Lisa Lisa (リサリサ Risa Risa), full name Elizabeth Joestar (エリザベス・ジョースター Erizabesu Jōsutā), is a primary ally featured in the second part of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, Battle Tendency, but introduced as a tertiary character in the first part, Phantom Blood.
Lisa Lisa is a Ripple master and mentor to Caesar Zeppeli and Joseph Joestar, residing in Venice but whose past is initially unknown. She leads the Ripple Users' efforts in battling the Pillar Men. Later, it is revealed that she is Joseph's mother.
She is also a primary ally in the light novels JORGE JOESTAR and rey infinito.
Lisa Lisa is a tall and fit woman. Beautiful and poised, she has light eyes and long, dark hair. Lisa Lisa's real age is 50, but her Ripple training has allowed her to appear as though she were still in her late 20s.
Her most known clothes were worn during the last fight with Kars. She wears earrings, a dark strapless dress with shorted-skirt, black pantyhose, a pair of high heels and a long, Ripple-conducting scarf. Occasionally she also wears a pair of aviator sunglasses.
In 1973, Lisa Lisa has long silver hair and continues wearing her scarf and high heels. At some point, she stopped concerning herself with upkeeping her appearance with the Ripple's anti-aging effects. However, she still aged naturally and beautifully according to J.D. Hernández.
Lisa Lisa is like any Ripple Master, a dignified and courageous woman, facing the Pillar Men without fear, and confidently confronts any challenge she encounters, especially in regards to fighting someone. Lisa Lisa takes some pride in her fighting ability, and tells Joseph that she doesn't need a youngster like him to win. Lisa Lisa is constantly portrayed as a brave woman, being able to bluff Kars into sparing her and Joseph when they are surrounded by vampires without letting any emotion transpire, and in the past, immediately killed the zombie who murdered her husband George II, forcing her to hide in Europe.
As the master of Caesar and Joseph, she skillfully employs harsh and apparently life-threatening training for her students, and is severe to Joseph, whose antics she doesn't tolerate during his training. Being the de facto leader of the Ripple Users, she is an authoritative leader and reminds everyone that their emotions are secondary to their goal of defeating the Pillar Men. After Caesar's death, Lisa Lisa tries to maintain an insensitive facade, telling Joseph to immediately focus on the fight. However, Joseph points out her loss of composure, upon which she breaks down in tears, illustrating her deep feelings for Caesar as a student and comrade.
Otherwise Lisa Lisa behaves like a normal if elegant woman. She managed to begin another life after her battle against the Pillar Men threat, notably marrying again and coming to live in the United States.
Lisa Lisa is a Ripple master, trained by Tonpetty's successor, Straizo.
Illustrating her talent and skill, she first appears standing on an oar on a surface of water, turning it into a high bar on charged pillars of water. It is mentioned during the events of the chariot arc that her Ripple is at least three times more powerful than Joseph's. Her ability for training others results in Caesar and Joseph's rapid growth into Ripple masters in their own rights.
Chapters / Episodes
- Chapter 43: Fire and Ice, Jonathan and Dio, Part 5
- Chapter 44: Fire and Ice, Jonathan and Dio, Part 6
- Chapter 45: Joseph Joestar of New York, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 47: Joseph Joestar of New York, Part 3 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 71: Ripple Teacher Lisa Lisa, Part 1
- Chapter 72: Ripple Teacher Lisa Lisa, Part 2
- Chapter 73: Ripple Teacher Lisa Lisa, Part 3
- Chapter 74: Ripple Teacher Lisa Lisa, Part 4
- Chapter 75: Ripple Teacher Lisa Lisa, Part 5
- Chapter 76: Ripple Teacher Lisa Lisa, Part 6
- Chapter 77: Go! Ripple Master (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 78: Flame Mode Esidisi, Part 1
- Chapter 79: Flame Mode Esidisi, Part 2 (Cover only)
- Chapter 80: Flame Mode Esidisi, Part 3 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 81: The Remains Lurk, Part 1
- Chapter 82: The Remains Lurk, Part 2
- Chapter 83: Stroheim's Unit Strikes Back, Part 1
- Chapter 84: Stroheim's Unit Strikes Back, Part 2
- Chapter 85: Stroheim's Unit Strikes Back, Part 3
- Chapter 86: Light Mode Kars, Part 1
- Chapter 87: Light Mode Kars, Part 2
- Chapter 88: Caesar: A Lonely Youth, Part 1
- Chapter 89: Caesar: A Lonely Youth, Part 2
- Chapter 90: Caesar: A Lonely Youth, Part 3
- Chapter 91: Caesar: A Lonely Youth, Part 4
- Chapter 92: Caesar: A Lonely Youth, Part 5
- Chapter 93: Caesar: A Lonely Youth, Part 6
- Chapter 94: Climb Out of the Fortified Hotel
- Chapter 95: The Wind, the Chariot, and Wamuu, Part 1
- Chapter 96: The Wind, the Chariot, and Wamuu, Part 2
- Chapter 97: The Wind, the Chariot, and Wamuu, Part 3
- Chapter 98: The Wind, the Chariot, and Wamuu, Part 4
- Chapter 99: The Wind, the Chariot, and Wamuu, Part 5
- Chapter 100: The Wind, the Chariot, and Wamuu, Part 6
- Chapter 101: The Wind, the Chariot, and Wamuu, Part 7
- Chapter 102: The Wind, the Chariot, and Wamuu, Part 8
- Chapter 103: The Wind, the Chariot, and Wamuu, Part 9
- Chapter 104: The Warrior Returns to the Wind
- Chapter 105: The Bond That Binds Lisa Lisa and JoJo, Part 1
- Chapter 106: The Bond That Binds Lisa Lisa and JoJo, Part 2
- Chapter 107: JoJo: The Final Ripple, Part 1
- Chapter 108: JoJo: The Final Ripple, Part 2
- Chapter 109: Kars the Superbeing Is Born, Part 1
- Chapter 110: Kars the Superbeing Is Born, Part 2
- Chapter 111: Joseph's Final Gamble
- Chapter 112: The Man Who Became a God (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 113: The Man Who Crossed the Atlantic
- Chapter 117: The Man with the Star Birthmark (Mentioned only)
- Episode 9: The Final Ripple!
- Episode 10: JoJo of New York (Mentioned only)
- Episode 16: Ripple Teacher Lisa Lisa
- Episode 17: Laying a Deeper Trap!
- Episode 18: Stroheim's Unit Strikes Back
- Episode 19: Race Toward the Cliff of Death
- Episode 20: Caesar: A Lonely Youth
- Episode 21: The Hundred vs. Two Strategy
- Episode 22: A True Warrior
- Episode 23: The Warrior Returns to the Wind
- Episode 24: The Bond That Binds JoJo
- Episode 25: The Birth of a Superbeing!!
- Episode 26: The Man Who Became a God
- SC Episode 1: A Man Possessed by an Evil Spirit (Mentioned only)
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 1: Tsukumojuku
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 3: Wounds
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 5: Box
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 7: Airplanes
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 9: Cliff
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 11: Gremlin
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 13: Enemy
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 14: Desolation Row (Mentioned only)
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 15: Beyond (Mentioned only)
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 16: Beyond II
- rey infinito - Guatemala Arc
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Chapter 3
- rey infinito - Peru Arc
- Chapter 4 (Cover only)
- Chapter 5
- Chapter 7 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 8 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 9 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 10
- Chapter 11
- “Hey the big guy on the left, I don't like your face. I'm gonna have to hurt you.”
- “I'm impressed you can move that well on water without training. But! You'll need to be able to face death to fully grow in a month!”
- “I'm not teaching you the Ripple to save your life. I'm teaching you to become warriors that can defeat the Pillar Men... that's all.”
- “A crude individual like you... I don't want to either talk to nor see. And if you want to "hug" me tight, give it a try... and be ready to die doing so!”
- “My life hasn't been so peaceful that I'd hide behind a kid who's not even in his twenties yet!”
- “My breathing gives me power, Jorge. I promise I'll protect you.”
Creation and Development
For the second part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Hirohiko Araki decided to have a female character play the part of the Ripple master. He wondered what it would be like for a female to follow up the Ripple master Will Anthonio Zeppeli from Phantom Blood. There also weren't "too many female characters" in the series at the time. Araki also thinks Lisa Lisa works well when paired with Joseph and Caesar.
Araki mentions that the first obstacle in designing Lisa Lisa was her name, saying, "Back then, if you picked a non-Japanese name for your character, it was a challenge to get the audience to remember it." Thus, "Lisa Lisa" was chosen. Araki believes that a repetitious name like "JoJo" would help, and that it phonetically resembles Japanese to some extent.
At the time of Battle Tendency's serialization, the females in other shonen manga were depicted as "a man's ideal girl": cute types who would giggle during conversations. Because of this, Araki felt that a warrior-type female like Lisa Lisa felt fresh. Lisa Lisa's personality was inspired by an incredibly smart girl in Araki's neighborhood who tutored him when he was in elementary school, since he felt intimidated by her. He also personally admits that he's fond of female characters who are capable of fighting for themselves. He commented on his intents to have Lisa Lisa portrayed with "uncommon realism" for women in shonen comics, but he was held back from going as far as he would have liked with her.
Finally, Araki states that in addition to functioning as a master people weren't used to seeing a woman fight. In battles, the one who is physically stronger would win, but Araki realized that if supernatural abilities were involved a woman can fight evenly with a strong male. "In other words," Araki says, "if the battle is between those with supernatural powers, physical appearance has nothing to do with strength."
- In a piece from the Hirohiko Araki JoJo Exhibition 2012, Lisa Lisa is erroneously depicted with a Star Birthmark, despite her not being a Joestar by blood.
- Rose from the Street Fighter series is based off of Lisa Lisa; Rose's outfit is almost identical to Lisa Lisa's and both share a similar fighting style that consists of channeling energy into their scarfs (Soul Power in the case of Rose and Ripple in the case of Lisa Lisa). Additionally, both characters like to take baths and Rose's stage in Street Fighter Alpha 2 is Venice, which is the same city where Joseph Joestar meets Lisa Lisa in the story.
- ↑ Lisa Lisa would be 84 in the Guatemala Arc as it takes place in April 1973. She would be 85 in the Peru Arc as it is in 1974.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Chapter 97: The Wind, the Chariot, and Wamuu, Part 3
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 JoJo 6251
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Chapter 113: The Man Who Crossed the Atlantic
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 rey infinito Chapter 1
- ↑ Chapter 105: The Bond That Binds Lisa Lisa and JoJo, Part 1
- ↑ Chapter 95: The Wind, the Chariot, and Wamuu, Part 1
- ↑ Chapter 108: JoJo: The Final Ripple, Part 2
- ↑ Chapter 72: Ripple Teacher Lisa Lisa, Part 2
- ↑ Chapter 73: Ripple Teacher Lisa Lisa, Part 3
- ↑ Chapter 93: Caesar: A Lonely Youth, Part 6
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 JoJonium Volume 5 (Lisa Lisa) - Special Interview
- ↑ Eureka (November 2007)
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epRNJVK5yNw#t=1m15s