Will Anthonio Zeppeli
Will Anthonio Zeppeli (ウィル・
Zeppeli is a Ripple master hailing from Italy who has made it his life's mission to find the Stone Mask and destroy it. After learning about Dio Brando, he decidedly becomes Jonathan Joestar's ally and mentor, teaching him the art of the Ripple and fighting alongside him against Dio's army of zombies.
Zeppeli appears as a man of average to above-average height, muscular build and defined, pointed facial features. He has dark, curly hair that protrudes somewhat from under his hat and a thin, well-groomed handlebar mustache. Araki considered giving Zeppeli a mustache a gamble. It was uncommon at the time to give Shonen protagonists any type of mustache, as it usually made the character seem older and untrustworthy. The mustache, in particular, Araki chose was inspired by Salvador Dalí and Iyami from Osomatsu-kun.
Between two outfits, he wears a suit, a bow tie, and a top hat; first characterized by a rainbow print, and then by a checkered print. The latter design is consistent in the anime, however.
Will Anthonio Zeppeli is a fearless but eccentric Ripple master dedicated to battle evil.
As a master of the Ripple, Zeppeli is confident and brave, notably thinking that one's courage is proportional to the hardships one faces.
The Ripple master notably keeps a methodical and cool approach to battle despite the horrible fighting styles of the enemies although his experience may help. For instance, he tries to teach Jonathan to put himself in the enemy's shoes to predict their actions. Having been predicted his death by his master Tonpetty, Zeppeli bravely walks toward his demise and sacrifices himself to help Jonathan. Ultimately, Zeppeli was strong-willed enough to crawl toward Jonathan despite having the lower half of his body cut off.
Zeppeli is a righteous individual dedicated to battle evil. After surviving a Vampire attack, Zeppeli spent the rest of his life to investigate the Stone Mask and then learn the Ripple to battle its vampiric spawns. In addition, he contrasts human courage to the inhumane strength of Vampires and Zombies. When Dio implies that he's killed many people to heal his wounds, Zeppeli becomes enraged and quickly jumps to attack the Vampire.
The Italian holds the Ripple in high esteem, praising it as a culmination of the human spirit and claiming that one needs to have endured a difficult life to create it. Indeed, Zeppeli links one's ability to keep calm to the ability to keep a regular breathing.
Otherwise, Zeppeli shows himself as a fairly quirky individual. Against all conventions, Zeppeli approaches an injured Jonathan and gives him the power of the Ripple without having met him previously. Likewise his teaching methods occasionally involve convoluted ways to form his student, for instance, showing off his Zoom Punch attack by punching Jonathan before explaining its principles or forcing Jonathan to hold a cup of wine, hiding its use as a radar. Moreover, he shows a number of other small eccentricities such as gratuitously jumping high with his legs crossed, having a tendency to pepper his snack too much, or bringing a wine bottle without the corkscrew and ultimately piercing its bottom to get to the wine. When discussing the character, Araki stated that he was inspired to make Zeppeli a "silly" teacher to train Jonathan, like something akin to the "drunken master" in Jackie Chan films or Mr. Miyagi from The Karate Kid.
Having studied the technique for years with masters in Tibet and trained Jonathan himself, Zeppeli is an expert when it comes to using the Ripple. Aside from attacking, he is able to use it for other applications such as jumping, standing on water, healing wounds, reviving plants, and even limited foresight.
Zeppeli launches his fist forward and strikes his opponent via an elongated arm. The attack involves a Ripple breathing technique that dislocates and stretches his joints to extend his arm and give it greater reach while also using the same Ripple to dull the pain caused by the move. Due to the increased length, the strike immediately reaches the opponent's face first, which from that perspective seems "zoomed in".
Will Anthonio Zeppeli was born on January 19, 1838. Will was born to a scholarly family, so he had always been interested in researching the unknown since his youth. When he became of age, he joined the archaeological group at his father's university and was able to travel to various places around the world.
On one of his travels, the group went to Mexico to excavate an underground Aztec ruin. Amongst their finds was the Stone Mask.
On the voyage home, several of the crew began to die off, until they realized that someone had put on the mask. It turned out to be the leader of the group, Zeppeli's father. All 58 crew members were slaughtered, but Zeppeli managed to escape by jumping into the sea. His father was eradicated by the morning sun soon after. Zeppeli was eventually rescued several days later by a fishing boat.
Two years after this horrific event, Zeppeli travels the world in order to find a way to destroy the stone mask. In a town in India, he meets a strange man with the ability to heal even the most impossible injuries and sicknesses. The man directs Zeppeli to his master, Tonpetty, who teaches him to use the "Ripple". However, during his training, Tonpetty foresees Zeppeli's death and warns him that should he complete his training he will surely die. Zeppeli accepts his fate and agrees to complete the training along with Dire.
Phantom Blood (1888)
Meeting Jonathan Joestar
After hearing that Jonathan Joestar defeated Dio Brando, the current owner of the Stone Mask, Zeppeli presents himself to Jonathan and volunteers to teach him the Ripple after using it to heal Jonathan's shattered arm. Zeppeli then accompanies Jonathan and Robert E. O. Speedwagon on their quest to defeat Dio and destroy the Stone Mask. Zeppeli briefly fights Jack the Ripper before giving the task to Jonathan in an attempt to teach him to more effectively use the Ripple. He also tries to help Speedwagon discover the Ripple in the same was as Jonathan, but makes a mistake and simply knocks the wind out of him instead.
When Dio reveals himself to the group, Zeppeli quickly engages him on his own - however, his arm is flash-frozen in the battle by Dio, totally disabling his Ripple techniques and putting him out of commission until Speedwagon comes to his aid. When Dio summons the Dark Knights, Zeppeli and Speedwagon are unable to assist Jonathan in his fight against Bruford due to Tarkus's interference. After Bruford is defeated, Zeppeli and Jonathan use their Ripple on a pile of leaves to make a hang glider to escape Tarkus, who eventually manages to catch up. While Jonathan is struggling to defeat Tarkus, Zeppeli enters the battle with Poco's help and finally shares his knowledge of his own fate.
Battle Against Tarkus
As Tonpetty's prophecy foretold, Zeppeli battles with Tarkus and becomes wrapped in his chains. Tarkus attempts to kill Jonathan and Zeppeli at the same time, bifurcating Zeppeli at the waist (as well as amputating an arm) and breaking Jonathan's neck - however, Zeppeli is able to give his power and life energy to Jonathan moments before dying. It is by this power that Jonathan is healed and able to defeat Tarkus. Despite his ravaged body, Zeppeli manages to stay conscious for a few minutes, chastises Jonathan for grieving and implores him one final time to defeat Dio for good and destroy the Stone Mask. He takes his last breaths knowing he will live on through Jonathan and dies in his arms. His remains are cremated by Jonathan and Speedwagon in the old knight training grounds where Tarkus was slain.
It is later revealed that Zeppeli had sent a letter to his master Tonpetty asking for help in destroying the Stone Mask, though Tonpetty arrived too late to prevent Zeppeli's death. After his passing, Speedwagon gains a penchant for wearing his signature checker-print top hat.
- Caesar Anthonio Zeppeli: Caesar believes the bonds between an Italian family such as the Zeppelis are stronger than most people. According to him, because of their pride, Zeppeli's can handle their problems on their own and have the will to pull through. When he first meets Joseph, he says that it was because Jonathan needed so much help to fight his own battle, that Will ended up dying because of it.
- Mario Zeppeli: Zeppeli's relationship with his son is never fully expanded upon, however, Mario had known since he was young of the fate of his father. Because of this, he began researching the Stone Masks and spent his life training his Ripple, following in the footsteps of his father.
- Jonathan Joestar: Jonathan, upon meeting Zeppeli, is initially perplexed by his appearance and strange abilities. After Zeppeli explains his actions and the significance of the Ripple, Jonathan grows to trust Zeppeli completely and look up to him as a mentor. Zeppeli eventually sacrifices himself to save Jonathan, transferring his energy and life force to him. In his last moments, Zeppeli tells Jonathan that he was like both a son and a best friend to him. Jonathan tearfully avenges Zeppeli by killing his executioner, Tarkus.
- Robert E. O. Speedwagon: Originally, Zeppeli thought Speedwagon would run away at the first sign of danger as he couldn't use Ripple, but he eventually respects his courage when Speedwagon stays despite his shortcomings. After Zeppeli was killed, Speedwagon donned his hat out of respect.
- Poco: While Zeppeli wasn't too close to Poco, Zeppeli still cared for Poco, saving his life when Tarkus tried to kill him. Like Speedwagon and Jonathan, Poco mourned his death at the hands of Tarkus.
- Tonpetty: As the man who taught him about Ripple, Zeppeli greatly respected Tonpetty. Tonpetty showed great concern for Zeppeli when he warned him his study of Ripple would be the end of him.
- Dire: While their relationship is never fully expanded on, they were good friends who trained together with Tonpetty. Dire tried to avenge Zeppeli by killing Dio but failed.
- Straizo: Like Dire, Straizo's relationship is never fully explained but they were likely close as well.
- Dio Brando: Having used the Stone Mask, Zeppeli immediately viewed Dio as an enemy once he learned about the incident at the Joestar Mansion and due to his own father using the same mask to become a Vampire himself. Dio himself is dismissive of Zeppeli's hatred towards his vampiric ways and connection to the Stone Mask, only viewing Zeppeli's mastery of the unfamiliar Ripple as nothing more than magic tricks.
- Jack the Ripper: While Zeppeli knew Jack was a threat, he showed absolutely no respect for him, comparing him to a flea.
Relationships in Eyes of Heaven
(The information below derives from a Video Game not written by Araki. As such, it may not be considered canon.)
- Dio Brando/DIO: While their relationship is essentially the same as in the manga when Zeppeli encounters DIO from Stardust Crusaders, he will state that Dio seems even eviler and wonders if the Stone Mask is responsible, while DIO believes Zeppeli is even less of a threat than before since he acquired The World.
- Wamuu: When Zeppeli encounters Wamuu, he will state surprised that Wamuu is aware of Ripple users and their weaknesses and wonder who he is. If he wins, he later realizes he's one of the Pillar Men, while Wamuu is surprised that the Ripple users haven't died out yet. Interestingly, Zeppeli is unaware that Wamuu is responsible for the deaths of his son and grandson.
- Kars: Zeppeli recognizes Kars as one of the Pillar Men and swears to kill him and destroy every last Stone Mask he created.
Chapters / Episodes
- “That's right! If it's hit by a larger wave of Ripple energy, it will scatter! And Ripple energy is created by waves! Those waves... are similar to the waves of the light of the sun! (そうだッ！もう一つの大きな波紋エネルギーをぶつければ奴らは砕け散るっ！！そして波紋法の作るエネルギーの波は！あの！太陽の光の波と同じ形なのだッ！Sōda! Mōhitotsu no ōkina hamon enerugī o butsukereba yatsura wa kudake chiru!! Soshite hamon-hō no tsukuru enerugī no nami wa! Ano! Taiyō no hikari no nami to onaji katachina noda!)”
- “It is fear that disturbs one's breathing! But when you control your fear, your breathing won't falter! The Ripple technique's breathing is the product of courage! Human praise is the praise of courage! Human greatness is the greatness of courage! However strong they may be, these zombies do not know courage! They are just like fleas! (呼吸を乱すのは「恐怖」！だが「恐怖」を支配したとき！呼吸は規則正しく乱れないッ！波紋法の呼吸は「勇気」の産物！！人間賛歌は「勇気」の賛歌ッ！！人間のすばらしさは「勇気」のすばらしさ！！いくら強くてもこいつら
屍生人は「勇気」を知らん！ノミと同類よォーッ！！Kokyū o midasu no wa 'kyōfu'! Daga 'kyōfu' o shihai shita toki! Kokyū wa kisokutadashiku midarenai! Hamon-hō no kokyū wa 'yūki' no sanbutsu!! Ningen sanka wa 'yūki' no sanka!! Ningen no subarashisa wa 'yūki' no subarashisa!! Ikura tsuyokute mo koitsu-ra zonbi wa 'yūki' o shiran! Nomi to dōrui yo!!)”
- “The stern northern winds gave birth to the hardy, gritty Vikings! Will that wine create a Viking? (厳しい北風は気骨あるしたたかなバイキングを生んだのだ！あのワインはバイキングを作るかな！Kibishī kitakaze wa kikotsu aru shitatakana Baikingu o unda noda! Ano wain wa Baikingu o tsukuru ka na!)”
- “JoJo… Y… You… Y-You fool…! Now isn’t the time to mourn! Go quickly now, JoJo! Defeat Dio… and destroy the Stone Mask! I am satisfied with my fate… When I was younger… I had a wife. But I left my family behind to chase the Stone Mask. I am satisfied with my fate… I have accepted everything. In the end, I gave you my all… JoJo… You are my hope! It’s as if you’re both my son and my best friend all at once. And I shall live on within you…”
Creation and Development
Hirohiko Araki says that Will Anthonio Zeppeli was named after the rock band Led Zeppelin because the band's members were top-tier musicians to him, though he also feels that he had used the reference too early in the series. Araki also says that how Zeppeli's name sounds is important, as he wanted to balance out the names with a "Z" in contrast to names starting with "J" (JoJo, Jonathan, Joestar, and the likes).
Araki states that he likes teachers who are silly and make you wonder whether or not they're missing a screw. He compares Zeppeli to characters from Jackie Chan movies and The Karate Kid; characters who look a little off on the outside, but possess traits deserving of respect on the inside. Araki also describes Zeppeli as strong even though he is dressed as a magician with a snake oil salesman's mustache. Finally, Araki mentions that the character's mustache, which was inspired by the painter Salvador Dali and Osomatsu-kun's Iyami, required to pull off a lot of courage in a shonen magazine, because it makes the character look older and untrustworthy no matter the type of mustache.
In the original Weekly Shonen Jump publication of Part 1's thirty-fifth chapter, Zeppeli says that he didn't marry nor have any children. Because of this line, fans complained of Will's grandson Caesar Anthonio Zeppeli's existence in the later part Battle Tendency. Eventually, Araki changed Will's line in the tankoban release, having Will say he lost his family instead, and also wrote an apology.
Araki personally liked the relationship between Jonathan and Will, and wanted to retell it again for a longer coming-of-age story. He chose to make the Steel Ball Run characters Johnny Joestar and Gyro Zeppeli around the same age so they could be less formal and more friendly than their original counterparts similar to the Joseph-Caesar relationship from Battle Tendency.
Zeppeli returns as a playable character in the PS3 game. He was confirmed along with Jonathan and Johnny Joestar. As a Ripple-user character (along with Jonathan, Joseph Joestar [Both Parts 2 and 3], Caesar, and Lisa Lisa), Zeppeli can recharge his Heart Heat Gauge through "Ripple Breath" by holding down the Style button, performing a famous JoJo pose, as well as deliver enhanced versions of skills if Style is inputted in place of normal attack buttons. Zeppeli has 950 HP.
Zeppeli's moveset mostly comprises of the Ripple-based moves he had used in the original manga.
Zeppeli breathes out to produce the Ripple, charging his Heart Heat Gauge. As a Ripple master, Zeppeli's Ripple Breath replenishes the HHG faster than most other Ripple users, being roughly 150% of the normal rate and tying with Lisa Lisa's for fastest in the game.
A 'Super Jump' skill. Zeppeli leaps higher into the air with his knees alone. This skill can be used to better evade attacks, or even extend time for air-based skills.
Zeppeli makes use of Life Magnetism Overdrive to create a glider out of foliage, allowing him to slowly descend through the air toward/over the opponent for a short time while continuously draining his HHG. This skill can be used to alter the timing of his landing, and evade most attacks (especially so if used in conjunction with Seated Jump). This skill can also chain into an aerial normal attack or Tornado Overdrive.
Zeppeli lays tucked-flat in the air, using the power of the Ripple to brace himself while continuously draining his Heart Heat Gauge; This is the only ability in the entire game that allows a character to defend themselves in mid-air. Zeppeli will slowly descend while the skill is in use, eventually falling to the ground. He can extend the ability's overall duration if used in conjunction with Seated Jump, though naturally at the cost of more Heart Heat.
Zeppeli hyperextends his arm and punches with greatly increased range straight forward. A command normal that can chain into any of his skills. (Comboable)
Zeppeli quickly jabs his little finger into the opponent's abdomen to stun them, before kicking them to the ground.
Zeppeli spits wine out of his mouth as disc-shaped projectiles. The number of cutters he unleashes is altered by the attack button inputted, up to three. While the cutters will deal more total damage as they increase in number, the fewer there are, the higher the damage each individual projectile possesses. If used in the air, the cutters are fired diagonally downward. If Ripple-enhanced, this skill has Zeppeli spew a greater amount of cutters. (Flash Cancel comboable)
Zeppeli leaps a great forward distance with his knee extended, sending the opponent flying if it hits. This move functions as both a reversal attack and anti-air, but cannot be Flash-Cancelled due to Zeppeli leaving the ground. If Ripple-enhanced, the attack delivers more hits and gains super armor, allowing Zeppeli to power through non-Throw/HHA/GHA attacks.
Zeppeli unleashes a blast of Ripple from a single hand, sending the opponent flying. If Light () is inputted, the attack has a slower start-up period but becomes an unblockable command Throw. If Ripple-enhanced, the attack's damage is decreased in exchange for instead leaving the opponent stunned and vulnerable. (Ripple-enhanced comboable)
Zeppeli leaps into the air and comes down spinning, using his legs extended as a drill. This move is a middle attack that cannot be blocked crouching. It can also be used in mid-air, as well as to strike a downed opponent. If Ripple-enhanced, Zeppeli gains invulnerability until the height of his leap, phasing through attacks, and will trip a standing opponent into the air upon landing to launch them. (Ripple-enhanced Comboable)
Zeppeli reenacts his first demonstration of Ripple usage on a frog, against the opponent. He first slides across the ground in a low kick. If it lands, the opponent gets tripped to the ground by Zeppeli as he suddenly rises to his feet. He then charges the Ripple into his fist, before punching downward into the downed opponent, shocking them with the Ripple energy and sending them flying.
Zeppeli, charging Ripple energy, lunges forward with his little finger extended, asking what courage is. If the attack lands, the opponent is left stunned and defenseless as he answers that courage is about confronting and owning one's fear. Zeppeli then charges an immense amount of Ripple energy as golden Ripples emanate across the ground, and releases a Zoom Punch augmented with the power of Sunlight Yellow Overdrive, electrifying and blasting the enemy away in a single strike.
Zeppeli is a very balanced and free-flowing fighter who carries an extraordinarily diverse arsenal. He possesses a myriad of attacks ranging from projectiles, to a reversal & anti-air, command throw, multiple aerial skills, and a Super Jump skill. Beyond that, Zeppeli is the only character in the game that can guard while in the air, which when combined with his aforementioned Super Jump and the ability to glide and alter the timing and directions of his landings, grant him tremendous aerial proficiency unseen in most of the roster. His superior Ripple Breath can also be used to force the opponent to attack and approach him due to the very fast rate his version of the skill builds Heart Heat. As a result, his prowess in nearly any aspect of combat is excellent, and he can be played to any role.
However, Zeppeli inflicts lower-than-average damage, even when enhancing his skills. While he still provides exceptional utility, he is only able to deliver a strong offense through enhancing most attacks, otherwise losing much of his combo potential when low on Heart Heat. Although he has advanced techniques for expanding his damage output, such as the ability to repeatedly 'Tiger Knee' most of his aerial skills, they require precision and good skill to execute consistently.
Wielding a wide-ranging array of odd-yet-useful abilities, Zeppeli represents an "easy to learn and difficult to master" form of character. Through his solid and varied skillset, he is a good option for beginner players while at the same time readily rewarding high-execution and mastery to experienced players with a multitude of ways to confuse the opponent and deal greater damage.
- Kameyu Stamp Exchange Shop
- Encounter Quest Reward
- Ultimate Quest
- Platinum Ring Exchange
- Super Advent Campaign
- Ultimate Quest
- Platinum Ring Exchange
- Diamond Gacha
- Diamond Gacha
- Diamond Gacha
- Diamond Gacha
- Diamond Gacha
- Various Missions
- Diamond Gacha
Zeppeli was confirmed for the game alongside Jonathan and Speedwagon.
As a Ripple User, Zeppeli has a Ripple Gauge that determines the strength of his attacks. Filling up the gauge will automatically empower his Normal and Powerful Attacks, and enhance/alter the properties of all his skills. It will also shorten the cooldown time on said skills. Using skills will drain a portion of the Ripple Gauge until there's an insufficient amount to use.
- What a jump! From a seated position, using only his knees!: Zeppeli leaps high into the air with his knees alone. This skill can be used to simply evade attacks, and can also be canceled using any mid-air attack.
- Style Action - Ripple Breathing: Zeppeli performs a pose and Ripple Breathes, filling up the Ripple Gauge. He cannot move and is vulnerable to attacks while doing so. Similar to All-Star Battle, Zeppeli fills his gauge the fastest out of all Ripple Users.
- One question at a time, okay?: Zeppeli swiftly charges forward, passing through partner and enemy alike. He is able to cancel this skill with any kind of attack or skill, allowing him to close the distance and/or Backstab opponents in one swift move. If Ripple-enhanced, the speed and distance of the charge is increased.
- Sunlight Yellow Overdrive!: Zeppeli dives forward with a Ripple-charged hand extended. If the opponent is hit, the Ripple will shock them in the abdomen. Zeppeli then pulls his hand back before hitting them off with a more concentrated attack, sending the opponent flying. If Ripple-enhanced, the skill will receive a damage boost and increase the speed and distance of the dive. The skill's damage is dependent on how much of the Ripple Gauge is filled.
- Tornado Overdrive!: Zeppeli performs a special flipping leap. Further input will make him come down at a diagonal angle spinning, using his legs as a drill. If the skill hits an already downed opponent, they will be blown back. If Ripple-enhanced, Zeppeli will be invincible during the initial jump, the attack's speed will increase, and more hits will be dealt. This skill can also be used in mid-air, and doing so will cause Zeppeli to perform the attack immediately. Zeppeli is able to cancel this skill with a normal or powerful attack.
- Ripple Cutter: Zeppeli spits wine out of his mouth as a disc-shaped projectile with some homing capability. If Ripple-enhanced, he spits out three with augmented homing capabilities, the third of which will send opponents flying.
- EX - Sunlight Yellow Overdrive!: Zeppeli is invincible when executing the skill and the skill will crumple the opponent instead, allowing him to combo from it. This is in addition to the damage benefits granted by the Ripple Gauge. Zeppeli is able to cancel this skill immediately after the kick with a jump.
- EX - Tornado Overdrive!: Zeppeli is invincible until he lands and will finish with a sweeping kick that launches standing opponents into the air.
- You have a reason to risk your life learning this!: Zeppeli must completely fill his Ripple Gauge. (200 Points)
- The ode to humanity is an ode to courage!: Zeppeli must connect the final hit of a Ripple-enhanced Normal attack combo. (200 Points)
- This is Sendo!: Zeppeli must connect "Sunlight Yellow Overdrive!" 3 times. (300 Points)
- Ripple Breathing is born from courage!!: Zeppeli must use any Ripple-enhanced skill five times. Any skill will count as long as he lands five of that same skill. (500 Points)
- Pour in! Ripple of the Sun!: Zeppeli must retire an enemy with a DHA. (800 Points)
Dual Heat Attacks
- Solo - "Hamon of the sun! Sunlight Yellow Overdrive": Zeppeli will leap into the air and come down on a grounded opponent and send the Sunlight Yellow Overdrive through his finger into their abdomen.
- With Jonathan - "Here comes my Hamon!": The two of them attack the opponent's head, sequentially with a Ripple-charged Zoom Punch from Jonathan and a Sendo Wave Kick from Zeppeli, before they charge up and run up to the opponent and unleash a double Sendo Ripple Overdrive-enhanced Zoom Punch into them, the two reciting the phrase commonly associated with Overdrives.
In the campaign's ending, he is shown to have survived his battle against Tarkus and is at Speedwagon's side during Jonathan's battle with Dio.
He is paired with Koichi Hirose in the Eyes of Heaven Tournament, but was eliminated in the preliminaries by Jonathan and DIO.
Diamond Records (Android/iOS)
JoJo's Pitter-Patter Pop! (Android/iOS)
His voice actor, Yoku Shioya reprises his role from the anime and the previous game. All of his voicelines were re-recorded and include new pieces of dialogue.