Sorbet and Gelato
Sorbet (ソルベ Sorube) and Gelato (ジェラート Jerāto) are two posthumous tertiary characters featured in the fifth part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Vento Aureo.
They are deceased members of La Squadra Esecuzioni, who were executed by the Boss because they tried to unmask his identity. Their deaths create a grudge between the members of Squadra Esecuzioni and Passione, leading to the group attempting to find the Boss's daughter to reveal his identity.
Sorbet and Gelato are two men of average heights and builds. Sorbet has dark hair that is gelled straight up with a large widow's peak. He wears a long-sleeve collared dress shirt. In the anime, his shirt is tucked in and he also has a belt and suit pants.
Gelato has a short, light messy hairstyle and wears earrings. He wears an untucked turtleneck long-sleeve shirt with several pockets. His belt is on top of the shirt.
In the anime, the two wear the same shade of toenail polish.
Little is known about Sorbet and Gelato's personalities, as they died prior to the events of Vento Aureo. However, they are described as heinous criminals and were always very close, leading to rumors about the true nature of their relationship. They are rebellious as they decide to defy the rules of Passione. Sorbet and Gelato risking their lives to investigate the Boss's identity by themselves could indicate either overconfidence or bravery.
The anime expands on their personalities. Illuso teases that they're a couple and might be getting it on somewhere since they were missing. Risotto Nero mentions that the two are motivated by money and that Sorbet specifically would never miss out on a chance to get rich. He always made sure to show up and claim his share after assassination missions. When the group realizes they must have tried discovering the Boss's identity, Illuso isn't surprised of the possibility since the two were insane.
- Main article: Sorbet & Gelato's Stands
As late members of La Squadra Esecuzioni, both Sorbet and Gelato were likely Stand Users, however their abilities were never revealed in the story. According to JOJO A-GO!GO!, this is inferred through Pericolo's remarks in Chapter 469 and the diagram in Chapter 470.
Sorbet and Gelato are introduced during Formaggio's recollection of his motivations for wanting to kidnap Trish Una. Both were members of Passione specialized in assassination and were always so close to each other that they were rumored to be a couple. Apparently disgruntled by the lack of money their boss granted them, they attempted to pursue his identity to steal his territory. This results in the two being abducted. Sorbet and Gelato's team attempt to search for them but to no avail.
Gelato is tied up and forced to watch Sorbet being cross-sectioned into thirty-six pieces with a sharp knife, starting with his toes. His face distorts in fear during the torture. Gelato becomes overcome with fear and despair seeing his partner gruesomely tortured. He commits suicide by swallowing his cloth gag into his throat to suffocate, saving himself from further terror. Gelato's corpse was found dead on the sofa in his house, with the cloth still stuck in his throat and a note attached that read "Punishment".
Days later, thirty-six individual cross-sections of Sorbet are delivered in individual packages to the assassin team. Each body part was preserved in formalin and placed inside frames.
In the anime, Pesci realizes that it's Sorbet based on the color of his nail polish. The team members mourn for their loss and Risotto eventually tells them to forget all about Sorbet and Gelato. They decide to never pursue the Boss's identity again until they find out the Boss had a daughter.
They are later shown being recounted by Risotto Nero as he remembers his rebellion against the boss to avenge them.
Chapters / Episodes
- Chapter 475: Narancia's Aerosmith, Part 6 (Flashback) (Death)
- Chapter 516: The Boss's Last Orders (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 544: King Crimson vs. Metallica, Part 1 (Cover only)
- GW Episode 10: The Hitman Team (Flashback) (Death)
- GW Episode 21.5: determinazione
- GW Episode 27: King Crimson vs. Metallica (Mentioned only)
- GW Episode 28: Beneath a Sky on the Verge of Falling (Mentioned only)
- Purple Haze Feedback Chapter 4: tu ca nun chiagne (Mentioned only)
Stardust Shooters (Android/iOS)
- SP Campaign
- Special Quest Reward - April Fools' Day
- In the Italian version of Vento Aureo, Sorbet's name was changed to "Sorbetto." This is because Sorbet is a French word and not Italian.
- The deaths of Sorbet and Gelato were likely a reference to Luca Brasi's murder of two enemy mafioso in The Godfather (novel) series, in which one is hacked to pieces alive (Sorbet) and the other swallows his cloth gag to save himself from a gruesome death (Gelato).
- The preservation of Sorbet's body in formaldehyde and resin frames, when mailed to the hitman squad was also likely inspired from Damien Hirst's The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living and other similar works, in which the cadaver or body of a dead specimen is (sometimes) chopped into multiple segments, soaked and preserved in formaldehyde, and suspended within a resin frame, filled with formalin solution to preserve the structural integrity and appearance of the body.
- ↑ GW Episode 27: King Crimson vs. Metallica
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Chapter 475: Narancia's Aerosmith, Part 6
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Chapter 470: Narancia's Aerosmith, Part 1
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 GW Episode 10: The Hitman Team
- ↑ JOJO A-GO!GO!: STANDS, p.120
- ↑ GW Episode 10: The Hitman Team,The anime reveals that they were kidnapped by Cioccolata and Secco.
- ↑ GW Episode 10: The Hitman Team, In the TV anime, Formaggio discovers Gelato's corpse inside an unspecified house.
- ↑ Chapter 545: King Crimson vs. Metallica, Part 2