Stone Ocean - Episode 1
Stone Ocean (
Set in 2011 and in the US state of Florida, young Jolyne Cujoh is framed for a DUI and imprisoned but would gain a mysterious new power after receiving a bizarre item from her estranged father.
It is the 28th of October, 5:35 P.M. Standing in a rainstorm, a young woman beside a car is seen staring at the corpse of a man. She is shown to have a tattoo of a butterfly on her left arm.
In a holding room, various female prisoners are seen in different cells. One particular prisoner, a woman with braided hair, is annoyed by the noise of another prisoner. This prisoner is revealed to be Jolyne, who is banging her head against her cot out of embarrassment for getting caught masturbating by a guard. Jolyne says she will never masturbate again. When one of the other prisoners mocks her, Jolyne asks her if she wants to bet who would last longer without doing it. The prisoner says they wouldn't be able to prove whether they've ever done it since it's done in secret, but Jolyne points out that the prisoner is in jail for sexual assault because her ring finger is discolored. Just before Jolyne and the woman with braided hair are transferred to prison, Jolyne claims that she's innocent.
Jolyne is informed by her lawyer that she has been arranged to go to Green Dolphin Street Prison to receive her punishment for her crime. The lawyer also brought essentials for Jolyne's use, with a pendant from her father among them. After opening the pendant, Jolyne cuts her finger with a chipped stone stored inside the amulet. Jolyne states that her father had never been there for her, and that it would be useless to contact him. On a photo inside the amulet, an image of her father wearing a cap and white clothing along with her mother is shown. She throws the amulet away and it drops into a drain.
Later, Jolyne talks with the same woman with braided hair, in a vehicle heading to Green Dolphin Street Prison. She introduces herself as Ermes Costello, and informs Jolyne that she will need to have money in the prison. Jolyne manages to guess where Ermes is hiding her own money: a surgically added hole in her left breast.
After Jolyne exits the vehicle, she hears a conversation, although no one is speaking nearby. As she is listening to the conversation, she discovers a string coming out of her injured finger. The string leads back to the truck she was on, and the conversation she was hearing is revealed to be Ermes being threatened by the guards. Using the string, Jolyne manages to stop a guard from striking Ermes by cutting the guard's ear off, and steals some money with the same string.
On November 8 at 11 P.M., Jolyne talks with her lawyer again, wondering where her pendant went after she threw it away. Jolyne thinks back to October 28 at 5:32 P.M. when she was in a car with her boyfriend, Romeo, during a rainy evening. To Romeo's dismay, Jolyne acts overly affectionate towards him. Romeo asks for a sip of her drink but Jolyne refuses since it's a cocktail with 10% alcohol in it.
While they look at each other, a body suddenly crashes into Romeo's windshield. The car veers off to the side of the road, as Jolyne and Romeo are shocked. Jolyne looks back, and sees a corpse hanging from a tree. She begins to call an ambulance, but Romeo stops her. Fearing that their futures are at stake, he convinces her that they must hide the body. They put the corpse in the trunk and drive away.
Her lawyer tells her that Romeo reported the car was stolen, and that Jolyne was suspected of stealing the car and hitting a civilian while drunk. The lawyer asks if Romeo was the actual driver, to which Jolyne replies that she cannot say. The lawyer states that if she freely admits to the crime, some charges will be dropped and she will only receive a one-to-two year sentence. Jolyne refuses, holding on to the idea that she is innocent. However, in court, she accepts the terms of the bargain, and pleads guilty to all charges. It is then revealed her lawyer had deceived her. The body that she hid in a swamp was actually alive so Jolyne is being charged with murder. Thus, the plea bargain is invalid and she is sentenced to fifteen years at Green Dolphin Street Prison. The lawyer talks with Romeo outside the courtroom, revealing their scheme to frame Jolyne for the crime. Jolyne overhears them with her ability.
Jolyne is taken to prison in a straitjacket, where the guards explain that she is in level four maximum security prison. They assign her the prisoner number FE40536. Jolyne is then instructed to strip so they can search her. Once naked, she mocks the guards by posing suggestively. After taking her mugshot, Jolyne spots her lawyer outside her bars, who is there to hand over some papers. He feigns being respectable and noble while speaking with one of the guards. The guard hands him a note from Jolyne, reading "Pass this to him, too. Feeling comfy? But you will keep sweating. Now... and forever." Jolyne swears that she will escape prison and enact her revenge.
In his car, the lawyer turns on the air conditioning, causing strings to come out of the fans and strangle him. His car crashes into the railway, injuring him. Elsewhere in the prison, an unidentified prisoner carries the pendant Jolyne had received from her father.
Asahi Production (旭プロダクション)
|SO Episode 1: Stone Ocean|
- The initial shot of the female prisoner scratching a button against a prison bar to cut up magazines is removed. The magazines in her cell are not there.
- Ermes mentioning that the prison guard looks like a young Tom Cruise has been altered to saying he's handsome.
- Ermes baiting the co-prisoner by saying she couldn't last until lunchtime is omitted.
- Removed whenever Ermes mentions if Jolyne learned things from a Japanese masseuse. Instead she asks if Jolyne can do divinations.
- Jolyne asking whether Ermes believes her about being innocent is omitted.
- Jolyne saying she's not wearing her panties and pointing out that the guard who put her handcuffs on is the same 'Tom Cruise' guard that saw her earlier is omitted.
- Added shot of the holding jail that Jolyne is in before her lawyer talks.
- Removed Jolyne mentioning that she is no longer in a biker gang and that she's been going to school.
- Removed Jolyne mentioning that Jotaro is never home; even when she was really sick with a fever and on the brink of death as a 6 year old, Jotaro was staying in Japan instead.
- Removed the lawyer telling Jolyne to take care.
- Added shot of the police car and bus driving to Green Dolphin Street Prison.
- Added scene of Ermes starting the conversation with Jolyne first. Ermes questions why Jolyne is there if she's innocent. Jolyne then hears the drivers talking after.
- Moved the narration of the prison to after Ermes introduces herself.
- Removed Jolyne asking what she would need money for in prison and whether they sell caviar for meals.
- Removed Jolyne asking if Ermes hid money in her shoes.
- Removed Ermes saying she won't tell Jolyne about where she hid the money and Jolyne being desperate to find out.
- Removed Jolyne being embarrassed about the Tom Cruise guard appearing again.
- Removed 'Tom Cruise' saying that he saw Ermes show Jolyne something under her armpit and that she should blame Jolyne for making her talk about where she hid the money.
- Removed the guards telling Jolyne to wait there and then walk forward when the gate behind her closes.
- Removed Jolyne wondering why she stopped hearing things and thinks she just hallucinated it because she grew up without a loving father.
- Rearranged the flashback of Romeo and Jolyne in the car to be after the lawyer asks who was in the driver's seat.
- Removed Romeo asking whether Jolyne is in a biker gang as someone had mentioned it in school and Jolyne changing the conversation by saying she has a doppelgänger in Miami.
- Removed Romeo pointing out the gang symbol on her arm and Jolyne saying it's just a tattoo she got while on vacation.
- Removed Romeo yelling that they hit a black goat and that the farms need to build their fences better.
- Removed Jolyne saying that they left tire tracks on the road and that there's paint and bits of Romeo's car all over the place.
- Removed Romeo saying that the rain will wash away the evidence.
- Removed Romeo saying that his college acceptance will get revoked and that his dad and family will suffer if he goes to jail.
- Removed Romeo comforting Jolyne after they hid the body in the trunk, saying that he'll take care of everything.
- Removed scene of the police arriving at Jolyne's house on November 2 at 8:43 PM to arrest her, as well as Jolyne's mother asking what is going on.
- Removed the police interrogating Jolyne and saying they found the car and a bottle with her fingerprints inside, as well as Jolyne demanding for a lawyer.
- Removed the lawyer telling Jolyne that the prosecutor is a college friend of his and that his friend is the one who approached him about the plea bargain deal.
- Removed the judge asking whether Jolyne has been coerced or pressured by anyone, and then clearing his throat after.
- Removed the lawyer telling Romeo that he'll send him the invoice later.
- Removed the scene of Jolyne trying to remove her straitjacket with her strings and struggling on the ground, one of the guards loosening the belts on Jolyne's straitjacket, and the other guard telling her that the room is specifically designed to make her straitjacket tighter due to the air conditioning drying out the room.
- Removed the guard telling the other one that they need to teach Jolyne a lesson by humiliating her, then stepping on Jolyne and taking off her straitjacket. In the anime, Jolyne removes the straitjacket herself.
- Removed Ermes seeing Jolyne stripping and teasing the guards.
- Removed the prison doctor examining Jolyne and poking her eyes to check for prosthetics or contacts.
- Removed the scene of Jolyne seeing a transgender patient who was injected with hormones and Jolyne being impressed that it's a new dawn for humanity.
- Added scene of Jolyne getting her mugshot taken so she has clothes on during the next scene when she sees the lawyer, whereas she is naked in the manga.
- Removed Loccobarocco asking the lawyer if he would like to see Jolyne and the lawyer saying he'll pass since he's done everything he can already.