Kadono is best known for his Boogiepop series of light-novels which has spawned a multimedia franchise.
Kouhei Kadono was born on December 12, 1968, in Chiba Prefecture but he was raised in Kanagawa Prefecture. Kadono graduated from the Kanagawa Prefectural Noba High School and from Hosei University's Faculty of Economics, Department of Commerce. He has a famous cousin in Kokontei Ginshi, a rakugo storyteller.
Prior to his debut as a writer, Kadono participated in several writing competitions for newcomers such as the "Japan Fantasy Novel Awards" or the "Cobalt Novel Awards", and was active as a modeler. In 1991, Kouhei Kadono's work "Vermilion Shinigami" was rejected in the 3rd Fantasia Feature Novel Award. In 1996, his work "Super Magic Hyper Machine" was selected as a finalist for the first "Sonorama Bunko Grand Prize". Kouhei Kadono's breakthrough came in 1997 when he won the 4th Dengeki Novel Grand Prize with his work "Boogiepop and Others", with which he made his official debut as a writer with a publication in 1998. The Boogiepop series became highly successful over the years, selling over 200 million volumes, being translated in English and being adapted into an anime and a movie.
Soon after his debut, Kouhei Kadono continued to write light-novels at Dengeki Bunko and is said to have been one of the key figures behind the light novel boom that began in the 1990s. Afterwards, Kadono continued to publish various light novels for various publishers and expand his activities.
In 2011, Kouhei Kadono wrote the light-novel Purple Haze Feedback depicting the adventures of Pannacotta Fugo after the events of Vento Aureo. It was released as part of the special JoJo 25th Anniversary project "VS JOJO".
In 2019, Kouhei Kadono was in charge of drafting and supervising the world of the virtual card game ZENONZARD.
- Boogiepop series (23 light novels), 1998 - 2019
- Jiken series (6 light novels), 2000 - 2016
- Night Watch series (3 light novels + 1 spin-off), 2000 - 2013
- Beat's Discipline series (4 light novels), 2000 - 2005
- Shizuru-san series (4 light novels + 1 spin-off), 2003 - 2014
- Soul Drop series (7 light novels), 2004 - 2012
- Regret of Valpurgis series (4 light novels), 2007 - 2011
- Purple Haze Feedback, 2011
- Additional short story "Trish Handing Flowers"
- Spiral Emperoider series (4 light novels), 2011 - 2016
- Manufacture Human series (2 light novels), 2017 - 2020
- Various one-shots and anthologies