Mista is a member of Bucciarati's team and by extension Passione, who follows Giorno and Bucciarati in their mission to protect the Boss's daughter, Trish Una. He is a gunman and Stand User who shoots down his opponents with the help of his Stand, Sex Pistols.
Mista is a teenager of above-average height and medium build. In contrast to the usual character design, Mista possesses large black irises. He wears uniquely shaped headgear with a diagonal grid pattern and the front shaped like an arrow pointing downward. He is known to keep a lot of things inside his hat, particularly ammunition, as he typically prefers to keep his hands free.
Mista's attire consists of a turtleneck crop top cashmere sweater with a design similar to his hat, zebra striped leather pants that he uses to store his gun, a thick belt, and boots (In his first apperance, in a few panels and illustrations he wore sandals, this was later changed to boots). Due to the quality of the material, he likely spends the most money on clothing out of Team Bucciarati.
Mista carries with him a short-barreled, snubnosed revolver resembling a Smith & Wesson model, essential to his fighting ability. The revolver is equipped with a hammer shroud, contains six bullets in the swing-out style cylinder and is used with hollow-point bullets. The revolver is consistently portrayed as being purple across adaptations.
Trish Una has commented that Mista has a significant amount of body hair, including hair on his fingers. She also mentions that he smells comforting, albeit unpleasant at first.
Easy-going and relaxed whenever the number "4" is not involved, Guido Mista is also a resolute gunslinger when in battle.
Mista comes off as a laid-back teenager, being one of the least serious members of Team Bucciarati, although not as childish as Narancia. His backstory describes him as a carefree individual, whose goal was to enjoy simple, daily, and worldly pleasures such as food or pretty girls. During idle times, Mista can often be seen reading books or magazines. His simplicity would be mistaken as idiocy by those that did not know him well, when, in reality, he'd rather not trouble himself by thinking of complicated matters. Mista is also one of the most sociable members of the group, regularly seen bringing random conversation subjects out of nowhere, such as asking if vegetarians would wear leather-based clothing, or if human flesh would taste bad as a result of a natural diet that includes meat.
While Mista may act nonchalant, he is one of the most uncivil and violent members of the cast. He often commits violent acts without hesitation, having a history of getting into fights that he would sometimes lose, for the petty reason that someone had badmouthed his favorite movie star. He displays a total willingness to commit outright torture or murder with a casual approach; he hooked Zucchero's eyelid to a fishing line and threatened to burn his retina with the sun, had no hesitation in shooting Sale in the head on sight and leaving him for dead, and threatened to execute Pesci if he didn't answer a question on the count of two. Other such acts include readily sabotaging Narancia's new stereo because the music annoyed him or knocking out a truck driver unwittingly transporting Team Bucciarati when the driver threatened them being discovered. He has also been shown to be very ill-mannered at times, using coarse language and often taunting his enemies when he has the upper hand in battle. He occasionally ogles Trish during his bodyguarding mission and gets Fugo to look at her as well, despite the imagined risks of the Boss finding out.
However, Mista is still a decent individual at heart. He jumped to the rescue of an assaulted woman without hesitation and while he acts rough with civilians, he doesn't endanger them as his enemies do, showing genuine shock at the destruction Green Day causes.
Mista shows a great deal of confidence in his ability, stating that his Stand Sex Pistols is suited for assassination. He often insists on his achievements, first when reminding Fugo that he defeated Sale alone and secured the group's coming to Capri, and later getting upset that Giorno would doubt his swift "victory" against Carne, thinking that he was just that good. However, in the Sleeping Slaves arc, if it came down to needing to save Bucciarati and then being confronted with a problem he cannot solve, Mista would readily beg Scolippi for advice. He also knows better than anyone the limits of his gun and Stand.
In contrast to his usually easy-going attitude, Mista becomes noticeably more serious and proactive when in battle. Connecting with his habit of not overthinking things, Mista is a supporter of taking initiative and often advocates for directly confronting his enemies, sometimes to the point of rushing too rapidly to battle. With his direct attitude and a gun-related ability, Mista takes a very straightforward approach to battle, usually aiming for an immediate kill. Nonetheless, most enemies he's faced have had abilities countering bullets to some degree, forcing him to display more ingenuity to fight. Despite his obvious recklessness, Mista displays method in his battles. He regularly applies tactical insight, having accurately deduced Sale's most probable actions during his short hunt, or making an effort to try and find an enemy's weak point, such as finding White Album's airhole, or trying to attack Secco the moment he emerged from the ground.
Moreover, Mista shows great calmness in battle, managing to keep his nerve most of the time despite wounds or even the threat of death. The most notable example of his resolve is when he engages in a direct shootout with Ghiaccio despite the reflected bullets tearing through his body. If given the choice, Mista has no problem coming up with life-threatening moves such as willingly let Ghiaccio hit him to blind the assassin with his own blood, or throwing himself off a building with Rolling Stones in his hand. That calmness has its limits, however, as he started to panic during the final encounter with the Boss.
Mista's most noticeable quirk of character is his severe tetraphobia: fear of the number 4. If it is mentioned or visible, he will immediately become anxious and paranoid, visibly sweating. Additionally, his Stand, Sex Pistols has bullets labeled 1-7, with 4 omitted. He occasionally displays other superstitious beliefs, for instance saying that urinating close to precious jewels would bring bad karma, or wondering if Giorno is a "lucky boy" that brings fortune to the group. Mista is also stated to believe in God to a fundamental level; whenever he's in danger, he always has thoughts along the line of "I'll certainly be saved!" or "It will definitely pass over!". This, however, is never demonstrated in the manga aside from his character profile.
While Mista is friendly with every member of his group, he has a privileged relationship with Bucciarati or Giorno. Like all members of Team Bucciarati, Mista looks up to Bucciarati in all aspects and has ironclad confidence in him, even trusting Bucciarati to overthrow the Boss of Passione not long after the latter had announced his betrayal. In parallel to his admiration for Bucciarati, Mista builds a partnership with Giorno, being one of the first to realize his talents. In time, Giorno would become perhaps the closest member of the team to Mista, with the two eventually creating a fruitful combination in battle.
Mista's Stand Sex Pistols allows him to redirect bullets shot from his personal revolver.
Even without his Stand, Mista is a gifted sharpshooter. His uncanny precision with a revolver, supported by his ability to keep his cool even in the middle of a gunfight, makes him a particularly deadly individual and assassin.
- Giorno Giovanna: Mista is one of the initially nicer people to Giorno in the gang when he first joins and is quick to grow to him after seeing him in action. Mista is the second to realize Giorno's ability to guide others without their knowledge, viewing him as a source of hope. The two frequently team up together and place a lot of faith in each other's abilities, at one point combining their Stand powers in a moment of doubt to capture a helicopter. By the end of the story, Mista and Giorno are the surviving members of the team, and perhaps closer friends than the rest, continuing to work together in the gang when Giorno takes over as boss with Mista as his subordinate.
- Bruno Bucciarati: Bucciarati first heard of Mista when he was being prosecuted. Seeing that Mista had the necessary willpower and honor, Bucciarati pulled some strings to have him freed from prison and admitted into Passione. Ever since then, Mista has shown a great admiration for him and an immense trust in Bucciarati's judgement, staying loyal to him even after he betrays the organization, to the point of joining him in said betrayal. Bucciarati trusts Mista as a valuable fighter, while Mista respects Bucciarati's ability as a team leader.
- Narancia Ghirga: As both of the least serious members of Bucciarati's team, Mista and Narancia are good friends, with Narancia being probably the third closest person to Mista in the gang. As a result of this, they often engage in conversations about random topics and are many times the main perpetrators of the team's antics, namely their synchronized dance when torturing Zucchero, or beating an innocent bystander they mistook for an enemy gangster. How much Mista cared about Narancia is seen when Narancia falls victim to Diavolo's King Crimson, with Mista crying the hardest out of all other members present there.
- Trish Una: Initially, Mista saw Trish as nothing more than the Boss' daughter, and despite her having such status, didn't hesitate to ogle at her and even jokingly plead for her to spare Fugo from her father for accidentally bumping into her in a car. Eventually, due to Chariot Requiem's effects, the two's souls exchange bodies and Trish spares no time to criticize Mista's body, particularly his hygiene, while he carelessly acts barbaric in her body. Later on, the two seem to have grown on each other, with Trish calling Mista's scent "nostalgic", and the two even joking with each other not long after.
- Pannacotta Fugo: Even though Fugo is a more down to earth person when compared to the superstitious and sometimes exaggerated Mista, they seem to get along quite well, with Fugo taking part in Narancia and Mista's antics and Mista joking about Fugo staring at Trish's breasts. Despite their friendship, Mista didn't express any reaction after the second-in-command abandons the gang.
- Leone Abbacchio: Due to their contrasting personalities, Mista and Abbacchio don't interact much, but are friends nonetheless, with Abbacchio taking part in Narancia and Mista's silly discussions despite his logical approach to them and Mista noticing when Abbacchio urinated into a teacup and gave it to Giorno and laughing not soon after he drank it. After his death, Mista appears to be hurt by it and visibly tries not to overemote.
Chapters / Episodes
- “There are four cakes! Are they telling me to go die or something?”
- “It's bad luck to take something from four things! It's fine if you're choosing from five! It's also fine if you're choosing from three! But if you choose something from four things, something bad'll happen.”
- “Which one do you want me to use? The glasses, or the fishing line? We're gonna make you answer some questions. If you don't, we're gonna be trouble! Lots of danger ahead, you understand. So, "Mr" Zucchero. You've got a partner, right? He's probably a Stand User too, huh? What's why I'm going to have to have to use these? You don't want to answer me? Not even about which one I should use? Well, if you're not going to choose... I'm gonna use both! Whoops!”
- “My Stand's suited for assassinations. I'm good at that stuff.”
- “There's only one way out! We'll end it right here, right now. Time to bust a cap in his mouth!”
- “Assassination's the surer bet as long as we're using my Sex Pistols.”
- “Whether you answer me or not, I got one simple question to ask you, just one. And if you don't answer me in two seconds, I'm gonna put a bullet in each of your eyeballs. One, two. I won't wait any more than that! If you don't feel chatty, then I'll just figure out the answer myself! Understand? Okay, here we go. Where's your buddy hiding? Uno! Due! Now die! Ready to meet your maker?”
- “I don't like your idea of victory! We'll send this guy to Hell, find the thing, and the both of us will make it safe and sound! That's what victory is, are we clear, Giorno!?”
- “You asked me... if that was all the resolve I had left... right? Well it wasn't. No, it fucking wasn't... You're about to find out. But you'd better show some resolve of your own! You'll need it 'cause it's gonna be a long ride all the way down to Hell!”
- “Brute force is our only option! It's time for my resolve to shine! Pistols! You guys better get your asses in gear, too!”
- “Aahhh!! Giorno! Not so rough! No, not there! Nonono!! Oh! Be gentle! Gentle! Don't strip me! I can feel you! Ohh! No! No more!”
- “If you wanna knock bullets around, that's my Sex Pistols' specialty!”
- “Go, Pistols! Blast those bullets through his skull!”
- “Hey!! What is this!? Why the fuck are they here!? N... No, wait! It's all gone! That's even worse! I'm missing something real important here! Hey, Giorno! Why's there blood all over your hands anyway!?”
- “This is your fault for wearing underwear that lifts up your butt! It's too tight and uncomfortable! Your bra's riding up, too!”
- “Drop one more bullet now, Trish! Don't you see those four bullets on the ground!? I've said this before! I can't have four... I can't let the number four be around me, ever... If those fell when you were handing them to me... you need to drop one more...”
- “P... Polnareff, you piece of shit! It's because you brought the Arrow... Th... The power to defeat the boss!? Yeah, right! All you've done is tie a knot around all our necks!”
- “Any closer and I'll blow your arms and legs apart!”
- “Your Gold Experience evolved through the Arrow! I really didn't see it or understand what it just did, but either way...! The boss's King Crimson was helpless against it! You've finally defeated him!”
- “Hey guys, hey guys! Just listen to me here! I was thinking about this last night. So, human flesh... If you ate it, would it taste good, or would it taste bad?”
- “Just listen to me! I've been thinking real hard about eating... 'cause whether or not you're living a happy life depends on it. That's why I think this is important. So, anyway! There are animals that eat meat to survive, right? Like lions, and cats, and bald eagles... But you can never order the meat of these carnivores at restaurants. Why? It's because they smell too nasty to eat! They taste horrible! Yeah? Guys? Cats taste too nasty to eat. You with me? On the other hand, you guys heard of sweetfish? Sweetfish don't eat bugs. They're herbivores. They only eat algae. Normally, fish guts are all bitter and gross. But if it's sweetfish, then you can even eat the guts just fine. 'Cause it's not a carnivore. So, I thought about it, and it turns out all the meat we like to eat is herbivore meat. Beef, pork, chicken! Give 'em good grass, and they taste even better. So, the conclusion! Humans eat meat, so they taste gross! Well? What do you think of my idea? Those horror novels and stuff all tell you how good human flesh tastes, but it's all made up!”
- In Hirohiko Araki's Top Ten Favorite Characters in the year 2000, Mista ranked as seventh, being the fourth Part 5 character on the list behind Bucciarati, Giorno, and Diavolo.
- Mista's tetraphobia ties into a cultural belief in much of East Asia, including Japan, that the number four is one of misfortune; this belief originates from the words for "four" and "death" being homophones in the languages of these parts of Asia. This extends even to his Stand power, Sex Pistols, which will encourage Mista not to shoot his gun when his cartridge only contains 4 bullets.
- According to Araki, it's suspected that Mista's zebra striped leather pants breaks the Washington Convention, an international treaty for protecting endangered plants and animals.
- In a 2019 interview with VIZ Media, Araki stated that Mista was his favorite character to draw in Part 5. He likes how Mista's Stand fires from his pistols, and also likes that Mista is a positive person who accepts himself without any doubts.