Daiya Higashikata (東方 大弥 Higashikata Daiya) is a secondary character featured in the eighth part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, JoJolion. Introduced as an antagonist in the "California King Bed" story arc, Daiya becomes a neutral character in subsequent arcs.
Daiya is the outgoing youngest of Norisuke Higashikata IV's four children. When Josuke Higashikata is introduced to the family, she develops a crush on him. Daiya is a Stand User and can take memories away with her California King Bed.
Daiya is portrayed as an outwardly "cute", petite teenage girl. She has long, dark hair (originally chin-length) with eyebrow-level bangs, and large, dark eyes. Her outfits usually feature headwear with faux bear ears and occasional vertically-striped thigh highs. She has a notably curvaceous figure; Kaato explains it is common for female members of the Higashikata family to have huge breasts up until age 20.
Daiya is the youngest member of Norisuke Higashikata IV's progeny at 16 years of age. She projects a cutesy look, between the toy-like nature of her Stand's appearance and the game-playing it facilitates, her childlike possessiveness of and offense at Josuke Higashikata's betrayal and the playful manner of her speech. Daiya is also quite jovial and enthusiastic about anything that catches her attention, giving an impression of lively innocence. Daiya for instance becomes briefly interested in learning how to ride a motorcycle when Josuke mentions it; and she also is the only member of the family who is open to the idea of meeting Kaato Higashikata her mother, seemingly ignorant of her crime and being open unlike Joshu. Finally, Daiya is the only one who supports Joshu's idea of turning the devastated family orchard into a mushroom hunting ground. She is close to her father, who tends to spoil and is overprotective of her, and she returns this affection for her father.
Daiya is infatuated with Josuke. After engaging him with her Stand, she assumes a threatening possessiveness and even seemed to display jealousy. While she was erasing Josuke's memories, she has a much more seductive behaviour and shows herself to Josuke in order to seduce him. However, upon her defeat, she settles for a warm preference. Josuke finds Daiya as an easy source of information and guidance in the Higashikata household by relying on her need for him to like her, as if to atone for her prior actions. Josuke rarely asks her for assistance, but she does help him in any way she can although she doesn't involve herself in any fight. Her assistance doesn't go further than minor things such as fetching a paper for Josuke. However, he seems to have grown somewhat fond of her at the very least as a friend. Her affection makes her keep close to Josuke whenever he's in the house and she often clings to him.
Daiya is severely sight-impaired, being barely able to see light or read a paper right under her nose, yet she is highly self-reliant and capable of orientation, at least within the family home.
- Main article: California King Bed
Daiya's Stand, California King Bed, allows her to capture a person's memories after engaging and beating them in a unique game. There are specific rules in said "game" and if the victim/target breaks these rules one memory of theirs is taken. Once the memory is taken, the victim will not remember anything related to that specific memory.
Memories that are taken are placed into an item resembling a chess piece with a pearl in the middle of it and a picture that has something to do with the memory (e.g. a memory about riding a bike would have a picture of a bike). It is impossible to physically take the memories once they are inside and if the chess pieces are destroyed, the memories in them are lost forever. The only way to regain stolen memories is for Daiya to step in the victim's shadow.
Although she is nearly blind, Daiya possesses an uncanny awareness of her surroundings when she's in her house, which compensates for her handicap. By her own admission, Daiya knows a lot about the layout of the Higashikata House and where most, if not all objects are kept. Daiya even knows where each light is situated and how the sunlight enters the house, making it almost impossible to step on her shadow as she knows how to move and orientate herself to avoid her targets being freed from her ability.
Daiya was born the second daughter and youngest child of Norisuke Higashikata IV and Kaato Higashikata. When Daiya was two, she fell into the area where the Wall Eyes are nowadays. Her vision continuously worsened from that instant, but she acquired her Stand California King Bed in exchange.
At one point, Kaato went to prison but Daiya was too young to remember her, thus she forgot about her mother.
Daiya is first seen when Josuke is introduced to the family, she questions him if he likes the Misty Mellotron, an electronic instrument. When her father asks Josuke to look after her. She refuses to be treated in a special way for being blind, saying that he should act natural. She quickly infatuates herself with Josuke. Josuke slips up when he consciously puts a tea cup in front of her, thinking she might pour water on the table. California King Bed's ability triggers and a memory of a mark is extracted from Josuke. Daiya decides to explain to a worried Josuke the rules of the game she is playing with him. Every time she starts to fuss over Josuke, a memory of his is extracted. However, if Josuke can step on her shadow, he will recover his memory. Josuke realizes that in his state, that Stand is particularly dangerous, although Daiya seems more interested in flirting with him than outright harming him.
Daiya asks Josuke to accompany her to her bedroom as she wanted to change her clothes in order to go shopping. While she is in her closet, Josuke uses the opportunity to have Soft & Wet plunder the sound from the closet's light switch when he flips it off. Thus, the light of the bedroom would create a shadow of Josuke in the closet that Daiya would step on. However, she hears Josuke make an unnatural movement and easily deduces his plot. Josuke tries to switch the light on, but Daiya doesn't let him move. He decides to run for the phone to call his only ally Yasuho but as he composes Yasuho's cellphone number, his memories of her are extracted. Daiya sees that Yasuho's memories have been extracted and decides to use the fact that she is now the only woman Josuke has any significant memory of to seduce him. She and Josuke lie together on her bed, and Daiya asks Josuke to propose to her. Josuke almost falls for Daiya when the bubble in which the switch's sound was stored pops, prompting Daiya to abandon her seduction and check if Josuke isn't tricking her again. Discovering nothing, she decides to go shopping.
Daiya and Josuke begin to leave the estate. This time Josuke fakes being still behind Daiya by extracting his voice and popping the bubble near her, and hangs on a nearby tree branch. However Daiya notices that Josuke isn't hugging her. Josuke's memory of his Soft & Wet are extracted, to Daiya's delight. However she begins to hear the ringtone of her cellphone inside the house. Josuke then reveals that he hid the phone and remembers having called someone important to him. Daiya gets angry over it and almost destroys the memory of Soft & Wet. She then forces Josuke to go fetch the cellphone, following him closely. It is revealed that Yasuho is calling back Daiya's number. Josuke retrieves the cellphone and on Daiya's order, closes the fridge's door. When Daiya realizes that it is Yasuho on the line, she snaps and almost destroys his memories. However Josuke then comments that Daiya is stepping on his shadow right now.
Josuke regains all his memories and explains that he used the phone as a final bait. He planted a bubble prior to going out of the house, which would store the closing sound of the door. Because Daiya is blind, Josuke could fake the door being closed by having the bubble pop, all while the memory of his ability was stolen, which would guarantee his honesty. Daiya is defeated. She fears that Josuke won't love her anymore, but Josuke reconciles with her, and asks her to help in his investigations. He even kisses her in the cheek, to Daiya's satisfaction. Afterwards, she explains that the mark is a publisher's mark at the same time Josuke and her break into the upper room which is an office donned with a library.
Subsequently, Daiya still clings to Josuke but doesn't make any further effort to antagonize him.
When Jobin returns, Daiya is given a coconut ashtray, which amuses her despite the fact that she doesn't smoke.
Hato eventually introduces her new boyfriend Tamaki Damo to her whole family, including Daiya who is excited at the prospect of meeting her sister's first boyfriend. Since she is blind, Daiya asks Josuke if Damo is handsome but Josuke prefers not to comment. When a fax for Josuke arrives, Daiya takes it and barely reads the name "Josefumi Kujo" on it. Daiya runs to Josuke in the foyer to hand it the paper. However, Damo is revealed to be the malevolent leader of the Locacaca Organization's trade group. Damo's Vitamin C liquefies her on the spot. However, Damo is eventually defeated by Hato and killed by Josuke, making everyone return to normal.
One morning at the Higashikata's, Norisuke begins his morning breathing exercises while Daiya leaves a DVD box on the couch. Daiya mentions the DVD, which is from the exercise guru Miki Ryousuke, and Norisuke goes to pick it up, Kaato finally giving it to him. It takes a while for everyone to properly register that a strange woman is sitting on their couch. Kaato, berating Norisuke for having never mentioned her, comments on how Daiya, Joshu and Hato have grown, exposing herself as their mother. Daiya, curious about Kaato, is told by her mother to come hug her, but Joshu pushes a chair and makes Kaato trip. Joshu then begins to antagonize Kaato, then tricks her into undressing herself, exposing his skepticism about Kaato's relationship with the family. Kaato's cards fall over, causing a curious Joshu to pick them up, but a chair suddenly appears from one of them, impaling Joshu in the jaw. Furious, Kaato scolds Joshu for underestimating her and is outraged that her love for her family isn't returned. Kaato leaves offended while Jobin enters the family room and nonchalantly reveals that he was the one to let her in.
Daiya is subsequently seen having breakfast at her family's home, during which she eats a bunch of Joshu's fish sausages.
She is then present at the meeting between the Higashikata Family, Josuke and Rai Mamezuku, Norisuke's plant appraiser. She doesn't say anything until Joshu proposes to turn the burned down orchard until the site for a mushroom hunting tour, at which point Daiya tells him that everyone has left already but expresses her support as a fellow younger sibling.
On the day of the harvest, a string of events result in the Higashikata Family catching Jobin and Mitsuba trying to drown Paisley Park. Daiya is forced to see her family tearing itself apart as Norisuke exposes Jobin's murder of Ojiro Sasame and Jobin induces a heat stroke in Norisuke with Speed King. Jobin then tells her to help move the unconscious Norisuke to the second floor. Eventually, the family also realizes that Jobin is also a victim of Akefu's Stand.
Later, Tooru, the user of Wonder of U, infiltrates the Higashikata residence to retrieve the Locacaca plant from Yasuho. Daiya is caught along the Stand's calamity ability as the plane flying towards Yasuho lands inside the house. Investigating the commotion, she and Hato go to the garage only to find their mother Kaato and their brother Jobin's corpse. They watch as Kaato utilizes her Stand Space Trucking to pin down Tooru and use his body to perform an equivalent exchange with Tsurugi. The exchange is successful - Tooru disintegrates and Tsurugi immediately recovers, although Kaato is revealed to have been stabbed due to Wonder of U's ability. With the family curse broken, the Higashikata family attend to Norisuke, who is in an incapacitated state, while an ambulance arrives in the estate.
Days later, the Higashikata family go to the Higashikata Fruit Parlor to order a cake as a celebration for Norisuke's discharge the next day, as well as a new beginning in the Higashikata family history. While choosing a cake made by the Higashikata parlor, everyone breaks down into tears, including Daiya, Hato, Tsurugi, Joshu, and Mitsuba. Tsurugi then insists Josuke to choose a cake. With the family reunited once again, Yasuho Hirose sheds a tear before exiting the room.
- “Hey, what do you think about the misty mellotron?”
- “Don't fuss over me... that's your job, just act natural. I know everything there is to know about the room. I can pour tea myself. I know where the doors are, where the phone is, where the remote is... what's in the fridge, the places to put away the knives and the ustensils, where the trash can is... I know all about what's going on everywhere in it. So dooon't fuss over me.”
- “I'm not trying to put pressure on you or anything. But not acting natural is... a land mine. Understand? A land mine. Just like a prog rock band that has a fight and disbands... even if you try to put it back together again, things will never go back to how they used to be...”
- “Fairness is rules, and rules are power... (『公平性さこさルール』 『ルールこさパワー』なの…"Kōheisei sako sa rūru". "Rūru ko sa pawā" na no...)”
- “You can't go making me worry... That's a rule.”
- “Its name is California King Bed-chan! Can you see it?”
- “Caaalifooorniaaa... I can take just one memory from a person...! (『キャ～～ルフォ～～ルニャア～～』 人の「記憶」をひとつだけもらえるのよオ……！"Ka~~rufo~~runia~~"... Hito no 'kioku' o hitotsu dake moraeru no yo...!)”
- “Have you ever thought about true happiness? True happiness...? I already know. Happiness is to share memories with someone. Being together, going places together, seeing things together, hearing things together, eating together, laying around together, thinking together, that's happiness...”
- “I love you, Josuke. I'll always have your memory here with meee.. sharing them. One by one, lots of them, lots and lots... that happiness is my goal.”
- “Josuke, do you like big and fluffy girls?”
- “Josuke, I've become the... first girl you've acquainted with, huh...? I'm all you know...”
- “Hey, do you think I'm cute? Am I...? I've never seen how I look, of course... So I wonder if I might look that way... Do I?”
- “The boy has to be the one to say it... The boy has to say it first... The girl can't say it... (男の子から言かのよ……最初は男の子…女の子からは言わないのOtokonoko kara iu ka noyo... Saisho wa otokonoko... Onnanoko kara wa iwanai no)”
- “I really love Josuke. I want to kiss him and lick him all over soon... and I want him to love me. And to immerse myself in those memories...”
- “There's nothing left that can protect or help you anymore. All you have in the world is me... Do you like me?”
- “It could only be Yasuho, isn't that right?! She's the only person you would call...”
- “If this is a call from Yasuho... then he can say goodbye... to these two chess pieces... and the concept... of his important things itself... I'll completely extinguish it from this world...”
- “...That's it. You've really done it now... You got Yasuho involved in this... The one thing you shouldn't have done... DISAPPEEEEAAAR!”
- “Hey... Josukeee. I... I... Do you... not like me... now?”
- “We had to cancel our family trip to Hawaii... PANCAKES! So today we put on our bathing suits just so we'd have the feeling of a poolside breakfast!”
- “I love this spot! Right here! I love this part of you, Josuke!”
- “Here's miiiiiine! It's an ash tray made from broken coconuuuut! It's a souveniiiiir! But I'm only sixteeeeen... And nobody in our family smokes, why'd he give me an ashtraaay?”
- “Electriiiic shooooooooock!”
- “Is she... my mommy? [...] Is that... really who she is? She's our mommy? [...] I had a mom this whole time?”
She's also a support in the game, having one voice line performed by Saori Hayami. She says, "Caaaaalifoooooorniaaaaa! It lets me take a single human memory...! (『キャ～～ルフォ～～ルニャア～～』。 人の「記憶」をひとつだけもらえるのよオ・・・・・・！ Ka~~riforunia~~. Hito no kioku o hitotsu dake moraeru no yo...!)"
- In Japanese, daiya is a phonetic shorthand for daiyamondo (ダイヤモンド, meaning "diamond"), keeping with the "card" naming theme of the Higashikata girls.
- When riding a bicycle she makes a reference to the single "Bicycle Race" by Queen, continuing a tradition of Queen references across both incarnations of Morioh, previously centered on the Stand Killer Queen.