- For a similarly named character, see Holy Joestar-Kira
Holy Kujo (空条 ホリィ Kūjō Horī), née Joestar, is a secondary ally featured in the third part of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, Stardust Crusaders. She is the daughter of Joseph Joestar and Suzi Q, wife of Sadao Kujo, and mother of Jotaro Kujo.
Due to the connection between Jonathan Joestar's body and his descendants, Holy gains a Stand when DIO gains his. However, she becomes ill from the power of her own Stand, setting Jotaro and Joseph on course for Egypt to kill DIO.
Holy Kujo is a forty-five-year-old woman of British and Italian descent with light, shoulder-length hair. As is the case with any other Joestar, she possesses a star-shaped birthmark on the left side of the nape of her neck.
Holy wears multiple outfits in Stardust Crusaders. In her first appearance, she wears a long dress, a pearl necklace, and earrings. When she meets with Joseph, she wears a coat over a collared shirt and a skirt in addition to the necklace and earrings. At home, she wears a long-sleeve shirt, a long skirt, an apron, slippers, and circular earrings. When she faints the next morning, she wears a cardigan, a shirt, a long skirt, and circular earrings. While being taken care of by the Speedwagon Foundation, she wears a nightgown, being bedridden. These outfits differ across the manga, anime, and OVA.
In the first episode of the Stardust Crusaders anime, her circular earrings were designed to be inherited from Lisa Lisa. Her previous outfit in the same episode also has her wearing a beaded necklace, similar to what Suzi Q wears in the anime when she is older.
Holy is the cheerful, doting mother of her son Jotaro Kujo, hardly ever seen without a smile. Despite her son's common insults and general annoyance at her, she's able to see through him and perceive the true kindness within him, of which she is deeply proud. She loves her family with all her heart and will even lie about her own well-being to keep them from worrying about her. In general, she is a caring person, showing concern for a wounded Kakyoin, taking time to care for his wounds. Kakyoin feels inspired by her, describing her as ‘someone who just puts you at ease by being near her’.
Despite her age, she is sometimes childish, tickling her father in public and playfully demanding that he call her by her nickname.
Having lived in Japan for twenty years, she has adapted to living there, speaking Japanese very well, as noted by a Japanese policeman.
- Main article: Holy's Stand
While DIO was alive, she developed a Stand, but was incapable of using it, both due to her gentle nature and not having the need to battle or fight. Her Stand gave her high, fever-like symptoms while deteriorating her health until she dies in approximately 50 days. Her "ability" was the reason why her father, Joseph, and her son, Jotaro, went to kill DIO and caused the events of Stardust Crusaders to unfold.
Holy is the daughter of Joseph Joestar and Suzi Q, born in 1942.
In the anime, she is briefly shown in 1950 as an eight-year-old girl alongside her parents as they overlook Erina on her deathbed.
She is first mentioned when a Japanese man bumps into Joseph with his suitcase while Joseph is at the airport. He notices the man is Japanese and knees him in the stomach. He then claims that he hates the Japanese because his beloved daughter fell in love with a Japanese man and left home to the other end of the world, rarely coming home to visit for the next twenty years.
Stardust Crusaders (1988-1989)
Holy is introduced as the loving mother of Jotaro Kujo. When he locks himself in jail, claiming to be possessed by an evil spirit, Holy calls her father, Joseph Joestar, to see him. Joseph tells Jotaro and Holy that DIO had acquired the body of Jonathan Joestar, and with it had somehow developed a Stand ability, but yet he fails to convince him even with proof. However, Holy does not care much about it and continues to live as if everything was normal.
Because of this, all of Jonathan's descendants had also developed a Stand, the "evil spirit" Jotaro mentioned. Holy eventually develops one too, but doesn't have the strength to support it and falls ill after hiding her condition for a time to not worry her family. Holy's ailing condition becomes the catalyst for Jotaro and company's quest to Egypt, as the defeat of DIO would stop Holy's Stand of showing itself. As the Joestar Group travels from Tokyo to Cairo, Holy's sickness worsens. At one point, she receives the visit of her mother, Suzi Q.
At the end of the adventure, she is back on her feet and once more the loving person she was.
Chapters / Episodes
- Chapter 113: The Man Who Crossed the Atlantic (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 114: Jotaro Kujo, Part 1
- Chapter 115: Jotaro Kujo, Part 2
- Chapter 116: Jotaro Kujo, Part 3
- Chapter 117: The Man with the Star Birthmark
- Chapter 120: Noriaki Kakyoin, Part 3
- Chapter 121: The Power Called a "Stand"
- Chapter 122: Head to Egypt
- Chapter 124: Silver Chariot, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 130: Strength, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 183: "The Fool" Iggy and "Geb" N'Doul, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 184: "The Fool" Iggy and "Geb" N'Doul, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 210: Shooting DIO?! (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 213: D'Arby the Gambler, Part 3 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 216: D'Arby the Gambler, Part 6 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 238: The Miasma of the Void, Vanilla Ice, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 246: Suzi Q Joestar Visits Her Daughter
- Chapter 265: The Faraway Journey, Farewell Friends
- Chapter 412: Cheap Trick, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SBR Extra Chapter 3: Untitled Stand Chapter (Mentioned only)
- Episode 26: The Man Who Became a God
- SC Episode 1: A Man Possessed by an Evil Spirit
- SC Episode 2: Who Will Be the Judge?!
- SC Episode 3: DIO's Curse
- SC Episode 6: Dark Blue Moon
- SC Episode 14: Justice, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SC Episode 23: High Priestess, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SC Episode 24: High Priestess, Part 2 (Flashback)
- SC Episode 25: "The Fool" Iggy and "Geb" N'Doul, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SC Episode 34: D'Arby the Gambler, Part 1
- SC Episode 35: D'Arby the Gambler, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- SC Episode 36: Hol Horse and Boingo, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SC Episode 39: The Gatekeeper of Hell, Pet Shop, Part 2 (Flashback)
- SC Episode 44: The Miasma of the Void, Vanilla Ice, Part 3
- SC Episode 46: DIO's World, Part 2 (Flashback)
- SC Episode 48: The Faraway Journey, Farewell Friends
- Episode 1 (OVA): The Evil Spirit
- Episode 2 (OVA): Hierophant Green
- Episode 8 (OVA): Iggy the Fool and N'Doul the GEB (Pt. I)
- Episode 11 (OVA): DIO's World: The Warrior of the Void: Vanilla Ice
- Episode 13 (OVA): DIO's World: Farewell, My Friends
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Novel) (Flashback)
- JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE OVER HEAVEN
- Iggy the Stray Dog (Mentioned only)
JoJo RPG (SFC)
Holy appears as a character the player can talk with during the first scenario, at Jotaro's house. Besides that, she appears only in cutscenes.
Capcom Fighters (PS1/DC/Arcade)
JoJo's Venture & Heritage for the Future
Holy Kujo appears as part of the Joestar Group's individual Story Mode campaigns, in cut-scenes mirroring the plot of Stardust Crusaders as she falls ill.
There is a mistranslated line in Jotaro's Story Mode where she refers to Joseph as Jotaro's uncle, when in fact Joseph is Jotaro's grandfather. This was corrected in the HD version as "I'd better tell his grandfather about this."
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (PS1)
With the addition of Super Story Mode, Holy is part of the plot, as the motivation for the Joestar Group to track down and destroy DIO when she falls ill. She is saved by the end and celebrates her family's return.
- At the beginning of Chapter 120, Holy is seen singing to herself: "Come on, baby, do the locomotion", likely from Gerry Goffin and Carole King's song "The Loco-Motion", made famous in the 1980s when it was covered by Kylie Minogue.
- Similarly, in the 2014 anime adaptation, she hums Seiko Matsuda's 1980s pop song "Aoi Sangoshou" ("Blue Coral Reef" in English), fitting well into the timeline as a Japanese song popular around the time Stardust Crusaders takes place in and also making a reference to Holy's Japanese name being Seiko.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Chapter 121: The Power Called a "Stand", p.2
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Chapter 115: Jotaro Kujo, Part 2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 JoJo6251
- ↑ Stardust Crusader Model Sheet No.SC-MC000-03
- ↑ TV Anime Key Frame Collection AAA
- ↑ Chapter 120: Noriaki Kakyoin, Part 3
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Chapter 122: Head to Egypt
- ↑ SC Episode 3: DIO's Curse
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Chapter 114: Jotaro Kujo, Part 1
- ↑ Chapter 251: DIO's World, Part 5 P.11.
- ↑ Chapter 265: The Faraway Journey, Farewell Friends P.18.
- ↑ Episode 26: The Man Who Became a God
- ↑ Chapter 113: The Man Who Crossed the Atlantic
- ↑ Chapter 117: The Man with the Star Birthmark
- ↑ Chapter 121: The Power Called a "Stand"
- ↑ Chapter 246: Suzi Q Joestar Visits Her Daughter
- ↑ Chapter 265: The Faraway Journey, Farewell Friends