Whitesnake (ホワイトスネイク Howaitosuneiku) is the Stand of Enrico Pucci, featured in the sixth part of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, Stone Ocean.
Whitesnake possesses the ability to create illusions and manipulate a person's psyche into two types of DISCs, from which can be mainly extracted from and then inserted into someone else's head, allowing them to either see the DISC owner's memories or use their Stand.
Whitesnake is a humanoid Stand of a height and build similar to Pucci's. It is sparsely clothed in dark leather, donning a piece of mask-like headgear that extends from its absent nose to a point slightly below its scalp, terminating in a series of sharp peaks spanning two-thirds the height of its head in a crown-like arrangement.
Its attire is based on Araki's image of an executioner. Its light skin is marked by horizontal stripes of roughly an inch's height, with "GΔCT" (after the four nucleobases of DNA) repeatedly written on every other stripe. Its irises are also unique, appearing as if they are melting. These typically flow downward, but may change orientation with the expression of particularly strong emotions like rage or intense concentration.
Although never explicitly stated, it would seem that Whitesnake's acidic composition renders it visible to non-Stand Users, as evidenced by its interactions with candidates for receipt of Stand abilities and generally reclusive nature.
Though it is controlled by Pucci, sharing his views and following given orders to the letter, Whitesnake is fully self-aware and possesses a developed personality entirely different from its user's.
While docile, it speaks in a cold, condescending and overly familiar tone with its underlings, generally using the pronoun kimi (君) when addressing them. As its preferred method of maintaining authority, it erodes its agents' confidence by reminding them that it can reclaim their Stand abilities just as easily as they were given. This also persuades more hesitant ones into compliance.
However, Whitesnake is easily enraged at anything it perceives as an inconvenience. When opposed by subordinates, it insists that they learn their place by exploiting their weaknesses. Despite this short temper, at no point does it lose sight of its objectives, and will doggedly pursue them in the face of great adversity, unless its actions risk exposing Pucci's identity.
Keeping his hands washed from the activities of his Stand, Whitesnake acts as Pucci's mouthpiece and avatar throughout Green Dolphin Street Prison, serving to enforce his dominance over inmates and prison staff while Pucci himself watches from afar. Whitesnake's cruel and bitter nature, combined with its nightmarish power, has prompted nearly universal submission to the priest's rule.
As a long-distance Stand, Whitesnake possesses an extended range (about 20 meters), allowing its user, Enrico Pucci, to act undetected within the boundaries of Green Dolphin Street Prison. Despite this, it displays strength similar to that of close-range Stands with it being strong enough to fight Stands like Stone Free head-on. It is also capable of performing precise and deadly movements like stabbing Diver Down and Foo Fighters with its hands, due to having its own strong ego.
Whitesnake is also incredibly fast with it being equal to or faster than Stands like Stone Free and Weather Report, although it is still slower than Star Platinum. Thus, Pucci relies on Whitesnake's esoteric set of powers to ambush enemies and take them down in one strike.
- Main article: DISC
Whitesnake's primary ability is to manipulate people's spirits in the form of special DISCs only it can manifest and preserve.
Whitesnake can first and foremost extract a portion or the entirety of a person's psyche out of their bodies in the form of tangible DISCs and then put them into people. To do so, Whitesnake must touch its victim and take the time to physically "extract" the DISC from them; as such, partial extraction is ineffective.
There are two main types of DISCs: Memory DISCs contain a person's memory and Stand DISCs contain a person's Stand. DISCs may be inserted into another person's head, allowing them to either freely consult the memories inside or use the corresponding Stand, much like the original user. Pucci can use this mechanic to force a detrimental power into someone, for example, putting a water-boiling Stand DISC inside Foo Fighters despite its dependency on the water to survive. In certain instances, those with inserted DISCs can eject them, presumably through enough force to the head.
People whose Stand and Memory DISCs are extracted will fall unconscious and may die, their bodily functions stopping and having to be maintained through machines. Putting a Memory DISC back inside their rightful owner will restore them, however, the same does not apply with Stand DISCs. A Stand user with only a Stand DISC can regain consciousness and be capable of learning, but the loss of their will to live results in muscle atrophy and eventual death of the body. Weather Report is an exception to this degradation for unknown reasons.
Whitesnake also demonstrates the ability to insert and extract DISCs of miscellaneous use. DISCs in Pucci's possession can be issued instructions that the host will instinctively obey without question, and enables them to do seemingly impossible feats like exploding, showcasing the power of suggestion over a physical body. This extent of psyche manipulation could be expanded to the point which Whitesnake can fully control a person's mind through direct contact, to which Pucci can control his victim as long as his Stand inserts itself into their head. Pucci has also inserted a music CD into Guccio's head, causing him to function as a music player. Whitesnake is shown to be able to extract DISCs of his user's senses, depriving Pucci of his sight, for instance, to protect him from Heavy Weather.
Whitesnake is born from Pucci's desire to preserve Perla's memories after her death, so this manifests into its ability to extract DISCs able to preserve the memories and soul of a person.
Chapters / Episodes
- SO Chapter 16: The Visitor, Part 6 (Ability)
- SO Chapter 17: The Visitor, Part 7
- SO Chapter 18: The Visitor, Part 8
- SO Chapter 19: The Visitor, Part 9
- SO Chapter 20: Prisoner of Love
- SO Chapter 21: Ermes's Sticker, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 22: Ermes's Sticker, Part 2 (Stand DISC only)
- SO Chapter 23: Ermes's Sticker, Part 3 (Stand DISC only)
- SO Chapter 24: Ermes's Sticker, Part 4 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 25: Ermes's Sticker, Part 5 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 26: There's Six of Us!, Part 1 (Stand DISC only)
- SO Chapter 32: Foo Fighters, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 33: Foo Fighters, Part 3
- SO Chapter 34: Marilyn Manson, the Debt Collector, Part 1
- SO Chapter 40: Operation Savage Garden (Head to the Courtyard!), Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 49: Torrential Downpour Warning, Part 2
- SO Chapter 50: Torrential Downpour Warning, Part 3
- SO Chapter 58: Ultra Security House Unit (Flashback)
- SO Chapter 60: The Secret of Guard Westwood, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 62: The Secret of Guard Westwood, Part 3 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 65: The Secret of Guard Westwood, Part 6 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 67: Enter the Dragon's Dream, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 78: Yo-Yo Ma Is Coming!, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 79: Yo-Yo Ma Is Coming!, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 84: F.F. - The Witness, Part 2
- SO Chapter 85: AWAKEN, Part 1
- SO Chapter 86: AWAKEN, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 87: AWAKEN, Part 3 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 88: AWAKEN, Part 4 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 89: Whitesnake - The Pursuer, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 90: Whitesnake - The Pursuer, Part 2
- SO Chapter 91: Whitesnake - The Pursuer, Part 3
- SO Chapter 92: Whitesnake - The Pursuer, Part 4
- SO Chapter 93: Whitesnake - The Pursuer, Part 5
- SO Chapter 94: Time for Heaven
- SO Chapter 95: New Moon! New Priest
- SO Chapter 96: Jail House Lock!, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 97: Jail House Lock!, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 98: Jail House Lock!, Part 3 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 100: Jail House Lock!, Part 5 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 102: Jailbreak... (Hand only)
- SO Chapter 104: Bohemian Rhapsody, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 119: Under World, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 129: Heavy Weather, Part 5 (Flashback)
- SO Chapter 133: Heavy Weather, Part 9
- SO Chapter 134: Heavy Weather, Part 10
- SO Chapter 135: Heavy Weather, Part 11
- SO Chapter 136: Heavy Weather, Part 12
- SO Chapter 137: Heavy Weather, Part 13
- SO Chapter 138: At Cape Canaveral (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 140: Gravity of the New Moon, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 141: C-MOON, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 145: C-MOON, Part 5 (Mentioned only)
- SO Chapter 149: Made in Heaven, Part 1 (Cover only)
- TJL Chapter 1: Mechanism (Cover only)
- SO Episode 4: The Visitor, Part 2 (Ability only)
- SO Episode 5: Prisoner of Love
- SO Episode 6: Ermes's Sticker (Flashback)
- SO Episode 7: There's Six of Us! (DISC only)
- SO Episode 8: Foo Fighters
- SO Episode 9: Marilyn Manson, the Debt Collector
- SO Episode 10: Operation Savage Garden (Head to the Courtyard!), Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SO Episode 11: Operation Savage Garden (Head to the Courtyard!), Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- SO Episode 12: Torrential Downpour Warning
- SO Episode 14: Kiss of Love and Revenge, Part 2 (Flashback)
- SO Episode 15: Ultra Security House Unit (Flashback)
- SO Episode 16: The Secret of Guard Westwood (Mentioned only)
- SO Episode 17: Enter the Dragon's Dream (Mentioned only)
- SO Episode 19: Birth of the "Green" (Mentioned only)
- SO Episode 20: F.F. - The Witness
- SO Episode 21: AWAKEN
- SO Episode 22: Time for Heaven! New Moon! New Priest!
- SO Episode 24: Jailbreak... (Hand only)
- SO Episode 28: Time For Heaven: Three Days Until the New Moon (Mentioned only)
- SO Episode 31: Heavy Weather, Part 2 (Flashback)
- SO Episode 32: Heavy Weather, Part 3
- SO Episode 33: Gravity of the New Moon (Mentioned only)
- SO Episode 34: C-MOON, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- SO Episode 36: Made in Heaven, Part 1
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 10: H.G. Wells (37th universe) (1st appearance)
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 12: Rhinoceros Beetle (37th universe)
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 14: Desolation Row (37th universe)
- JORGE JOESTAR Chapter 16: Beyond II (37th universe)
- “One move... too late... (「一手」遅カッタ…ナ…`Itte' oso katta… na…)”
- “Being able to pass something on to someone... is a beautiful thing. You said it yourself. In the meeting room. And you're exactly right... this is what I've wanted to take from the very start! This is what I wanted to receive from you, the invincible one! It's mine now! This is my Whitesnake's ability!”
- “The man who killed Kennedy ended his life this way too. I think his name was Lee Harvey Oswald? Dead men tell no tales. That's how history always works out.”
- “McQueen, that's what I like about you... I like you, I really do. At first glance, you look petty... but you're actually evil. McQueen, you have an evil that drags people down with you.”
- “McQueen... Truly... you are truly evil... You have no animosity. Animosity... Power moves towards animosity, and a stronger power will always come to crush animosity. Animosity will always be destroyed in the end. It's quite simple. But you're different. You neither possess animosity nor malice. You don't even want to cause anyone any problems. You think you're the victim, and even though you aren't interested in people, you're hoping that someone will come and save you someday. But that's what I mean by true evil. It's more evil than evil itself. It's true evil, which pulls people down into misfortune along with you. I really like you, McQueen. If you find one of my enemies in this prison, you'll be sure to clean them up and take them out for me...”
- “I've retrieved the DISC. (「
ＤＩＳＣ」を回収しました'Disuku' o kaishū shimashita)”
- “Just as the Earth has a proven 7 to 3 ratio between land and sea, it is said that there is a definite number of living organisms on Earth... It can be said that as the population of humans increase, proportionally, an equal number of other organisms die out... Therefore, retaining the set number life that is allowed to live on Earth. But... if there was a way.. for one human being to possess those lives, those millions of lives... What do you think that person would be able to see? What does the future hold for that person?”
- “Your brain? Wherever your brain is... it's not for you to decide. I was the one who gave you your Stand ability... Smug plankton scum like you don't have the right to lecture me!”
- “The one who gave you your ability and your intellect was me! And now, I want it back—the Foo Fighters DISC.”
- “This bitch! She had Weather Report make it rain!”
Whitesnake also appears in the novel 'JORGE JOESTAR', although it belongs to an incarnation of Enrico Pucci from the 37th universe. Kars develops his own enhanced copy of the Stand, known as Whitesnake Ultimate.
Puzzle & Dragons (Android/iOS)
Whitesnake was obtainable for a limited time as an Assist Evolution of Enrico Pucci in the mobile game Puzzle & Dragons.
- Hirohiko Araki states that Whitesnake extracts large amounts of information as discs because digital media had become standard. He also likes the Stand's design.
- Whitesnake and C-MOON's voice actor in All-Star Battle, Takuya Kirimoto, also voiced J. Geil and Hanged Man in the Part 3 TV Anime and Eyes of Heaven.
- In order to distinguish his voice for Whitesnake from his Pucci voice, Pucci's English voice actor, Yong Yea, uses Patrick Star from the SpongeBob SquarePants series as a reference.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 JOJOVELLER: STANDS, p.221-222
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 JOJOVELLER: Araki's Stand Commentaries - Whitesnake
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 SO Chapter 50: Torrential Downpour Warning, Part 3
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 SO Chapter 18: The Visitor, Part 8
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 SO Chapter 19: The Visitor, Part 9
- ↑ SO Chapter 94: Time for Heaven
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 SO Chapter 26: There's Six of Us!, Part 1
- ↑ SO Chapter 91: Whitesnake - The Pursuer, Part 3
- ↑ SO Chapter 22: Ermes's Sticker, Part 2
- ↑ SO Chapter 25: Ermes's Sticker, Part 5
- ↑ SO Chapter 20: Prisoner of Love
- ↑ SO Chapter 75: Father: Jotaro Kujo, Daughter: Jolyne Cujoh
- ↑ SO Chapter 48: Torrential Downpour Warning, Part 1
- ↑ SO Chapter 49: Torrential Downpour Warning, Part 2
- ↑ SO Chapter 135: Heavy Weather, Part 11, p.12
- ↑ SO Chapter 84: F.F. - The Witness, Part 2
- ↑ SO Chapter 17: The Visitor, Part 7
- ↑ SO Chapter 16: The Visitor, Part 6
- ↑ SO Chapter 92: Whitesnake - The Pursuer, Part 4
- ↑ https://youtu.be/sJXY7TMLzmk?t=617