How to use
Whenever a page is loaded, HotCat looks for the category bar. If there are visible categories, it adds links to easily remove, change or add categories. The new links are:
- "(−)" after a category: when clicked, the category is automatically removed.
- "(±)" after a category: when clicked, an input field to change this category is opened.
- "(+)" at the end of the list of categories: when clicked, an input field to add a category is opened.
- "(++)" at the front: when clicked, enters multi-change mode, allowing modifying more than one category.
If HotCat can detect that a certain category is not in the page text itself but was transcluded onto the page from a template or other transclusion, it will not add these links. Only categories that are present in the wikitext of the page itself can be modified through HotCat.
Removing a single category
To remove a category, simply click the "(−)" link next to the category name. If the page does indeed contain this category, HotCat will remove it automatically. It will
- open a new window or tab in your browser with the current page opened for editing,
- hide the whole edit form, so that you cannot edit,
- edit the page to remove the category, and
- save the page.
Changing a category
To change a category, click the "(±)" link next to the category name. This will open the input box where you can enter a new category name.
Adding a category
To add a category, click the "(+)" link at the end of the category line. This will open the input box where you can enter a new category name.+