Scotland Yard Inspector
The unnamed Scotland Yard Inspector (スコットランドヤード警部 Sukottorando Yādo Keibu) is a tertiary ally featured in the first part of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, Phantom Blood.
He is a friend of George Joestar I. His first accomplishment as a police officer of Scotland Yard was arresting Dario Brando for stealing George's ring.
The Police Inspector is a muscular middle-aged man. He is bald on the top of his head and has neck-length curly light hair on the back along with long sideburns. He also has a goatee, which is colored dark in the manga but light in the anime. He has a unibrow which is noticeably darker than his hair. He wears small round glasses and a police uniform.
When he was younger, his hair was much thicker, with side-swept bangs on the front.
The Inspector is an emotional police officer, caring a lot for George. In his past, when he first became a police officer, he felt exhilarated to recover such an important and valuable item as George's ring. He is polite to nobles like George but is honest enough to tell George that he's being too naive by forgiving Dario Brando. He scorns criminals like Dario, believing that people like him cannot change.
In 1868, having just started working in Scotland Yard's police force, a young Scotland Yard Inspector arrests Dario Brando as his first accomplishment. Dario had been found trying to pawn off a ring containing a valuable jewel set in platinum. Realizing it was made by a famous jeweler, the police officers visit the jeweler, who remembered making it for George Joestar I. Mary Joestar had given that ring to George, and Dario stole it from George after the couple's carriage accident. The future Inspector wonders why George didn't report its theft.
The officer takes George to Dario's prison cell, but George claims that Dario wasn't lying about George giving him the ring. To the police officer's surprise, George says that it was a gift and commands the officer to release Dario immediately. Baffled, the police officer questions why George would make up such a story. He apologizes for being rude, but says that George is too trusting and that a criminal like Dario would do it again with no remorse.
After looking into the details later, the police officer learns that though Dario had "saved" George's life, he was a criminal regardless. The woman from a bar who was with Dario testified that Dario ransacked all the valuables from the carriage.
At some point, he becomes the inspector of the police force.
In 1888, he arrives at the Joestar Mansion with his police force after being called by George to arrest Dio Brando, Jonathan having proven that Dio planned to kill George. However, Dio suddenly stabs George with a knife in the process of activating the Stone Mask, leading to all of the police officers shooting Dio out of the window. The Inspector curses himself for letting Dario go free years ago; if he hadn't, Dario would have been exiled to an island prison and George would never have adopted Dio. After telling his story to Speedwagon, the Inspector cries at the thought of George's kindness and tragic end.
Speedwagon notices that Dio's body is missing and warns the cop to get away from the window, but his warning comes too late: the Inspector suddenly meets his own tragic end as Dio tears his head off at his maxilla. Having become a vampire, Dio reveals that he was hiding above the window, right behind the Inspector.
Chapters / Episodes
- Chapter 12: Youth with Dio, Part 1
- Chapter 13: Youth with Dio, Part 2 (Corpse only)
- Episode 3: Youth with Dio
- “I-It's all my fault! If only I hadn't let his father go 20 years ago! Agh... This never would have happened had I put Dio Brando's father in that island prison! (わ…わしの責任だ！わしが20年前奴の父親を！ああ…！ディオ・ブランドーの父親を流島の刑にしてればこんなことにはならなかったんだ！Wa... washi no sekininda! Washi ga 20-nen mae yatsu no chichioya o! Ā...! Dio Burandō no chichioya o rutō no kei ni shi tereba kon'na kotoni wa naranakattanda!)”
- “I was young, and it was exhilarating for me to recover such an important item for someone... So I wanted Lord Joestar to see the man who had stolen it for himself... I wanted him to praise me. The thief had taken something from a noble... Under the law, he would undoubtedly end up in an island prison. (わしは若く初めての手柄と人の思い出の品を見つけてあげたことにウキウキしていた…そして犯人をジョースター卿みてもらいたいと思った…ほめてもらいたかったのだ。犯人は貴族の品物を盗ったのだ…法律的にも流島の刑は確実だったWashi wa wakaku hajimete no tegara to hito no omoideno-hin o mitsukete ageta koto ni ukiuki shite ita... soshite han'nin o Jōsutā-kyō mite moraitai to omotta... homete moraitakatta noda. Han'nin wa kizoku no shinamono o totta noda... hōritsu-teki ni mo Nagare-jima no kei wa kakujitsudatta.)”
- “I can't help but cry at what Lord Joestar said next, 20 years ago! (わしは20年前のあのあとのジョースター卿の言動に涙するッ！Washi wa 20-nen mae no ano ato no Jōsutā-kyō no gendō ni namidasuru!)”
- “You couldn't have given him this memento of your engagement! Why?! Why would you make this story up, Lord Joestar?! (婚約記念の大切な思い出の品を 他人にやったりできるものですかーッ！！なぜ！？なぜそんなでたらめをーッ！？ジョースター卿ーッ！！Kon'yaku kinen no taisetsuna omoideno-hin o tanin ni yattari dekiru monodesu ka!! Naze!? Naze son'na detarame o!? Jōsutā-kyō!!)”
- “Lord Joestar... Please... Please allow me to say something, even if it sounds rude... You are too trusting! He's a scumbag, through and through, and he'll do it again! His soul is laughing at you! (ジョースター卿…おえて…おえて無礼を覚悟でひと言…言わせていただきます。卿はおひとよしすぎます！！この悪党はまたやりますよッ！心の中であざ笑っている！あなたを！Jōsutā-kyō... oete... oete burei o kakugo de hitokoto... iwa sete itadakimasu. Kyō wa o hito yoshi sugimasu!! Kono akutō wa mata yarimasu yo! Kokoro no naka de azawaratte iru! Anata o!)”
- “I should have thrown his father into that island prison! If I had, Dio would never have been taken in! (わしは あの時 奴の父親を流島の刑にすべきだったんだーッ！そうすればディオを養子にすることもなかったろう！Washi wa ano toki yatsu no chichioya o rutō no kei ni subekidattanda! Sō sureba Dio o yōshi ni suru koto mo nakattarou!)”
- “His naivete! His kindness! Instead of making Brando's son sweeter... it brought him this tragic end! It was a mistake, and now he's dead because of it! (う…う…あの甘さだ！あのやさしさは、ブランドーの息子を良くするどころか…こんな不幸な結果を招いてしまったんだ…間違いだったんだ！死んでしまったらおしまいじゃ！U… u… Ano ama-sada! Ano yasashi-sa wa, Burandō no musuko o yoku surudokoroka... kon'na fukōna kekka o maneite shimattanda... Machigai dattanda! Shinde shimattara oshimai ja!)”
Eyes of Heaven (PS3/PS4)
In the second demo of Eyes of Heaven, the Inspector is a background character in the Joestar Mansion stage. He runs around the stage and could take damage from players, but would not die. He was removed from the stage in the full game, but his model remains within the game's files. He also has two quotes that can be used for the player's profile card in Online Mode.