Johnny Joestar ★ Video Games
A summary of Johnny Joestar's history and movesets in video games.
All-Star Battle (PS3)
Johnny makes his first playable appearance in the PS3 game. He was confirmed alongside Jonathan Joestar and Will Anthonio Zeppeli. As a Part 7 character, three parts of the Holy Corpse appear scattered on stages when he, Gyro, and/or Valentine are being played, which they can pick up to receive blessings that boost their performance in combat. Corpse Parts are obtained by crouching while over them.
Along with Gyro, Johnny is one of the only two characters in the game who uses the "Mounted" Style. This Style allows him to get on and off his horse, Slow Dancer, slightly changing the moves available to him. Johnny must be unmounted in order to pick up the Corpse Parts but is slowed to a sluggish crawl due to his paraplegia. Exclusive to Johnny is a "Tusk's Growth" icon that appears above the Heart Heat Gauge, which displays Tusk's current ACT. Johnny has 950 HP.
Along with Enrico Pucci, Kosaku-Kira, Hol Horse, Koichi Hirose and Giorno Giovanna, Johnny is a character who can utilize more than one Stand during a match as part of his move set, being the character with the most Stand forms: All four Tusk ACTs.
Johnny is capable of battling at range using his variety of nail bullet-related skills to attack the opponent from various distances, trading some speed for power for his individual projectiles and other ranged attacks. When mounted, he gains above-average maneuverability and sizeable normal attacks, as well as a great combo tool in "I can make it!", which coupled with his projectiles make it especially difficult for his opponent to get him into their effective range. The Holy Corpse Parts also offer Johnny boons that naturally enhance his playstyle, the most prominent of which is super armor when utilizing his nail bullets.
However, due to having to manage his nail bullets past ACT1, the need to continuously evolve Tusk to gain access to more of his moveset, and his severe vulnerability unmounted, Johnny is very technical and possesses a dramatically steep learning curve, seen as one of the most difficult characters to grasp. Particularly, being unmounted leaves Johnny a mostly immobile target with short-ranged melee attacks, meaning he is easily overwhelmed if the opponent does not give him the opportunity to return to Slow Dancer's saddle and remain there. Running out of Golden Spin nail bullets also induces a heavy loss of a large majority of his moveset for the time being, thus aggressive overuse of Johnny's special skills can make him even more vulnerable.
While Johnny begins the match rather subpar, steady evolution of Tusk gathers him more and more abilities until he becomes a force capable of performing well and dealing great damage at any range, even up close. Careful application of his resources and maintaining superior mobility, range, and power with Slow Dancer, Tusk at ACT4, and the Holy Corpse Parts makes Johnny an extraordinarily tricky and formidable combatant.
Johnny can summon his horse Slow Dancer to mount it, or dismount and send it away, shifting his movement and available abilities. Slow Dancer improves his mobility, attack range, and power, but receiving knockback will forcibly dismount him. While unmounted, Johnny crawls along the ground at a slow pace, and cannot jump.
If the Style input () is chained from normals while unmounted, 'Quick Mount' is triggered at the cost of Heart Heat, whereby Johnny mounts Slow Dancer much faster and the act of flipping onto his horse can knock the opponent into the air. This provides an easy and quicker method of mounting as well as transitioning Johnny's unmounted combo into a mounted one.
Johnny receives a new blessing for every Holy Corpse Part he holds, but if successfully knocked down, drops the part and loses said blessing.
- Johnny's attack power is boosted, increasing his damage.
- Any of Johnny's skills that fire off nail bullets gain super armor, allowing him to shrug off most attacks aside from Throws/HHA/GHA.
- The rate at which Johnny's Heart Heat Gauge fills is increased.
This skill can only be used when unmounted. Johnny spins his nails and forces his lower body off the ground, temporarily 'wheeling' himself forward or backwards. If used with the opponent at point-blank range, they will take minor damage and stagger. Johnny is also provided brief invulnerability to non-HHA/GHA attacks, allowing him to situationally use this skill for defensive or even reversal purposes.
This skill can only be used when mounted. Slow Dancer lunges forward, and if the opponent is hit, rams them into the air. (Comboable through Puttsun Cancel)
Johnny quickly drinks a cup of chamomile tea, temporarily boosting the speed at which his Golden Spin nails regrow.
Johnny's Throw can only be used while unmounted. Johnny attacks the opponent's lower body by spinning his nails and cutting them. His legs spontaneously jolt to launch him into the air as he fires the nails downward.
Johnny begins a match with ACT1. Most of his moves consists of him shooting off his nails as basic projectiles. Unlike Tusk's later ACTs, all moves related to ACT1 are lost upon Tusk evolving.
Using basic Spin energy, Johnny shoots off his nails like bullets in a salvo forward. Depending on the attack button inputted, he will shoot three-to-five at a time. This skill can be executed while mounted or unmounted. Unlike Tusk's later ACTs, Johnny's basic nails are unlimited as his nails regrow instantly at this stage, but have poor damage and cannot be aimed. (Flash Cancel comboable)
Johnny spins his nails as he swings in an upwards melee attack, knocking the opponent off their feet. This move doubles as an anti-air. (Flash Cancel comboable)
This skill can only be used when unmounted. Johnny sends a narrow shockwave forward along the ground, knocking the opponent down on impact. This move is a low attack and cannot be blocked crouching. (Flash Cancel comboable)
Imbuing the Golden Spin into a nail bullet, Johnny evolves Tusk into ACT2, before firing said nail into the ground. The hole generated by the nail bullet moves along the ground, homing towards the opponent and knocking them into the air if it connects. The HHA is a low attack and cannot be blocked if the opponent is not crouching.
It is possible for Stand Users to be hit by this HHA twice, taking double damage, but the Stand must be hit first in a counterhit order for this to occur.
Once Johnny reaches ACT2, a Tusk Icon will appear above the Heart Heat Gauge, showing the amount of Golden Spin nail bullets he has left from 10. One of the nail icons will darken every time Johnny fires one off, and they will only regenerate after all ten have been spent.
Johnny shoots a single nail bullet infused with the Golden Spin, hitting the opponent for more damage than his previous "I'll call them Tusks!" nail bullets. Depending on the attack button inputted, he will shoot at a different angle:
- Light - Johnny fires downward. Allows Johnny to hit short or crouching opponents while mounted, otherwise only hitting at close range while unmounted.
- Medium - Johnny fires forward. The attack doubles as an anti-air while mounted, but misses most standing characters otherwise.
- Heavy - Johnny fires at an upwards angle. The attack functions as an anti-air while unmounted, but otherwise misses most characters while mounted with the exception of close-ranged juggling purposes.
Johnny fires into the ground, and the hole created by the nail bullet moves forward, homing towards the opponent and knocking them into the air if it connects. This move is a low attack and cannot be blocked crouching.
As the hole moves slower than the nail bullets, it is possible, after traveling a certain distance, for both to be able hit the opponent at the same time. It is also possible for Stand Users to be hit by this move twice, taking double damage, but the Stand must be hit first in a counterhit order for this to occur. (Flash Cancel comboable)
This HHA can only be used while unmounted. Aiming a Golden Spin Nail Bullet at the side of his head, glaring eyes aflame with dark determination, Johnny evolves Tusk into ACT3 as he shoots himself. ACT3 then sends a large hole created by Johnny's nail bullet along the ground with some homing. If it hits the opponent, it will knock them off-balance and continue moving past. Johnny's upper half will then appear out of it as he shoots five Golden Spin nail bullet into them from behind.
Once Johnny reaches ACT3, he unlocks two more abilities that involve transportation via the holes created by Golden Spin Nail Bullets, aiding him in unmounted mobility.
Johnny fires a nail bullet into the ground and sticks his forearm in. If mounted, a hole will be suspended in mid-air next to him. A second hole will begin quickly moving along the ground, either forwards or backwards depending on the attack button inputted, before his forearm appears from it and fires a stronger Golden Spin Nail Bullet. The nail fired deals much greater damage and knocks the opponent off their feet. (Flash Cancel comboable)
This skill consumes two Golden Spin Nail Bullets per use; One to create the hole, and a second to fire in the actual attack. The attack will not complete if Johnny has no more than a single nail left.
This skill can only be used while unmounted. Johnny fires a nail bullet into the ground and sticks his entire upper body into it. Another hole will then move along the ground, either forwards or backwards depending on the attack button inputted, before the rest of Johnny's body is sucked in. He will then reappear on the other side. The longer the button is held, the farther the hole will travel. This skill is useful for quick traversal along the stage unmounted or simply for evasion, but has a delay before the hole begins to move, leaving Johnny's lower half open to low attacks.
This HHA can only be used while mounted. Johnny evolves Tusk into ACT4 as the new Stand is summoned to advance forward while rapidly punching. The whole HHA does not have to hit in order for it to work; If the opponent is struck, even by just the last punch, they will be knocked to the ground as Tusk ACT4 follows up by pummeling them as they lay. This HHA will remain after Tusk evolves to ACT4, being Johnny's final and highest-damaging HHA.
Once Johnny reaches ACT4, he unlocks two more abilities that involve Tusk ACT4 directly attacking the opponent with a barrage of fists, granting him more raw power and improving his ability to engage in close-ranged combat.
Johnny fires a nail bullet imbued with ACT4 as it rapidly punches flying forward a good distance, pushing the opponent away and knocking them down with the final punch if it lands. (Flash Cancel comboable)
Johnny fires a nail bullet imbued with ACT4 into the ground. ACT4 will immediately reappear in front of the opponent and rapidly punch them, regardless of range or orientation. (Flash Cancel comboable)
Johnny's GHA can only be performed while mounted, but will automatically summon Slow Dancer if inputted while unmounted. This GHA can be used when Johnny has Tusk at any ACT, and executing it will evolve it directly to ACT4 regardless if it succeeds or not.
Johnny launches off of Slow Dancer and fires a singular powerful nail bullet imbued with the power of the Complete Golden Spin Energy as ACT4 appears. If it lands, the nail bullet will drill into the opponent's torso, before ACT4 flies at and rapidly pummels them. ACT4 finishes by spinning and funneling itself into the hole created by the nail bullet. As its head appears from behind the opponent, the entrance of the Stand into their bodies generates a massive pink burst. Throughout Tusk's assault, Johnny calmly and quietly thanks Gyro.
Johnny's GHA is altered when used against Valentine. Valentine attempts to protect himself from the Complete Golden Spin Energy nail bullet with D4C Love Train, only for Tusk ACT4 to forcefully rip the dimensional wall open and fly past, recreating the climactic scene from the battle in the manga. When beating Valentine, a slow-motion close-up of Tusk punching D4C in the face and the hit reflecting in Valentine is shown.
If Johnny is hit with "Kosaku Kawajiri's" Bites the Dust GHA while Tusk is at ACT2 or beyond, it will revert back to ACT1.
Usually when falling victim to certain GHA moves or other finishers, Johnny is still kneeling/crawling. However, when struck by Part 4 Josuke's GHA, Johnny is briefly seen standing (Either a result of a different animation for Johnny having not been programmed or Crazy Diamond actually healing his spine and legs) before Josuke pummels him back into paraplegia.
Aside from Gyro and Valentine, Johnny has special dialogue with himself, as both Johnny's believe the other is a parallel version of himself made by Valentine.
Eyes of Heaven (PS3/PS4)
Johnny was confirmed for the game alongside Gyro, Valentine, and THE WORLD Diego. Unlike in All-Star Battle, Johnny now begins battle with all of Tusk's ACTs immediately available, no longer needing to evolve his Stand in order to use his full capabilities.
As a Mounted Fighter, Johnny is able to switch between riding atop Slow Dancer or crawling on the ground, each state with its own unique abilities. Also, as a Stand User, Johnny is one of many characters with wildly varied abilities that grant him uniqueness in battle.
Johnny's Normal Attacks consists entirely of projectiles. He can fire singular Nail Bullets infused with the Golden Spin that send opponents flying.
- Nail Icon: A small icon on the right side of Johnny's health gauge displays how many Nail Bullets he has available out of 10. The Nail Bullets are consumed in nearly all of his attacks and skills, and refill over time. The Nail Bullet count also resets to full upon Johnny activating a Dual Combo or DHA.
- Style Action - Slow Dancer: Johnny switches between Mounted Mode and Ground Mode. While in Mounted Mode, Slow Dancer has above-average mobility and jump height, and Johnny can fire Nail Bullets while moving. However, Johnny's stamina gauge will slowly drain, automatically dismounting him when it empties. While in Ground Mode, Johnny crawls along the floor at a slow pace, but may cancel out of Normal Attacks, Powerful Attacks, or Takedowns by switching back to Mounted Mode when available. He may also only interact with stage objects and grab ledges while in Ground Mode.
- Care for some herbal tea?: This ability is only available in Ground Mode. Johnny briefly drinks chamomile tea, temporarily boosting the speed at which his nails grow back. He may cancel the skill at any time during its animation with a DHA.
- Send me down the hole!: Johnny wields Tusk ACT3's power and fires a Nail Bullet into the ground, before sticking his forearm into the hole it creates. Another hole will then move along the ground at high speed, before Johnny's forearm appears from it and shoots a stronger Golden Spin Nail Bullet, at his lock-on target or the nearest opponent otherwise. If it connects, opponents are left crumpling. The hole is able to travel along both the ground and walls. If Johnny is in Ground Mode, the hole will travel at a slower speed but the Nail Bullet gains better homing capabilities. This skill consumes two Nail Bullets per use; one to create the hole, and a second to fire in the actual Nail Bullet, and as such is unavailable if Johnny has less than two Nail Bullets left.
- The hole will attack you.: Johnny wields Tusk ACT2's power and fires directly into the ground, creating a hole with the Nail Bullet that then begins moving. The hole will home in towards opponents and knock them into the air if it connects. It is also able to travel along both the ground and walls, and can even hit opponents that are down. If Johnny is in Ground Mode, the hole will travel at a slower speed but gains better homing capabilities.
- Who'll be the sacrifice?: This skill is only available in Mounted Mode. Johnny fires a nail bullet imbued with Tusk ACT4 into the ground. If his lock-on target or an opponent is within range, ACT4 will appear directly at their feet and attempt to trip them with an unblockable strike. Upon successfully doing so, the target will be knocked down as ACT4 pummels them with a downward barrage of 8 punches.
- My body just leapt up!: Johnny's legs spontaneously jolt with the power of the Spin, causing him to vault high into the air with a backflip. He can cancel his ascent with a Normal Attack. Johnny also gains super armor until the height of his jump, and opponents too close to him are damaged and knocked into the air right before he takes off, allowing him to freely attack them mid-jump. If done while in Mounted Mode, Johnny will leap from his saddles, giving him extra height for vantage purposes and transitioning him into Ground Mode upon landing. The attack before the leap can even be canceled into a DHA, which guarantees the target is hit. This skill does not require Nail Bullets to perform.
- EX - The hole will attack you.: Johnny gains super armor until the hole begins moving, and no Nail Bullets are consumed for the attack.
- EX - Who'll be the sacrifice?: ACT4 appears instantly, Johnny gains super armor for the duration of the attack if ACT4 is successful, and no Nail Bullets are consumed for the attack.
- I'll call them Tusks!: Johnny must use 20 Normal Attacks. (200 Points)
- I need to master this Spin...: Johnny must use "My body just leapt up!" 3 times. (200 Points)
- But I no longer have any trace of doubt in my mind!: Johnny must break 2 health gauges. (300 Points)
- Lesson 5!: Johnny must connect "Who'll be the sacrifice?" 3 times. (500 Points)
- Thanks. That's all I can think of to say.: Johnny must Retire an opponent with a Dual Heat Attack. (800 Points)
Dual Heat Attacks
- Solo - It was such a long, roundabout path...: Identical to its performance in All-Star Battle, though executes faster for the sake of brevity.
- With Gyro - GO! GO! GO!: The two riding on their horses, Johnny shoots a fingernail while Gyro throws a Steel Ball, both infused with the Golden Spin. As a result, Tusk ACT4 and Ball Breaker fly side-by-side towards the opponent. After Tusk briefly pummels the target, both Stands fly through their midsection as the power of the two Golden Spins generate a massive energy explosion.
Johnny appears in the Steel Ball Run themed stage, along with Gyro Zeppeli and Diego Brando, where Diego can be seen ahead both of them (likely a reference to the end of the competition's third stage).
Johnny appears as a support character. His help Koma provides immunity from the Speed Down status effect. He and Gyro are the only Part 7 representatives in the game as Part 7 was still ongoing at the time. Due to the game's release date coinciding with the release of SBR's first volume, Gyro appears as an actual Koma support (characters that appear on the screen to perform an action and disappear) whilst Johnny is merely a help Koma, due to Gyro being the original protagonist of Part 7.