Introdotto nell'arco narrativo "Dolomite's Blue Lagoon", Mamezuku è un perito delle piante solitario, segretamente impiegato dalla Compagnia della frutta degli Higashikata conosciuto solo da Norisuke Higashikata IV. Venne attaccato una volta dagli Uomini Roccia. Si unirà a Josuke Higashikata per poter proteggere se stesso.
Mamezuku è un uomo muscoloso di altezza superiore alla media con un taglio di capelli piatto che sfuma in trecce scure dietro la testa. Indossa una tuta con un motivo a vite e papaveri su un colore chiaro
Alla mano sinistra di Mamezuku mancano 4 dita a causa dell'infezione di Brain Storm
Palette di Colori
Rai Mamezuku è un individuo eccentrico e brusco a cui non importa molto delle buone maniere. Affronta i problemi in modo preciso e arguto. Appena viene a conoscenza di ciò che sta accadendo a Morioh e che si trova in pericolo, decide di unirsi a degli alleati. Con una sola chiamata al cellulare con Norisuke riguardo il confusionario problema di Josuke, Mamezuku riesce ad aiutare ogni persona coinvolta nel modo più favorevole per lui. Rai tende ad osservare attentamente ciò che lo circonda e prendere appunti verbalmente su tutto ciò che gli interessa anche minimamente; questa abitudine gli permette di comprendere la natura e le sottigliezze degli attacchi contro di lui. Mamezuku calcola regolarmente anche le probabilità, come le possibilità che qualcuno sia al sicuro attraverso determinati fattori.
Mamezuku agisce a sangue freddo, dimostrando ripetutamente che non teme di sacrificare qualcosa da lui percepito meno importante per un obbiettivo maggiore. Il suo frutteto presenta una piccola parte della coltura invasa da insetti predatori e malattie per migliorare il resto del frutteto, non ha problemi a tagliarsi la mano per salvare la propria vita, e inoltre mette Yasuho in grande pericolo in quanto la reputa meno importante della propria salvezza. Un altro esempio della sua natura spietata avviene quando fa sì che un prigioniero veda Satoru Akefu allo scopo di far lesionare autonomamente l'uomo e avere un'opportunità di uscire dalla prigione ed essere portato segretamente all'Ospedale Universitario del TG.
Inoltre, Mamezuku ha sangue freddo. Nonostante sapesse di essere sotto attacco da parte di un potere sconosciuto, agisce in modo calmo con particolare attenzione verso la sua sopravvivenza. Una volta relativamente al sicuro, Mamezuku perfino si prende del tempo per preparare qualcosa da mangiare per sé, Josuke e Yasuho. Quando perde la sua mano sinistra per via di un attacco Stand, se la taglia tranquillamente per preservare il resto del suo corpo. Detto ciò, perfino Rai non riesce a stare calmo quando Akefu suggerisce di essere la causa dietro la morte di suo padre e ovviamente delle calamità che hanno portato alla distruzione del frutteto dei suoi genitori, e precipitosamente tenta di uccidere il Primario.
In ogni caso, il tratto più evidente di Mamezuku è il suo essere eccentrico e spavaldo. Prima, è decisamente asociale. La sua unica relazione è con Norisuke, che comunque considera un buon amico. Mamezuku farà molte cose con lo scopo di rimanere isolato, infatti la sua residenza estiva è un pilastro di sostegno per una sciovia, completa almeno di una cucina nascosta e un'intera montagna come frutteto; durante l'inverno risiede in una villa. Soprattutto, mamezuku dimostra costantemente di avere una mancanza di preoccupazione per gli altri. Dirotta un bus senza preoccuparsi di nessuno se non delle consegueze per lui, dichiara apertamente a Yasuho che non gli importa del suo tragico passato e considera la propria sopravvivenza la priorità maggiore, sopra quella di Josuke e Yasuho. nonostante ciò, sembra impressionato quando Yasuho prende l'iniziativa di coprire le loro tracce e pensa di invitare i suoi ospiti a mentre parlando della loro prossima mossa. Questo non fermerà Mamezuku dal disapprovare la scelta di Josuke quando questo istintivamente darà priorità alla salvezza di Yasuho nel mezzo di un attacco e dal lanciarla poi freddamente nel raggio dello Stand nemico per osservare cosa succede.
Durante la sua giovinezza, Rai è stato descritto come un ragazzo lunatico a cui non piacevano le persone e che incolpava i suoi genitori per l'errore che ha portato alla distruzione del loro frutteto. Un secondo flashback mostra che almeno in ottimi rapporti con Norisuke IV
- Main article: Doggy Style
Lo Stand di Mamezuku è Doggy Style, il quale può creare una stringa prensile simile a una benda dal suo corpo per afferrare oggetti da lontano. Srotola il suo corpo in una "fune" che può controllare e manipolare.
Mamezuku è un esperto in orticoltura, la sua professione è essere un perito delle piante e un coltivatore di frutta, implicando una grande conoscenza ed esperienza nell'ambito delle piante. Lui può identificare una piantea semplicemente guardandola da una fotografia, e ha la conoscenza di come prendersi propriamente cura di piante rare come il Locacaca.
Alla fine viene rivelato che Mamezuku è a conoscenza dell'esistenza della Rotazione. Dimostra ciò a Josuke creando una corda con la sua pelle e facendola girare rapidamente, rivelando a Josuke che le bolle di sapone di Soft & Wet sono a tutti gli effetti linee morbide che ruotano.
Mamezuku was born into a family of fruit farmers, whose high-class pears were prized goods.
In a flashback, the cultivating techniques of Mamezuku's parents were leaked, leading to a competitor managing to steal an entire crop of pear and bringing down the fruit trees. The usupers were connected with local money lenders. Thus, his parents had to part with their orchards. Blaming his parents, Mamezuku began to live alone on a ski slope, cultivating his own fruits despite the difficulties. Mamezuku met Norisuke Higashikata IV at 17. Impressed by their quality, Norisuke appointed Mamezuku in secret to be his personal fruit grower and appraiser. Mamezuku's existence in the company was kept with the utmost secrecy, with not even Norisuke's own son Jobin ever being informed.
In another flashback, Mamezuku's family seemed to have been acquainted with the Higashikata Family. At some point, the pear orchard had been ravaged by a typhoon and a strange phenomenon occurred where the trees leaked asbestos from all their orifices as they grew. Mamezuku insists that he saw an insect harm the orchard but no one believed him. However, his father went to investigate the fruits during this typhoon and was killed by a landslide. Norisuke Higashikata IV attended the funeral with his son Jobin and daughter Hato. During the ceremony, Mamezuku was pestered by some acquaintances but Norisuke got rid of them. After hugging Norisuke for comfort, Mamezuku told him again that the orchard was well raised and that he saw a strange insect lurking in the orchard while the trees died. However, Norisuke refuted his claims as he checked and saw no insect, and told Mamezuku that everything that had happened to him was some natural calamity.
At that moment, although it was very brief and hardly noticeable, it was here that young Mamezuku met Satoru Akefu, who was standing with his back turned. However, Mamezuku had duties to attend to and forgot about the strange man.
Mamezuku is first shown when Norisuke presents a photo of him to Josuke Higashikata, advising the latter to go find him, as his skills would enable Josuke to recognize the grafted Locacaca branch.
After communicating with Norisuke in regards to a certain Josuke Higashikata's inquiry about a Locacaca branch, Mamezuku notices that he is under attack from an unidentified enemy moving underground. Running from his assailant, Mamezuku ends up hijacking the bus which Josuke and Yasuho Hirose are on, formally meeting them and presenting himself in the process.
Mamezuku thus drives to his summer home in the mountains, a ski lift. Discussing with Josuke and Yasuho, Mamezuku manages to find the location of the Locacaca using photographs of the orchard, and determines that the best course of action for his survival is to work with Josuke.
After a brief snack, the trio is attacked by the unknown assaillant revealed to be a duo of Rock Human and Rock Animal, Urban Guerrilla and his pet Doremifasolati Do. Losing several fingers to a first attack, Mamezuku becomes upset that Josuke has protected Yasuho first instead of him. To observe the enemy, Mamezuku pushes Yasuho down the ski lift, which pushes Josuke to also jump down, although Mamezuku tells him they have to take a fuel tank stored inside one of the lift poles.
Separated from his allies, Mamezuku is attacked by Urban Guerrilla and falls down the lift, heavily injured. However, he's managed to pierce the fuel tank and bring it to Josuke alongside his lighter, which Josuke uses to make Doremifasolati Do and Urban explode.
Afterward, Mamezuku takes with him a vivarium full of moth larvae. When he tells Yasuho to leave and go home, Yasuho refuses and begins to tell her story. Uninterested by her, Mamezuku nonetheless listens when Yasuho theorizes that the strange hair clip which has tormented her may have been a Rock Animal. Thus, he sends her to investigate it.
Arriving at the Higashikata estate through secret underground tunnels, Mamezuku and Josuke stealthily manage to plant the moth larvae in the Locacaca branch and must now wait 2 days before a new fruit grows.
Their departure is interrupted when they notice the atmospheric pressure growing inside the tunnel. Looking outside, the two see the orchard on fire and decide to use giant bubbles to protect themselves from Ozon Baby's power. Going out into the open to take the branch, Mamezuku sees the enemy, Poor Tom, and decides to confront him.
Mamezuku's attempts to break Poor Tom's neck by strangling him with his wired arm proves to be a mistake as touching Poor Tom directly increases Ozon Baby's influence on him. When Poor Tom traps a part of the wire inside a knife sheath to simulate a closed space, Mamezuku succumbs to the pressure, making his body explode.
Despite all observing parties assuming that the plant appraiser was killed by the explosion, Mamezuku was able to successfully utilize Doggy Style in order to disassemble his body rapidly, giving the impression that he was torn to shreds. After the conflict with Poor Tom ends, Josuke discovers a surviving yet disassembled Mamezuku and mourns the loss of the branch, not knowing that Jobin had obtained it covertly.
After the battle, Josuke explains what happened to the Higashikata Family. Mamezuku suspects Jobin of lighting the orchard on fire, but none of them have any proof of what happened. They decide to follow the trail of the ambulance's license plate. Finding that that no such ambulance is recorded, Josuke finds another trail when Yasuho calls her to go to the TG University Hospital.
Arriving there with Josuke, Mamezuku spends some time searching for Yasuho while at the same time, she is busy fighting Dr. Wu Tomoki alongside Mitsuba Higashikata. Tipped by Yasuho's ex-boyfriend Toru, Josuke and Mamezuku reach the secret laboratory containing several Locacaca branches. After Josuke saves Yasuho, Mamezuku scans the room and deduces in his turn that the stolen Locacaca branch isn't in the laboratory and destroys the trees of the garden.
Although Yasuho theorizes that since Tomoki tried to gain control of Mitsuba, he may have suspected Jobin as the possessor of the branch, Mamezuku is adamant about the branch being in the hands of the Locacaca Organization and stays deaf to her suggestions. He instead reports his attention to the last member of the organization unaccounted for: Satoru Akefu, the head doctor of TG University Hospital. The trio are eventually informed about the head doctor walking away behind them, but to Mamezuku's frustration, the supposedly 89 years old doctor keeps evading them as they continuously bump against objects, Mamezuku being the most subjected to these occurrences.
As the doctor leaves the hospital grounds, Mamezuku notices that his legs are being shredded and that the group is under attack from an enemy Stand. Warning against continuing the pursuit, he helplessly watch a car almost crashing into Yasuho and Josuke as they pursue the head doctor, who has now boarded a bus. Moreover, Josuke gets into trouble when a patient nearby starts a fight and his broken neck violently and suddenly snaps on Josuke, making it look like he murdered the man. A crowd gathers and the police arrives as Mamezuku, unwilling to be arrested, tells Yasuho to get away while he and Josuke must find a way out of this situation.
Mamezuku and Josuke eventually decide to hide inside a Lamborghini, itself also hidden in the foliage of a tree. They last until two days before the harvest. Having bought some supplies, Mamezuku stitches himself up and also discovers that Satoru Akefu may be attending a lecture on regenerative medicine at the TG University Hospital. At the same time, he and Josuke discuss the exact nature of Satoru Akefu's Stand. Once they decide to actually go to the lecture, Akefu's Stand reappears, making them realize that it is triggered by the intent of pursuit. As they worriedly leave the car to escape the incoming attack, Mamezuku and Josuke discover with horror that the drops from an incoming rain become lethal projectiles, forcing them to take refuge in a police car.
Determined to get to the hospital and reach Satoru Akefu's lecture, Josuke steps out of the car and gets pierced by the raindrops on purpose to be injured and taken to the hospital. Shocked, Mamezuku notices that the attack has ended with Josuke being taken out, or worse, and angrily yells at the police to get an ambulance. Mamezuku is apprehended by the police.
Mamezuku thinks about the enemy's ability and enacts his evasion plan. He begins by stealing a mobile phone and a kitchen knife from the evidence locker and smuggles them inside of his cell.
Sitting with another prisoner who complains about his constant mumbling, Mamezuku mentions that he's innocent and was only sheltering his equally innocent friend Josuke and then inquires about his cellmate's health. This enrages the man who only wants to be left in peace but then Mamezuku mentions the power of the head doctor Satoru Akefu. Mamezuku shows the mobile phone and the kitchen knife and states that he's free to go outside but must stay in the cell. Filming the exterior with the phone, Mamezuku shows the screen to the cellmate and mentions the elderly man in a black suit standing near the window but with his back facing them. The cellmate shouts that there isn't anybody but Mamezuku insists, theorizing the figure to be a materialization of "calamity energy". To prove his point, Mamezuku stands up to get a good look at the man but a cup of water suddenly spills on the floor and the light breaks, sending shards flying at them. He also tries to call Josuke to inform him about the enemy and his dish bursts, revealing a swarm of maggots.
Thus, Mamezuku claims that the man is a form of karmic retribution whose energy is probably related to the deeds of the individual who sees him. Mamezuku finally manages to make his cellmate see the doctor and mentions that he's found photos of a knife attack in the phone incriminating the cellmate. Pushed over the edge, the cellmate takes the knife but Mamezuku unravels his hand and pushes the knife in the cellmate's throat, stating that he's been waiting for this moment. The police rushes the injured criminal to the hospital. When the ambulance reaches the TG University Hospital grounds, Mamezuku gets out of his hiding spot, as he's unravelled himself to hide under the cellmate's clothes. Still, he can see the figure of the head doctor in the parking lot. Mamezuku expresses his final finding: that the figure is actually the Stand and that the real user is hiding somewhere. However, Mamezuku spots the real Satoru Akefu walking behind him this time, and deduces that he and the doctor are going in the same direction: towards Josuke.
As Mamezuku and Akefu both go towards the laboratory, Mamezuku is able to see more of how the Stand Akefu moves through objects and through reflections. Arriving at Josuke's room, he warns Josuke about the head doctor and its calamitous powers, but Josuke has a plan. Akefu phases through the wall to peek inside the laboratory but doesn't completely enter the room. Instead, it brings a Rock Insect named Dododo De Dadada out of his pocket. It attacks Josuke via a strange method but Josuke manages to avoid taking serious damage. Akefu dares him to get up from his chair. However, Josuke retorts that this is the latest of a series of attempt to bring them out in the open. Thus, Josuke asks a question: wouldn't it have been enough to just keep the new Locacaca? Akefu remains silent, allowing Mamezuku to realize that Akefu does not have the fruit.
Suddenly, Mamezuku remembers his past and that he'd already seen Satoru Akefu. Remembering his family's devastated pear orchard and the Rock Insect, Mamezuku then saw Josuke excreting asbestos. Remembering how his trees died, Mamezuku protects Josuke from Dododo De Dadada's second attack by blocking the stick with his palm, injuring himself in the process, and told Josuke not to move. He explains that moving up must trigger the appearance of the asbestos, and the head doctor, who identifies himself as Wonder of U, precises that the trigger is to extend one's limbs, just like how the Mamezuku's pear trees died leaking out asbestos as their branches grew. As Wonder of U practically reveals he's been responsible for the orchard's destruction and his father's death, a dark determination appears in Mamezuku's eye. However, he must first warn Josuke of an incoming attack from Dododo De Dadada, who's merged with the desk Josuke is perched on.
Rai first tries to warn Josuke but the latter is overwhelmed by Dododo De Dadada. Rai thus intervenes personally. By unraveling himself partially, Rai is able to crawl on the ceiling like a snake and take Dododo De Dadada by surprise. Rai violently extends his fingertip and impales the Rock Insect, killing it. Despite Josuke's wish to let Wonder of U come to him, Rai directly confronts the head doctor, waving his fingertip mere centimeters away from it. Wonder of U taunts Rai about the calamities that had befallen his family. Angered, Rai grabs Wonder of U by the neck and almost impales him. However, a calamity happens and Rai falls into Josuke's trap, several spinning bubbles that cut chunks of his body, including the head. Rai collapses but decides to tell Josuke the truth about Soft & Wet's power, and reveals to him the existence of the Spin.
- Father: Due to Mamezuku's parents' incompetence, Mamezuku ran away to live on his own. However, it's shown that Mamezuku still has love for his parents, especially his father, since Mamezuku at some point attended his father's funeral. After finding out that the landslide that struck his father was a calamity caused by Wonder of U, his father's death becomes one of the primary factors that drive Mamezuku's intentions on fighting Akefu.
- Mother: Due to Mamezuku's parents' incompetence, Mamezuku ran away to live on his own. Mamezuku's relationship with his own mother remains unclear, though she attended Mamezuku's father's funeral with Mamezuku. Later on, overwhelmed by the amount of debts from the pear orchard, she fell ill and died. Like the case with his father, Mamezuku becomes enraged after learning that his mother's death was also a calamity by the Head Doctor.
Amici ed Alleati
- Norisuke Higashikata IV: Mamezuku met Norisuke at the age of 17. Norisuke became impressed at Mamezuku's fruit cultivating skills, and therefore hired Mamezuku to be his secret personal fruit grower and appraiser. Since then, their secrecy remains unnoticed even to the eldest son Jobin. It is shown that Norisuke assumes a father figure role to Mamezuku, as he attended his father's funeral, and was there to comfort him.
- Josuke Higashikata: They ally together due to their connection with Norisuke, and so that Mamezuku could tell Josuke where the New Locacaca branch is. They still get along with each other regardless.
- Yasuho Hirose: Despite Yasuho helping Mamezuku investigating the Rock Organisms and the Locacaca, Mamezuku shows little to no care for Yasuho. During their encounter with Urban Guerilla and Doremifasolati Do, Mamezuku pushed her off as a disposable, ignoring Josuke's angry reaction. They still seem to get along with each other regardless.
- Satoru Akefu: Akefu did attend Mamezuku's father's funeral at some point; it was very brief, but it was here that Mamezuku and Akefu met each other for the first time. After finding out that the landslide that claimed his father's life was a calamity caused by Wonder of U, his father's death becomes the primary factor that drives Mamezuku's intentions on fighting Akefu.
- Dododo De Dadada: Mamezuku does not directly consider Dododo De Dadada an enemy, though in his past he saw the Rock Insects infest his father's pear orchard with asbestos. It is unclear if one of them was Dododo De Dadada. Mamezuku kept trying to tell the public about this, but they didn't believe him; only his father did.
- “The priorities here are protecting me is first... then your own life comes second. She's third. Okay?”
- “I'm just saying what I think is logical.”
- “My occupation is Norisuke's personal fruit grower... I don't do business with anyone else.”
- “I'm purposefully letting insects and diseases attack the strawberries around here. By doing that, this makes them a good environment for the insects and diseases, so they don't climb any higher up the hillside.”
- “The IT industry alone makes 5 trillion dollars a year. What kind of world would an "immortality industry" be?”
- “Josuke, promises are "sacred".”
- “Do you know what... I'm trying to do... with my 'Doggystyle'...? Josuke... knows.”
- “Don't get the wrong idea, Josuke Higashikata. It seems you spoke to the enemy about me... you need to protect me.”
- “I'd like to avoid any more irregularities, but... Josuke... no matter what happens, I need you to take responsibility. For now, you have to protect me. The priorities here are protecting me first, then your own life comes second. She's third.”
- “You'd best not doubt my probabilities.”
- “My name is Rai Mamezuku (32). Got that? "Rai", not "Rei". My occupation is Norisuke's personal fruit grower. I don't do business with anyone else.”
- “The entire chairlift is my home. It's just a rental though. Starting from the bottom, the first pole is where my analog records are stored. I'm thinking about throwing away my laserdiscs. Every pole is equipped with speakers. The second pole is a library and a winery. The third pole is a closet where I keep my shoes and clothing.”
- “Humans started engaging in agriculture approximately 10,000 years ago. At first, they grew wheat and green peas. From there, human civilization has been constantly developing. Right now, developments in science and technology, terrain and natural environments, art, thinking, and economics seem to have thoroughly surpassed all limitations... Despite all this, there is a region which, ever since the dawn of human civilization, has remained unsolved. A region that no kings or sages have ever been able to conquer. A region which sages gave up on trying to conquer and deemed accepting it to be unconquerable as correct. That is the region known as not dying. But humanity had proof before it that it exists at the cellular level. The mechanism is astoundingly simple. The equivalent exchange of cells. Even setting moral issues aside, unlike induced pluripotent stem cells and cloning, it's simple replacement. By my calculations, the cellular replacement of an entire body can be done in just two hours. Josuke, if the sages of this world witnessed you, what would they think about death...?”
- “There are people that want to, at a scientific level, turn the Locacaca into technology. And keep it all for themselves! The IT industry alone makes $5,000,000,000,000 a year. What kind of world would an immortality industry be? They are the enemy.”
- “This enemy is quite serious... our chance of survival has decreased to 7%.”
- “Don't treat sacred things lightly. Otherwise everyone, including Norisuke, is going to lose! I'm the first priority. Protect me...you seriously want to harvest the Locacaca fruit, right?”
- “He's piqued my interest... I've changed my opinion of him somewhat... when all is said and done, Josuke is a man I can count on. But that... is an assessment for after we've gotten our hands on the new Locacaca...”
- “Josuke... I'm not crazy about your plan... but that speech of your just now... I liked it. Part of it, at least. I didn't care about the other parts, but that line about Norisuke struck a chord.”
- “Knowing Norisuke... with that new Locacaca branch, we'll open up the righteous path and bring everyone happiness. That branch is a demon plant! There's no human who can tame it! So I'll go collect it!”
- “You're... a Rock Human, yes? I'll break you apart with my wires.”
- “I know I sound like a broken record but... 89 years old?”
- “Sorry, no can do. I don't mind the search, but I'm going to have to refuse getting out of the patrol car. I'll get hit by the rain. I've got rights, you know.”
- “...Here he comes... Everything in this world... All things under heaven and earth... And the connections between them...!! None of them will be on your side!! If you just 'move an inch' from that chair... An all-out attack of a power called Disaster will be coming for you!!”
- “Nobody is aware of it. Nobody sees it within their stand. It's a line. The lines, they spin... Your soap bubbles are soft, spinning lines! That is the spin! And inside it, there are things that cannot... be seen...”
- 
- JJL Volume 16: Mother and Child (Age originally 32 in Ultra Jump)
- JJL Chapter 59: Dolomite's Blue Lagoon, Part 1
- JJL Chapter 64: Mother and Child, p.43
- JJL Chapter 65: The Plant Appraiser - Rai Mamezuku (31), Part 1, p.4
- JJL Chapter 63: Dolomite's Blue Lagoon, Part 5, p.13
- JJL Chapter 66: The Plant Appraiser - Rai Mamezuku (31), Part 2, p.39
- JJL Chapter 66: The Plant Appraiser - Rai Mamezuku (31), Part 2, p.40-43
- JJL Chapter 96: Just Don't Move, p.17-20
- JJL Chapter 66: The Plant Appraiser - Rai Mamezuku (31), Part 2, p.1
- JJL Chapter 100: The Wonder of You, Part 17, p.30-32
- JJL Chapter 75: Ozon Baby's Pressure, Part 3, p.5
- JJL Chapter 65: The Plant Appraiser - Rai Mamezuku (31), Part 1, p.45
- JJL Chapter 66: The Plant Appraiser - Rai Mamezuku (31), Part 2, p.4
- JJL Chapter 71: The Qing Dynasty Hair Clip, p.45
- JJL Chapter 75: Ozon Baby's Pressure, Part 3, p.1-5
- JJL Chapter 99: The Wonder of You, Part 16, p.20-25
- JJL Chapter 75: Ozon Baby's Pressure, Part 3
- JJL Chapter 99: The Wonder of You, Part 16
- JJL Chapter 100: The Wonder of You, Part 17