A mad surgeon reconverted into a member of Passione and by extension the Boss' Unita Speciale, Cioccolata is dispatched near Rome alongside his human pet Secco in order to kill Team Bucciarati. He subsequently battles Giorno Giovanna and Guido Mista at the top of a tower.
Cioccolata is a man of average build, having short hair save for round locks on the top of his head, which closely resemble microscopic mold. He also bears marks on his forehead, cheeks, and nose, wears earrings, as well as a dark neckband.
Cioccolata wears a stylized bright long coat, in which a cross-shaped lace partially reveals his chest and multiple T-shaped holes cover his sleeves (the anime depicts him with only four per arm). Under the same bright trousers, Cioccolata wears a dark thong.
In other media, Cioccolata is primarily depicted as having a bright coat with dark lace, metallic earrings, vibrant facial markings, and darkened lips (varying between black, purple, and dark blue).
Cioccolata is a skilled manipulative sadist. His insanity, brutality, and sadism are strong enough to disgust even Diavolo, who avoids using him for missions unless he feels that it's absolutely necessary. According to Diavolo, Cioccolata was a former surgeon dismissed from his hospital for a medical accident two years before the start of Vento Aureo. However, the deaths were not accidents but were just cover-ups for Cioccolata to freely operate on them, diagnosing healthy patients ill before doing so. He would sometimes limit their anesthetics so the patients would regain consciousness mid-operation, allowing him to delight in the patient's suffering and death.
Cioccolata is driven by his morbid curiosity, insisting on recording every death he witnesses and enjoying every single moment, as he claims these are for his own personal progress as a surgeon. His sadism gives him enough ruthlessness to even endanger Giorno and Mista. Cioccolata is also prone to gloating, presenting his philosophy of one's own progress at the first opportunity and expressing his enjoyment at others' suffering loudly. Near the end of their fight, Cioccolata reveals to Giorno that he believes in a theory of happiness. This theory claims that true happiness can be derived from two kinds of situations: When one's despair is replaced with hope as circumstances get better for them, and when one looks down on another falling into despair themselves, the latter of which Cioccolata takes preference.
Despite his sadistic nature, Cioccolata is very fond of his servant Secco, treating him as a pet of some sort and giving him treats regularly. He even confides his ambition of surpassing the boss during the fight in his confidence over their shared invincibility, entrusting him with the act of finding the secret to Diavolo's downfall at the Colosseum in his final message.
- Main article: Green Day
Cioccolata's Stand, Green Day, is a humanoid power Stand which spreads a deadly mold, which eventually consumes people's flesh. The mold's growth is triggered by a lowering of altitude and has unlimited range, as long as other people are infected.
Surgical Genius: Cioccolata is a trained surgeon and his sick experiments gave him an intimate knowledge of the human body, notably on which body parts he can cut while preserving his victim's life. His surgery skills are great, as he could perform surgery on himself quickly enough to bisect his own body while Mista and Giorno went up to meet him. In addition, his knowledge of medical tools and sealing blood vessels allows him to limit his blood loss so that he wouldn't bleed out during his battle with Giorno.
While in the original manga, Cioccolata simply puts himself together afterward, the anime adaptation expands on it. Instead, Cioccolata is shown stitching himself together.
A young Cioccolata was constantly at the top of his class. When he was fourteen years old, he volunteered to take care of bedridden elderly people and received a commendation from the town mayor himself. In truth, however, Cioccolata did not actually take care of the elderly at all. Instead, he intentionally fed them unhygienic food and illegal drugs, and would then whisper into their ears about how no one would visit them and other emotionally destructive things. This torment eventually drove old people to despair and eventually commit suicide. He even filmed the expressions of his helpless victims and their deaths. Diavolo found that he has kept over 25 tapes worth of this material. After psychologically manipulating nine patients into committing suicide, Cioccolata decided to become a doctor.
Cioccolata eventually became a surgeon, continuing his crimes on unwitting patients. There were at least four cases in which Cioccolata misdiagnosed people to perform surgery on them but also would mess up the dose of anesthetic so that they would wake up mid-operation. Two years before the events of Vento Aureo, Cioccolata killed one of his patients. He was caught and sacked, but his deliberate murder was nonetheless mistaken as an accident. The anime version shows that the patient has had his stomach cut open and his innards played with by Cioccolata.
At some point, one of his would-be victims, Secco, ended up as his underling and a sort of "pet". Eventually, Cioccolata got sacked from his hospital because of a patient's death. Him and Secco would later join the underground crime syndicate Passione and gain their Stands, though the Boss believed that their abilities were too dangerous to carry out missions and that their loyalty was fickle.
At the coastal Village
The pair positions themselves in a coastal village to intercept Team Bucciarati and Cioccolata spreads Green Day's mold in the village, decimating its population. When Team Bucciarati arrives, they fall victim to the mold but quickly work out how it works and escape its initial trigger. Perched above their prey, Cioccolata is surprised by their resourcefulness and asks if Secco has filmed everything. Secco shows the footage of Narancia's desperate face, greatly pleasing his master, who pets him for a good ten seconds. Secco asks for four sugar cubes and Cioccolata obliges. When Cioccolata mistakenly throws a sugar cube out of reach, Secco expertly spits a cube to redirect both near him and catches them. This earns him another praise from his master. Their play time done, Cioccolata sics Secco at Team Bucciarati.
However, Secco then calls him and asks him if Green Day's mold works on corpse. Confused, Cioccolata can only answer that it would definitely work on any living being. Cioccolata is dismayed that Team Bucciarati has escaped Secco ans is actually heading for Rome.
Secco and Cioccolata board an helicopter, kill its pilot and eventually catch up to Team Bucciarati's car in Rome. They throw the pilot's mold-ridden corpse, causing a crash. Cioccolata then keeps spreading the mold. When Mista shoots the helicopter, Secco comes out of the vessel to punch the bullets away and dives into the streets. For his parts, Cioccolata's helicopter is entangled by tree branches when Giorno Giovanna and Guido Mista cooperate to shoot bullets touched by Gold Experience at the top of a tower near the helicopter. Cioccolata is trapped while the enemy approaches.
Atop the tower, Cioccolata sees Giorno and Mista coming for him and uses his surgery skills to cut up his body into smaller pieces and hides in the nooks and crannies of the cockpit; Cioccolata only keeps his right arm with him but invades his other limbs with Green Day's mold to remotely control them. Mista shoots five bullets towards the helicopter with Sex Pistols, allowing Cioccolata to ambush Sex Pistols and destroy all but one of them, No.5 who is still besides Mista. Mista defeated, Cioccolata uses the reprieve to send a first voice mail to Secco, where he promises more treats to his pet and declares that he will surpass the Boss shortly. To rescue the rest of Sex Pistols, Giorno climbs up to fight Cioccolata personally; Mista commands No.5 to take a bullet and accompany Giorno. Giorno climbs up the helicopter. Cioccolata tries to ambush Giorno from behind with a karate chop. Gold Experience counters the first punch and the surgeon quickly dismembers himself even further to escape the punch. Cioccolata reveals that his surgical expertise allows him to rapidly and precisely dismember himself, using Green Day's mold to both animate the severed parts and prevent him from bleeding out. His disembodied left arm ambushes Giorno, almost knocking him out of the helicopter, but the golden-haired gangster catches himself on the wall just in time.
Cioccolata reassembles his body with some quick stitchwork, expressing his twisted views on increasing curiosity as Green Day pummels Giorno right out of the helicopter. Before he can fall, No.5 kicks Mista's bullet through Giorno's hand, allowing it to grow into a tree branch that saves Giorno and gives him a path back to the helicopter. In turn, Cioccolata tilts the helicopter forward to make the branch drop, causing it to be consumed by Green Day's mold. Despite Giorno's best efforts, the branch falls apart beneath his feet, sending him plummeting towards the ground as the mold covers his body. An ecstatic Cioccolata leans out of the helicopter to enjoy the sight of Giorno's despair. However, Giorno kicks part of the branch into the helicopter's propeller, causing it to revert to a bullet which promptly shoots through Cioccolata's head.
The mad doctor collapses on the tree below, seemingly dead, while Giorno catches the edge of the roof and laboriously climbs up. While Giorno speaks, Cioccolata sneakily sends his arm towards Mista and also contacts Secco a second time, informing him of the team's objective and telling him to go to the Colosseum. Cioccolata awakens and shows that he's positioned his arm at Mista's throat. Declaring his victory, Cioccolata prepares to finish off the gunman when a stag beetle suddenly bursts out of his head.
Giorno admits that he was buying time with his talk, but not for Cioccolata's benefit; instead, he was waiting for Gold Experience's power to transform the bullet he shot into his enemy's head. Once it finished its evolution, the bullet-turned-beetle chewed its way through Cioccolata's brain, leaving him mortally wounded. When a stunned Cioccolata tries to invoke Giorno's deal, the latter simply declares that he was lying; a man like Cioccolata never deserved his mercy. As Cioccolata tries a desperate last attack, Gold Experience delivers a lengthy and vicious beatdown, ultimately sending the mad surgeon into a garbage truck. Green Day's mold disappears with him.
Chapters / Episodes
- “Secco, you've got all of that, right!? Those looks of desperation on their faces as they clung to life!... Ooooooooh!! Good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good!!! That's an excellent recording, Secco!”
- “The spiritual power of humans emerges when their curiosity is stimulated. It is not the will to live, but curiosity which drives humans to evolve! I can't wait to see! I can't wait to see how these people will die...”
- “Life energy is no match for my Green Day, I'll rot these vines away!”
- “Curiosity is... the most important factor to spiritual growth. (『好奇心』は⋯精神の成長において最も大切なものだ"Kōkishin" wa... seishin no seichō ni oite motto mo taisetsu na mono da)”
- “You see, Giorno Giovanna, I believe there are two cases in which happiness exists. The first is when despair turns into hope, then you become happy. When you caught the heli in your plants, I was just so panicked, I truly felt despair. But, I survived. I used my experience and mental strength to make a comeback and right now I feel happiness because of it... I truly do. [...] And the second situation where you feel happiness is...! When you look down on someone as they fall into despair!”
- “There's nothing your Gold Experience can do to change the end results, Giorno Giovanna... and it ends with victory for Cioccolata!”
- “Let me see the look on your face at the moment your hope burns out and your life reaches its end! Show me your despair as you fall! Uwahahhahahahahahaha!!!!”
- “The strong are qualified to rule over the weak... No, fate commands the strong to rule over everyone else.”
- “B-But you promised... ...that if I stayed still... you wouldn't harm me... (さ、さつき、じ⋯じつとしてれば⋯な⋯にもしない⋯言つたくせに⋯⋯Sa, saki, ji... ji to shitereba na... ni mo shinai... genta kuse ni...)”
In the light novel JORGE JOESTAR, an iteration of Cioccolata lives in the 37th universe, named Dolcio Cioccolata (ドルチオ・チョコラータ Doruchio Chokorāta). Dolcio Cioccolata is an internationally wanted criminal with the Italian police, Interpol, CIA, and FBI having records of him. Working for Passione, Cioccolata sold drugs in America and had been involved in terrorist activities. Like his original universe counterpart, he was formerly a doctor and made one of his victims, Secco Rottario, into his servant.
Nero Nero Island, where the base of Passione is located, suddenly grows legs and starts moving through the ocean headed toward Morioh. Some ordinary citizens panic and attempt to escape at the harbor. Cioccolata, Secco, Prosciutto, Pesci, Ghiaccio, and Melone ambush and murder them. Secco's Evil Dead conceals the harbor, making their actions invisible to those within the island, such as Bruno Bucciarati. One man manages to escape and tries waving desperately toward Morioh for help before he is killed as well. The Mafia members move the bodies out of sight by dropping the bodies in the water between the boats, or by tossing them into the tall grass by the side of the road to the harbor.
Nero Nero Island suddenly crashes into the barrier surrounding Morioh and flips upward. Its propulsion causes it to tear through the barrier and lands into Morioh Harbor. Cioccolata and the others start firing bullets and rocket launchers at random civilians and houses in Morioh, attempting to shoot Jorge Joestar as well when he runs by underneath them. The mafia members then jump off the island and head to Budogaoka gymnasium with several weapons.
Following the orders of Giorno Giovanna, Cioccolata kidnaps Morioh's mayor Denta Shishimaru and the rest of the citizens gathered in the gym by vacuuming them up with his Stand. He brings them to Bucciarati at Budogaoka Academy Garden to try finding any Stand users who can help them get a lead on where their boss is hiding.
Bucciarati later reveals that they swore an oath not to kill any civilians. He thanks Jorge for informing him of Cioccolata and Secco's secret betrayal and presumably deals with them afterwards.
- According to Araki, his character may have been influenced by talk of quack doctors and murderers back then, around the time of Vento Aureo's publication.
- For unknown reasons, Cioccolata's name was changed to Cioccolato (チョコラート Chokorāto), the masculine equivalent of Cioccolata, part-way through the fight in the original Weekly Shonen Jump serialization, though this change was reverted in the tankobon release.
- It was never explicitly stated whether he died in the manga, but it was confirmed in JOJOVELLER.
- Cioccolata is the first and only antagonist to suffer a 7-page fist barrage, also making him the antagonist to suffer the longest beating of any other. According to JOJO A-GO!GO!, this was the first time in shōnen manga history that a "seven-page beatdown" was featured.
- The volume release of Cioccolata's lengthy beatdown from Giorno includes two extra pages drawn by Araki. This double-paged spread was not present in the Weekly Shonen Jump version.
- In the anime adaptation of Vento Aureo, the beatdown lasts for thirty seconds, making it the longest beat-down in the entire anime to date.
- Cioccolata is mentioned in the second episode of the Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan TV Drama. His name appears on a book titled Cioccolata's Operative Orthopaedics, based on the real life book named Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics.
- In the official app, Cioccolata won first place in both polls of scary Part 5 characters and enemies with the most impressive defeats.