Made in Heaven
Made in Heaven (メイド・イン・ヘブン Meido in Hebun) is a Stand belonging to Enrico Pucci, featured in the sixth part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Stone Ocean.
It is the final evolution of Pucci's Stand, preceded by Whitesnake and C-MOON, with the ability to accelerate time using gravitational forces for everything except living things. It was considered by DIO to be the ultimate Stand and the key to achieving "heaven."
Made in Heaven takes the appearance of a thin, masculine humanoid fused at its waist to the front end of a horse, resembling a two-legged centaur. A large cable, forming a clean arch, joins the humanoid half between its shoulder blades to the truncated posterior of the horse.
Its head is slightly elongated with a long vine wound around the top. The center of its face has a smooth, black surface and a large speedometer embedded in the region of where its eyes and nose would be. The rest of its face is lighter, matching the colors of its body. It has long feathers protruding out of its neck and the sides of its forearms are slightly furry.
The horse half of its body wears blinkers and reins, held in the hands of the humanoid half.
In contrast with its predecessors, it does not have "GΔCT" symbols on its body. Instead, the Stand has large clocks embedded in its shoulders, forearms, hands, and on the horse's forehead, shoulders, and blinkers, and a speedometer on its face.
Made in Heaven is the perfected form of Pucci's ability. It is an extremely powerful close-range time-controlling Stand. Although its physical abilities may not be remarkable, its control over time grants it an overwhelming speed advantage.
However, Pucci isn't particularly interested in Made in Heaven's time acceleration, but rather its capability to bring about a new universe with extraordinary properties.
Made in Heaven's power is to accelerate the flow of time dramatically; achieved through its ability to control the gravitational forces of the earth, moon, and seemingly the entire universe (in reference to aspects of the theory of relativity). Upon activation, it can gradually speed up the flow of time for everything in the universe, with the exception of living things which can't catch up. The only ones who can move freely in the accelerated world are it and the user. Stand abilities are also excluded, such as the speed of Kiss's stickers, which are also not affected.
The delay between people's perceptions and the actual flow of time causes everyone to see all non-biological events as being sped up, which is considerably dangerous to living beings. Objects sped up like vehicles and other moving objects become uncontrollable and dangerous. At a certain point, objects will appear so fast that they can produce after images such as the sun rotating at higher and higher speeds in the sky until it becomes a strip of light. Phenomena like melting, freezing, and drying will accelerate until people can no longer react to them. Over time, long term effects such as the erosion of rocks and the decay of objects and corpses will occur as well.
Meanwhile, Pucci himself appears to possess extraordinary speed and reaction time, and effortlessly outspeeds any of his opponents, even Star Platinum. Because of it, he can freely approach and use Made in Heaven to inflict mortal wounds like slitting the throat. However he retains all of his human weaknesses: running or swimming around will tire him, while being exposed to a hazardous environment will endanger him noticeably faster than his opponents.
When time reaches a point where it can no longer accelerate, the universe will loop back on itself, and a new history will begin. Only those living can make it through the loop into the new world. While attempting to sever his fate, Pucci was able to stop the acceleration just before reaching the point where it began.
Every surviving organism from the old universe (even the most insignificant ones like the ants) is brought into the new world and repositioned where they should be according to the date and time Pucci chooses to stop accelerating the universe. To these organisms, the revolution in time will seem to have occurred in a split second. The dead at the time of the appearance of the new universe cannot be brought back. Pucci states that their souls and personalities no longer exist, having been left in the other universe. However, the dead people are replaced by other substitutes, people who will be reminiscent of the dead ones.
The most esoteric property of the new world is that the people who have been brought there will technically have lived everything that has happened and will happen to them in the previous universe, ignoring whatever happened during the time acceleration itself. According to the principles of Fate, everything that has happened in the old universe will happen again in the new universe, resulting in a sort of cycle. As such, the memories of the events that are supposed to happen to the people of the new world are engraved into them and they will subconsciously realize what will happen to them. However, they cannot change the course of their fate. With that, Pucci aims to make humanity directly confront their future and make them feel at peace with their destiny.
If Pucci happens to die during the acceleration of time before the point where he originally activated Made in Heaven, another new universe is created in which the precognitive effects of the previous universe are nullified and the fates of those affected by Pucci are altered. After defeating Pucci, Emporio meets reincarnations of Jolyne, Anasui, Ermes, and Weather Report, all of whom are living different lives from their original counterparts.
Chapters / Episodes
- SO Chapter 148: C-MOON, Part 8
- SO Chapter 149: Made in Heaven, Part 1
- SO Chapter 150: Made in Heaven, Part 2
- SO Chapter 151: Made in Heaven, Part 3
- SO Chapter 152: Made in Heaven, Part 4
- SO Chapter 153: Made in Heaven, Part 5
- SO Chapter 154: Made in Heaven, Part 6
- SO Chapter 155: Made in Heaven, Part 7
- SO Chapter 156: Made in Heaven, Part 8
- SO Chapter 157: Made in Heaven, Part 9
- SO Chapter 158: What a Wonderful World (Death)
- SO Episode 36: Made in Heaven, Part 1
- SO Episode 37: Made in Heaven, Part 2
- SO Episode 38: What a Wonderful World (Death)
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 14: Desolation Row (37th universe)
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 15: Beyond (37th universe)
- Main article: Made in Heaven Ultimate Requiem
Made in Heaven also appears in the novel JORGE JOESTAR, although it belongs to an incarnation of Enrico Pucci from the 37th universe. Later, Kars gets his own enhanced copy of the Stand, known as Made in Heaven Ultimate Requiem.
Made in Heaven and Pucci ending up in Burning Down the House after pushing Weather Report (Stand)'s DISC into Emporio's head
- Originally the name of the Stand was STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN (天国への階段 Tengoku e no Kaidan), based on the song of the same name by Led Zeppelin. Later, in the tankōbon release, it was changed to Made in Heaven, the name of a single by Freddie Mercury and a song and album by Queen.
- ↑ JOJOVELLER: Araki's Stand Commentaries - Made in Heaven
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 JOJOVELLER
- ↑ Volume 80, in-between Stand stats, SO Chapter 154: Made in Heaven, Part 6
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 SO Chapter 150: Made in Heaven, Part 2
- ↑ SO Chapter 154: Made in Heaven, Part 6
- ↑ SO Chapter 156: Made in Heaven, Part 8
- ↑ SO Chapter 152: Made in Heaven, Part 4
- ↑ SO Chapter 151: Made in Heaven, Part 3
- ↑ SO Chapter 155: Made in Heaven, Part 7
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 SO Chapter 158: What a Wonderful World
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 SO Chapter 157: Made in Heaven, Part 9
- ↑ SO Chapter 158: What a Wonderful World, p12