The Visitor, Part 1 (面会人 その① Menkainin Sono 1) is the third episode of Stone Ocean and the one-hundred-fifty-fifth episode of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime. The episode covers from chapter 10 to chapter 13 and a scene from chapter 75 of the original manga.
Jolyne acclimates to prison, but a mysterious boy delivers an ominous message before Jolyne receives a visit from her father and an enemy Stand user.
Jolyne begins to understand the limitations of her ability. When unraveled into string, Stone Free can travel far, but is weak and easily damaged; when clumped up together, it forms a body with a range of two meters but much better strength. However, it is not strong enough to break through prison bars.
At the prison phones, Jolyne waits to make a call. A prisoner asks her for a dollar to continue her call, and she obliges. When she tries to approach an empty phone, she's knocked back by another prisoner. She's told that the phones are reservation only, and that she will have to wait a month before using one. Gwess approaches her, but Jolyne wants nothing to do with her. Gwess warns her about giving away money, and says that giving away even a dollar is enough to damage Jolyne's reputation.
In the prison library, Jolyne confronts the prisoner for her dollar but the prisoner reacts defensively. After being asked for more money, Jolyne goes to the restroom. She uses Stone Free to discretely feed the prisoner the remains of a crushed coin poured into her drink. The prisoner suddenly develops a bad stomachache, and rushes to the restroom but Jolyne is inside. The prisoner offers to repay Jolyne her dollar for the bathroom, but Jolyne refuses. The prisoner increases her offer to ten dollars, so Jolyne accepts. Jolyne takes the money and helps a timid prisoner get her money back as well. As she walks away, Jolyne spots a baseball roll by, as well as a boy in a Cubs uniform chasing after it. The boy warns her that someone will come to meet her tomorrow, and that she cannot go see him no matter what as "something worse than death" will occur. Jolyne looks away for a moment, and the boy disappears. While Jolyne wonders how a child sneaked in the prison, a guard hits her hand with his baton for hanging onto the bars.
A blind male prisoner finishes taking a shower. As he exits the shower room, a guard informs him of a visitor's arrival in the next building. The prisoner slips the guard some money as he leaves, while the guard mentions that his pants are on backwards.
Later in the cafeteria, the guard that hit Jolyne apologizes while tapping her hand with his handcuffs. He tells her that she has a visitor. After handcuffing her, the guard takes Jolyne to the visiting center and explains the rules, telling her to wait there until the visitor is ready. Suddenly, the boy who had warned Jolyne earlier grabs her arm, reaching out from the inside of a trash can. He warns her again not to meet with the visitor. Jolyne is confused, and refuses to heed his warning. Understanding that he won't change her mind, the boy gives her a strange-looking bone, telling her not to let go of it.
Jolyne enters the room with the visitor and sees a tall man in dark clothing. The man turns around, revealing himself to be Jotaro Kujo, Jolyne's father. There's a flashback of when Jolyne was 14 years old. She is being detained for car and wallet theft as well as assault. Jolyne's mom talks with the police about letting Jolyne go and they decide not to charge her due to her age. Jolyne's mom calls Jotaro on the phone but he says he's headed to Tokyo and can't come. Jolyne thinks she sees her father approach her, but it is just a man dressed like him.
Back in the present, Jotaro asks his daughter about the pendant he gave her. Angered at the thought of Jotaro acting like a father, Jolyne knocks the guard unconscious, saying that she'd rather receive disciplinary action than see him. Jotaro shows her a picture of the blind prisoner, Johngalli A.. He tells his daughter that it was Johngalli who set up the car accident that sent her to prison. He explains that a henchman of Johngalli threw a hitchhiker in front of their car, then hired a lawyer to trick Jolyne into an invalid plea deal. After Jolyne takes her frustrations out on the unconscious guard, she asks why Johngalli would target her.
Jotaro explains that Johngalli A. was a loyal follower of an old enemy of his, and that Johngalli imprisoned Jolyne to get his revenge on the Joestar bloodline. Jotaro can tell that Jolyne had developed a Stand, and tells her to use it to escape the prison. Jolyne tells Jotaro she doesn't consider him a father to her, and says that she won't work with him. She walks towards the door headed back towards the prison, stating that she will escape by herself without Jotaro's help.
Jotaro notices there is a fresh cigarette on the table, but it doesn't match the ones in the guard's pocket. Jolyne, ignoring him, continues to the door. Suddenly, a bullet wounds her chest. Jotaro summons Star Platinum and uses it to stop time. He approaches his daughter, observing that she used Stone Free to create a string net on her chest. The net dispersed the power of the bullet, similar to a bullet proof vest, and allowed her to survive.
The pressure from the bullet sends Jolyne flying back into a table. Jotaro warns her to stay away from the door, explaining the sniper must have been waiting for a chance to kill them. Believing the sniper is using a Stand to somehow sense their movement and location, he explains how Johngalli A. could sneak a silenced sniper rifle into the prison.
Jotaro looks outside to see Johngalli A.'s Stand, Manhattan Transfer, gliding outside the room. The Stand appears to dance around in the air. Jotaro warns his daughter not to do anything, but she tries to launch a string at it. It dodges, causing Jolyne to realize that it reacts to air currents.
As they watch the Stand, the prison guard Jolyne had knocked out wakes up and tries to attack her. She tries to warn the guard of the danger, but the guard is too enraged to listen. Jotaro steps in front of Jolyne to knock away the guard, but is too late as Johngalli's bullet pierces his shoulder. Jolyne looks at her father in shock.
Chief Animation Director (総作画監督)
Assistant Animation Director (作画監督補)
Mechanical Animation Director (メカ作画監督)
Key Animation (原画)
Takeshi MoritaKentaro Ishikawa
2nd Key Animation (第二原画)
Liden Films Kyoto (ライデンフィルム京都)
Asahi Production (旭プロダクション)
In-between Animation Inspection (動画チェック)
In-between Animation (動画)
Asahi Production (旭プロダクション)
Asahi Production Shiroishi Studio
Wao World (ワオワールド)
Design Cooperation (デザイン協力)
3D Modeling (3Dモデリング)
CG Modeling Cooperation
Eyecatch Illustration (アイキャッチ原画)
|SO Episode 3: The Visitor, Part 1
||Explanation of Stone Free
||The rules of the phone booths
||Gwess tells Jolyne to assert herself
||The blonde girl tries to bully Jolyne
||Jolyne spikes the bully's coffee
||Emporio warns Jolyne
||Johngalli A. learns about Jotaro's visit
||Jolyne going to the visiting room/Emporio's second warning
||Jolyne flashback/Jolyne hitting the guard
||Jotaro explaining Johngalli A.'s plan
||Johngalli A.'s grudge/Jotaro plan on breaking Jolyne out
||Something is wrong?
||Jolyne is shot
||Discussing how Johngalli A. could have a sniper rifle/Manhattan Transfer appears
- Removed Gwess saying that she'll be like a servant to Jolyne and that she came to check up on her because she was worried.
- Changed the book the blonde prisoner was reading from Le Comte de Monte-Cristo to "Artemis's Angels", a reference to Apollo's Angels by Jennifer Homans.
- Changed the books that two other prisoners were reading.
- Removed the blonde prisoner trying to call the guard to open the gate so she could leave when Jolyne first refuses to get out of the washroom.
- Removed Gwess and the other prisoners looking alert after Jolyne is attacked by a guard.
- Removed Jolyne yelling in her head about who the kid she saw was before she passes out.
- Moved Johngalli A.'s introduction to be earlier.
- Removed scene of male prisoners playing cards outside when the wind starts picking up and blows their cards away. The prisoners try picking up all the cards while Johngalli mutters to himself about what's happening outside.
- Added scene of Johngalli handing over his $10 bill to the guard.
- Shortened the visitation rules explained by the guard. Removed him mentioning the reason for kisses and undressing being forbidden is due to prisoners possibly being able to exchange objects if they do so. He also doesn't mention that conversations are recorded.
- Added scene of the guard telling Jolyne to stop dawdling and to get in the room.
- Moved the flashback from SO Chapter 75 of 14-year-old Jolyne to show now. However, it doesn't show the beginning where Jolyne is framed by a boy's father for stealing the kid's wallet and their car.
- Removed Jotaro mentioning that Jolyne's lawyer could spin the law anyway he wants and that since Jolyne already has a charge for vehicle theft, it was easy to pin another crime on top of that.
- Added scene of Jotaro telling Jolyne to sit down. In the manga, they're standing the whole time but are sitting when the illusion takes place.
- Added Jolyne saying she doesn't understand and thought Jotaro was just a marine biologist.
- Added Jolyne being surprised when Jotaro mentions Stands and realizing that Jotaro has one too.
- Removed Jolyne saying that Jotaro always mentions something bad every time they meet, like that he will be getting divorced with her mom.
- Added scene of Jolyne standing up and then realizing her handcuffs disappeared.
- Added scene of water dropping before Jotaro realizes that a cigarette has suddenly been lit.
- Changed Jotaro asking Jolyne who was smoking and Jolyne saying she doesn't smoke to Jotaro realizing the brand was different in his head.
- Changed Jotaro saying "Star Platinum" to "Star Platinum: The World".
- Removed Star Platinum flicking away the bullet from Jolyne's string net and Jotaro being impressed that she was quickly able to create it.
- Removed Jotaro ordering Jolyne to put out the cigarette since he thinks Johngalli was using it to track Jolyne's movements. Jolyne yells at him to stop acting so high and mighty and then puts it out.
- Jotaro saying that Jolyne survived due to coincidence and good fortune is moved. He only says it after they see Manhattan Transfer.
- Removed Jotaro saying that they can't predict the timing of Johngalli's next shot, especially if he has a silencer on his gun. Instead, Jotaro says Johngalli A. is undoubtedly a Stand user.
- Removed Jotaro thinking that his Star Platinum can stop time for two seconds and wondering when he should stop time next.
- The scene of Jolyne asking Jotaro if he knows what the bone that Emporio gave her is has been moved to occur later instead (SO Episode 5).
- Removed Jotaro stopping time when he tries to protect Jolyne and commenting to himself that he was too late.