Dire (ダイアー Daiā) is a secondary ally featured in the first part of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, Phantom Blood.
Dire is a Ripple user studying under the Ripple master Tonpetty, alongside Straizo. As a close friend of Will Anthonio Zeppeli, he aids Jonathan in his fight against Dio Brando and his army of zombies.
Dire is a very muscular mature man who has chiseled facial features and has light hair and an oversized flattop with a widow's peak.
He wears ample cotton clothes with padded tissue shoulder pads, with fringes of cloth sticking out from his shoulders and ankles. He also wears a leather vest and dark wristbands. He rolls up his sleeves to let his arm in the open.
His design changes significantly in the anime where he loses the leather armor for a simple vest that covers the arm, and instead wears a gorget and metallic shoulder pads. Moreover, the fringes are reduced to a pair of spikes coming out of the shoulder pads.
Dire is portrayed as a fierce but honorable Ripple user and fighter. Upon meeting Jonathan, he tests Jonathan's fighting ability at countering an imperfect Thunder Split Attack, and later asks Jonathan that he lets him fight Dio one on one to avenge his friend Will A. Zeppeli. Even in death, Dire is determined, taunting Dio one last time by sending a Ripple-infused rose into the vampire's eye.
Dire has shown incredible mastery of the Ripple. He has complete control of his body and its speed, to the point of making afterimages when moving. He manipulates his speed to look slower than he actually is, a technique to make enemies over-confident and eventually lower their guard. He is also able to infuse objects with the Ripple and manages to use it just after being decapitated (on a rose), with the remaining oxygen in his brain.
Dire was a good friend of Will Anthonio Zeppeli, who trained with him and Straizo to be Ripple masters under Tonpetty. When Tonpetty received a letter from Zeppeli revealing the location of the Stone Mask, Dire travelled to Windknight's Lot with his master and Straizo.
Dire first introduced himself after suddenly attacking Jonathan, where Dire used his Thunder Split Attack against him. However, Jonathan countered the move by headbutting him. The Ripple user then revealed that he only attacked Jonathan to test his strength and see if he really was Zeppeli's friend. To prove he came to help, Dire gave Jonathan the letter Zeppeli wrote.
Before Dio Brando and Jonathan had their last fight, Dire fought Dio to avenge Zeppeli. However, even Dire's best attack, the Thunder Cross Split Attack, didn't stand a chance against Dio's Freezing Attack, which completely turned his body into ice and then shattered it. Dire, now only a head, was able to use his last ounce of Ripple energy to shoot a rose into Dio's eye. For that, Dire's head was turned into ice as well and destroyed.
Chapters / Episodes
- Chapter 36: The Three from a Faraway Land, Part 1
- Chapter 37: The Three from a Faraway Land, Part 2
- Chapter 38: The Three from a Faraway Land, Part 3 (Death)
- Chapter 39: Fire and Ice, Jonathan and Dio, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 44: Fire and Ice, Jonathan and Dio, Part 6 (Flashback)
- Episode 7: The Successor
- Episode 8: Bloody Battle! JoJo & Dio (Death)
- Episode 9: The Final Ripple! (Flashback)
- Episode 10: JoJo of New York (Flashback)
- “My name is Dire. (我が名はダイアーWaga na wa Daiā)”
- “Certain death! Thunder Split Attack! (必殺！
稲妻空烈刃！！Hissatsu! Sandā Supuritto Atakku!!)”
- “I, Dire, will sink you into the depths of Hell! (このダイアーがおまえを地獄の淵に沈めてやる！Kono Daiā ga omae o jigoku no fuchi ni shizumete yaruǃ)”
- “You fell for it, fool! Thunder Cross Split Attack! (かかったなアホが！
稲妻十字空烈刃！Kakatta na aho gaǃ Sandā Kurosu Supuritto Atakkuǃ)”
- “Heheh... Th-That rose thorn infused with the Ripple is p-painful... isn't it...? Ha... (フフ……は…波紋入りの薔薇の棘はい、痛か……るう………フッFufu... Ha... Hamon-iri no bara no toge wa i, ita ka... ru... Fu...)”
Phantom Blood (PS2)
Dire appears as a playable character in 77 Rings Knights Mode, some battles in Extra Battle Mode, and Chapters 19 and 20 after Story Mode is beaten. His moveset consists of mainly normal punches and kicks, with his special Ripple move being Thunder Split Attack. He can also throw Ripple-charged roses and dodge attacks in a similar fashion to how he controlled his body speed in the original story.
- Story Mode Replay: Chapters 19, 20
- Extra Battles 21, 22, 24, 25, 31, 32
- 77 Rings Knights Mode: Ripple Warriors
All-Star Battle (PS3)
Dire appears as a support character in the game's Campaign Mode, where he uses his Thunder Split Attack on the player's opponent, which will reduce their health by 40% if successful. If the player pays an extra energy point, he will instead use Thunder Cross Split Attack, dealing 30% more damage. He is also available as an avatar image and quote for the player's profile in Campaign and Online modes.
Diamond Records (Android/iOS)
JoJo's Pitter-Patter Pop! (Android/iOS)
All-Star Battle R (Various)
A character from Part 1: Phantom Blood. One of the Ripple users who shows up to support Zeppeli. He uses a Thunder Split Attack to test Jonathan, and later the Cross version on Dio, but is beaten both times. Though Dio's Vaporizing Freeze technique kills him, he manages to give Jonathan a hint as to how to beat Dio.
Dire is featured in All-Star Battle R with a list of Tag Lines (プレイヤーカード名言 Pureiyā Kādo Meigen). They are unlocked by completing 70 Secret Missions in All-Star Battle Mode.
- “Gotcha, sucker!”
- “My name is Dire!”
- “My special move, Thunder Split Attack!”
- “Thunder Cross Split Attack!”
- “The thorns of this Ripple-laden will have you writhing in agony!”
Dire asking Jonathan and company to stay back, while seeking revenge for Zeppeli (Part 3 OVA Timelines)
- Dire's English voice actor also plays Jack the Ripper and Wamuu.
- ↑ Joseph Joestar - Vol.1 "Shueisha Jump Remix Battle Tendency Edition" P44 The Secret of JOJO Characters
- ↑ JoJo 6251 timeline, pg. 139
- ↑ Chapter 36: The Three from a Faraway Land, Part 1
- ↑ The Three from a Faraway Land (story arc)