Rikiel is a young, decently built man with a long face. He has dark hair styled into several dreadlocks. He wears a sleeveless and hooded bodysuit patterned after the hide of a stereotypical cow with an opening on his chest, similarly to the suit of his brother, Giorno Giovanna. He wears an assortment of arm warmers with the same cow hide pattern.
Along with his brothers, Rikiel inherits the Joestar birthmark from his father.
Rikiel is initially a meek youth distraught by the numerous afflictions he suffers from, causing him to have no hope for his future and a damaged spirit. He spent his life disturbed by an unknown affliction with seemingly random symptoms: his eye-lids would close, it'd become hard to breath and he'd start panicking as a result. Rikiel is riddled with anxiety in his first encounter with Pucci, and immediately breaks down infront of the Priest.
When Pucci unlocks his Stand Sky High, Rikiel becomes more confident and is seen evolving into an honorable and brave fighter during his fight with Jolyne. He holds human progress in high esteem and sees Apollo 11 as a symbol of human growth. Rikiel is a man of honor and fights to repay his debt to Pucci, and when Jolyne defeats him, he congratulates her and reveals details about Pucci. He inherited his father DIO's determination and hardcore actions as well as a rare trait of acknowledging a worthy opponent.
- Main article: Sky High
Sky High allows Rikiel to control creatures known as flying rods which absorb body heat and create localized illnesses.
Prior to meeting Pucci and obtaining a Stand, Rikiel suffered from what seemed to be constant panic attacks: his eyelids constantly fell and his knees gave out. He would attempt to take exams in school, only to suffer from his conditions, which caused him to stop attending school. These conditions were so severe that he wasn't even able to drive a car, and this dramatically decreased his self-confidence.
Fate pushed him into meeting the priest in Orlando when, after driving against the traffic and colliding with the dividing rail, he was brought to the hospital and crossed paths with Pucci. Rikiel learns from Pucci that he is a son of DIO. He begs Pucci to open his eyelid, which closes for no apparent reason. Rikiel then begins to lament his whole life, which was ruined by his lack of confidence and his strange illnesses. Pucci listens, then tells Rikiel to think of his lineage, stating that he has a purpose in life and uncovers his ability to control organisms named skyfishes, or rods. This allows Rikiel to regain control of his eye and a confident Rikiel leaves the hospital to attack the Joestar Group.
Battle Against Jolyne Cujoh & Ermes Costello
Rikiel finds Jolyne, Ermes and Emporio flying above the swamps and sics his rods on their helicopter, forcing their eyes to shut. They are forced to jump out of the helicopter and Rikiel confronts them. Jolyne and Ermes approach Rikiel, ready to fight, although Rikiel knows it will be to his advantage. However Jolyne and Ermes work out quickly why Rikiel is trying to lure them closer, and discover one of his weaknesses. Disturbed, Rikiel's bad luck begins to reappear as his bike is sinking in the mud and the loses his keys. Ermes uses Kiss to throw pebbles at Rikiel, but the skyfishes deviate them. However, those pebbles where doubles Kiss created and Ermes manages to hit Rikiel's head from two sides as she detaches the stickers. Overwhelmed by the multiple rocks Jolyne and Ermes throw at him, Rikiel begins to lose his confidence: his illnesses come back and the skyfishes stay still in the air, deprived of their master. Yet, Rikiel finds his keys, and manages to control the rods again, stopping Ermes from throwing any more rocks by manipulating her hands indirectly. Confident again, Rikiel rants about Apollo 11's symbol as a triumph of the human spirit and inflicts new ailments on the heroes. Rikiel's attack cause Emporio to urinate blood while Ermes's fingers are falling off. Jolyne rushes toward Rikiel trying to punch the skyfishes, but they effortlessly avoid Stone Free's strikes. Jolyne's ankle joint suddenly bends backward, immobilizing her. Rikiel then begins to toy with Ermes, forcing her to say thanks to the skyfishes. However, Emporio deduces that the skyfishes are able to suck off body heat, causing illnesses and controlling the muscles from the outside that way. Rikiel takes Emporio and Ermes out of commission, making their eyes and throat swell while damaged tissues is spat out of their mouths. Rikiel plans to attack Jolyne's brain stem where a temperature loss will be fatal.
A swarm of skyfishes rush toward Jolyne's first vertebrae, but Jolyne decides to set herself on fire, protecting the brain stem from the heat sucking rods. Stone Free lands a punch, sending Rikiel against his motorcycle, but also revealing Rikiel's Joestar Birthmark, to everyone's astonishment. Planning to interrogate Rikiel later, Jolyne runs forward to finish off the enemy, but Rikiel douses himself with gas, and sets himself on fire too. Out of sheer resolve, and determined to find a weakness, Rikiel stands in front of Jolyne as his body is burning. Rikiel's new condition allows him to see a new weakness, he sends his rods into Jolyne's mouth, targeting the hypothalamus near the inside of the upper jaw to disrupt the eye perception and cause afterimages. That way, he is able to induce hallucinations in Jolyne and avoids her attacks for a moment. However Jolyne decides to shut her mouth and simply stop breathing, trusting the mystic sense of the Joestar Family to detect Rikiel, and lands a kick. Jolyne, still on fire, has managed to strike Rikiel thanks to her determination. Stone Free violently pummels Rikiel but surprisingly, Rikiel catches Jolyne by her neck. Rikiel declares that he will be the most determined in this fight and severed his own nerves to not feel pain, meaning he won't fall until he dies; planning to finish with a draw and have both dying, Rikiel lashes out the skyfishes into Jolyne's neck, which is not in fire anymore. Jolyne continues to pummel Rikiel as the rods suck her body heat, and both collapse. The rods, without their master, now leave in the sky.
Rikiel slowly stands up, but feels defeated, having seen that his hand protected Jolyne's neck. Jolyne stands up too, while Rikiel finally falls to the ground for good. She reveals that she couldn't calculate that Rikiel's hand would shield her, and she won out of luck. Rikiel questions that dumb luck favored Jolyne, and also feels fulfilled for having gone beyond his limits. Rikiel announces that Jolyne will play a role serving Pucci's goal, as she is favored by destiny. Rikiel then reveals that Weather is Pucci's younger brother, but is interrupted when Kiss puts him out of commission and Ermes refuses to believe that Weather is linked to Pucci, violently punching his head against the ground. The skyfish leave Rikiel's side.
Chapters / Episodes
- “Up 'till now, I couldn't even drive, you know ..? Couldn't even drive a car as I struggled to concentrate, my eyelieds would start fluttering... it became harder and harder to breathe... but... now I can concentrate without that happening... just enough for me to attack a helicopter.”
- “July, 1969, Armstrong from Apollo 11 became the first man to stand on the surface of the moon... until now, I didn't know what was so special about that. Because in reality, the rockets are really flown by scientists and engineers, right? Any monkey could go to the moon. But when I first saw those rods, I finally understood why it was so important... what truly stood on the moon that day was the human spirit! That day, we humans conquered the moon, and our spirit evolved!”
- “Spiritual growth is what's truly valuable! (価値のあるものは「精神の成長」なんだッ！Kachi no aru mono wa 'seishin no seichō' nanda!)”
- “If you're trying to hinder the priest from his spiritual growth, then I'll kill you all with the hatred of a thousand burning flames! (おまえらが神父の成長を邪魔するというのならッ オレは熱して鉄のよな憎しみとともにおまえらを始末するだろうッ！！Omae-ra ga shinpu no seichō o jama suru to iu no nara... ore wa nesshite tetsu no yona nikushimi to tomoni omae-ra o shimatsu suru darou!!)”
- “All three of you at once. Jolyne Cujoh, you're next, but I'll eventually kill all three of you at once. My rods can do it.”
- “Kid... You a knowledgeable doctor? (小僧…おまえ物知り博士か？Kozō... omae monoshiri hakase ka?)”
- “I'll absorb the heat from your first cervical vertebrae, behind your neck. Take this! I've found my target! (「体温」は首のうしろ第1頸椎骨より奪う くらえッ！狙いはついたぁああ'Taion' wa kubi nō shiro dai-ichi keitsuikotsu yori ubau. Kurae! Nerai wa tsuita)”
- “I will grow further! The important thing is to grow and be blessed! (オレは成長するッ…！！大切のは成長して祝福される事だッ！Ore wa seichō suru...!! Taisetsu no wa seichō shite shukufuku sareru koto da!)”
- “My heart is like Apollo 11... I'm going to overcome you...”
- “I'm the victor!! Not you! I overcame my own heart! I'll never panic again... I'm going to reclaim my life, with my hands! I'm Apollo 11!!”
- “The strongest power in the world... it definitely doesn't come from calculation. And that's how destiny is formed...”
- “Everything is to guide the priest to his ultimate destiny, to attain... Heaven.”
Rikiel appears in Eyes of Heaven as a support. He has one voice line, performed by Takashi Kondō.