Mariah is one of the Egypt 9 Glory Gods. She separates the group in Luxor, and attempts to take out Joseph Joestar and Muhammad Avdol using her Stand, Bastet, while Alessi confronts the rest of the heroes.
Mariah is an extremely attractive, long-legged woman with dark skin and short, light-colored hair. Her main attire consists of a miniskirt and hood, along with gloves, dark pantyhose, bow-knotted leather shoes and sunglasses on her head. Despite her revealing outfit, she conceals an impressive arsenal of bolts, screws, knives and other metal objects to throw at her magnetized victims. Her design in the anime shows off her midriff contrary to the manga.
Mariah is one of the few characters shown to smoke.
Mariah comes off as a calm, cool-headed person. Like most Stand Users, Mariah has great confidence in her Bastet, notably in that everyone will eventually succumb to him given time. However, she easily loses her cool whenever things don't go according to plan; in such cases, she's been shown to contort her face and bites her lip comically out of frustration and anger. Mariah is quite devious and has worked many ways in which she could render her power truly dangerous. Mariah keeps on her many metallic objects, from nuts and bolts to metallic wires, to use them as projectiles in a pinch or exploit the magnetism to tie up her targets into dangerous machinery. She's also adept at baiting her targets to dangerous locations such as train tracks or places under power lines so that she could expose them to deadly hazards.
Mariah has a bit of a sleazy streak. On occasions, she likes to talk suggestively, saying for instance that "You always want to touch what's off-limits". The few relationships she talks about have also centered on the men's appearance, revealing that she's also superficial. She notably complimented Joseph Joestar and confessed that she found him very attractive for a man his age and that, if he was a few decades younger, they would have been a great couple; she nonetheless tried to kill him without second thoughts because it would please DIO, whom she considered much more attractive.
She also has a very distinctive "Oho ho ho ho ho!" laugh, which she does when she has her opponents helplessly trapped in the magnetic power of her Stand.
- Main article: Bastet
Bastet takes the form of an electrical outlet which magnetizes whoever touches it, causing metallic objects to be attracted to them.
Along with the other Egypt 9 Glory Gods, Mariah is deployed by DIO once the heroes reach Egypt to assassinate them. In Luxor, Mariah places her Bastet on a rock while Joseph is isolated in the toilets. Once he gets outs, he notices Bastet and thinking that it is a mere strangely placed electrical outlet, tries to touch it, only to be shocked. Joseph is now magnetized and metallic objects begin to be attracted to him.
The next morning, Mariah stays in the hotel where the Joestar Group is in to keep the effect of the magnetism on. Joseph eventually realizes his condition but is alone. She ambushes Joseph on an escalator and uses metallic wires to entangle Joseph's hands to the machinery of the elevator, threatening to crush his hands. In doing so, she reveals her identity. When Muhammad Avdol comes to deactivate the escalator, Mariah has already placed Bastet near the stop button, also shocking Avdol. Joseph spots Mariah hiding behind a pillar and they begin to pursue her into the women's bathroom and then the streets, giving Avdol's magnetism to grow. Thus, Joseph and Avdol are stuck together.
Mariah disappears and waits for Joseph and Avdol to find her. After trying to separate themselves, Joseph and Avdol accidentally roll down a slope where Mariah awaits them. She baits them into stepping on metal train tracks, just as a train approaches. When the train passes, Mariah assumes that she's won but she then discovers that Avdol has dug a hole underneath the train, frustrating her to no end. Magician's Red melts the train, allowing the pair to confront her. Joseph ties Mariah's neck with Hermit Purple and tries to choke her but she reveals that she's stuffed her bra with nuts and bolts which are attracted towards Joseph and Avdol. They have to protect themselves from the hail of projectiles coming onto them, allowing Mariah to slip away once again. However, Joseph devises a strategy.
After separating themselves again, Joseph and Avdol begin to chase Mariah through the streets of Luxor and split up to surround her thanks to a map created by Hermit Purple. On their way, they gather many metallic objects that are stuck to them. However, Mariah then reveals that she's baited them near power lines. Throwing a knife, she cuts the lines which are then attracted to the pair. Although Avdol's Magician' s Red can melt the cables, his magnetism gets so strong a truck flies at him and threaten to crash him. For his part, Joseph has a hard time keeping the cables away. Confident in her victory, Mariah reveals that she finds Joseph attractive for a man his age, leading Joseph to beg her for mercy. However, Mariah refuses as DIO is more attractive than Joseph for her.
However, Joseph has accounted for the whole battle and unveils his stratagem. He lets go the pavement and lets himself fly toward Avdol. The mass of metal violently closes on Mariah, taking her out and according to Avdol, breaking a few bones. Mariah is retired.
Chapters / Episodes
- “You always want to touch what's off-limits. (触れてはいけない物というのは 触れてしまいたくなるものねFurete wa ikenai mono to iu no wa furete shimaitaku naru mono ne)”
- “No one gets away. Once you've touched the magnetic energy of my Stand, the goddess Bastet, there's no escape...”
- “Wh... Why you dirty old cheat!”
- “Think you outsmarted me, eh?! You sons of bitches!”
- “Look at you and your dirty mind! Sorry to disappoint you but my breasts aren't growing...it's your magnetism getting stronger! I confess...I stuffed my bra...with weapons!”
- “Your magnetic force will keep growing... until your bodies crush each other.”
- “Nowhere to run? Me? You don't get it, do you? You didn't realize I led you here! You thought you were hunting me? Look up! High voltage powerlines!”
- “Don't you know? Powerlines are attracted to magnets! You're going to fry, Joestar!”
- “You lie there, Joseph Joestar! The powerlines will make it quick!”
- “Joseph Joestar. I'll tell you this because you're going to die. You're very dreamy for a man your age. I only knew you for about ten minutes or so but you were so smart and funny. And soooo clever! You have the experience that younger men don't. You're really quite charming. We're decades apart, but I think we would have made a good couple.”
Mariah is one of the boss enemies in the game. The events from her arc appear in the game with one differing detail—instead of fighting alone and confined to Joseph and Avdol, Mariah attacks the whole group alongside Hol Horse.
Mariah makes her playable debut on the Capcom game, being included in the second version of the game. She appears as a playable character with a style based on ranged traps.
Her game style is focused on middle-long range, keeping the enemy away with her moveset. Even without an active Stand, her Bast no Jiryoku, when activated, instead of summoning Bast, will place a magnetism-trap on the screen (always near her). If the opponent gets hit by this trap, their "magnetism" level will rise one level (with 8 being the maximum), making all Mariah's attacks stronger. She's one of the only characters in the game to fight at middle-long range, the other being Hol Horse.
Most of her moves are based on the objects she uses in the fight against Joseph and Avdol, such as knives, forks and electrifying energy cables. During her first super move, she uses the magnetism on the opponent to attract the screws, nuts, and bolts hidden in her bra and damages the enemy. During her second super move, she performs a rising uppercut on the opponent, launching them into the air and attracting a lot of metal objects, causing massive damage. It ends with a car smashing the opponent (the same car that defeated her in the story).
Along with Midler, Mariah is one of the only two playable female characters in the game. Mariah is also one of the special characters in the game that do not turn into a child when hit by Alessi's Stand; instead she turns into the old woman that Joseph encounters during his and Avdol's battle against Mariah.
Mariah is one of several characters from Part 3 to possess a Metal Striker. Her FINISH MOVE makes several metal items (such as hammers and screws) attack the opponent, followed by a giant car coming in to crush them (not unlike her method of special attack in the Capcom fighting game).
Mariah was confirmed for the game alongside Avdol.
As a Stand User, Mariah is one of many characters with wildly varied abilities that grant her uniqueness in battle. Instead of the conventional Normal Attacks that take the form of melee combos, Mariah will throw out a metal wire that paralyzes opponents.
- Style Action - You always want to touch the things you're told not to.: Mariah places Bastet in front of her, either on the floor or on a wall as a trap. Opponents that come in contact with Bastet are inflicted with its magnetism. A Magnetic Gauge displays which of the two opponents have been magnetized, and the current level of the magnetism's strength on them. Beginning at "Lv 1", the Magnetic Gauge eventually progresses to "Lv 2", then "Lv MAX".
- The magnetic force will just keep on increasing...: If both opponents are magnetized and within range of each other, they will increase the rate at which their Magnetic Gauges fill. If they come in contact with each other, they will both be stunned and left open to further attack.
- Until it crushes your body...: While the magnetism is in effect, metal objects will frequently come out of nowhere and attack affected opponents as projectiles. Once an object hits an opponent, it will stick, reducing their movement speed. As the Magnetic Gauge fills, the size and strength of the metal objects increase depending on the level, as well as their ability to slow the targets. At Lv 1, nuts and bolts will appear; At Lv 2, bicycles will appear; At Lv MAX, cars will appear.
- What are you drooling over?: Mariah fires nuts and bolts from her shirt in a wide cone. Opponents hit will be sent flying. While an opponent is magnetized, the projectiles will home in on and follow them closely.
- Unfortunately, you have to die.: Mariah throws three knives straight forward, or at a downward angle if the skill performed in mid-air. If she is locked on, she will throw them straight at her target. While an opponent is magnetized, the knives will home in on and follow them closely.
- EX - What are you drooling over?: Mariah is invincible during the skill's execution.
- EX - Unfortunately, you have to die.: Mariah throws five knives.
- Dual Heat Attack - You little turds!: Mariah inflicts Bastet's magnetization on the opponent by summoning it at their feet. Standing up, she unleashes the nuts and bolts from her shirt in a projectile attack that knocks them off-balance. Mariah taunts the opponent, before a car seemingly comes out of nowhere, flies at them from above, and crushes them. It then explodes as Mariah guffaws.
- You always want to touch the things you're told not to.: Mariah must connect her Style Action 3 times. (200 Points)
- This is what's inside my pocket.: Mariah must perform a combo with at least 30 hits. (200 points)
- Heh heh heh... You won't be able to move for much longer now.: Mariah must retain a magnetization effect for 20 counts of the battle timer. (300 Points)
- I'll never let you catch me!: Mariah must survive the first 20 counts of the battle timer without taking damage. (500 Points)
- You looked pretty handsome out there.: Mariah must Retire an opponent with a Dual Heat Attack. (800 Points)
She is paired with Esidisi in the Eyes of Heaven Tournament, defeating Rudol von Stroheim and Okuyasu Nijimura in the first round, and then Narancia Ghirga and Diego Brando in the second. In the semifinals, they are eliminated by Jotaro Kujo and DIO in the first round.
JoJo's Pitter-Patter Pop! (Android/iOS)
- In the manga, Mariah's name was originally spelled as Maraiya (マライヤ) in the WSJ publication of Part 3.
- In the English dub of SC Episode 29, Mariah is incorrectly mentioned as being of Egyptian citizenship.