All-Star Battle ★ DIO
DIO from Stardust Crusaders also has the Stand Style, wielding The World which he can turn "on/off", changing movesets, as well as having access to the Stand Rush ability returning from the Capcom game, Heritage for the Future, being able to attack in conjunction with his Stand.
As with his Part 1 iteration, this DIO is also voiced by Takehito Koyasu for the first time.
DIO's Special Costume B is from JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE OVER HEAVEN, a light novel written by Nisio Isin with illustrations drawn by Hirohiko Araki, and released as part of the special JoJo 25th anniversary project "VS JOJO".
DIO has 840 HP.
Any knives thrown using "And one more just in case!" or DIO's HHA hang in the air, notably doing more damage if they hit the opponent after time resumes than if they were to have connected immediately. He may use his HHA or GHA with impunity if he has enough of the HHG left to do so. DIO is even capable of hitting opponents that were down when the ability was activated, 'resetting' them into a standing position once hit. The ability is best used with normal attacks in mind in order to deal the most damage within the stopped time, as they execute quickly and their damage reduction within stopped time is insubstantial.
If DIO's Throw, the attack variation of "I'll give you one chance", "Oh, this suits me well!", HHA, or GHA is used, time will immediately resume with the HHG drained to zero.
If fighting against Jotaro or himself, DIO can use this ability to move within the other fighter's stopped time, and may even outlast his opponent if their HHG runs out first.
- Light () - The World delivers an uppercut in front of DIO, knocking the opponent off their feet. This doubles as an anti-air attack. (Flash Cancel comboable)
- Medium () - The World appears a distance forward and delivers a downwards punch, knocking the opponent straight to the ground to down them.
- Heavy () - The World appears a distance forward, close to the ground, and delivers a low punch, knocking the opponent off their feet. This version of the attack is a low attack that must be blocked crouching. (Flash Cancel comboable)
If "Time, stop!" is active, The World does not flash forward and instead flies into position before attacking.
- Light () - DIO gains super armor while walking, allowing him to shrug off non-Throw/HHA/GHA attacks while simultaneously approaching them. Once he begins walking, he may cancel this variation into any of his other specials.
- Medium () - DIO will automatically perform a Stylish Evade if the opponent strikes him. This can only happen during a small window of his walking length, otherwise he is vulnerable.
- Heavy () - If he makes contact with the opponent, DIO will uppercut them into the air as an unblockable Throw. (Flash Cancel comboable)
If "Time, stop!" is active, DIO does not flash forward and instead delivers the attack from a stationary position. (Flash Cancel comboable)
- Medium () - DIO and his Stand reappear a short distance forward by stopping time before delivering the attack, and the punch becomes unblockable.
- Heavy () - DIO and his Stand reappear a larger distance forward by stopping time before delivering the attack, and the punch becomes unblockable.
If "Time, stop!" is active, neither DIO nor The World move forward and instead deliver the attack from a stationary position.
If "Time, stop!" is active, the HHA will change to simply DIO and The World both launching a multitude of knives in a fanning wave, but deal less damage. If quick enough, the HHA can be performed twice during stopped time if DIO's Heart Heat Gauge has three stocks, ultimately dealing more damage than the HHA's original version, but only if the knives strike after time resumes instead of immediately due to the damage reduction effect of stopped time.
This HHA bears similarity to Shadow DIO's "Checkmate" super from the Capcom game.
If Jotaro specifically inputs his "I stopped time..." ability over the course of the GHA, a special animation will play where DIO is blindsided by Jotaro stopping time and reappearing behind him, before the two clash and break away from each other. While this doesn't negate the full damage of the whole attack, it does negate the damage of the road roller's explosion, making the GHA deal less than half of its total damage. DIO and Jotaro are also left at opposite ends of the arena, rather than DIO holding the advantageous position of his opponent being left downed and close to him after the attack.
During combat, DIO can use a multitude of different attacks that were featured in Stardust Crusaders. The World possesses great utility, allowing him to effectively battle from most ranges, primarily midrange. Many of his moves utilize his Stand's ability and power to deliver surprise attacks and break through defenses with unblockable moves. Even in the absence of his Stand, DIO by himself has an above-average set of abilities that can still effectively counter a predictable offense, and even steal his opponent's health as per his vampire powers.
His control over time provides uniquely powerful options; not only within his characteristic time stop that leaves the opponent completely at his mercy, but also with the ability to escape combos at the cost of Heart Heat. This way, if DIO has enough Heart Heat, he can both force his opponent to approach and challenge him with the threat of him stopping time, and simultaneously keep them cautious when actually attacking him, as certain combos on their part cannot be guaranteed.
However, DIO has much lower than average health compared to the average character, making mistakes and losing interactions very costly for him. When not in Stand ON, his odd abilities can take some time to fully grasp, and thus he can feel a bit weaker without The World active. Finally, DIO's best combos are of a higher level of execution than most, requiring good practice and familiarity to properly execute. Aside from characters considered better than him, DIO has a natural enemy in none other than Jotaro, as Jotaro has specific means of countering DIO exclusive to him alone that can turn the advantage against him.
True to his character, DIO is a versatile and complex fighter, wielding an impressive variety of abilities and skills, and thus boasting many options for not only offensive but also defensive purposes. Overall, he builds upon a balanced, jack-of-all-trades character archetype, combining his time-stopping powers with vampiric abilities to unleash immense combo damage.
- DIO was the most voted character for the fan-vote All-Star Battle League and even won the tournament, beating Jotaro Kujo in the final match.