جاناتان جوستار (ジョナサン・ジョースター Jonasan Jōsutā) شخصیت اصلی پارت اول مجموعه بلند ماجراجویی عجیب و غریب جوجو, یعنی Phantom Blood است و اولین جوجو به حساب می آید. میراث او صدها سال و تا انتهای پارت ششم پا برجا ماند و از نوادگان او می توان به جوزف جوستار و جوتارو کوجو اشاره کرد.
جاناتان تنها فرزند تاجری ثروتمند به نام جورج جوستار اول و ماری جوستار است. او شخصیتی صادق، مهربان، و واقع بین دارد که بعد از آشنایی با برادر ناتنتی خود یعنی دیو براندو زندگی اش زیر و رو می شود، شخصی که به عنوان یکی از شخصیت های اصلی منفی مجموعه جوجو به حساب می آید. جاناتان در مسیر مبارزه با دیو به فردی بدل می شود که در تکنیک ریپل به مهارت بالایی می رسد. و این مهارت توسط استادی به نام ویلیام آنتونیو زپلی به او آموزش داده می شود.
با توجه به هنجارهای دوره ویکتوریایی جاناتان در دوران کودکی و نوجوانی یک پیراهن به همراه یک شلوار چسبان که به بریچیز مشهور هستند و تا بالای زانو را پوشش می دهند به تن می کرد. همچنین مانند بسیاری دیگر از هم سن و سال هایش یک جوراب ساق بلند سفید و کفش چرم قهوه ای رنگ به پا داشت. و گاهی مواقع ژاکت بلیزر، جلیقه و یا کراوات بر روی پراهن خود می پوشید. به عنوان یک نجیب زاده گاهی به جای استفاده از کراوات همچون پدرش از ربان استفاده می کرد.
- زمان حضور در رینگ بوکس از دست کش های معمول بوکس، رکابی و شلوارک استفاده می کند.
- زمانی که با ارینا وقت خود را سپری می کند گاها از کلا های Newsboy cap و چکمه های ساق بلند استفاده می کند.
- زمان شنا کردن نیز از مایوی دو تکه استفاده می کند.
در دوران بزرگسالی می توان از جاناتان به عنوان جوانی بلند قامت، عظلانی و با وقار یاد کرد. ظاهرش این پیشینه را که یک نجیب زاده است به خوبی نشان می دهد. او با شکل و شمایل خاصی یک لباس کوتاه را بر روی رکابی بلند خود می پوشد و گاهی مواقع از دستمال گردن و گاهی مواقع از پاپیون نیز استفاده می کند. پوتین های سنگین به پا می کند و بعضی مواقع می توان او را با جلیقه نیز مشاهده کرد.
- جاناتان در خانه یک لباس نیمه رسمی که شامل پیراهن، کراوات و ژاکت است به تن می کند و آستین های پیراهن خود را بالا می زند.
During his childhood, Jonathan was proud and mischievous, yet gentle. Despite already aspiring to be a "true gentleman", Jonathan lacked manners and mostly behaved like a normal child. His mother, having died before he could remember her, and his fellow boys ostracizing him because of his status left Jonathan somewhat lonely. While at first, Jonathan didn't have his future strength of will, Dio unwittingly became the catalyst of his growth by pushing him to the edge and humiliating his girlfriend Erina Pendleton. However, he did have the kindness and courage to immediately jump to Erina's rescue against two bullies bigger than him despite not knowing her.
First and foremost, Jonathan strives to become a "true gentleman." He carries his Joestar name with pride, never betraying the code of conduct he has set for himself and will treat any fellow human with respect unless they prove evil.
Jonathan also possesses a fierce inner strength and the drive to face and overcome conflict, which Dio calls an "explosive power". That drive, fueled by his affection to his friends and loved ones, enabled him to overcome the direst situations, notably managing to save his wife Erina when their boat was overcome with zombies and he was fatally wounded. Jonathan fights for what he believes in, and once he is committed to something, he won't back down until the deed is done. During his journey to find a cure for his father's illness, he was ambushed by a band of misfit hoodlums. He did not so much as flinch as he grasped an assailant's knife within his hand, saying he had much more riding on the fight than merely four fingers.
As a gentleman, Jonathan is also kind and positive. Jonathan has a mindset where he tries to imagine the consequences his actions would have on other people, even if they appear to be enemies. He is gentle and sympathetic, feeling pain even as he vanquishes a zombified policeman. Despite his skill in fighting, he will never seriously harm a person without a valid reason. Even after everything Dio has done, Jonathan still considers him his brother, and sheds tears for him. His courteous nature as well as his mental fortitude and ability to withstand fear and pain is the main reason Speedwagon decides to aid him on his journey. During his life, Jonathan has always had an impulse to save others, beginning with Erina, and ending with his thought of a nearby baby just as he was agonizing from Dio's attack.
Yet Jonathan can feel righteous fury at the evilness of his foes and will conduct justice by vanquishing them. He admitted that his reason for fighting Dio wasn't out of duty for saving the world, but to avenge his loved ones that Dio had killed. Moreover, he has no pity for truly despicable individuals he is not familiar with such as Doobie.
With his courage and spirit, Jonathan sets a legacy as the first JoJo of the series.
Fascinated with the Stone Mask, Jonathan tried to study it and even took on the path of archeology. However, not having thought of putting it on anyone, Jonathan didn't discover its true purpose himself.
Jonathan had lived a rough past as the son of an aristocrat and was known in his childhood to have been at least a competent boxer. In his college life, he played Rugby alongside Dio Brando, and was revered as one of the two stars of Hugh Hudson Academy.
Even prior to learning Ripple, Jonathan was able to hold his own against three thugs, Speedwagon among them, with sheer might and willpower. He was capable of wielding various weaponry held by the suits of armor in the Joestar Mansion. He had also performed incredible feats of strength, such as jumping from the hilt of a sword and hoisting himself up to the second floor while doing a flip over the guardrails, despite his arm being inhibited by a spear pierced into his pectorals. Perhaps his greatest display of strength was after being revitalized and empowered by Zeppeli's Ultimate Deep Pass Overdrive, where he ripped through 3 steel bars clutching his neck, a feat that even the mighty zombie Tarkus outright admitted he was incapable of.
Jonathan is shown to be an intelligent person and a very competent thinker during battles, constantly coming up with new strategies mid-combat to defeat foes such as Bruford and Dio.
Academically, Jonathan graduated from university after having written a celebrated thesis in archaeology. He has meticulously studied the Stone Mask, going as far as identifying the spots in the brain it would pierce, but didn't discover its true purpose himself.
In a fight, Jonathan is adept at thinking of moves on the spot and using the environment to his advantage. On several occasions, Jonathan was quick to formulate plans even in a moment of crisis. Still agonizing over the death of his father, Jonathan had to fight a vampirized Dio and quickly thought about burning down the Joestar Mansion in order to cancel out Dio's regenerative abilities. Likewise, agonizing from a wound in the throat which also led to a lack of oxygen going to his brain, Jonathan managed to use his last Ripple on Wang Chan to dispose of a horde of zombies and Dio at the same time by controlling Wang Chan's body to make the boat explode. Jonathan even notably used his belt as a supplementary whip before ever acquiring the Ripple, as well exploited the fact that Windknight's Lot was a coal mining town to deduce that a lake would have air pockets at its bottom to surprise Bruford with an unexpected production of Ripple.
Jonathan has an arsenal of ancient martial art techniques, most inherited from Will A. Zeppeli and involving Ripple, at his disposal. Some are his original creation, most ending with "Overdrive".
Alongside the attacks, the Ripple has various other uses in combat. A skilled Ripple user such as Jonathan has the ability to walk on water, strengthen objects and increase their potency, increase jumping height, and much more.
- Main article: Luck and Pluck
- Main article: Joestar Stand
When DIO awakened The World, Jonathan's body also awakened a Hermit Purple-like Stand power with semi-precognitive abilities. Similar to Hermit Purple, it can produce psychic photographs by striking a camera or a crystal ball, which DIO used to track the Joestars and their friends' current location to send Stand Users after them. DIO was even able to tell when Joseph used Hermit Purple to take a psychic photograph of him, and instinctively knew that his acquisition of a Stand also awoke Stand abilities in Jonathan's descendants.
In the light novel JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE OVER HEAVEN, this Stand shares the same name as Hermit Purple and is called "Hermit Purple #2". In JORGE JOESTAR, this Stand is instead named "The Passion" and takes the form of a crown of thorns, along with also being able to watch the futures of anyone that is blood-related to Jonathan.
- George Joestar I: In his youth, Jonathan's father was very strict on him, correcting his lack of table manners and berating his studies, while ignoring the harm that Dio was bringing on his son. This was perhaps made worse by the fact that Jonathan's mother had died some years ago, hardening George and causing him to be harsher on his son. Regardless, Jonathan still loves his father greatly, angrily beating up Dio, whom he had been friends with for the past seven years, for poisoning his father. When Dio throws a knife at Jonathan, George sacrifices himself to block the knife and comments that "It's not so bad to die in your son's arms".
- Mary Joestar: Though Jonathan's interactions with his mother are never seen as she is killed while he was still an infant, he is shown to love her greatly, looking at her picture wistfully and crying right after Dio ruins his life with his arrival.
- Danny: Jonathan and Danny have forged a strong bond since Danny saved Jonathan from drowning in the river. Jonathan is shown to be very angry when Danny was kicked by Dio and had sobbed uncontrollably when the household had buried Danny. Danny still shows up in his master's memories, when Jonathan remembers having fought with Danny over a toy gun.
- Erina Pendleton: Jonathan's love interest and eventually his wife first hands him a handkerchief shortly after he is beaten down by bullies. Jonathan professes his love for her afterward, which she is shown to accept at least in part until Dio enters and steals her first kiss in order to upset the two. Erina does return after the Joestar mansion burns down, however, and nurses Jonathan back to health, igniting the relationship between the two once more. The two are married after Jonathan manages to defeat Dio with his Ripple, and their relationship continues well into Erina's old age.
- Giorno Giovanna: Many years after Jonathan's death, DIO uses Jonathan's body to get around in the world now, during which he sires 4 children, one of which is Giorno. Of all the children, Giorno is born first and carries the birthmark thanks to Jonathan's DNA present in his body. While a slightly darker side of Giorno exists, resembling DIO's ruthlessness (albeit towards evil people), he retains a noble heart and desire to help innocents, closer to Jonathan's ideals.
- Joseph Joestar: Joseph is the grandson of Jonathan. Joseph had no real knowledge of his grandfather prior to his battle with Straizo because of Robert E. O. Speedwagon keeping the events of Jonathan's battle secret. However, Joseph holds great respect towards him due to his relationship with Erina and friendship with Speedwagon. When Caesar insults Jonathan, it enrages Joseph for bringing up the past. His respect for his grandfather is even more apparent in his later years, as he's shown to be angry that DIO is now using Jonathan's body as his own.
- Robert E. O. Speedwagon: As Jonathan's most loyal friend and an enemy at first, he later joined Jonathan on his quest after seeing the protagonist's dedication and courteous nature. In his later years, he founded The Speedwagon Foundation, which has become the Joestar Family's most useful asset in battling Stand users and supernatural research.
- Will Anthonio Zeppeli: Jonathan, upon meeting Zeppeli, was initially perplexed by his appearance and strange abilities. After Zeppeli explains his actions and the significance of the Ripple, Jonathan grows to trust Zeppeli completely and looks up to him as a mentor. Zeppeli eventually sacrifices himself to save Jonathan and transfers his energy and life force to him, just moments before dying. Jonathan tearfully avenges Zeppeli by killing Tarkus.
- Poco: As with the rest of his party, Jonathan felt it necessary to look after Poco during his battle against Dio and his undead army. He takes it upon himself to save Poco's sister during their storming of Dio's castle.
- Tonpetty: Given the short time-sharing, their relationship was nothing more than cordial respect and empathy with them over the death of Zeppeli.
- Dire: Dire died too fast to exchange more than a few words with him. However, it is Jonathan who takes revenge on his hands against Dio.
- Straizo: Given the short time-sharing, their relationship was nothing more than cordial respect and empathy with them over the death of Zeppeli. However after Jonathan's death, it is Straizo who adopts the child that Jonathan saves and gives to Erina and eventually teaches the child in the ways of the Ripple. Since Straizo's adoptive daughter married his son that would essentially make them brothers-in-law.
- Dio Brando: In their childhood, Dio and Jonathan do not get along well due to Dio's antagonism towards Jonathan and his ability to both outshine him and ruin his relationships greatly. Years later at Hugh Hudson Academy, Jonathan is shown to have become friendly with Dio, though Jonathan still suspects that something is suspicious about Dio's behavior, while Dio had been plotting to take over the Joestar household. Their antagonism reaches a peak when Dio poisons, and later kills, Jonathan's father and transforms into a vampire. Regardless, both maintain some degree of respect towards one another, as shown when Jonathan suicidally attempts to pin Dio on a pointed statue as the Joestar mansion burned down & destroyed his body in their final battle, and Dio acknowledges Jonathan shortly before attempting to take over Jonathan's body. In the end, Jonathan failed to stop Dio and his body is possessed by him. Their relationship sparks a legacy that continues well into the future parts of the series.
- Wang Chan: As the man who gave Dio the poison that was used to try and kill his father, Jonathan despised Wang Chan. Unlike Dio, Wang Chan had no respect for Jonathan and constantly insulted him. During his final battle with Dio, Jonathan used the last of his Ripple to kill Wang Chan and use his body to blow up the ship and Dio with it.
- Tarkus: Jonathan was originally awestruck at Tarkus having learned of him in history books, but after he destroyed the remains of his comrade Bruford, Jonathan lost all respect for him. The two would later battle in a castle chained together and said battle would prompt Zeppeli's death, and out of anger and sadness Jonathan destroyed Tarkus.
- Bruford: Like Tarkus, Jonathan highly respected Bruford due to his reputation as a great fighter and knight. After their battle, Bruford also grew to respect Jonathan and gave him his sword before his death.
- Jack the Ripper: Because he was one of Dio's minions and an infamous serial killer, Jonathan knew Jack was a threat and had to be stopped. In the end, Jonathan destroyed Jack with his Ripple.
Chapters / Episodes
- “I strive to be a true gentleman! There are times when a gentleman has to be courageous and fight, even when his opponent is bigger than he is and he knows he's going to lose! (ぼくは本当の紳士をめざしているからだ！相手が大きいヤツだからって負けるとわかっているからって紳士は勇気を持って戦わなくてはならない時があるからだぞッ！！Boku wa hontō no shinshi o mezashite irukarada! Aite ga ōkī yatsudakaratte makeru to wakatte irukaratte shinshi wa yūki o motte tatakawanakute wa naranai toki ga arukarada zo!!)”
- “What are you doing? I won't forgive you! (何をするんだァーッ ゆるさんッ!Nani o surunda ー Yurusan!)”
- “I... I'm no match for [Dio]... but I can't afford to lose now! If I lose, I'll be living in Dio's shadow for the rest of my life! Above all else, I have to fight to reclaim Erina's honor! (か…かなわない… で…でも負けられない…もしこのケンカで負けたらこれから一生ディオの影でオドオドと生活しなくてはならない！ な…何よりもエリナの名誉を取りもどすため戦わなくてはならない！Ka... kanawanai... De... demo make rarenai... moshi kono kenka de maketara korekara isshō dio no kage de odōdo to seikatsu shinakute wa naranai! Na... naniyori mo Erina no meiyo o tori modosu tame tatakawanakute wa naranai!)”
- “I will protect my father! I will protect House Joestar! (ぼくは父を守るッ！ジョースター家を守るッ！Boku wa chichi o mamoru! Jōsutā-ke o mamoru!)”
- “Dio! What are you planning now?! Whatever you do, I'll fight! I am Jonathan Joestar of House Joestar! (ディオ！ 今度は何を考えている！？ だが 君がどう出ようとぼくは戦うぞ！ ぼくはジョースター家のジョナサン・ジョースターだッ！！Dio! Kondo wa nani o kangaete iru!? Daga kimi ga dō deyou to boku wa tatakau zo! Boku wa Jōsutā-ke no Jonasan Jōsutā da!!)”
- “Th- That Stone Mask... It's given birth to a monster! Frankly, I'm scared! But I can't let you remain in this world, Dio! I'll put an end to you! I never expected the Stone Mask that I was inquisitively researching to be a tool for creating demons... It's my fault... I have to fight! (か…怪物を生み出したのか…あの石仮面は！…正直ぼくはこわい だが ディオ 君をこの世にいさせちゃあいけない！かたをつける！ぼくが好奇心で研究していた石仮面が魔物を作り出す道具だったなんて…ぼくの責任だ…戦わねばならない！Ka... kaibutsu o umidashita no ka... ano ishikamen wa! ...Shōjiki boku wa kowai. Daga Dio, kimi o konoyo ni i sasechā ikenai! Kata o tsukeru! Boku ga kōkishin de kenkyū shite ita sekikamen ga mamono o tsukuridasu dōgudatta nante... Boku no sekininda... Tatakawaneba naranai!)”
- “This is not a "plan"! This is "courage"! (「策」ではないッ！「勇気」だ！！'Saku' de wanai! 'Yūki' da!!)”
- “My youth was a youth with Dio! I'll settle that youth here and now! (ぼくの青春はディオとの青春！これからその青春に決着をつけてやるッ！Boku no seishun wa dio to no seishun! Korekara sono seishun ni ketchaku o tsukete yaru!)”
- “There you are, vampire zombie! Ripple through the wall! Sendō Hamon Overdrive! (そこだァーッ！吸血
屍生人ッ！！壁を伝われ！波紋！仙道波紋 疾走ッ！！Sokoda! Kyūketsu zonbii!! Kabe o tsutaware! Hamon! Sendō Hamon Ōbādoraibu!!)”
- “My heart is resonating! With the heat of a raging fire! Feel the pounding beat of my pulse! Sunlight Yellow Overdrive! (震えるぞハート！燃え尽きるほどヒート！！刻むぞ血液のビート！
山吹き色の波紋疾走！！Furueru zo hāto! Moetsukiru hodo hīto!! Kizamu zo ketsueki no bīto! Sanraito Ierō Ōbādoraibu!!)”
- “Not one of your bones will remain! I'll erase your evil spirit from this world! Sink into the darkness of history forever! (おまえの骨ひとつとてこの世に残さん！邪悪な魂を絶ってやる！！歴史の闇に永遠に沈め！Omae no hone hitotsu tote kono yo ni nokosan! Jaaku na tamashī o tatte yaru!! Rekishi no yami ni eien ni shizume!)”
- “There's no need to share my prideful name with a zombie! (
屍生人になど誇りある我が名を教える必要なし！Zonbi ni nado hokori aru waga na o oshieru hitsuyō nashi!)”
- “Dio! I'll reveal my feelings to you... It's disgraceful as a gentleman, but to be honest, right now, Jonathan Joestar... will kill you, Dio, for the sake of revenge! (ディオ！ぼくの気持ちをきかせてやる…紳士として恥ずべきことだが正直なところ 今のジョナサン・ジョースターは…恨みをはらすためにディオ！きさまを殺すのだッ！Dio! Boku no kimochi o kikasete yaru... Shinshi to shite hazubeki koto daga shōjiki na tokoro, ima no Jonasan Jōsutā wa... urami o harasu tame ni Dio! Kisama o korosu noda!)”
- “The final Ripple remaining in my body... I'll release it, no matter how small! (体内に残されたかすかな最後の波紋…すべてを一気に放出するかすかていい！Tainai ni nokosa reta kasukana saigo no hamon... subete o ikkini hōshutsu suru kasukate ī!)”
- “Maybe we really are two as one... I even feel a bizarre friendship between us. And now, our fates are truly intertwined... and they'll disappear together as this ship explodes. (ぼくらはやはり ふたりでひとりだったのかもしれないな 奇妙な友情すら感じるよ…そして 今 ふたりの運命は完全にひとつとなった… そして…船の爆発で消える…Bokura wa yahari futari de hitoridatta no kamo shirenai na kimyō na yūjō sura kanjiru yo... Soshite ima futari no unmei wa kanzen ni hitotsu to natta... Soshite... fune no bakuhatsu de kieru...)”
- “Be happy... Erina. (幸…わ…せ…に……エリナShia... wa... se... ni... Erina.)”
- Jonathan's name was derived at a Denny's where Araki and his first editor, Ryosuke Kabashima, had their first meeting pertaining to the JoJo series. The two had decided on "Jonathan" as the series' protagonist, however, Araki also wanted the initials to match in a way similar to the American filmmaker, Steven Spielberg (S.S). They eventually landed on the name, "Jonathan Joestar" (J.J) and thus the nickname "JoJo" was born. Araki mentions he was not referencing anything in particular when he chose the first name.
- In Jump Comics Volume 1, there is a typographical error where Jonathan uses the line 何をするだァーッ (Nani o suru da) instead of 何をするんだァーッ (Nani o surun da). This error was not fixed for 15 years until the 66th printing, and has since been replicated in other works such as All-Star Battle. The Phantom Blood PS2 game uses the original line in Story and Chapter Mode, but fixes the typo in the Theater Mode and title screen demo versions of the scene.
- According to JOJO A-GO!GO!, the ability DIO uses during Stardust Crusaders, to create a vision on a crystal ball, is actually a Stand power which awoke in Jonathan's body.
- Jonathan has a similar appearance and physique to Hokuto no Ken's Kenshiro.
- Araki stated in JoJonium Vol. 1 that Jonathan was difficult for him to design. He wanted to create a "first Joestar" that could function as a symbol of purity and dignity rather than a unique, fresh character. However, there were limitations on how he could write the character due to being a "symbol of justice", so Araki found himself unsure where to take the character.
- Jonathan is the only character to appear in every chapter of the respective part they were introduced in, as he is in every chapter of Phantom Blood.
- Due to the concept of the Joestar Birthmark not being introduced until Stardust Crusaders, Jonathan is not shown to have it in the manga. Later adaptations do show Jonathan's birthmark, such as the 2000 OVA during the flashback showing Jonathan's death, or the 2012 anime when he defeats Tarkus.
- Jonathan's voice actor in the 2007 Phantom Blood film, Katsuyuki Konishi, also voices Diavolo in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind.