Akira Otoishi (音石 明 Otoishi Akira) is a primary antagonist featured in the fourth part of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, Diamond is Unbreakable, specifically in the "Red Hot Chili Pepper" story arc.
Otoishi is a well-built 19-year-old-man of above average height, with long, wavy, light hair and a lightning-bolt marking across the left side of his face. Akira sports a dark coat, patterened by "X" and "O"; the cuffs hold the emblems "AC" and "DC", and an arrow pointing upwards on both, a reference to the band AC/DC. Along with a dark colored vest, tight pants and boots.
Otoishi was modeled after young Kenji Ohtsuki, a Japanese rock musician and award-winning writer, considering their similar wavy hair and scar on the left side of the face. Araki probably chose him as a base after he interviewed Ohtsuki about his love of Horror movies, which the two bonded over.
Akira Otoishi's passion is his music, dedicated to become a Rock star and be one of the greats like Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck. Otoishi enjoys showing off his musical talent, even against his enemies, and wishes to impress people around the world with his music. In the most dire of circumstances, Akira goes so far as to play his guitar to channel his rage against Josuke Higashikata for breaking his pinky finger. He is well-versed in his craft, noting to enjoy Eddie Van Helen and Stevie Ray Vaughan, along with carrying a well-built electric guitar around.
Otoishi is self-centered, and confident in his Stand's ability to defeat anyone. He battles the Morioh warriors a few times, usually to further his goals but sometimes simply to test his strength. He often gloats, and doesn't show any hesitation to murder his enemies. Otoishi is quite clever, able to strategize his plan of attack and manipulate his opponents; Otoishi fools Okuyasu into opening Morioh's power line, and used underground wires at the Morioh harbor to attack Josuke at incredible speeds.
However, Josuke describes him as an intelligent coward, as relentless as Akira can be he often resorts to running away or begging at his wit's end. His confidence is his greatest weakness, inadvertently revealing to Jotaro that he was a student while trying to threaten him, or getting overpowered by Josuke's Crazy Diamond in a test of strength. Though he proclaims to be able to learn from his mistakes, he is ultimately defeated and jailed. While in-jail, he is threatened by Jotaro and promises to never use his Stand again.
- Main article: Red Hot Chili Pepper
Red Hot Chili Pepper is a small humanoid Stand which can travel through electrical currents and absorb electricity to empower itself. When powered up, it is a physically powerful Stand able to trade blows with the likes of Crazy Diamond but exhausts its energy quickly.
Guitar: Otoishi is a competent guitar player, and is notably able to compose a solo on the spot and use right-hand tapping. His ability to perform a solo is such that he can forcibly reset a broken pinky in the middle of playing.
Akira Otoishi was born around 1980, and grew up being infatuated with becoming a world-famous rock-star.
Otoishi was one of the many people Keicho Nijimura shot with the Bow and Arrow while trying to find a Stand user capable of killing his mutated father. Otoishi managed to develop a stand, and named it Red Hot Chili Pepper. Keicho seemingly let him be, but Akira developed his Stand to its full potential. Otoishi began using Red Hot Chili Pepper's ability to infiltrate any place connected to Morioh's power grid and steal from wherever he pleased.
Akira Otoishi first appears as a blurry silhouette, staring down Keicho as Red Hot Chili Pepper infilitrates his house. Chili Pepper suddenly bursts out to fatally wound Keicho, boasting about his growth and taunting Keicho for underestimating him. Otoishi drags Keicho through Morioh's power-lines and steals the Bow & Arrow. From there on, he watches and torments several people, among them Josuke Higashikata, while trying to improve in the use of his guitar skills.
Later, he attempts to threaten Jotaro Kujo about his investigation. He warns him about staying in Morioh, mentioning that he killed Keicho, has the Bow and Arrow, and that he won't bother them if they don't bother him. Otoishi mistakenly mentions his exams, and Jotaro quickly deduces that he is a student. An enraged Otoishi destroys the phone, having compromised his anonymity. The theft of the Bow and Arrow causes Jotaro Kujo to mark him as a primary threat, as his Stand allows him to interact with others from a distance via electricity.
Battle Against Okuyasu Nijimura
In order to help discover Otoishi's whereabouts, Jotaro calls on Joseph Joestar to make use of his Stand, Hermit Purple. Jotaro calls the Morioh warriors to discuss the plan in the fields, hoping that Chili Pepper wouldn't be able to spy on them. However, Akira has hidden Red Hot Chili Pepper in Okuyasu Nijimura's motorcycle, allowing him to eavesdrop on Jotaro's revelation. Red Hot Chili Pepper suddenly manifests and drives away, but Okuyasu gives chase with The Hand. Okuyasu destroys the motorcycle, and a brawl in the fields ensues. Eventually, Red Hot Chili Pepper runs out of juice and is depowered. However, Akira manages to goad Okuyasu into swiping at his Stand, opening the ground and uncovering a power line. This allows Chili Pepper to reabsorb enough energy to defeat Okuyasu and nearly kill him if not for Josuke's intervention.
Battle Against Josuke Higashikata
Akira heads to the port with a toy plane that Red Hot Chili Pepper can fly to the boat. Otoishi only reveals himself once Jotaro is gone, declaring his utter superiority to Josuke and Koichi. He asserts that he would only need his pinky to win, but is quickly interrupted when Josuke breaks it with a punch. Through the agonizing pain, Akira Otoishi expresses his fury through a threatening guitar solo that oddly captivates Josuke and Koichi.
Akira Otoishi rejuvenates himself, and the battle begins. Red Hot Chili Pepper exploits the drains under the pavement to attack Josuke from all angles. However, Josuke turns the concrete back into tar, and Red Hot Chili Pepper's presence causes bubble that help Josuke predict his movement. To take back the advantage, Otoishi empowers Chili Pepper with the entire city of Morioh's electrical supply, resulting in it receiving a massive boost in strength and speed and allowing it to overtake Crazy Diamond with little trouble. Josuke outwits Akira, and manages to trap the Stand in a rubber tire that slowly falls towards the ocean. Otoishi's overconfidence was his fall, Chili Pepper slowly distingerates in the ocean and Akira Otoishi is seemingly dead.
Though he appeared dead, Otoishi manages to escape and disguises himself as a Speedwagon Foundation crew member. He enters Joseph's room, guarded by Okuyasu, but his plan is complicated when another Speedwagon Foundation staffer comes to warn Okuyasu and Joseph. Okuyasu, too frustrated to use his head, decides to attack both and fortunately finds Otoishi first.
Otoishi was later put on trial with a sentence of three years behind bars with no bail or parole for the things he had stolen. It was there that Jotaro confronted him, threatening to hunt him down if he ever decided to use his Stand again. Akira Otoishi sensibly submits and avoids causing any trouble.
Otoishi asks for Rohan's autograph along with Tamami Kobayashi, claiming to be a big fan of his. Both are harshly rebuked by Rohan's editor Minoru Kagamari, who tells them that Rohan is busy at the moment, but Rohan, in turn, scolds his editor for treating him like a "slow mangaka who can't sign autographs" before signing autographs for the two of them with coffee using a special dripping technique.
Chapters / Episodes
- “I have a good 3 minutes to finish you two off and beat Jotaro and the others to the boat!”
- “The name's Akira Otoishi, 19 years old! Oh! Don't mind this guitar I have right here. My dream is to be like Jimi Hendrix or Jeff Beck. To be an ultra super guitarist and live life hard and fast! That's why I'm keeping this baby with me at all times. In the near future, with this baby right here, I'm gonna blow the world away!”
- “See this? The city's energy! It's all mine! My power! Oh and the electricity bill? I'll send it straight to your place, hehe...”
- “Keicho, Stands are the strength of the mind! I've grown so much! You mustn't have realized that "Red Hot Chili Pepper" held this potential!”
- “I'll show you how slow your Stand really is!”
Otoishi is first featured and debuts as a playable character in All-Star Battle.
As one of the mass majority of playable characters in the game with the "Stand" Style, Otoishi can turn Red Hot Chili Pepper on/off, changing movesets, as well as having access to the Stand Rush ability returning from the Capcom game, being able to attack in conjunction with his Stand. Akira has 950 HP.
In the Morioh City stage, when the stage hazard activates and puddles around the area are shocked by electricity from the Pepsi sign, Otoishi is the only one who suffers no negative effects when caught; He takes no damage and instead, his Power Gauge is instantly set to the first level. However, this has the unintended negative effect of depleting any amount of Power in the second level of the gauge, undoing Level MAX.
If Otoishi is Retired via any attack that does not result in a hard knockdown or blow-back, he remains standing but will hunch over, mirroring his defeat and fake death by Josuke.
If it is filled past the first meter, Otoishi enters "Level MAX" Mode, increasing the damage and speed of his skills as well as altering their properties, with Chili Pepper visually becoming brighter as more sparks and electric crackles come off of it. Chili Pepper stays in Level MAX Mode even after the gauge drops below the second level, provided Otoishi doesn't turn the Stand off.
- Light - The Stand jumps from the first spot to the second. This variation can only land if the opponent is running or is otherwise moving quickly towards Otoishi. At Level MAX, the ability does more damage and will leave them stunned and vulnerable. (Comboable)
- Medium - The Stand jumps from the second spot to the third, able to hit a standing opponent. At Level MAX, the ability does more damage and will leave them stunned and vulnerable. (Comboable)
- Heavy - The Stand jumps from the third spot to the first. At Level MAX, the ability does more damage and the opponent is knocked high into the air. (Comboable through Puttsun Cancel)
Otoishi was confirmed for the game along with Yoshikage Kira. Otoishi is of the Stand User Style, but more specifically is he a Mode User. The player can switch control between Otoishi and Red Hot Chili Pepper to alter the character's abilities, with Stand Mode being the more powerful. The Power Gauge, redubbed the Electric Gauge, makes a return as well.
- Style Action - Red Hot Chili Pepper: Control is switched between Otoishi (Host Mode) and Red Hot Chili Pepper (Stand Mode). While in Stand Mode, Chili Pepper has access to all of its skills. Damage dealt to the Stand is reflected in Otoishi, and any attack that delivers a knockdown will automatically and forcibly disable Stand Mode. Chili Pepper can interact with certain stage objects to transfer itself to specific points represented by anchor icons. This allows for quick escapes and inversely can be used to get closer to the opponent just as quickly. The stage objects themselves don't need to be electrical by nature, as Chili Pepper can travel between objects such as suits of armor and even flame lanterns. Unlike other Stand Mode Users, Otoishi's stamina gauge does not deplete while in Stand Mode; this is due to the fact that use of Chili Pepper is already tied to the Electric Gauge. However, this also means that Otoishi can theoretically remain in Stand Mode indefinitely so long as Chili Pepper has an external source of power always available.
- Rule - Electric Gauge: On the right side of Otoishi's health gauge shows a two-meter gauge as well as a Level indicator (LV), its power constantly draining while in Stand Mode and being consumed in amounts whenever he uses skills. The Electric Gauge has five levels, ranging from Level 0 to Level MAX; each third of the first gauge raises Chili Pepper to the next level, enhancing the Stand's overall performance. Depending on the amount in the Electric Gauge, Chili Pepper's movement speed, attack speed, and attack strength will be enhanced, among other effects. If it is completely empty (Level 0), Otoishi is unable to use any skills or moves involving Chili Pepper, leaving him with choice few skills and his aerial Powerful Attack (a diving knee); If the Electric Gauge is filled past its first meter, Otoishi enters "Level MAX", further increasing the damage and speed of his skills, with Chili Pepper visually becoming brighter as more sparks and electric crackles come off of it.
- Charge: Only available in Host Mode. Otoishi pulls out a small amp, allowing Chili Pepper to siphon off it and replenish the Electric Gauge.
- I feel great, thanks to you.: When either Otoishi or Chili Pepper stand near an electricity-based stage object (e.g. lampposts and other light fixtures, Yukako Yamagishi's electric chair at Boing-Boing Cape, etc), the Stand can instantly fill the Electric Gauge by a whole meter by interacting with it. In the case of the electric chair, simply coming into contact with it while it's live will do so.
- Right Hand Rockout: Only available in Host Mode. Otoishi plays a guitar solo as multi-colored spotlights appear above him out of nowhere. This consumes Otoishi's stamina to slowly fill the Dual Heat Gauge up to roughly 2/5ths of a stock if it completes without him stopping or an opponent interrupting, with full stamina allowing a complete solo. It is also a skill that Otoishi can still perform at Level 0, since it does not involve Chili Pepper.
- Spitfire: Only available in Stand Mode. While airborne, Chili Pepper can take out and rides a small RC airplane, quickly carrying it through the air with a slow descent at the cost of draining the Electric Gauge faster. The higher the Electric Gauge level, the faster the Stand will fly and the sharper it can turn. The skill can be canceled with a Normal Attack.
- You're the one who moved!: Chili Pepper delivers a fast punch that forcibly faces opponents away from it, forcibly disabling their lock-on and easily allowing for a Backstab to follow. The higher the Electric Gauge level, the faster the skill executes and the faster Chili Pepper can take action afterward, the skill will also receive damage boosts and Guard Break power accordingly; At Level 2 or higher, Otoishi himself is invincible on activation, and the duration of said invincibility is determined by the Electric Gauge level. At Level 3 or higher, Chili Pepper can seamlessly combo from the skill.
- This Stand Power... It's as explosive as a jet engine...: Chili Pepper rushes forward in a flurry of 13 flashy punches, with the final hit sending opponents flying. The higher the Electric Gauge level, the faster the skill executes, the more hits and therefore damage is dealt, and the faster Chili Pepper can take action afterward; At Level MAX, Chili Pepper adds 15 extra punches, is capable of teleporting a moderate distance forward before performing the attack which increases the skill's effective range, and Otoishi himself is invincible on activation.
- Time to get electric, baby!: Only available in Stand Mode. Chili Pepper covers itself in electricity and charges forward. If it connects, it turns the opponent into electricity and drags them into the ground, coming out of any specific locations around the stage to send them high into the air, randomly-selected. The higher the Electric Gauge level, the faster the skill executes and the faster Chili Pepper can take action afterward, the skill will also receive damage boosts and Guard Break power accordingly; At Level 3 or higher, Chili Pepper's charging attack gains some homing capabilities, and Otoishi himself is invincible on activation.
- EX - This Stand Power... It's as explosive as a jet engine...: The skill does not consume Electric Gauge power, performs the Level MAX version by default, and can even be used at Level 0. The final hit knocks opponents to the ground hard enough for them to bounce.
- EX - Time to get electric, baby!: The skill does not consume Electric Gauge power and performs the Level MAX version by default.
- Dual Heat Attack - You wanna get nuts?! Let's get nuts!: Identical to its performance in All-Star Battle, though executes faster for the sake of brevity.
- You wanna get nuts?! Let's get nuts!: Otoishi must fill the Electric Gauge to Level MAX. (200 Points)
- I'll kill your mom, too!: Otoishi must use Right Hand Rockout 5 times. (200 Points)
- I won! Wa ha ha ha ha!!: Otoishi must connect "Time to get electric, baby!" 3 times. (300 Points)
- I'm gonna put all the electricity I've used on your meter. Hee hee!: Otoishi must connect 5 skills while at Level MAX. (500 Points)
- I demand thunderous applause from the foolish masses!: Otoishi must Retire an opponent with a Dual Heat Attack. (800 Points)
In Story Mode, Otoishi instead is an ally character, similar to his current status in canon spin-off of Rohan Kishibe series, first seen brainwashed by black aura created from Heaven Ascension DIO.
He is partnered with a revived Shigekiyo Yangu, until they are defeated and saved from DIO's control by Jotaro with a Saint Corpse Part during the second encounter. Once recovered from the brainwashed state, Okuyasu asks a surprised Otoishi how it feels to be one of the good guys now, while Otoishi is still frightened of Okuyasu's presence, thinking he wanted to get revenge for murdering his brother Keicho. However, he was relieved to have conversation changed to seeing Shigechi well again, but Otoishi is interrupted by the presence of the brainwashed Weather Report (who also died and was revived like Shigechi and most of the other deceased allies), whom was later defeated by Jolyne and Anasui, and saved using the corpse part.
As DIO (in his Heaven Ascension form) sends the Joestars (except for Jolyne and Jotaro who fight DIO in Cairo) into his traps, creating illusionary doubles of their brainwashed allies several times until succumbing to the control of the dark aura and giving the corpse to DIO. The Joestars and their allies' souls are absorbed into DIO to increase his power tenfold. Among the souls absorbed is Otoishi.
Otoishi's current status in a new timeline remains unknown, as he may be a reformed criminal, or may have reverted to his past ways. It is also unknown if it altered his murder of Keicho Nijimura or his giving of a Stand to Bug-Eaten and the unnamed rat.
JoJo's Pitter-Patter Pop! (Android/iOS)