Lisa Lisa (リサリサ Risa Risa), full name Elizabeth Joestar (エリザベス・ジョースター Erizabesu Jōsutā), is a main ally featured in the second part of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, Battle Tendency, but introduced in the first part, Phantom Blood.
Lisa Lisa is a Ripple master and mentor to Caesar Zeppeli and Joseph Joestar, residing in Venice but whose past is initially unknown. She leads the Ripple Users' efforts in battling the Pillar Men. Later, it is revealed that she is Joseph's mother.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Abilities
- 4 History
- 5 Chapters / Episodes
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Video Games
- 8 Jorge Joestar
- 9 Gallery
- 10 Trivia
- 11 References
- 12 Site Navigation
Lisa Lisa is a tall and fit woman. Beautiful and poised, she has light eyes and long, dark hair. Lisa Lisa's real age is 50, but her Ripple training has allowed her to appear as though she were still in her late 20s.
Her most known clothes were worn during the last fight with Kars, She wears earrings, a dark strapless dress with shorted-skirt, black pantyhose, a pair of high heels and a long, Ripple-conducting scarf. Occasionally she also wears a pair of aviator sunglasses.
Lisa Lisa is like any Ripple Master, a dignified and courageous woman, facing the Pillar Men without fear, and confidently confronts any challenge she encounters, especially in regards to fighting someone. Lisa Lisa takes some pride in her fighting ability, and tells Joseph that she doesn't need a youngster like him to win. Lisa Lisa is constantly portrayed as a brave woman, being able to bluff Kars into sparing her and Joseph when they are surrounded by vampires without letting any emotion transpire, and in the past, immediately killed the zombie who murdered her husband George II, forcing her to hide in Europe.
As the master of Caesar and Joseph, she skillfully employs harsh and apparently life-threatening training for her students, and is severe to Joseph, whose antics she doesn't tolerate during his training. Being the de facto leader of the Ripple Users, she is an authoritative leader and reminds everyone that their emotions are secondary to their goal of defeating the Pillar Men. After Caesar's death, Lisa Lisa tries to maintain an insensitive facade, telling Joseph to immediately focus on the fight. However, Joseph points out her loss of composure, upon which she breaks down in tears, illustrating her deep feelings for Caesar as a student and comrade.
Otherwise Lisa Lisa behaves like a normal if elegant woman. She managed to reknit another life after her battle against the Pillar Men threat, notably marrying again and coming to live in the United States.
Illustrating her talent and skill, she first appears standing on an oar on a surface of water, turning it into a high bar on charged pillars of water. It is mentioned during the events of the chariot arc that her Ripple is at least three times more powerful than Joseph's. Her ability for training others results in Caesar and Joseph's rapid growth into Ripple masters in their own rights.
Elizabeth was present as a baby on the boat attacked by Dio Brando at the end of Phantom Blood. Elizabeth's mother was killed by a Zombie during the attack and she fell in the engine room holding Elizabeth in her arms, near Jonathan Joestar and Erina. Reminded of his own mother who died with him in her arms, Jonathan requests Erina to leave him and protect the baby. He shields them from an explosion and manages to trap Dio's head in his arms, allowing Erina and the baby to hide in the explosion-proof coffin.
Erina, Elizabeth and the unborn George II were the only living survivors of the destruction of the boat and were eventually rescued near the Canary Islands.
As a young adult, Elizabeth eventually married George II, and they had one son, Joseph. George, unfortunately, was not trained properly in the art of the Ripple, and was killed by his higher-ranking military official after discovering that he happened to be a zombie who had served Dio. Elizabeth murdered her husband's killer, split his body in two with a Ripple-infused karate chop and destroyed his body with the Ripple. However, a passing major witnessed the act. The military, unaware of such things as Zombies, thought that Elizabeth committed a simple murder and burned the commander's corpse. The army broadcasted news of Elizabeth's crime and she became a fugitive, taking the name of "Lisa Lisa" and hiding in Venice, in Air Supplena Island. The Speedwagon Foundation helped her to erase all evidence of her existence.
Afterwards, Lisa Lisa collaborated with Mario Zeppeli in order to find a way to stop the Pillar Men, but Mario was killed by a trap. Incidentally, Mario sacrificed himself for his own estranged son, Caesar Anthonio Zeppeli, who came to Lisa Lisa and underwent some Ripple training.
Battle Tendency (1938-39)
Disguised, Lisa Lisa accidentally crosses path with Caesar and Joseph near the canals and recognizes her son. However, she fights him to test his ability. Lisa Lisa easily wins and although she is impressed by Joseph's natural level, she notes his lack of skill and forces him to wear a special Ripple-breathing Mask to force him to breathe the Ripple continuously. Lisa Lisa then brings the two men to her island and tosses them immediately at the bottom of the Hell Climb Pillar to force them to surpass themselves. Watching them without pity, Lisa Lisa sees Joseph trying to climb with a rope and cuts it. Lisa Lisa witnesses Joseph passing the trial in his own unique way and tolerates that Caesar helps him climb the last stretch of the pit. Joseph initially seeks revenge but Lisa Lisa gives him an upside down glass of water which Joseph can contain without effort. Impressed, Joseph immediately accepts her as his master. Lisa Lisa then subjects her two students to a month of hellish training with the help of her assistants Loggins and Messina.
Near the end of the month, Lisa Lisa reveals that she's in possession of the Red Stone of Aja and mentions that destroying it would make fighting the Pillar Men just that much more difficult hence why she keeps it on her person. Esidisi manages to steal the stone from her when she was taking a bubble bath and attempted to attack her while she was naked and vulnerable while possessing her maid Suzi Q but is saved with the help of Joseph and Caesar. Under a hypnosis power, Lisa Lisa manages to read Suzi Q's thought and discovers that Esidisi has sent the Red Stone of Aja to Switzerland.
In here, the Stone is intercepted by a squad of German soldiers and their mysterious commander invites the group to his chalet. That same night, Kars infiltrates the chalet and almost manages to steal the Stone. By following the exact address of Esidisi's package, the group discovers the lair of the Pillar Men: an abandoned hotel. Eager to fight, Caesar and Messina go first to the hotel, followed by Joseph and Lisa Lisa. However, Wamuu manages to kill Caesar and gravely wounds Messina. Lisa Lisa sees that Caesar has been crushed by a rock and though she tries to keep her composure, she eventually cries for her student. Lisa Lisa and Joseph decide to head further into the hotel and are attack by a Vampire named Wired Beck. Lisa Lisa effortlessly kills the Vampire. She and Joseph finally enter a large hall where Kars and an army of a hundred Vampires wait for them. However, Lisa Lisa manages to bluff Kars by mentioning a time bomb that will explode if she does not return and negotiates a contest: two one-on-one battles for the fate of the Red Stone. Kars accepts and releases Joseph to bring the Stone.
That night, the contest begins. Lisa Lisa thus observes closely the match between Joseph and Wamuu. After Joseph wins, Lisa Lisa steps in. She fights Kars and seemingly is gravely defeats him with a Ripple kick to the head, but it is revealed that it was merely a double; she is stabbed in the back from the real Kars' light blades and loses consciousness. Kars takes the Red Stone and sics his Vampires on Joseph but the Speedwagon Foundation and Rudol von Stroheim's unit come to the rescue equipped with UV lights. It is eventually revealed that she is Joseph's long-lost mother, despite her youthful appearance. Joseph manages to protect Lisa Lisa but Kars manages to combine the Red Stone with a Stone Mask and uses Stroheim's UV light to activate the Mask. He becomes the Ultimate Being.
After Joseph fights and wins against Kars, he is thought to have died. A funeral is organized and Lisa Lisa participates in it, only to see Joseph coming to them and reveal that he was alive all along.
Lisa Lisa personally reveals to Joseph that she is his mother later after Joseph's "funeral". She eventually remarries a Hollywood screenwriter in 1948 when she is 60 years old. It is mentioned that Joseph talked to her about the Joestar Birthmark at an undisclosed period of time.
Chapters / Episodes
Lisa Lisa makes a cameo appearance in the Capcom arcade game. When Joseph performs his "Teachings" super move, images of Lisa Lisa briefly appear as Joseph whispers her name while he blasts the opponent. If the same super move is done by "JOJO" (Part 2 Joseph), Caesar will appear instead of Lisa Lisa.
Lisa Lisa makes her first playable appearance in the PS3 game as a DLC character (along with Old Joseph, as part of Campaign #2, named "Ripple Masters"). As a Ripple-user character (along with Jonathan Joestar, Will Anthonio Zeppeli, Joseph [Both Parts 2 and 3], and Caesar), Lisa Lisa can recharge her Heart Heat Gauge through "Ripple Breath" by holding down the Style button, performing a pose, as well as deliver enhanced versions of skills if Style is inputted in place of normal attack buttons. As a Ripple master, Lisa Lisa's Ripple Breath replenishes the HHG faster than most other Ripple users, being roughly 150% of the normal rate and tying with Zeppeli's for fastest in the game.
All of Lisa Lisa's moves begin or are part of a "Ripple Chain" exclusive to her playstyle, allowing her to successively chain as many moves together as she desires. However, there are recovery gaps in-between looping attacks so as to prevent the chain from becoming an inescapable perpetual combo.
- Cold and Composed: After a move that begins/loops the Ripple Chain is performed, Lisa Lisa will automatically reset into a neutral stance with a spin, during which the Ripple Chain may be continued on input.
- Not one move wasted: Lisa Lisa slides clockwise to the opponent's side, granting her some invulnerability and evading many attacks. This skill activates Ripple Chain.
- It's like I told you: Lisa Lisa performs a short jump followed by a spinning kick. This skill activates Ripple Chain.
- Ripple Master!: Lisa Lisa performs a downward strike as her hand is infused with the Ripple. This skill activates Ripple Chain. If Ripple-enhanced, the move does more damage and leaves the opponent crumpling, leaving no room for recovery between attacks.
- Blasphemy is prohibited: This move can only be performed in mid-air. Lisa Lisa throws a knife downward. This skill activates Ripple Chain upon her landing. If Ripple-enhanced, the knife shocks the opponent, hitting them up to five times and leaving no room for recovery between attacks.
- All I need is this scarf!: A Ripple Chain attack. Lisa Lisa smacks the opponent with her Ripple-infused scarf. This attack can either follow up with a skill that continues the Ripple Chain or a finisher.
- Smooth as silk: Lisa Lisa follows up by dashing toward the opponent. This skill loops the Ripple Chain.
- Die with regret: A Ripple Chain attack. Lisa Lisa performs a flip and drop-kicks the opponent, before landing on her feet. This move is a middle attack that cannot be blocked if the opponent is crouching. This attack can either follow up with a skill that continues the Ripple Chain or a finisher.
- Get away.: Lisa Lisa follows up with a back-flipping kick. This skill loops the Ripple Chain.
- Settle this with style: A Ripple Chain attack. Lisa Lisa performs a spinning double kick while on one hand. This move is a low attack and cannot be blocked if the opponent is not crouching. This attack can either follow up with a skill that continues the Ripple Chain or a finisher.
- Futile!: Lisa Lisa follows up by leaping over the opponent. She may perform a normal air attack while airborne, but doing so will cancel the Ripple Chain. This skill loops the Ripple Chain.
- You picked a bad time to test me: This move is a Ripple Chain finisher. Lisa Lisa infuses the Ripple into her scarf and twirls it, hitting the opponent and leaving them crumpling. If Ripple-enhanced, this attack does more damage, but immediately knocks the opponent down, leaving no room to continue a combo.
- Snake Scarf: This move is a Ripple Chain finisher a middle attack that can only be blocked if the opponent is standing. Using her scarf to prop her up, Lisa Lisa delivers a potent drop kick. If Ripple-enhanced, this attack does more damage. This move can also hit downed opponents.
- Be prepared to die!: This move is a Ripple Chain finisher as well as an unblockable Throw. Lisa Lisa flips over the opponent and sends a pulse of Ripple directly into their head with both hands crossed (similar to how she placed the breathing mask on Joseph). If Ripple-enhanced, this attack does more damage.
- Throw - Ripple Focus: Lisa Lisa, using just her index finger, sends a blast of Ripple into her opponent.
Lisa Lisa's HHA, "Super Aja", begins with her holding the Red Stone of Aja high above her head. After a short delay of channeling Ripple power into it, she fires off a powerful laser at a downward angle. The HHA is unblockable. If the opponent is hit, they will be knocked to the ground as Lisa Lisa states that she has to protect the Stone.
Lisa Lisa's GHA, "I dare you to try it!", is as a counterattack. Lisa Lisa twirls her scarf around her similar in fashion to a ballerina. If the opponent's non-Throw melee attack hits, they'll be knocked into the air via a blast of Ripple. Wrapping the scarf around the opponent and using the Ripple to trap them, Lisa Lisa says that it is Satiporoja Beetle-thread, conducting 100% of the Ripple. She will rapidly assault the airborne helpless opponent with a flurry of Ripple-infused punches and kicks, all whilst noting that the scarf was specially made and expensive. Lisa Lisa finishes by delivering a final back-flipping kick as she retrieves the scarf. Notably enough, this GHA deals roughly 37% of the opponent's max health in damage, making it the second most powerful Great Heat Attack in the entire game, bested only by Diavolo's, whose GHA deals 42%.
Lisa Lisa also appears on the stage "The Battlefield" as a background character along with Kars. If Joseph is one of the combatants ingame, Lisa Lisa will cheer him on. This is assuming that Lisa Lisa herself is not part of the fight.
Lisa Lisa always starts the match wearing sunglasses; If she get hit by a HHA/GHA, she will drop them on the stage (making her the only character in the game who can lose an item of clothing during a match). Lisa Lisa's alternate costume features her Italian Oarsman's outfit worn during her debut; By wearing this costume, a mask will replace the sunglasses.
Lisa Lisa was confirmed for the game alongside Pet Shop.
As a Ripple User, Lisa Lisa has a Ripple Gauge that determines the strength of her attacks. Filling up the gauge will automatically empower her Normal and Powerful Attacks, and enhance/alter the properties of all her skills. It will also shorten the cooldown time on said skills. Using skills will drain a portion of the Ripple Gauge until there's an insufficient amount to use.
- Style Action - Ripple Breathing: Lisa Lisa performs a pose and Ripple Breathes, filling up the Ripple Gauge. She cannot move and is vulnerable to attacks while doing so.
- Snake Scarf!: Using her scarf to prop her up, Lisa Lisa delivers a potent drop kick, causing any opponent hit to be crumpled and be left open to further attacks. This move can be cancelled into a jump before the attack is delivered, causing her to leap forward. If Ripple-enhanced, the skill executes quicker and Lisa Lisa gains invincibility through the attack until she cancels or finishes it.
- All I need is this scarf!: Lisa Lisa swipes her Ripple-infused scarf horizontally to smack opponents. Opponents hit will be sent into the ground and bounce high into the air. If Ripple-enhanced, the skill does more damage to an opponent's guard. It will also deal more damage depending on how much of the Ripple Gauge is filled.
- You picked a bad time to test me!: Lisa Lisa infuses the Ripple into her scarf and twirls it, ensnaring and drawing in opponents caught. This move can be cancelled with a Normal Attack. If Ripple-enhanced, the skill will execute quicker.
- Blasphemy is prohibited!: Lisa Lisa leaps backwards into the air and throws a knife, knocking down any opponent hit. If locked-on, she will throw the knife at her target, otherwise throwing it downward at an angle. The knife itself has slight homing capabilities. If it hits the ground or a wall, if will stick to that surface and act as a Ripple trap, sending out its energy to crumple opponents that touch it. If Ripple-enhanced, Lisa Lisa throws two knives, and if locked-on, one of them will land in front of the opponent. This skill will deal more damage depending on how much of the Ripple Gauge is filled.
- EX - Blasphemy is prohibited!: The skill executes quicker and Lisa Lisa gains invincibility through the attack. She will always throw the knives downwards and the Ripple trap lasts longer.
- EX - All I need is this scarf!: The skill executes quicker and does even more damage to an opponent's guard. Lisa Lisa also gains invincibility through the attack.
- As smooth as silk!: Lisa Lisa must connect the Normal finishing move of a ground combo. (200 Points)
- Every move has a purpose!!: Lisa Lisa must use any Ripple-enhanced skill three times. Any skill will count as long as she lands five of that same skill. (200 Points)
- I'm going to make you even uglier!: Lisa Lisa must perform a combo with at least 30 hits. Landing either of her DHAs will automatically achieve this. (300 Points)
- Shut your mouth, and hide that ugly face!: Lisa Lisa must survive the first 20 counts of the battle timer without taking any damage. (500 Points)
- I haven't lived this long for nothing! I don't need sympathy from some teenager!: Lisa Lisa must Retire an opponent without losing a single health gauge. (800 Points)
Dual Heat Attacks
- Solo - Give me a hug? Just try it.: It works the same as the one from All Star Battle, except it no longer begins as a counterattack.
- With Joseph - This master and student's beat will cut you deep!: Running up to the opponent, Lisa Lisa strikes with multiple Ripple-powered kicks and a scarf swing, before Joseph ties up the opponent with a rope he had laid during her assault. They then channel a Ripple surge into the Red Stone of Aja, causing it to launch a deadly beam at the helpless opponent.
If paired with Jonathan Joestar, Lisa Lisa will respond with excitement for the chance to fight alongside her savior and father-in-law.
Unlike the previous game, where her main outfit consisted of clothing she wore during the early portion of the Switzerland arc, her attire now reflects the one worn during her battle with Kars, though her main pose is based on the cover of Chapter 72. The costume's color is also based on her anime appearance.
Diamond Records (Android/iOS)
Lisa Lisa appears in Diamond Records as a playable character in both the Action Battle and Tactical Battle game modes. She has a variety of unlockable statues varying between the 'Tactical' and 'Fighting Spirit' types, ranging from 3 stars to 6 stars.
Lisa Lisa's moveset in both game modes is comprised of various ripple-based attacks inspired by the anime. As a ripple user, Lisa Lisa has an advantage over vampires, zombies, and pillar men.
- Basic Attack String: Lisa Lisa's basic attack string is a combination of up to five various attacks comprising of different hand strikes and kicks. In Tactical Battle, this is cut down to only three hits.
- Blue Skill 1: Lisa Lisa jumps in the air to kick her opponent. In Tactical Battle this skill gives the opponent a defense debuff if it hits successfully.
- Blue Skill 2 (Unlockable): Lisa Lisa throws a ripple-charged knife at her opponent, functioning as a ranged projectile.
- SP Skill 1: Lisa Lisa strikes her opponent with her scarf and conducts the ripple through it.
- SP Skill 2 (Unlockable): Lisa Lisa turns upside down and does a 360 spin kick, hurting any opponents near her. In Tactical Battle, this skill hits all opponents present on the stage.
- Cinematic SP Skill: In the cutscene, Lisa Lisa wields the Red Stone of Aja, in which she charges with hamon and uses to fire a powerful beam with a long range. In Tactical Battle, this skill hits all opponents present on the stage.
- 3 Star SP Skill: Lisa Lisa uses her scarf to do a flip and perform a Snake Muffler on her opponents. This skill replaces SP Skill 1 in Lisa Lisa's 3 star statue.
Moveset Videos (Tactical Battle)
JoJo's Pitter-Patter Pop! (Android/iOS)
- Main article: JORGE JOESTAR (Novel)
In an illustration made by Otaro Maijo, Lisa Lisa's full name is Elizabeth Straizo (エリザベス・ストレイツォ Erizabesu sutoreitso), taking Straizo's name instead of the surname Joestar, which was given to her when marrying George Joestar II.
- Araki personally admits that he's fond of female characters who are capable of fighting for themselves. He commented on his intents to have Lisa Lisa portrayed with "uncommon realism" for women in shonen comics, but he was held back from going as far as he would have liked with her.
- Rose from the Street Fighter series is based off of Lisa Lisa; Rose's outfit is almost identical to Lisa Lisa's and both share a similar fighting style that consists of channeling energy into their scarfs (Soul Power in the case of Rose and Ripple in the case of Lisa Lisa). Additionally, both characters like to take baths and Rose's stage in Street Fighter Alpha 2 is Venice, which is the same city where Joseph Joestar meets Lisa Lisa in the story.
- Iku Nagae from Touhou Project fights with a scarf that emits (electric) sparks in an homage to Lisa Lisa.
- In a piece from the Hirohiko Araki JoJo Exhibition 2012, Lisa Lisa is depicted with a Joestar Birthmark, despite her not being a Joestar by blood.