California King Bed
California King Bed (カリフォルニア・キング・ベッドちゃん Kariforunia Kingu Beddo-chan) is the Stand of Daiya Higashikata, featured in JoJolion. It can steal and materialize part of someone's memories if they break a rule set by the user.
A toy-like apparatus, California King Bed is composed of a head and five smaller connected units, loosely representing a torso and limbs; all bearing a smiley face. The head is composed of what looks like a U-shaped travel cushion, both ends topped by a simple daisy-like flower; bordering a sort of smiley, surrounded by four large petals, with a cheerful open-mouthed smile comparable to that featuring in Takashi Murakami's work Smile.
California King Bed's ability allows for it to steal particular memories from a person under certain conditions set by its user. While fairly harmless and fitting for the playful Daiya, it becomes rather menacing on people like the amnesiac Josuke, as Daiya can effectively brainwash them.
When the Stand was introduced, it seemed to create a large gash on Daiya's leg. However, when Josuke checked, the gash simply disappeared as if nothing happened. It remains unclear if this is another one of California King Bed's abilities.
California King Bed's ability can steal part of someone's memories if they break a rule set by Daiya. The rules set by her can be anything such as not making Daiya worry. Daiya must be sure that a rule is broken in order to steal a memory.
When activated, the stolen memories are materialized in the shape of a chess piece. The stolen memory itself can vary in nature: it may be the memory of a dream, or the memory of a particular event, or the memory about a particular subject, object or person. Meanwhile, the target will forget about whatever the memory is about, although the feeling of having forgotten something remains.
By touching a chess piece, Daiya may perceive the memory stored inside it. If a piece is destroyed, the memory is lost forever, and damaging the pieces hurts whoever the pieces are from.
If the user steps on the shadow of a person who has had their memories stolen, the memories of that person are returned to them.
Although it is harmless to the average person as the memory is likely to be mundane, California King Bed is more dangerous against someone with few memories. The amnesiac Josuke was manipulated into being seduced by Daiya as she kept taking away his memories.
- JJL Chapter 7: Josuke, Go to the Higashikata Family
- JJL Chapter 8: California King Bed, Part 1
- JJL Chapter 9: California King Bed, Part 2
- JJL Chapter 10: California King Bed, Part 3
- JJL Chapter 110: Higashikata Fruit Parlor (Cover only)
- “Caaaaalifoooooorniaaaaa! It lets me take a single human memory! (『キャ～～ルフォ～～ルニャア～～』 人の「記憶」をひとつだけもらえるのよオ……！"Ka~~rifo~~runia~~"... Hito no 'kioku' o hitotsu dake moraeru no yo...!)”
- California King Bed's design was primarily chosen because Hirohiko Araki wanted to make it "cute and fluffy", since it belonged to a little girl.
- One early design sketch on JOJOVELLER depicts California King Bed with a different design: a rounder head with more wires connecting its units to each other and what appears to be a tail.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 JJL Chapter 9: California King Bed, Part 2
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 JJL Chapter 8: California King Bed, Part 1
- ↑ JJL Chapter 10: California King Bed, Part 3
- ↑ JOJOVELLER: Araki's Stand Commentaries - California King Bed