JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Episode 10 (OVA)
The companions search the huge Egyptian capital of Cairo, showing everyone they meet the photo of a mysterious building where they think DIO resides. Polnareff, Avdol and Iggy cannot learn anything and meet with the rests of the rest of the group in a café, in which Joseph calls the Speedwagon Foundation and learns that Holy doesn't have long.
As they leave the café, one of the clients recognizes the building. The man is shown to be a gambling addict who wants the group to gamble the information: he asks them to choose which of two pieces of meat a nearby cat will take first. Polnareff angrily accepts to gamble and wager his soul. He loses and the gambler thus takes his soul with his Stand, Osiris. Presenting himself as Daniel J. D'Arby, the man turns Polnareff's soul into a poker chip. However, the group cannot attack him for fear of killing Polnareff for good.
Joseph then challenges D'Arby to another game. Filling a glass with alcohol, Joseph tells D'Arby that they will put coins in the glass in turn and whoever makes the glass leak loses. D'Arby checks the glass and accepts the challenge, he thus confidently puts five coins at the same time. Joseph tries to cheat, but D'Arby has already hidden a piece of chocolate under the glass to make Joseph miscalculate the amount of liquid. Joseph is cornered and loses his soul.
Jotaro then challenges D'Arby to a game of poker. On their first hand, Jotaro catches D'Arby trying to cheat at the dealing and breaks his finger. D'Arby decides to play seriously and splits Joseph and Polnareff into six chips each. Jotaro loses the next hand and half his soul. On the second hand, Jotaro doesn't bother to check his cards and declares his confidence. Ensues a psychological battle in which Jotaro shows off Star Platinum's speed, confidently wagers the souls of his remaining companions with confidence and ultimately gambles his mother's soul, demanding that D'Arby reveals the secret of DIO's Stand in exchange. Destabilized, D'Arby is pushed into folding and turns mad from the pressure. Joseph and Polnareff are revived, although it is revealed that Jotaro had a worthless hand all this time.
|Episode 10 (OVA): D'Arby the Gambler|
- A scene of Polnareff asking Cairenes about DIO's Mansion is added.
- A scene of Joseph inquiring about Holy's Stand is added.
- Joseph is shown explaining that DIO is blocking his visions, explaining the imprecision of Joseph's divinations.
- A scene of D'Arby's payroll boy running away is added.
- When asked about the location of DIO's Mansion by Avdol, a mentally broken down D'arby exclaims that it's near an old "Whore House".
LD/VHS/DVD (1993 & 2000)
- This episode's animation director, Takahiro Kishida, is one of the few animators to have worked on both the 1993 OVA series and the TV Anime (as well as the Baoh OVA). Much like other series where he is credited as Character Designer, the art style of the characters in this episode have a close resemblance to the manga due to his supervision.