Norisuke Higashikata I
Norisuke Higashikata I (初代 東方 憲助 Shodai Higashikata Norisuke) is a tertiary character featured in the seventh part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Steel Ball Run, and briefly mentioned in the eighth part, JoJolion.
Norisuke is a Japanese competitor in the Steel Ball Run race. He accumulates significance in JoJolion when he is revealed to have established the success of the Higashikata bloodline, founding the Higashikata Fruit Company.
Norisuke is a mature man of average to above-average height and medium build. He wears small, dark spectacles, a short beard, and very short, sparse hair; with his head covered in many small patches. Norisuke has two navels (although his ancestors only bore one).
He wears plain pants but has a distinctive jacket covered in large decorative patches like chainmail.
Norisuke is armed with a rifle.
Norisuke appears to be a nice if not somewhat eccentric old man.
He displays some pride in his achievements, pointing out his position of 1st place in the fourth stage to push Hot Pants to let him use a water well first. He is also quick to talk about his two navels and mentions that they made the newspapers. His participation in the Steel Ball Run shows a great deal of confidence, which is backed up by his ability to stay among the top racers of each step of the race.
However, he is also quite polite despite his tendencies to brag about himself.
Despite his old age, Norisuke has shown to be rather perceptive and he is implied to have smelled that Hot Pants was a woman.
How skilled he is at horseback riding is unknown. However, he seems to be professional, as he ended up being second place in the Steel Ball Run race.
According to Tsurugi Higashikata's explanation of the Higashikata family's superstitious beliefs of warding away "demons of sickness", Norisuke, being the firstborn son of his family, was raised as a girl until age twelve.
Steel Ball Run
Norisuke is able to place 1st during the fourth Stage of the Steel Ball Run race. Following the end of the fourth stage, Norisuke is seen trying to get water for his horse while talking with Hot Pants about how he had gotten first place. He directs her to a newspaper with an article on him, revealing the fact that he had two navels. According to the newspaper, Norisuke's navels were one of the oddities of the world and current research was being conducted on them by several medical experts. He asks Hot pants if she wanted to touch them, though she refuses out of disgust. He states that she had made the right choice, as it would have been improper of someone like her to touch it.
During Gyro and Johnny's fight with Sandman in the 5th stage, Norisuke is seen watching from afar from within the field of corn. Initially suspected to be the owner of the enemy Stand, he walks towards the protagonists to ask them about the current situation, only to be stabbed from behind by Sandman. At the end of the fight, he appears to be fine, presumably healed by Hot Pants.
|Steel Ball Run Race Statistics|
Norisuke Higashikata finishes the race in 2nd place with a total of 353 points. In the aftermath of the race, he is seen on board the ship that Johnny Joestar boards, and greets him with a salute. A younger Japanese woman is seen standing beside him which is eventually revealed as his daughter Rina Higashikata.
Norisuke is mentioned in JoJolion to have used the prize money from the race to start a successful business importing foreign fruit - a business his descendants continue to maintain well into 2011.
Norisuke had also written a complete record of the Steel Ball Run, detailing the statistics and results of the race. In the back of the book is a Higashikata family tree where it describes his family, consisting of his wife, Teru, and their four children.
- SBR Chapter 12: First Stage: Disqualified from Victory (Mentioned only)
- SBR Chapter 31: Scary Monsters, Part 4 (Mentioned only)
- SBR Chapter 32: Third Stage Goal: Cañon City (Mentioned only)
- SBR Chapter 40: Silent Way, Part 1
- SBR Chapter 43: Silent Way, Part 4
- SBR Chapter 44: Silent Way, Part 5 (Mentioned only)
- SBR Chapter 45: The Promised Land: Sugar Mountain, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SBR Chapter 51: Wrecking Ball, Part 1
- SBR Chapter 57: Civil War, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- SBR Chapter 60: Both Sides Now, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SBR Chapter 74: D4C, Part 7
- SBR Chapter 90: High Voltage, Part 1
- SBR Chapter 91: High Voltage, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- SBR Chapter 93: High Voltage, Part 4
- SBR Chapter 94: The World of Stars and Stripes
- SBR Chapter 95: The World of Stars and Stripes - Outro
- JJL Chapter 7: Josuke, Go to the Higashikata Family (Mentioned only)
- JJL Chapter 11: Family Tree (Photo only)
- JJL Chapter 23: Paper Moon Deception, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- The kanji spelling of Norisuke's name was only later revealed on the family tree in JoJolion. When Norisuke was first introduced in Steel Ball Run, his name was originally written in katakana as "Norisuke Higashikata" (ノリスケ・ヒガシカタ).
- Norisuke shares his hometown of Sendai with Hirohiko Araki, the author of the manga.
- ↑ In SBR Chapter 40, it is stated in a newspaper that Norisuke is 68 years old. Since the race takes place in 1890, he would've been born around 1822. However, JoJolion's Higashikata family tree states that Norisuke was born in 1846, which would put his age at 44 during the Steel Ball Run race. Thus, there is a massive age discrepancy of 24 years.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 SBR Chapter 40: Silent Way, Part 1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 JJL Chapter 11: Family Tree, p.18
- ↑ JJL Chapter 23: Paper Moon Deception, Part 1, p.23
- ↑ JJL Chapter 7: Josuke, Go to the Higashikata Family
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 JJL Chapter 11: Family Tree
- ↑ JOJOVELLER