Toyko.
In 2013, Harada collaborated with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure to create a JoJo-inspired photoshoot featuring fashion models as live-action homages of characters from the series. It originally featured a total of 15 characters from Part 3 to Part 6, including Giorno, Jolyne, Rohan and Josuke. The photoshoot took place over the course of about two years, and was created with the goal of presenting JoJo in a way that hadn't been seen before through the use of hair, makeup, and fashion. The photoshoot was originally meant to be shown at the Hirohiko Araki JoJo Exhibition 2012, however it was unable to completed in time. Instead it was later shown at Harada's own solo hair makeup exhibition that took place Tokyo and Osaka from March 30 to April 2, 2013.
In January 2014, a new photoshoot was created featuring Trish and Doppio from Part 5, Mikitaka and Terunosuke from Part 4, and Sandman from Part 7. The photoshoot was announced in the February 2014 issue of "Re-quest/QJ" magazine, which featured Trish Una on the cover. On January 25, 2017, Harada released his book titled "The Complete Guide to Tadashi Harada" which featured various works from his career as a hair and makeup stylist, also including his works featuring JoJo.
On July 27, 2017, Harada teased the two visuals for the 2018 Guide Pamphlet for the SABFA school in an Instagram post and stated that he had "manifested the stand of hair". In a later post, he put forth the question, “what if women could manifest their own supernatural power to make themselves more beautiful?” He expressed this idea through a ‘vision’ of hair with a will of its own moving makeup brushes and lipsticks freely, as if it was a Stand. He named the Stand, The Makeup (ザ・メイキャップ, Za Meikyappu), and also gave it stats.
- Destructive Power: A - "Beauty doesn’t need destructive power, but it’s certainly a heartbreaker."
- Speed: A - "Analyzes faces at light speed."
- Effective Range: C - "Close range feather touch type."
- Endurance: A - "The search for beauty is never ending."
- Precision: A - "Delicacy to the very micro-level."
- Development: A - "Increase your beauty sense until baptized by time."
Freedom In The Dark
In 2019, Harada was the hair and makeup artist for the music video "Freedom In The Dark" by Tomoyasu Hotei, as he is a frequent collaborator with Hotei. The song was released May 29, 2019 as part of the Guitarhythm VI album. In a twitter post, Harada confirmed that Jolyne and Sandman are hidden within the video as the look for two of the models.
- 2008: Exhibition Tadashi Harada Zenbu held in Tokyo, Omotesando and Singapore
- 2009: Exhibition & Hair Make Live Tadashi Harada Zenbu Ver.2.0 held in Osaka and Fukuoka
- 2009: Exhibition & Hair Make Live Tadashi Harada Zenbu Ver.3.0 held in Nagoya and Sapporo
- 2011: Exhibition & Hair Make Live BIGINS held in Gunma
- 2011: Exhibition & Hair Make Live Tadashi Harada Zenbu !! Ver.4.0 held in Gunma
- 2013: Exhibition & Hair Make Live Tadashi Harada Zenbu !! Ver.5.0 held in Nakameguro, Tokyo
- 2001: Award for best hair mode
- 2003: JHA (Japan Hair Dressing Awards) Best Newcomer Award
- 2004: JHA (Japan Hair Dressing Awards) Grand Prix
- 2005: JHA (Japan Hair Dressing Awards) Second Prize Winner
- 2006: JHA (Japan Hair Dressing Awards) Second Prize Grand Prix
- 2007: Received JHA (Japan Hair Dressing Awards) Aoyama Art Festival Award
- 2009: JHA (Japan Hair Dressing Awards) Second Prize Grand Prix
- 2012: JHA (Japan Hair Dressing Awards) Grand Prix
In JOJOmenon, a mook released to commemorate JoJo's Bizarre Adventure's 25th Anniversary in 2012, Harada was included with a comment from him talking about what kind of Stand he would like to have and his enjoyment of the series.