Shigekiyo Yangu (矢安宮 重清 Yangū Shigekiyo), nicknamed Shigechi (重ちー Shigechī), is a secondary ally featured in the fourth part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Diamond is Unbreakable, specifically in the "'Shigechi's' Harvest" and "Yoshikage Kira Just Wants to Live Quietly" story arcs.
Shigechi is a kid using his Stand, Harvest, to collect money throughout the town, Shigechi befriends Josuke Higashikata and Okuyasu Nijimura. However, he accidentally discovers that Yoshikage Kira is a serial-killer and is killed, prompting Josuke Higashikata and his friend's search for the murderer.
Shigechi is a short and obese teenage boy with youthful features.
Although colored by Araki as having small patches of spiked hair, he appears bald in the digitally colored manga and anime, with his head textured by short spikes. He has thick drooping earlobes and small, high eyebrows. His teeth are misaligned, and he is missing his left maxillary central incisor.
He wears a modified, dark school uniform with studs outlining his chest in two "V"s, and in a line drawn downwards from each angle, touching high points on a serrated cut lining the bottom of his jacket.
Shigechi initially comes off as naive or unintelligent, with little thought for the creative use of his powers beyond gathering lost change. He notably mentioned licking stamps to see if the glue tastes different depending on the stamp, and he keeps a chewing-gum on the back of his mother's photograph to chew on later.
He also appears socially inept, being overjoyed at the thought of having friends in Josuke and Okuyasu and giving them, without a second thought, a share of the spoils he acquired through Harvest, if too much money isn't concerned Shigechi is always friendly. Shigechi also held strong familial loyalty, carrying a picture of his mother wherever he went and when facing Kira, he struggled to escape so he could protect his parents from such a menace. Shigechi tends to act quite politely in front of adults, notably deeply apologizing to Kira for almost colliding with him.
On the other hand, Shigechi's greediness and possessiveness get the better of him. He couldn't bear the thought of sharing the five million yen he, Josuke and Okuyasu acquired through the lottery with them, and stole the check from them, threatening to kill both if they approached. After his eventual reconciliation, he possessiveness still extends to being unwilling to give money to his friends, but lending it; moreover, he was very possessive of his lunch, dropping his polite demeanor for a more confrontational one when he thought Kira was the one to have stolen it. He also had a habit of helping himself with the teachers' coffee and tea stash in order to have free drinks.
Finally, Shigechi has a misplaced pride. On one side, he has a tendency to let praise get to his head, as Josuke and Okuyasu's compliment about the smart way he uses Harvest made him believe he would have been smart enough to think about gathering store coupons or a winning lottery ticket to win more than he would with small change. On the other side, Shigechi takes insults badly and when Okuyasu begins to call him an idiot or fat, he violently retaliates against Okuyasu. He is also fairly arrogant about his abilities, and when squaring off with Josuke and Okuyasu he claimed his Stand was invincible. He made the same mistake with Kira and faced off against him despite not knowing at the time what Kira's deadly Stand powers were, which proved to be his ultimate downfall.
- Main article: Harvest
Shigechi is the user of the stand Harvest, a colony of small, bipedal insect-like creatures that scan the area for objects set for them to fight and retrieve. The main objective Shigechi uses Harvest for is usually gathering money.
Shigekiyo Yangu was born around 1985-1986 and seemingly lived a normal childhood. His parents gave him the nickname Shigechi and he got a pet turtle named Gonta at some point.
Diamond is Unbreakable (1999)
Shigechi develops his Stand, Harvest, during February and uses its nature to collect lost money in the town of Morioh. He claims to have gathered 120,000 yen when he meets Josuke & Okuyasu for the first time.
Shigechi first appears when Josuke Higashikata and Okuyasu Nijimura separately discover Harvest gathering coins. Following the colony of small Stands, the two arrive at a park where Shigechi collects the found coins. At first, Josuke and Okuyasu are unsure whether Shigechi is a malevolent Stand User. However, Shigechi surprises the pair and greets them. The situation is cleared and Shigechi starts presenting who he is to his to fellow Stand Users. Somewhat impressed, Josuke compliments Shigechi on retrieving small change and an overjoyed Shigechi offers half of his money to his new friends. While Okuyasu is more than happy to take free money Josuke insists on not taking advantage of his naivete, but instead work together with Shigechi and then equally share the spoils.
Josuke instructs Shigechi to retrieve lost or cast away store stamps and voucher in order to collect any bonus associated with them, that wat, Shigechi will get half of the money while Josuke and Okuyasu take the rest. The "invincible trio" merrily watches as Harvest accumulates the coupons, allowing Josuke to collect 61,000 yen in bonus. However, Shigechi gets greedy in presence of so much money and decides to only give 10,000 yen as he argues Harvest did all the work. This angers Okuyasu but Josuke reins him in, saying that they must be the adults and have more to gain staying friends with Shigechi.
Josuke throws away a batch of lottery tickets, but Okuyasu stops him as he believes a winning lottery ticket could be there. Both Josuke and Shigechi scoff at the idea and Shigechi even promises Okuyasu half of whatever prize he gets. Soon enough, Okuyasu finds a winning lottery ticket with a prize of 5,000,000 yen. Josuke and Okuyasu are overjoyed, but unbeknownst to them, Shigechi's greed resurfaces.
At the bank, Shigechi, Josuke and Okuyasu try to receive their paycheck. The banker, suspicious about the trio, interrogates them about the ticket and reveals that the real buyer had written his name and phone number on the back. Thankfully, Josuke uses Crazy Diamond to modify the writings, stopping the banker from confirming that the ticker has been bought by someone else. After they exit the bank, Shigechi claims the prize for himself, repeating that Harvest was the one to find the ticket. This time, even Josuke loses patience. Shigechi arrogantly hands Josuke and Okuyasu two 10,000 yen notes as an "act of sympathy" but Okuyasu punches him, takes the paycheck and insults him. In anger, Shigechi retaliates. He summons Harvest who snatches the paycheck and attack Okuyasu's legs. Although Crazy Diamond is powerful enough to easily destroy one Harvest, this does no damage to Shigechi who runs away, threatening to kill the duo if they follow him.
Josuke and Okuyasu pursue Shigechi, whose fatness prevents him from running for long. However, he uses Harvest as a makeshift tank tread, allowing to be carried rapidly over the street and even carried to the roofs of the town. Using teamwork, Josuke and Okuyasu somehow manage to follow him and corner him on a roof. However, Shigechi has Harvest inject alcohol directly in their bloodstream, making them dizzy. Weakened, Josuke and Okuyasu cannot properly defend themselves and are cornered. Okuyasu begs for mercy and shows his money as a payment in exchange for forgiveness. Enticed, Shigechi approaches to take the bills and although he sees through the trick, he's already entered The Hand's range which teleport the ticket back into the duo's hands. Josuke then proceeds to tear the paycheck into tiny pieces and throw all but one piece away. Panicking, Shigechi sends Harvest away from him, allowing Josuke and Okuyasu to beat him.
Josuke and Okuyasu finally manage to talk sense into Shigechi and convince him to split the prize into thirds. The three receive their prize and become firm friends, although Shigechi's greed still annoys his two comrades.
One day, Shigechi buys sandwich from St. Gentleman's. It is stolen from under his nose by a dog and when Shigechi notices that his sandwich is gone, he mistakes Kira's bag for his and takes it, not knowing that Kira's "girlfriend" is inside of it. Kira notices this right away and follows the kid to prevent him from seeing the hand, as he fears that the police could easily trace the ring on it and Kira's fingerprints back to him. Having not left a single clue during his 15-year career as a serial killer, Kira is determined to reclaim his "girlfriend."
Kira follows Shigechi across town until the latter runs into Josuke & Okuyasu again. Shigechi offers to let them into his school's prep room to have the coffee and tea that the gym teacher regularly smuggles into the school, but Josuke & Okuyasu turn him down. Thinking that he can reclaim his "girlfriend" without much trouble, Kira follows Shigechi into his school's prep room and tries to grab the St. Gentleman's bag while Shigechi is busy brewing himself some coffee, but is forced to hide in the gymnastics equipment when Josuke & Okuyasu suddenly join Shigechi, having changed their minds about his offer. While the trio is busy eating lunch, Kira attempts to grab the bag with a straightened-out coat hanger, but drops it, piquing Josuke's curiosity. Just when he is about to investigate the bag, however, Shigechi stops him and accuses him of trying to steal his sandwich. He then leaves again to prepare tea for Josuke & Okuyasu, during which Kira successfully reclaims the bag. Upon noticing that his bag is gone, however, Shigechi sends out Harvest to look for it but is cut short when the gym teacher enters the prep room, driving the three boys out and giving Kira an opportunity to escape without a trace.
Shigechi, however, notices Kira carrying the bag from the same bakery that his sandwich came from, and suspects Kira of having stolen his sandwich. Shigechi tries to take it back with Harvest, but the bag rips open, exposing Kira's "girlfriend." Kira, knowing that he'll probably be exposed, gives Shigechi a monologue on how he wishes to live a quiet life before summoning his own Stand, Killer Queen, aiming to kill Shigechi before the boy can expose him. Kira then sends out his Stand, Killer Queen, to eliminate him before word gets out. However, Shigechi summons his own Stand, Harvest, to try and incapacitate him. Kira deduces from his incident in the school that Josuke and Okuyasu are also Stand users while revealing a 100 yen coin.
Shigechi orders Harvest to take the coin, right before Kira reveals Killer Queen's ability to turn anything it touches into a bomb. The coin explodes, maiming Shigechi but not killing him. After revealing his knowledge of Reimi, Shigechi uses Harvest to distract Kira and hide. He then hobbles to the high school section of the school, aiming to warn Josuke & Okuyasu, but the moment he touches Josuke's classroom's doorknob, Kira detonates the bomb he planted on it, causing Shigechi to explode from the inside-out without leaving a trace. Having managed to leave the group a button from Kira's suit coat, Shigechi's soul is seen ascending by Reimi Sugimoto, and she warns the allied Stand users of his fate.
Chapters / Episodes
- “I found itǃ (ミツケタゾ！Mitsuketa zoǃ)”—Harvest
- “As long as y'all be with me, my little Harvests, I'll never run outta money...for my whole life!”
- “Yeah! We are the invincible trio!”
- “You won't get nothin'! Not a single yen! Yer Stands are poo! Worth less than a stinky fart! We only got the 5 million because of Harvest!”
- “Y'all can't do anything against Harvest... Want proof? Absolute proof? I'll give you proof!”
- “I hate bein' made fun of! "Fatass, stupid pig", all these names... I'll make y'all regret mocking me!”
- “Josuke! (仗助！Jōsuke!)”
Creation and Development
Shigechi was the 2nd DLC character to be announced for the game. Despite being one of the mass majority of playable characters in the game with the "Stand" Style, Shigechi cannot turn Harvest on/off, nor does he have access to the Stand Rush ability returning from the Capcom game.
In order to change movesets, Shigechi can switch between Offensive Formation and Defensive Formation, which dictates some of the skills he can use and changes Harvest's combat capabilities. Shigechi has 900 HP.
Shigechi has some unique interactions when fighting Yoshikage Kira:
- If Shigechi is placed in a match against Kira in his Kosaku Kawajiri form, the latter will express horror at seeing Shigechi alive and well again, believing he had killed him.
- If Shigechi is defeated by Kira, he will screamingly call for Josuke, just like his final words prior to his death.
Shigechi was confirmed for the game alongside Kira and Akira Otoishi. He is still voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi, despite having previously voiced Forever in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders. As a Stand User, Shigechi is one of many characters with wildly varied abilities that grant him uniqueness in battle. His playstyle from All Star Battle, involving the use of Harvest to enhance or alter his abilities, returns.
- Style Action - Harvest: Shigechi summons a Harvest unit. He can have up to 3 units active at a time, and the number of active units affect the properties of his skills. Harvest is represented in "Stocks", holding up to a maximum of 7 and refilling over time. Using skills that consume Harvest units will subtract from the available Stock count accordingly; Shigechi cannot summon more Harvest units if he has 0 Stocks. The speed and distance of Shigechi's Homing Dash increases when more Harvest units are active.
- Harvest Stock Icon: A small icon on the right side of Shigechi's health gauge shows how many Stocks of Harvest units he has available, including active units.
- I can get anything I want!: Shigechi sends Harvest out to obtain a different object depending on how many Harvest units are used.
- None - Two construction pipes will fall on Shigechi's target's head from anywhere on the stage, otherwise targeting the nearest opponent.
- One - The pipes become unblockable, deal more damage, and knock the opponent down hard enough for them to bounce.
- Two - Harvest brings Shigechi a bag of St. Gentleman's, restoring a small amount of health.
- Three - Harvest brings Shigechi a wad of yen bills, filling the Dual Heat Gauge by a small amount and giving JoJo Points directly to the player.
- I poured it right into your veins!: Shigechi sends Harvest running forward (flying at his target if in midair) to damage opponents that are hit. The more Harvest units used, the longer the attack's range. If at least one Harvest unit is used, the Harvests will latch onto the target and temporarily inflict a status effect so long as they are attached, with more Harvest units adding more effects; Opponents can be Poisoned (causing gradual health loss), Sealed (disabling the use of skills), or Slowed (reducing movement speed greatly); If three Harvest units are used, all three effects are inflicted.
- I was blinded by my own greed.: Shigechi stops to contemplate. This temporarily boosts the restoration rate of Harvest Stocks, but is followed by a short period of the opposite effect afterward.
- EX - I can get anything I want!: Both opponents are attacked by falling construction pipes regardless of the number of Harvest units active, and Shigechi gains super armor (or unflinching to enemy attacks) in the later portion of the skill's animation. No Harvest Stocks are consumed, but all active Harvest units are reset.
- EX - I poured it right into your veins!: The skill executes quicker, reaches its maximum range, and all three status effects are inflicted regardless of the number of Harvest units active. No Harvest Stocks are consumed, but all active Harvest units are reset.
- Trait - If you come any closer...: If two or more Harvest units are active, Shigechi is able to use his Stand to carry himself up certain walls and columns around the stage, granting him the ability to reach different areas of stages without needing to travel the conventional routes, or simply avoid attacks. Holding this activating button will allow him to climb higher, and he is able to attack from his vantage points. Shigechi climbs faster when three units are active.
- Dual Heat Attack - You want proof? Here it is!: Identical to its performance in All Star Battle, though executes faster for the sake of brevity.
- No one can beat my Harvest!: Shigechi must use his Style Action 5 times. (200 Points)
- I can get anything I want!: Shigechi must use "I can get anything I want!" 5 times. (200 Points)
- You keep chasing me and I'll kill you!: Shigechi must survive the first 10 counts of the battle timer without taking damage. (300 Points)
- Mess with me and you're gonna get hurt!: Shigechi must perform a Dual Combo Finish. (500 Points)
- Don't underestimate Harvest!: Shigechi must Retire an opponent while the effects of "I was blinded by my own greed." are active. (800 Points)
JoJo's Pitter-Patter Pop! (Android/iOS)
In the light novel JORGE JOESTAR, an iteration of Shigechi appears in the 37th universe, named Shigetaka Yangu (矢安宮 重孝 Yangū Shigetaka). Like his original universe counterpart, he is also nicknamed "Shigechi". Shigetaka wields the Stand Stray Dog, allowing him to control all of the stray dogs that are in town.
Shigetaka bears a resemblance to the original universe Shigechi but with ordinary proportions. He has an average height and his face is not as chubby. His eyes and ears are sized normally, his eyebrows are thin and directly above his eyes, and none of his teeth are missing. Shigetaka is bald, but rather than having several spikes on his head, he has small, pointed tufts of hair circling around his head. He wears a school uniform jacket studded with small beads and a striped shirt underneath it.
One of Shigetaka's dogs comes back carrying a hand in his mouth one day. The nail polish on the woman's hand is unusual enough that Shigetaka and his friends, Koji Hirose, 37Muryotaisu Nijimura, and 37Fukashigi Nijimura, are able to figure out where the nail polish was sold. They learn that it had been purchased by a man, which the store owner thought was unusual enough and remembered his name, 37Yoshikage Kira. The hand belonged to a woman that Kira killed and had been toying with. 37
Koji is the first to find Kira and nearly dies until the Nijimura brothers arrive to help. However, Kira manages to escape and forces Aya Tsuji to use her Stand 37Face/Off to switch his appearance with a random passerby. Kira then kills Aya as well as Shigetaka as a warning not to interfere with him.
- In Araki's top Ten Favorite Characters in 2000, Shigechi was ranked ninth, listed just above DIO at #10 and being one of three Diamond is Unbreakable characters featured in the list.