He is the mastermind behind the Locacaca Organization, using his Stand to act as the TG University Hospital's hospital director, Satoru Akefu. Alongside the hospital director, Toru disguises himself as an ordinary part-time medical student at the hospital. Toru's main motive is to develop a revolutionary medicine through the New Locacaca with the goal of restructuring the balance of power in society.
He is eventually revealed to be a Rock Human and a Stand user, wielding the calamity-inducing Wonder of U, an automatic Stand which causes anyone who thinks of pursuing either the Stand itself or Toru to endure a calamity.
Toru appears to be a slim man on the shorter side, being just slightly taller than Yasuho. He has curly hair styled in a very round afro on his head, which gradually changes from a smaller, looser curly afro to a larger, more solid looking elliptical one in later appearances. The afro features two swirls on either side. In later depictions, these swirls are two ends of the same line, rather than being separate.
He wears a dark vest over a sweatshirt, which has long sleeves patterned with triplets of thick black lines intersecting each other. On the right breast of the vest, there's a symbol for the letter "S" with a sun pattern surrounding it. A similar yet smaller "S" can be located on the crotch area of his pants, although this "S" is missing in later depictions. On either shoulder of his sweatshirt are two bright teddy bears. His pants have a floral pattern on them, showing what appear to be grape vines and leaves.
During his first appearance, he wears a white laboratory coat. He is frequently seen with earphones on as well as a music player.
Toru is a callous and mysterious individual who directs the Locacaca Organization from the shadows. He uses a friendly charade as a means to disguise himself and drive away suspicion.
Like many Rock Humans, Toru has grown to develop antisocial tendencies as a result of the first 17 years of his life being defined by solitude. While he's able to conduct himself personably and often behaves in a casual, upbeat manner, Toru's authentic personality has an incredible sense of ruthlessness to it. This is best demonstrated by his particularly dangerous misfortune-based Stand ability, as well as his general apathy to the suffering of those around him.
Toru is extremely ambitious and knowledgeable in both technology and medicine. However, he has a history of feeling as though his youthful appearance serves as a roadblock in his ability to live up to his full potential. Notably, he attempted to pitch an innovative new idea to several prominent tech companies only to be dismissed as a result of his perceived age and presumed lack of experience. As he explains to Yasuho, this caused him a period of prolonged anxiety and frustration over the idea that his life was going by without any achievements to his name. However, whether that story is true or not, Toru uses the stolen identity of Satoru Akefu as a cover to maintain influence and power as the director of the TG University Hospital and his own covert organization of Rock Humans. Toru's main project is the cultivation of the Locacaca and the creation of revolutionary medicine that would secure him global influence; up-ending the balance of society and placing his species at the top. His organization set up a profitable scheme by healing the wealthy with the Locacaca. His research team works towards advancing the Locacaca's properties, by creating the Locacaca6251, and pursuing the new Locacaca. The new Locacaca presents a great opportunity for the group, as Toru muses about the riches and the power he could secure by exploiting the new fruit's Equivalent Exchange.
Toru has a somewhat unusual affection for Yasuho. It is shown that he met her when she was a little girl and she unwittingly helped him find someone to impersonate. Toru enjoyed his conversation with her, and hoped to meet again. Later, he developed a relationship with her as a teenager but seemingly split apart so Toru could pursue his true goals. Upon his introduction, Toru wished to rekindle his relationship with Yasuho. Having previously grown apart due to his aforementioned period of poor mental health, Toru is not only friendly but also flirty with her. For instance, he doesn't hesitate to touch her in an intimate manner and isn't disturbed that Yasuho openly rejects his advances, being sure that she has feelings for him. He occasionally teases her too, openly reminding her of their experiences together. Toru's affection results in his relative mercy towards Yasuho, as when she confronts him, Toru takes the time to warn her about his powers and proposes that she walks away to stay safe. However this mercy doesn't go further than simple warnings, as he's willing to sacrifice Yasuho's body during an exchange to heal his own injuries. Even at the very end Toru attempts to appeal to Yasuho's emotions as he slowly crumbles away, and completely loses his composure when she stands idly.
As the leader of the Locacaca Organization, Toru is deceptive with his Stand being adept at impersonating Satoru Akefu's identity; all while also playing a role as an ordinary part-time worker in TG University Hospital. This entire charade requires Toru to act relatively normal, cheeky and altruistic to those around him in order to appear harmless yet believable, such as prompting to help Yasuho find Josuke to tell him to go to the 3rd floor of the Hospital, "helping" Josuke pinpoint where the hospital director was standing during a chase, and even promising Yasuho that he'll testify on behalf of Josuke after a sudden "accident" involving Josuke and a hospital patient. Toru keeps up the act, until he realizes what Josuke, Yasuho, and Rai were trying to do, and opts to "coincidentally" bump into them multiple times in an attempt to slow them down and prevent them from getting to the hospital director. When the location of the New Locacaca is revealed, Toru drops the charade completely. He goes on to be a consistently stoic and goal-oriented enemy, eliminating those who get in his way with little to no care about who it is he has to kill and how much destruction he'll cause in the process in order to secure the fruit and ensure the success of his organization's goal.
Toru is a cautious fighter who avoids risks, and prioritizes his safety above all else. He holds absolute confidence in his Stand's ability to defeat anyone. Toru repeatedly warns his pursuers about its effects, and uses it's bizarre nature to goad enemies into activating it. However, after being injured by Josuke's bubbles he senses potential danger and decides to call back Wonder of U. Toru is fairly resourceful, his stand is equipped with a few rock insects that he releases in-order to fend off Josuke and Rai. Despite injury, Toru can persevere and make quick decisions to put himself back at the advantage. When Josuke succeeds in landing his new-found ability, he immediately consumes the New Locacaca to perform an exchange on Yasuho to heal his injuries. Even when he's surrounded and deeply wounded, Toru has the presence of mind to try and taunt Kaato Higashikata about her son to goad her into attacking him, although his ploy doesn't work as intended.
Due to his long life-cycle Toru adapts a perspective on life based on memories and dreams. He compares himself to a rock on-top of others, being a witness to the dreams and memories of others long past. Toru asserts that at the end of all things, these memories and dreams last forever. He projects this belief onto others, seen with him taunting Kaato about her own legacy of cruelty and the death of her son's dreams. In his dying moments Toru imagines a hornet, and recalls it as a memory of his before completely disintegrating into the wind.
- Main article: Wonder of U
Toru is a Rock Human, as well as the user of the Stand Wonder of U. Wonder of U's primary power lies in its ability to manipulate the "laws of calamity", a universal force of karmic retribution. It also has the ability to take on the form of a seemingly normal human known as Satoru Akefu and can project itself onto transparent surfaces to travel long distances, both of which can be seen and interacted with by people who do not possess Stands. Wonder of U's ability is automatic, triggered simply by the target "pursuing" itself or its user, and it is sensitive enough to activate if someone is simply questioning why its human guise is nearby. Wonder of U's "calamities" always inflict grievous harm on its targets from causing traumatic injuries from mundane and otherwise harmless causes. Its range is unknown, but appears to be practically infinite, as Josuke and Rai Mamezuku have both been affected by its powers despite being nowhere near its user or the Stand's body.
• Tech-Savvy: As a hospital employee, Toru is inferred to be very knowledgeable when it comes to technological crafting and regenerative medicine, and has an innovative outlook in life that he takes sincere pride in. He once mentioned to Yasuho about the idea of a wireless electromagnetic induction that he came up with, a battery duct that lets phones and other devices charge without the need of using any sort of wires and electrical outlets, as electricity simply bounces off in the sky and in between two devices. He also invented the technologically advanced medicine, Locacaca 6251, alongside his subordinates within the research group of his own organization.
Toru, like other Rock Humans, was abandoned by his mother as a newborn and left in the wilderness. He shortly after infiltrated a wasp nest to continue his physical development. Approximately 17 years later, he rapidly matured into his adult body, killing the wasp colony in the process. He made up his own name, as with other Rock Humans, however his last name is unknown, and it is unknown if he stole the identity of another human or not. He then travelled to Morioh and entered society undetected.
Some time in 1941, as Lucy Steel investigates a mysterious land in Morioh, she and Joseph Joestar are caught up by a Guard Rail attacking them. As they run away, Lucy spots Toru in the distance planting a Locacaca in a pot, before walking away.
Roughly ten years before the events of JoJolion, Toru meets a young Yasuho Hirose, who was a little girl at that time. Noticing how she used her Stand Paisley Park to search through her mother's phone, Toru impresses her by scraping two rocks together to make a fire while assuaging her doubts about him. Toru asks for a favor and tells her to help him find someone, stating that he doesn't know their name but that he knows they are elderly with a medical license and that they live alone and are isolated from their family. Yasuho finds him a suitable person for his Stand to impersonate, Satoru Akefu. Toru gives Yasuho the rocks to impress the other children at Yasuho's summer camp and disappears into the trees, wishing to meet Yasuho again after she'll have forgotten about him.
It can be inferred that he began impersonating Satoru Akefu with his Stand Wonder of U after that.
Toru and Yasuho were revealed to have dated in High School, although it is unknown why Toru decided to attend the institution. Yasuho never learned his last name in their time together. According to himself, Toru created a device that could charge other electronic devices via electromagnetic induction and brought the idea to several companies like Apple, Huawei or Softbank. However they all rejected his idea because of his youth and inexperience. He then became a part-time worker at TG University Hospital at an undisclosed date.
Toru, along with his colleague Wu Tomoki, attempt to meet with Poor Tom to retrieve the grafted Locacaca branch. They disguise as ambulance drivers and arrive at the Higashikata orchard. As Poor Tom approaches the ambulance that Wu and Toru are in, he is suddenly struck down by a calamity because of his "pursuit" for Toru, killing him instantly. While the two manage to grab the branch after leaving Poor Tom behind, they are tricked by Jobin and Tsurugi Higashikata into getting an ordinary pear branch instead. They realize it was someone else other than Josuke and Poor Tom who lit the orchard on fire and that the other party now has the real Locacaca branch.
Toru encounters Yasuho during her confrontation with Wu Tomoki at TG University Hospital. He teases Yasuho about their previous relationship, but otherwise, the two are on good terms, as he is shown following through his promise to relay her message through to Josuke.
Afterward, Toru repeatedly crosses paths with her as Yasuho follows Josuke and Rai across the hospital. Each time, he flirts with Yasuho and tries to remind her of their time together. He ultimately calls Yasuho and leaves a message declaring his love for her and says he wants to get together again. When Josuke gets into trouble after being accused of murdering a patient who died near him, Toru reassures Yasuho as he promises to testify in favor of Josuke.
Toru later meets Yasuho by the doorsteps of her house. After a speech about Toru's aspirations and relationship regrets, Toru asks her again to get back together but Yasuho is distracted by her investigation. Toru offers his help and shows Yasuho a photograph of Satoru Akefu. Having seen the doctor's face, as well as confirming a link between him and Mitsuba, Yasuho decides to go to the Higashikata House.
Toru doesn't accompany Yasuho but instead eats fast food for lunch. Yasuho calls him and asks him for help since she's injured at the Higashikata estate. Toru says that he'll call an ambulance but Yasuho refuses, saying that she has a way to heal herself. Intrigued, Toru departs for the Higashikata estate. Once there, Toru ignores Yasuho's suffering and simply observes the estate from the surrounding forest while listening to music. When Satoru realizes Josuke's plan of "inviting" the hospital director to come to him, Toru shows great intrigue at the sudden development.
Joshu comes out of the house with the Locacaca plant in his hands and Toru retreats into the forest to remain unseen. Observing Joshu and Yasuho, Toru decides to let Yasuho eat the fruit to confirm its power. Plus, he doesn't feel threatened by her. While hiding, Toru makes some noise, and unwittingly allows Yasuho to realize that he's her enemy.
Yasuho confidently claims that he is the user of the calamity-causing Stand and a rock human. She dwells on their strange past together such as their first meeting when a young Yasuho was out with her troop. Toru tells Yasuho that he appreciates her and has fond memories with her, warning her about the danger of her seeing him, since it would activate a calamity, killing her instantly. He then goes on explaining how the Higashikatas are already under this affect, as well as Rai and Josuke who he claims will die soon as well. Yasuho takes Joshu's phone and begins scrolling through the contacts. Toru again warns her, asking for outsider assistance would count as a pursuit and lead her to be the first to die. Yasuho continues with her action and Toru states that Yasuho has changed the order of death, meaning that she will die through calamity soon.
Toru tells Yasuho that she is going to die next, but Yasuho doesn't listen to him and continues to talk with Kei Nijimura in order to find Josuke. Moments later, Toru receives a wound to the head thanks to the combination of Soft & Wet's bubbles and Born This Way's wind power. Toru realizes that there is indeed a hidden power in Soft & Wet's bubbles.
Wounded, Toru thinks about the nature of the attack. Sure that the "flow of calamity" uses the logic of this world to return any pursuit back at his foes in the form of a calamity, he realizes that Josuke's bubbles contains something from out of this world that isn't subject to the world's logic. Seeing that Josuke is too dangerous, Toru decides to make his Stand leave the hospital even though he wishes to finish off Josuke. Toru also reveals himself and confronts Yasuho, asking her to hand him the new Locacaca to prevent the calamity that will kill Yasuho from destroying it. Joshu, who has regained his senses, stands up and threatens Toru, who remains unimpressed. The three of them spot something falling from the sky towards them. Toru guesses that it is the incoming calamity and thus grabs Yasuho to insist she gives her the pot. Joshu thus tries to attack Toru, but a falling leaf cuts two of his fingers. Overcome with pain, Joshu trips on Yasuho, allowing Toru to take the potted Locacaca. Toru then says his farewell to Yasuho.
As Josuke keeps shooting bubbles at Wonder of U, Paisley Park suddenly transports one invisible bubble with it from the hospital to the house via the cell phone connection. The invisible bubble flies towards Toru, disappearing and reappearing inside of his abdomen. This attack knocks away Toru with the Locacaca pot and stops Wonder of U's calamity, saving Yasuho from the approaching plane panel that hits the Higashikata house instead. Josuke explains to Yasuho over the phone that the bubble from his shoulder cannot be controlled, but has an "invisible spin", and it was with Paisley Park's help that he was able to overcome the calamity using this profound ability. At the same time, Toru gets back up and eats the remaining Locacaca fruit and runs towards Yasuho, bleeding out from his injury. Joshu attempts to stop him but a rain gutter strikes him on his head knocking him out. Toru reaches Yasuho preparing to perform the exchange, but just in-time, Yasuho aims the phone at him and another invisible bubble shoots out piercing his chest and throat. Toru is sent flying again, hitting a car and landing on the garage floor, he crawls towards the door in the garage where a mourning Kaato Higashikata stands. Toru crawls on the ground bleeding profusely, looking straight ahead at Kaato and planning to use her anger to bring out his ability. She begins to explain her stew recipe, which was Jobin's favorite. Toru grabs a nearby saw and slowly gets back up. He begins to monologue about rocks atop the coastal cliffs, the memories and dreams it experiences. He taunts Kaato about her son's dreams and desires, how they never came to fruition. He attempts to stab Kaato but gets caught up in her Stand's ability Space Trucking, the cards pin Toru down and Wonder of U appears floating outside the garage. However, Kaato has no real intention to harm and instead begins to explain her ability. Toru's bewildered about her true motives and questions her goals. When Kaato begins to open her deck of cards he immediately notices something between them and begins to panic. He demands to know what's between her cards, and Kaato answers that it's her family's curse. The deck is open and between those cards is Tsurugi Higashikata suffering from the Rock Disease. Tsurugi makes contact with Toru and the equivalent exchange begins, Kaato's intentions are revealed. She came to the garage to perform an exchange on Toru to cure Tsurugi.
The process of the exchange begins, despite having eaten the Locacaca fruit first Toru still succumbs to the equivalent exchange. Kaato reveals the crushed branches within her cards, and pours the sap into Tsurugi's mouth. Wonder of U attempts to attack Kaato but it begins to crumble alongside Toru. In desperation he begins to plead, arguing that the fruit is divine providence and begging Kaato to stop. Kaato brushes away his pleas, determined to cure Tsurugi's illness and bear this sin. Toru begins to crumble further begs Yasuho to stop Kaato by reminding her of their previous relationship. Yasuho doesn't act and continues to watch. In his last moments, Toru hallucinates seeing a hornet and crumbles away. Despite his death however, the calamity still manages to injure Kaato and is capable of manifesting as Wonder of U in Norisuke's mouth but fortunately, Josuke Higashikata comes to the scene and eliminates Wonder of U with his newfound ability, blasting the Calamity to bits.
Toru's main relationship in JoJolion's story is with his ex-girlfriend, Yasuho Hirose, but he does have connections to the rest of the main group.
- Yasuho Hirose: Toru's most well explored relationship is the one he has with his ex-girlfriend, Yasuho Hirose. In his initial appearance, Toru is surprised to see Yasuho in the TG University Hospital. He also teases her about their past relationship and questions Yasuho's connection to Josuke. As more information about Toru is revealed, it becomes clear that Toru's affection for Yasuho is quite unusual. Originally meeting Yasuho as a young child, he manipulates her and her dormant Stand ability in order to steal the identity of Satoru Akefu, an elderly doctor, for his personal goals. Later on in life, Toru begins dating a now teenager Yasuho in high school, although the two separate a while later. Despite this, after remeeting Yasuho, Toru shows a desire to rekindle his relationship with Yasuho, not afraid to be intimate with her despite their now platonic relationship. Considering all of this, Toru shows Yasuho a unique degree of mercy once his true nature is revealed, seemingly willing to let her walk away from the calamity-affected Higashikata household to stay safe. Although, once Toru is in a life-or-death situation, he didn't mind using Yasuho's body in order to save himself in an equivalent exchange, showing that even this mercy doesn't go a lot further than simple warnings.
- Locacaca Organization: Toru's control over the various members of the Locacaca Organization, mainly the research team, and their exact relationship is never fully shown, but considering Poor Tom's sudden demise due to the pursuit of Toru, it can be inferred that Toru didn't care much for the lives of his comrades, sacrificing them once their usefulness to his own goals runs out.
- Josuke Higashikata: Despite their opposing roles in JoJolion's story, Toru and Josuke rarely meet each other directly, with the former's Stand being the one to interact with Josuke most of the time. In their initial meeting, Toru finds Josuke in the hospital in order to deliver him a message from Yasuho, and later on, he also "helps" Josuke, Yasuho and Rai Mamezuku with their pursuit of the Hospital Director. (Although his "help" is part of his own attack on the group, making them pursue the Director in order to trigger his ability's calamity manipulation against them.) Due to Toru's past relationship with Yasuho, Josuke is initially wary of Toru and his still-present affection for Yasuho, questioning his actions and his interference with their pursuit of the Hospital Director. Later on, through his Stand, Wonder of U, Toru shows Josuke a more taunting side of his personality, goading Josuke into attacking his Stand to trigger his ability.
- Rai Mamezuku: Toru and Rai never meet directly beyond very small interactions in Toru's initial appearances, but the former has had a large impact on Rai's life than what initially meets the eye. In Josuke and Rai's fight against Toru's Wonder of U, the Stand reveals that its calamity as well as Rock insects were the reason for the death of both of Rai's parents, enraging Rai and sending him into a thoughtless attack against the Stand, ending in his death.
- Kaato Higashikata: Despite meeting only once, Toru knows everything about Kaato's past, having to carry the burden of being the black sheep of the family which resulted from her undying will to save Jobin from the rock disease, Toru uses Kaato's unstable relationship with her family and Jobin's failed attempt to rid the Higashikata lineage of the disease in order to escape the situation he was in after he gets injured by Josuke's Go Beyond bubbles and being sorrounded & cornered by the protagonists.
- “When you say the elevator's dirty, you pee yourself in there or something? Ya know, you used to get pretty soaking wet from my fingers back in the day.”
- “These hands of yours... they're really always from above, Yasuho... whenever I reach my hand out to you, you always instinctively put your hand on top of mine without saying a thing...”
- “Looks like we ran into each other at a good time. Seems like that's always the way with us...”
- “"Electricity flying into the sky". The idea of making a mechanism for electromagnetic induction that can charge something without an electrical outlet. I even filed a patent on it. Nobody had ever thought of it. Really, there's nothing out there that lets you charge something while it's in your pocket. But when I brought the idea to them, those companies all told me this. Except the Chinese company, they just laughed at me. "There are lots of people out there in the world thinking the same thing at the same time. That idea's just a step too late."”
- “To the direction of the Perseus constellation... to the relationship we had back when the moon and mercury were lined up... we were... happy.”
- “Actually, Yasuho-chan... Would you mind if I asked you something...? I want to 'help' you guys...”
- “It's Higashikata Josuke... Interesting. So he's not pursuing... He's inviting!”
- “The right path... Even if walked on by a saint who makes no mistakes... It is unavoidable that bad things will sometimes occur. That is "Calamity"”
- “While I don't know their name, I do know... (1) That they're elderly, (2) That they once had a license to practice medicine, (3) That they're currently in a nursing home, (4) That they're not close with their family, so they rarely if ever get people visiting them.”
- “As for eliminating 'Josuke'... I'm calling it off. Josuke has been quite a nuisance to me, he may even be a threat. I'd very much like to finish him off right now, but... I'm giving up on him.”
- “What really matters is making sure I get my hands on that New Locacaca. I'll collect just that one pot. And then I will vanish from this place and from TG University. 'Safety first'. That is my goal, after all. Yasuho-chan... Give that 'New Locacaca' to me.”
- “Calamities make no distinction between right or wrong. Honestly, even I don't know what's going to happen to you. But the one thing that is certain is that you will die very soon.”
- “You, just sit down. Why don't you take a nap or just sit there bewildered in silence? And most of all, you'd better not be getting any ideas of coming towards me.”
- “Farewell... Yasuho... After everything ends, all will remain are dreams... and memories.”
- “Atop the coastal cliffs! There is a 'rock'... Atop some others rocks, Higashikata Kaato... What that 'rock' witnesses... Is only "dreams and memories". Memories of the landscape from those scenic cliffs... Clear skies, rainbows after storms... Mist... The beacons of lighthouses... Migratory birds and gulls... Glehnia plants... Only those dreams remain... "That which remains when it ends"... Defeat or victory mean nothing to that 'rock' on top of those cliffs.”
- “I know the rumors about your past. 15 years ago, you killed some obnoxious boy for your eldest son Jobin's sake. Even though you atoned for your crime in prison, your husband Norisuke still will not give you forgiveness. Even though you did it out of 'love'... So what sort of memories do you have left now? Only of 'cruelty'. None of the dreams Jobin held when he was alive were ever realized.”
- “Do... You understand... What you're doing...? The new Locacaca 'branch'... Is a 'natural law' of this world... That came about on this land from the series of overlapping coincidences of the wall eye faults from the earthquake, Kira Yoshikage's death... And Stand abilities. That plant will never again appear on this earth... Search any of the southern islands, you'll never find one. It is "divine providence that has appeared for the sake of life on earth"! This perfect plant will be gone forever... Stop this! Stop destroying all the "branches"!”
- “P-Please, help me... Yasuho-Chan. I... Don't want to die... You're the only one... That can save me... Please... We've been friends ever since you were a child, haven't we...?”
- “I just... ... thought I saw... a hornet... ... Oh, I see... It was... a memory... of mine...”