Shinobu Kawajiri (川尻 しのぶ Kawajiri Shinobu) is a secondary character featured in the fourth part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Diamond is Unbreakable.
Shinobu is Kosaku Kawajiri's indifferent housewife and Hayato's mother. Her dull life is brightened when her husband mysteriously changes his demeanour and her love for her husband is renewed, unaware that Kosaku is in fact Yoshikage Kira in disguise.
Shinobu is a woman of seemingly average height and slim build, with hair that is parted to the right and tied back in a low ponytail. Sometimes, like in her first appearance, she will tie back several locks of hair that are part of her bangs.
She wears several different outfits throughout the series, most of them having skirts and patterns such as polka-dots.
Shinobu has a personality closer to that of a younger woman than a responsible mother, detesting her marriage. While she felt no hatred towards Kosaku, her relationship with him was cold and full of regret. She wished for more excitement in her life and often lashed out at her husband and son out of frustration. Though she resents her son for trapping her in her marriage, she occasionally reaches out to him, only to be ignored. She is very pleased when he finally begins to return her affection.
However, once her husband's appearance is stolen, her relationship with her "husband" improved as his new sudden care for her. From cooking meals, stealing money for the landlord, and protecting her from Stray Cat, Shinobu's romantic affections for her "husband" are rekindled, excited by his sudden change in personality. By the end of Part 4, she lovingly awaits his return but is unaware that both her original husband and the man who took his identity are gone.
She claims to have the type of character that is usually liked by cats.
Shinobu first met Kosaku Kawajiri in community college and dated him because her friends thought he was cool. They married when she became pregnant. After years in a passionless marriage, she has grown to resent her husband and would have divorced him long ago if not for their son Hayato.
Diamond is Unbreakable
Shinobu's feelings for Kosaku change when, unbeknownst to her, Yoshikage Kira takes on his appearance in an attempt to hide from Josuke Higashikata. In an attempt to blend in with Kosaku's family, Kira starts to treat her well, and Shinobu suddenly finds herself harboring romantic feelings towards her spouse after many years.
Shinobu eventually encounters Tama in the cellar of her house. Trying to scare it away, Shinobu accidentally causes the cat's death. Wanting vengeance, Tama, reincarnated in the Stand Stray Cat, attacks her by ripping off one of her toenails using its ability. She is saved from its attack by Kira, leaving her more in love than ever.
On the morning of Bites the Dust's time loop, Shinobu's favorite Wedgwood china tea set is destroyed. She initially lashes out at Hayato, taking this as proof that he doesn't care about her at all, and tells him to go ahead and do whatever he wants from now on. Kira calms her down and kisses her goodbye as Hayato watches angrily.
The last time the morning is repeated, Hayato avoids the conflict with his mother and kisses her goodbye for the first time in years, promising silently to protect her. She is confused but pleased by the change in his demeanor, and ignores Kira.
After Kira is killed, Hayato does not have the courage to tell her that Kosaku is dead, and Shinobu continues to wait for her husband to come home.
Chapters / Episodes
- Chapter 369: Atom Heart Father, Part 5
- Chapter 370: Yoshikage Kira's New Situation, Part 1
- Chapter 377: Yoshikage Kira's New Situation, Part 2
- Chapter 392: Cats Love Yoshikage Kira, Part 1
- Chapter 393: Cats Love Yoshikage Kira, Part 2
- Chapter 394: Cats Love Yoshikage Kira, Part 3
- Chapter 395: Cats Love Yoshikage Kira, Part 4
- Chapter 396: Cats Love Yoshikage Kira, Part 5
- Chapter 397: Cats Love Yoshikage Kira, Part 6 (Voice only)
- Chapter 411: My Dad Is Not My Dad, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 412: Cheap Trick, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 418: Another One Bites the Dust, Part 1
- Chapter 419: Another One Bites the Dust, Part 2
- Chapter 420: Another One Bites the Dust, Part 3
- Chapter 421: Another One Bites the Dust, Part 4
- Chapter 423: Another One Bites the Dust, Part 6
- Chapter 424: Another One Bites the Dust, Part 7
- Chapter 425: Another One Bites the Dust, Part 8 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 429: Crazy Diamond Is Unbreakable, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Chapter 439: Goodbye, Morioh - The Golden Heart
- DU Episode 25: Atom Heart Father
- DU Episode 27: I'm an Alien
- DU Episode 28: Highway Star, Part 1
- DU Episode 29: Highway Star, Part 2
- DU Episode 30: Cats Love Yoshikage Kira
- DU Episode 34: July 15th (Thursday), Part 4
- DU Episode 35: Another One Bites the Dust, Part 1
- DU Episode 36: Another One Bites the Dust, Part 2
- DU Episode 39: Goodbye, Morioh - The Golden Heart
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 14: Desolation Row (37th universe) (Mentioned only)
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 16: Beyond II (Alternate universe)
- “I guess I have to spend another night with that insensitive ass.. The only words he ever says between getting home from work and leaving the next morning are "food", "bath", and "sleep".”
- “It's too much trouble to turn and greet him. I'll just pretend I didn't notice. I have no interest in you at all. It'd be better if you never came back home, you cheap bastard.”
- “I don't get this kid either... It's because of you I was roped into this marriage in the first place! And because of you I can't get a divorce either! You're just like your damn father.”
- “I know right now, I should be afraid, and maybe disdainful of this scumbag of a husband... But after witnessing that brazen theft firsthand... for the very first time... after more than a dozen years of living together... How romantic! ...Is all I can think!”
- “Was he going to undo the buttons for me? He said "I didn't mean to scare you"... The way he's been acting lately makes me nervous... and... excited. I think I'm finally falling for him...”
- “I was glad. That was the closest thing [Kosaku and I have] ever really been. So this morning is the happiest I've been in a long time.”
- “Look, I'm being totally submissive, right? Have you calmed down? Can we be friends now?”
- “This is your fault! Why do you keep ignoring me!? Fine! If you won't treat me like your mother, I won't treat you like my son!”
- “Oh, you don't have to wait [for Kosaku]. [The food is] getting cold. Go ahead and dig in. I'll wait a bit longer myself.”
In the light novel JORGE JOESTAR, an incarnation of Shinobu lives in the 37th universe. She appears the same and is still the wife of Kosaku37 and mother of Hayato37. However, she works as an election official. After detectives get closer to finding Yoshikage Kira37, he brutally murders Shinobu and Hayato.
In one of D4C's parallel worlds, Jorge Joestar37 and Kars suddenly enter her house one day while Shinobu and her family are eating dinner.
Seeing Kars, Kosaku orders Shinobu and Hayato to run away. Shinobu is at a loss seeing her husband's reaction and accidentally bumps the table, knocking over hot soup on her hand. She asks what's going on and whether Kosaku knows them. Kosaku once again desperately asks his family to leave causing Shinobu to drag Hayato out of the house's back door.
- ↑ Diamond is Unbreakable Model Sheet - No.MC00-36A
- ↑ Chapter 370: Yoshikage Kira's New Situation, Part 1
- ↑ JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 14: Desolation Row
- ↑ JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 16: Beyond II