Joseph Joestar ★ Video Games
A summary of Joseph Joestar's history and movesets in video games.
- Heritage for the Future
- All Star Battle
- Eyes of Heaven
- Diamond Records
- Pitter-Patter Pop
- Jump Titles
- Miscellaneous Games
Older Joseph's Part 3 incarnation is a playable character in the game, titled "Joseph Joestar". Joseph uses both his Stand and Ripple as part of his moveset, such as the Overdrive. Most of Joseph's moves allow him to use Hermit Purple to grab the opponent from afar and send his Ripple through it to damage the enemy. Joseph's classic running away animation appears as his backward running and his special move is an uppercut that goes into an Ripple combo punch where Joseph whispers Lisa Lisa's name (with the background adding in various panels of her). His other special move involves grabbing the opponent with Hermit Purple and transferring all of his Ripple energy to damage the opponent heavily. Hermit Purple is also utilized in a counter attack (much like he did against DIO in the final battle of Part 3).
Many of his movesets also give him the role of a grappler, complete with 360 and 720 joystick grapple moves, whether upclose or afar, but these are overshadowed by his attack versatility and melee range with his Stand on. Another noteworthy thing is that if the AI does the 360 or 720 grapple moves, they deal double damage, while the playable version deals only half of that.
Joseph "JoJo" Joestar
Joseph also has his Part 2 incarnation, named Proud Lineage Joseph (誇り高き血統ジョセフ) or simply "JoJo" in the English localization, as an unlockable secret character. In this form, Joseph's main attack is his Clacker Volleys, where he uses it as a pair of nunchucks and boomerangs. His first special move is similar to his Part 3 counterpart though instead of whispering Lisa Lisa's name he screams Caesar's.
His other special move uses the Red Stone of Aja; by charging it with his Ripple the stone will shoot a powerful Ripple beam (similar to what Kars and Lisa Lisa did it during the events of Part 2) that will set opponents on fire. Some characters can duck under the beam, while characters like DIO and Joseph himself will still be hit while crouching.
"JoJo" can also use a crossbow to shoot an iron pellet across the screen to hit the enemy from the other side as well as a bottle cap from a coke bottle as a projectile, all of which are attacks that originated from the manga.
"JoJo" can also be 'activated' if Old Joseph is hit with Alessi's Stand, though temporarily, and missing a majority of his moveset other than kicks and punches. If "JoJo" is hit by Alessi, he will appear as his 13-year old self from the flashback with Speedwagon, and uses a weaker Ripple attack while flipping through a comic book.
His Story Mode in JoJo's Venture has him simply face off enemies until reaching Shadow Dio, with no storyline involved. In Heritage for the Future, it becomes a what-if sidestory if Joseph encounters Alessi, turning into his Battle Tendency incarnation, and fighting some allies in the process, before facing off Alessi himself and reverting to his normal form, albeit with a little regret of becoming old again.
Joseph turns into an even younger Joseph holding a Superman comic if hit again by Alessi.
Joseph was one of the first confirmed characters to be in the game (along with Jotaro, Wamuu and Gyro), and appears as two different characters. This marks him as one of the only three characters with two incarnations, the others being Dio and Yoshikage Kira.
As a "Ripple"-user character (along with Jonathan, Will, Caesar, Lisa Lisa, and his Part 3 self), Joseph can recharge his Heart Heat Gauge through "Ripple Breath" by holding down the Style button, performing a famous JoJo pose, as well as deliver enhanced versions of skills if Style is inputted in place of normal attack buttons. Joseph has 1000 HP.
During a fight, Joseph can use several different attacks that were featured in Battle Tendency.
Part 3 Joseph also appears in the game as a DLC character, named simply named "Old Joseph" to differentiate himself to his younger counterpart.
Most of his attacks are similar to those from the Capcom game (Heritage for the Future). As one of the mass majority of playable characters in the game with the "Stand" Style, Old Joseph can turn Hermit Purple on/off, changing movesets, although he does not have access to the Stand Rush ability returning from the Capcom game. Old Joseph has 950 HP.
Old Joseph possesses two alternate costumes, one is based off his early appearance in Part 3 (wearing the long jacket he had on while visiting Jotaro in jail) and the second is based off one of the manga covers, where his hair is blonde and he does not wear a hat (erroneously, he still uses various animations regarding the adjustment of his hat, even though he is without it while in this costume).
As a Ripple User, Joseph has a Ripple Gauge that determines the strength of his attacks. Filling up the gauge will automatically empower his Normal and Powerful Attacks, and enhance/alter the properties of all his skills. It will also shorten the cooldown time on said skills. Using skills will drain a portion of the Ripple Gauge until there's an insufficient amount to use.
- Style Action - Ripple Breathing: Joseph performs a pose and Ripple Breathes, filling up the Ripple Gauge. He cannot move and is vulnerable to attacks while doing so.
- Ripple!: Joseph uses the Ripple to instantly block attacks using the Stamina Gauge in place of his guard durability, and is capable of deflecting projectiles from the front. The skill will last as long as the inputted button is held, or until the Stamina Gauge empties. If Ripple-enhanced, the angle of the guard at which projectiles can be deflected is increased.
- Clacker Boomerang/Clacker Volley: The attack unleashed is dependent on whether or not the activating button is held. If pressed, Joseph throws a Ripple-infused Clacker as a projectile, which returns to him after flying a set distance, doing more damage the more of the Ripple Gauge is filled. If held, Joseph pulls out two Clackers and begins a three-step combo that ends with him swinging a Clacker downward, sending opponents caught into the ground hard enough for them to bounce.
- I'm so outta here!: Joseph performs a special dash with his signature run. If he is locked on to something when the skill is performed, Joseph will automatically run in the direction opposite to it, otherwise he will simply run forward. He is invincible until he actually starts moving. If Ripple-enhanced, the skill's invincibility length and distance is increased.
- A Weapon with Overwhelming Advantages!: Exclusive to Joseph are a variety of special Items that he can use in combat. He can hold up to three different Items at any time, and can find more in suitcases strewn about the stage. An Item Icon displays how many and which Items are currently in Joseph's possession. The suitcases can be picked up and thrown by opponents in order to prevent him from obtaining Items.
- Tequila: Joseph can hold 2 charges; He uses the Ripple to pop a bottle of tequila open, hitting the opponent with the cap and knocking them into the air. If an opponent is in range, a coconut will fall out of nowhere and onto their heads, leaving them crumpling and open to further attacks. Joseph is invincible up until the attack activates. If Ripple-enhanced, the length of invincibility and damage dealt is increased.
- Tommy Gun: Joseph can hold 10 charges; He instantly pulls a Tommy Gun out from behind him to shoot opponents with volleys of bullets. Every 7 bullets consumes a charge, allowing Joseph to continuously fire anywhere from 7 up to 63 bullets in a single attack.
- This'll Blow You Away!: If Joseph inputs the attack a second time during "Tommy Gun", or if he only has one charge left, this attack will occur and use up any remaining charges; Joseph knocks an opponent into the air with the butt of the gun and transfers a blast of the Ripple into them using a few more bullets. The damage of the attack is dependent on how many charges used to effect it. If Ripple-enhanced, the damage dealt is increased.
- Sledgehammer: Joseph can hold 3 charges; He pulls out a sledgehammer to smash opponents with in a large overhead swing. The shockwave created spreads out and downs any opponent in range. If Ripple-enhanced, the attack becomes unblockable, and the shockwave deals more damage and spreads out even farther.
- Hand Grenade: Joseph can hold 2 charges; He lunges forward before dashing backwards. If he connects with any opponent, he will attach a bundle of grenades onto them, The resulting explosion can occur automatically after a set amount of time or manually activated if the activating button is pressed again, damaging anyone caught in radius. It will also set the target on fire and knock them into the air. If Ripple-enhanced, Joseph gains invincibility when attaching the grenades and the damage dealt is increased.
- Iron Ball Crossbow: Joseph can hold 3 charges; He loads a large crossbow and fires it, sending opponents flying with the heavy iron ball. If Ripple-enhanced, the ball is able to ricochet off a wall once. If Joseph is locked on, the ball will ricochet towards his target, otherwise flying towards the nearest opponent.
- 100% Wool Hat: Joseph can hold a single charge; He runs forward, leaving a trail of Ripple-infused wool string behind as a long, narrow trap. The string will remain for a considerable amount of time until an opponent steps on it; Opponents that touch the string are stunned and left open to further attacks. However, this will damage the string and cause it to undo itself. Joseph is able to salvage it by simply standing over it and inputting the activating input once more before it completely disappears. However, with the amount of time given to him to do so, Joseph must choose between attacking opponents caught by the trap or retrieving the string. If Ripple-enhanced, the trap remains in place for longer and Joseph is able to place a longer strand.
- EX - Clacker Boomerang/Clacker Volley: The Clacker Boomerang will receive a damage increase and guard break boost; Clacker Volley also gains a guard break boost, as well as an increase in execution speed.
- EX - A Weapon with Overwhelming Advantages!: All Items receive an increase to damage dealt, and additional damage will be added depending on how much of the Ripple Gauge is filled.
- Time to unleash my killer Clacker Volley!: Joseph must connect "Clacker Volley" . (200 Points)
- You think those chintzy Ripple powers are the only thing I've got in my repertoire?: Joseph must use "A Weapon with Overwhelming Advantages!" 3 times. (200 Points)
- I did it!: Joseph must turn a stage object into a trap 3 times. (300 Points)
- Grazie! Loggins!: Joseph must use any Ripple-enhanced skill five times. Any skill will count as long as he lands five of that same skill. (500 Points)
- This JoJo can predict anything!: Joseph must Retire an opponent with a Dual Heat Attack. (800 Points)
Dual Heat Attacks
- Solo - Ain't nothing the trickster loves more than a trick!: It works the same as the one from All Star Battle.
- With Caesar - Dual Ripple!: The two start off by attacking the opponent from opposite sides with a series of Ripple-charged punches and kicks from Joseph and an array of Ripple-infused bubbles from Caesar, before Joseph invites Caesar to initiate the Positive/Negative Overdrive they used on Suzi Q to save her from from Esidisi's control, attacking the enemy from both sides with said move and shocking them with extreme power.
- With Lisa Lisa - This master and student's beat will cut you deep!: Running up to the opponent, Lisa Lisa strikes with multiple Ripple-powered kicks and a scarf swing, before Joseph ties up the opponent with a rope he had laid during her assault. They then channel a Ripple surge into the Red Stone of Aja, causing it to launch a deadly beam at the helpless opponent.
If Caesar is paired with Joseph and falls in battle, a special animation will play where they recreate the scene involving Caesar's final words and creation of the blood bubble (which pops in an anti-climactic fashion shortly after conception), along with Joseph's iconic "CAESAAAR!!!" scream as tears stream down his face.
In Story Mode, Joseph uses a model that doesn't have Caeser's bandana. However, in other modes he will have Caeser's bandana on.
Joseph gained a new alternate costume based on his disguise as a woman in Chapter 56. In this costume, Joseph performs his "feminine" speech from Episode 12 of the anime in various lines; interactions with other characters will also be altered, such as Caesar trying to not laugh towards Joseph, and Jolyne Cujoh criticizing his poor disguise.
Part 3 Joseph (Simply called "Old Joseph") was also confirmed for the game as a non-DLC character, alongside Iggy, N'Doul and Dio Brando (Part 1).
Old Joseph is both a Ripple User and a Stand User. He has a Ripple Gauge that determines the strength of his attacks. Filling up the gauge will automatically empower his Normal and Powerful Attacks, and enhance/alter the properties of various skills. It will also shorten the cooldown time on all skills. Using skills pertaining to Old Joseph's use of the Ripple will drain a portion of the Ripple Gauge until there's an insufficient amount to use.
- Style Action - Hermit Purple: This Style Action is only available when Old Joseph's stamina is full. He creates a map on the ground using Hermit Purple. Doing so will power up his partner, granting them increased attack strength after they Combo Break, but will not increase the strength of a DHA. This skill also reveals otherwise hidden traps around the stage, such as a trapped object or anything that would be invisible to Old Joseph such as Kakyoin's Barriers. The skill will deactivate when Old Joseph's stamina empties, and can be manually deactivated at any time with another press of the Style Action button. While it can also be in effect at the same time as "Shrewd Old Man", having both active will drain the stamina gauge twice as fast.
- Ripple Breathing: Old Joseph performs a pose and Ripple Breathes, filling up the Ripple Gauge. He cannot move and is vulnerable to attacks while doing so.
- Shrewd Old Man: Old Joseph wraps Hermit Purple charged with Ripple around his torso. While this move is in effect, the next attack dealt to Joseph by an opponent will cause Hermit Purple to burst out of his shirt, damaging them and causing them to flinch if they are close enough, leaving them open to counterattack. The effect can be countered by projectiles and other non-close-ranged attacks, as well as DHA. While in effect, Joseph's stamina gauge will drain until empty, and though the skill can also be in effect at the same time as "Hermit Purple", having both active will drain the stamina gauge twice as fast. If Ripple-enhanced, this skill does more damage depending on how much the Ripple Gauge has been filled.
- Hermit Purple!: Old Joseph sends Hermit Purple out to strike opponents from mid-range. This skill has two follow-ups that are dependent on the input entered.
- Bet you never thought my Stand could be used like this!: The opponent is bound and pulled towards Old Joseph before he swings them in a circle and throws them in the direction the movement stick is held.
- Solar Energy Ripple!: Hermit Purple wraps around the opponent as Old Joseph sends heavy Ripple pulses through it before blasting them away, dealing more damage if the attack button is rapidly pressed. If Ripple-enhanced, the attack can land more hits and does more damage.
- Panic isn't in my vocabulary: Old Joseph extends Hermit Purple at specific points in the stage to pull him to, represented by anchor icons. This allows for quick escapes and inversely can be used to get closer to the opponent just as quickly. Certain types of environmental objects, such as lampposts, allow Old Joseph to stand on them, granting him the ability to recuperate from out of reach of close-ranged attacks.
- EX - Shrewd Old Man: The rate at which the stamina gauge depletes is reduced. The skill itself will do more damage, and instead of causing opponents to flinch, it will instead leave them crumpling and open them up even further to counterattack.
- EX - Hermit Purple!: The skill's execution and the speed of Hermit Purple's vines are faster.
- Keep up the good fight!: Old Joseph must use his Style Action 3 times. (200 Points)
- It's been a while, but... Overdrive!!: Old Joseph must connect and complete a Ripple-enhanced Normal attack combo. (200 Points)
- "When your opponent starts boasting, he's already lost.": Old Joseph must successfully execute 5 Combo Breakers. (300 Points)
- Looks like the same can be said for the both of us...: Old Joseph must connect "Shrewd Old Man"'s counter twice. (500 Points)
- YES! YES! YES! OH MY GOD!: Old Joseph must Retire an opponent with a Dual Heat Attack. (800 Points)
Dual Heat Attacks
- Solo - Hermit Purple and Ripple!: It works the same as the one from All Star Battle.
- With Jotaro - It's not cheating if the secret doesn't get out!: Joseph jumps into the air and tries to snare the opponent with Hermit Purple, only to miss. Briefly shocked and emoting his iconic "OH MY GOD!" as Jotaro expresses disappointment, he drops the facade to reveal that he had tied the opponent with a rope during his previous attack. He subsequently sends a Ripple current through the rope to shock them as Jotaro and Star Platinum move in to barrage them into submission.
- With Avdol - Double Bind!: Avdol fires an attack from Magician's Red that surrounds the opponent before Joseph strikes them with a Ripple-empowered Hermit Purple over his wrist throwing them into the air; they both capture the opponent with their respective abilities, before coming together and firing their Stands at the opponent overhead as they're burnt using a combination of the Ripple and Magician's Red's fire.
- With Josuke - Gotta be cool, at my age.: Josuke & Crazy Diamond pummel the target, with the final punch sending them high into the air. Old Joseph then comes from behind Josuke and uses Hermit Purple to bind the airborne opponent. Yanking on his Stand and pulling them in, Old Joseph then charges and delivers a forceful Ripple-infused downward chop to blast the target away once more, leaving Josuke impressed.
Unlike the previous game, Old Joseph's color scheme is now based on his anime appearance.
He is paired with Yoshikage Kira in the Eyes of Heaven Tournament, defeating Johnny Joestar and Josuke Higashikata in the first round. They were eliminated by Bruno Bucciarati and Trish Una in the second round, whom beforehand, won the F Block series of battles that allowed them to be matched against Old Joseph and Kira within the main tournament.
Relationships in Eyes of Heaven
(The information below derives from a Video Game not written by Araki. As such, it may not be considered canon.)
- Lisa Lisa: When encountering her as Part 3 Joseph, she will not recognize him at first. Later, Joseph will mention how weird it is to be older than his own mother.
- Rudol von Stroheim: Old Joseph will be surprised to see Stroheim alive, since he supposedly died in Stalingrad. Joseph asked Stroheim to make modifications to his mechanical arm.
- Caesar Anthonio Zeppeli: Old Joseph is glad to see Caesar alive. He tells Caesar to not treat everyone like a hick.
- Iggy: While their relationship is essentially the same as in the manga, Young Joseph will complain about having to team up with Iggy and state that he has evil eyes, but later states he is not bad for a mutt. Iggy will also complain about teaming up with Young Joseph and notes that his scent is similar to the Joseph he knows and wonders why.
Diamond Records (Android/iOS)
Joseph appears in Diamond Records as a playable character, both his young and old self.
JoJo's Pitter-Patter Pop! (Android/iOS)
Old Joseph (Diamond is Unbreakable)
Joseph makes his gaming debut as a playable character on the NES title as his young self (during Battle Tendency), along with other Jump Heroes (such as Goku from Dragonball, Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star and Seiya from Saint Seiya).
Joseph returns as his older appearance (Stardust Crusaders) in the sequel. However, he takes on a lesser role as a non-playable character (Jotaro is the representative hero from JJBA franchise instead). He appears only as support character, where the player can talk to him in order to obtain information.
Jump Super Stars (Nintendo DS)
Joseph appears as Jotaro's 3-block support koma. He uses Hermit Purple to draw an enemy towards him, creating a opening for attack.
Jump Ultimate Stars (Nintendo DS)
Although he's not playable he can be used as a support and help character in the game. In his 2 Koma support, Joseph Part 2 uses his special ability to predict the opponents line, inflicting paralysis effect on the enemy .
His 3 Koma support, now in his Part 3 appearance, he uses his stand, Hermit Purple, to grab the opponent and bring him near the player, creating a chance to attack. His help Koma gives the character the ability to see invisible characters.
Joseph also serves as an ally boost to Yoh (from Shaman King), by asking if he's a new stand user (since Shaman King character's can also use "spirits" to fight) and Franky (from One Piece), by asking if he doesn't burp after so much cola (a reference to Joseph's first appearance, where he used a cola soda to shoot an officer).
Joseph Joestar (from Part 2) is one of the two playable characters, alongside Jonathan Joestar, that represent the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure franchise in J-Stars Victory Vs..
Joseph's moveset includes his Clacker Volley to be used in combo and ranged attacks, his Tommy Gun to be used as a projectile attack and the Red Stone of Aja appears during Joseph's Special Move, where he aims it at the opponent and charges it with a ripple before shooting a powerful solar laser beam at them, causing a huge explosion (In canon, it was Kars who does this by accident during the final events of Part 2). Several of his famous poses appear as taunts and intro and victory sequences, similar to Jonathan.
Joseph's role during Story Mode is limited to small appearances. During Luffy's team arc, they claim to see an person walking over the water coming in their direction. That person is none other than Joseph Joestar himself, challenging the player's team claiming he's training his Ripple power (a small reference to Lisa Lisa's first appearance, where she walked over the water in Italy when first meeting Joseph). He yet appears later, this time challenging Naruto's team. After both battles, Joseph's introduces himself by saying "Joestar... Joseph Joestar, but you can call me JoJo." (the same line he uses to introduce himself to Smokey).
Joseph's color scheme is derived from the one used in the anime series. Joseph shares a theme with the Hunter × Hunter protagonist Gon Freecs, named "Bravely and Resolutely".
Both Joseph and Gintoki (from GINTAMA) shares the same seiyuu (Tomokazu Sugita), and this fact is alluded in their dialogues. Such as both characters predicting each other's lines, or a comment from Shinpachi saying, "Gin-san, this guy... He kind of sounds a lot like you."
Despite not having any specific conversation or interaction with Jonathan Joestar, they both appear as rivals in one of the videos for the western version of the game, J-Stars Victory Vs +, with their battle named "WHEN GRANDFATHER MEETS HIS GRANDSON!".
Joseph is one of the 6 main characters to appear in the SNES RPG game, along with Jotaro, Kakyoin, Polnareff, Avdol and Iggy, they must fight all the enemies and situations they faced in the manga story to find and terminate DIO.
Joseph makes a brief appearance in the game's introduction as an image behind Giorno (along with Jotaro, Josuke and Jonathan), after Koichi says that Giorno had a similar kindness to the Joestar bloodline and seeing Giorno eager to avenge the janitor killed by Black Sabbath.
Joseph is one of the first 3 available characters the player must choose to be his first team leader (alongside Jonathan and Jotaro). Both young and old incarnations appear as playable Metal Strikers.
For his FINISH moves, Part 2 Joseph uses his Clacker Volley on the defeated enemy, while his Special Level 3 Leader makes he uses his Thompson Machine Gun hitting any enemy near his target field, and his Part 3 appearance FINISH move uses Hermit Purple to capture the enemy and transfer Ripple into them.